Stranger Things

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
Zilla103192
Keizer

Stranger Things

Post by Zilla103192 »

I'm surprised as shit that this doesn't have a topic yet.

Who else is watching/watched this show? I'm about halfway done with it and I'm hooked.
Don't try to be something else. Don't try to be less. Great things are going to happen in your life. Great things. And with that will come great responsibility.

My Official Facebook Page! Like and Share!! https://www.facebook.com/DillonFisherAr ... e=bookmark

Futurian

Re: Stranger Things

Post by 3000 »

Watched it all the way through. One of the best tv shows this year, without a doubt. Already hoping for a second season.
Member of TK Since 2006

Zilla103192
Keizer

Post by Zilla103192 »

They confirmed a second season already. I'm fact I believe someone from Netflix said "it would be stupid" for them not too.
Don't try to be something else. Don't try to be less. Great things are going to happen in your life. Great things. And with that will come great responsibility.

My Official Facebook Page! Like and Share!! https://www.facebook.com/DillonFisherAr ... e=bookmark

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

It was pretty decent but honestly thought the final episode felt too rushed.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Rodan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Rodan »

I watched the whole series over three days the other week (with a weekend of travel in between). I liked it, but didn't love it. It was compelling enough to hook me for a binge-watch, but I feel like it came just shy of elevating its tropes and homages. I suppose I liked it enough to want it to be better -- both more frightening and more affecting.

The aesthetic is the best part of the show, but in so obviously consisting of homages, I feel it sometimes leans too sincerely on its narrative tropes. There are some really overwritten moments with the kids; the ending is very expected.

I'll tune in for a second season though. It's fun, but I'm probably not going to watch it again.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

I was a big fan, and am eagerly anticipating more. I will admit that the aesthetic is pretty much the biggest draw for me - well, that and I really like the character of Mike - but I also feel like it found a pretty tight way of relaying a pretty complicated plot without sacrificing character, and I liked that it generally used its references/homages in ways that helped convey story and character (a little akin to some of the better Tarantino flicks in that regard).

The wife and I generally made ourselves wait at least one day between episodes. The show is styled on an era when we had to wait for our cliffhangers to be resolved, and I think that was an important part of the viewing experience that leaves a big void when one binge watches.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Chris55
Site Director | Media Relations
Site Director | Media Relations

Post by Chris55 »

My friend Bobby directed a short that the Duffer Bros. wrote called "Road to Moloch" (which I did set photos on for a day). I'm on episode two now. Pretty interesting stuff.
Your misconceptions and fantasies along with your misguided sense of entitlement don't dictate my actions.

Spirit Ghidorah 2010
Xilien Halfling

Post by Spirit Ghidorah 2010 »

Alongside House of Cards, OITNB, and Daredevil, this is one of the finest Netflix originals I've watched.

That said, I really hope they don't explain too much shit in Season 2. That's the quickest way to suck out all the mystery and intrigue.
He/him/his

#Pro-Choice #ACAB #TransRights #BlackLivesMatter #vaccinate #EatTheRich #TheSatanicTemple

gvamp
Xilien Halfling

Post by gvamp »

I finished the show a few days after starting it. It was amazing especially being a child of the 80s myself well I mainly remember the late 80s but still.
Zilla103192 wrote:They confirmed a second season already. I'm fact I believe someone from Netflix said "it would be stupid" for them not too.
Second season hasn't been confirmed yet but it's all but guranteed at this point. With is much praise as the show has gotten I would be shocked if Netflix didn't confirm it.
Proud owner of a Xbox Series X, Switch OLED and PS5.

PC Specs
CPU: Intel i9 10900k, Motherboard: MSI Gaming Carbon Wi-Fi, Case: Corsair 4000D airflow, RAM: G.Skill DDR4 32GB (16GBx2), GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3080 Ti Vision, Storage: WD SN750 1TB, Mouse and Keyboard: Logitech G502 Lightspeed Mouse and Logitech G905 Keyboard.

ProfessorBeats
GPN Volunteer

Post by ProfessorBeats »

I liked the show - and I especially liked the short episode count - quite a bit. Great acting, superb music, a fun atmosphere, and above all, it was just solidly entertaining. It never stepped too far into the cerebral, and chose to just be a solid entertaining time with solidly entertaining characters for most of the time, and that is by far its strongest point.

That said, I also watched Poltergeist, E.T., Gremlins, It and Arachnophobia last month for the first time in a long time, and I still find all of those to be so far superior to Stranger Things that I'm a bit bewildered at the sheer walls of praise this show it getting. Comparisons are inevitable, and even the Duffer Bros have admitted to somewhat cringing at how rip-offy their show got, crossing the line beyond mere homage. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying "this isn't original, so why does everyone think it's good?!" I'm just a bit surprised that more critics and viewers AREN'T doing that.

Either way, I love the old Stephen King "adventuring kids fighting supernatural forces" thing, and I'm glad to see more of it. I like these characters a lot (and I love that they're ACTUALLY written like kids would really be), I like the setting, and I'm excited to see more. There sure were a lot of unanswered questions by the end, and I agree with the earlier poster to said they hope it doesn't get bogged down in explaining everything, but I sure am itching for a few specific things to be addressed. OH, also, pretty cool monster concept. Reminded me a lot of the DOOM games.
Agent of Seatopia

M.U.T.O.
Futurian

Post by M.U.T.O. »

Best show I've seen in a while. I absolutely enjoyed the hell out of it.
What do you call it when a railroad engineer moves toward a psychic?
Spoiler:
Approach Medium.

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

I'm echoing the statements above in that this is probably the best show I've seen in a while. It lured me in with it's mystery, and the desire to know more got me hooked. The sheriff is fucking hardcore.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

M.U.T.O.
Futurian

Post by M.U.T.O. »

Mornings are for coffee and contemplation, after all.
What do you call it when a railroad engineer moves toward a psychic?
Spoiler:
Approach Medium.

HayesAJones
Keizer

Post by HayesAJones »

Good show, but it would have been better if
Spoiler:
the tumorous love triangle plot (one guy's an asshole, the other took pictures of you undressing, so enjoy your choice, Nancy!) was cut out. I skipped through a lot of the scenes dedicated to it. Sadly, it was the only reason Nancy and Steve even existed, with poor Barb just being used to link it with the real plot.

Manticore
Gotengo Officer

Post by Manticore »

HayesAJones wrote:Good show, but it would have been better if
Spoiler:
the tumorous love triangle plot (one guy's an asshole, the other took pictures of you undressing, so enjoy your choice, Nancy!) was cut out. I skipped through a lot of the scenes dedicated to it. Sadly, it was the only reason Nancy and Steve even existed, with poor Barb just being used to link it with the real plot.
Agreed. Also...
Spoiler:
Kind of sad how poor Barb and the burger guy bited it, while assholes like the school bullies didn't become Demogorgon food.
Mr. Xeno wrote:
Manticore wrote: Also, I pretty much agree with the poll results. Sorry, I'm not that much of a fan of the campy, absurd Showa era.
Then you're not a TRRRRrrrRrrUUUUuuUUuuUUuueEEeeEEeeEeeE FFFFFFFAAAAAAaAaAaAaaaaAAaanNnnnnnNNnnNnnNnnNnNN!

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

Excellent mash up involving the opening theme by Nerf Herder to BUFFY:THE VAMPIRE SLAYER for STRANGER THINGS.

Needless to say the subject matter of STRANGER THINGS has made the show quite an object of interest among those in the cypto community, and conspiracy buffs. Especially tweaking the interest of was as many a fan, devote of the show may already know. The program's creators, the Duffer Brothers, had been pitching it around to other networks to no success until Netflix seized upon it ,and as they say, the rest is history. But what you may not know, is the original location for the show was not the burg of Hawkins, Indiana. But the eastern end of Long Island. The location of a military installation situated on an island called Montauk. (http://www.groundzeromedia.org/2016/09/ ... tauk-show/) Which was also the original name that STRANGER THINGS was planned to be titled. Supposedly among conspiracy theorists is where many an experiment in psychological warfare had been conducted. From the mentioned in the show MK-Ultra. To some even more far out stuff like the Philidelpia Experiment. And even using children in the course of their research like in the show. :freak:
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

RamshackleRanger
Futurian

Post by RamshackleRanger »

favorite show of 2016, absolutely love the symbolism and foreshadowing.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Mind if we discuss the purported new characters that will show up in the next season?

Added in 5 hours 1 minute 31 seconds:
Pardon the double post but here's a theory : The "Upside down" is really a parallel universe in which the world got destroyed by nuclear war between the east and west and the west is a mutated creature from said reality.

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

A Stranger Things Christmas.

And two new cast members are added to the fray for Season Two.
http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/34104 ... -things-2/

Added in 23 hours 48 minutes 38 seconds:
Brett Gelman becomes part of the cast of STRANGER THINGS as a disgruntled former newspaper reporter ,turned conspiracy theorist. Also joining the fun is Paul Rieser and Sean Astin.
http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/200499 ... ets-funny/

Added in 10 hours 39 minutes 29 seconds:
STRANGER THINGS:Season Two will be getting a spot featured on the Super Bowl this Sunday.
http://www.cbr.com/stranger-things-anno ... n-2-photo/
Who you gonna call ?
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

^is it possible that there will be a Transformers reference in season 2 since it takes place in 1984?