Monster Planet Trilogy Discussion

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
Rodan
Gotengo Officer

Re: GODZILLA ANIME ON THE HORIZON?

Post by Rodan »

LamangoKaijura wrote:
Rodan wrote:I just wish people -- both fans and detractors -- would stop discussing "anime" as if it's a genre.

It's not a genre. It's a regional identifier for content within the broader medium of animation -- content with its own set of regional tropes in both production techniques and visual shortcuts, sure -- but content that sees a range of styles and genres just like animation from anywhere else.
It's literally Japanese Cartoons. Nothing more, nothing less. Don't try to make it so artsy fartsy.
That's ... exactly what I'm saying.

There is a set of tropes that helps identify animation from Japan, though. That's why you can look at something and say, "Oh, it's anime- or Japanese-influenced." There's animation in Japan that completely bucks those trends, of course, but I wanted to acknowledge the fact that they exist and that there is actually a reason to discuss things in regional terms, sometimes.

But yeah -- it's just animation from Japan. Huge range of stuff. That's exactly what I was saying, so I'm not sure what you're asking for.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

I have a feeling after Shin Godzillas second weekend at the box office we could get a announcement.

So, what do you want this to be? A TV series or a movie? Both? Me, I want the live action movies to continue(Shin-Godzilla sequels) with a anime show on the side. Kind of how were getting Star Wars films every year but have Star Wars Rebels on the side. Godzilla has always been Japan's Star Wars, but doing something like this REALLY salitifys that.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

omgitsgodzilla wrote:Image

In all seriousness, though, I'll be interested to see how this pans out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H050JksyFao

Gallavant123
Samurai

Post by Gallavant123 »

LamangoKaijura wrote:
Rodan wrote:I just wish people -- both fans and detractors -- would stop discussing "anime" as if it's a genre.

It's not a genre. It's a regional identifier for content within the broader medium of animation -- content with its own set of regional tropes in both production techniques and visual shortcuts, sure -- but content that sees a range of styles and genres just like animation from anywhere else.
It's literally Japanese Cartoons. Nothing more, nothing less. Don't try to make it so artsy fartsy.
weebs be like

Young Guy
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Young Guy »

To me anime is a hit or a miss. This could be really good or really, REALLY bad.

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

Young Guy wrote:To me anime is a hit or a miss. This could be really good or really, REALLY bad.
Who knows? Best to keep our minds open.
Still the best, 1955... 8-)

Dracostar44
Samurai

Post by Dracostar44 »

I probably get shun for this but what if the anime consist of humans gaining and turning into Kaiju
Last edited by Dracostar44 on Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Why be king when you can be God

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

Dracostar44 wrote:I probably get shun for this but what if the anime consist of humans gaining and turning into Kaiju and also following Attack of Titan formula and style
That might sound like a parody, or a spoof.
Still the best, 1955... 8-)

SomeknowmeasXeno
Terminated
Terminated

Post by SomeknowmeasXeno »

Dracostar44 wrote:I probably get shun for this but what if the anime consist of humans gaining and turning into Kaiju and also following Attack of Titan formula and style
http://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25147

I did it first! With only Kenji Miku, but still.

Added in 2 minutes 12 seconds:
OT: Please take ques from the pipeworks games for the action scenes, please take ques from the pipeworks games.

Added in 16 minutes 29 seconds:
Rody wrote:A Trigger Godzilla show would probably be crazy-awesome. :g64:
YES! YES! Sweet dreams are made of this!

I would die a VERY happy man seeing that. Just imagine if Kiryu was in it, he could have an over the top transformation sequence when linking up with his 'battle-pack'! Bring back his drill-hand! "This drill is a drill that can pierce the heavens!"

Super Godzilla Vs King Ghidorah, or SpaceGodzilla, or Bagan... above the Earth... my life would be complete.
Spoiler:
*Sigh* I'm never getting a Studio Trigger Godzilla anime...
"Tonight, when the blood moon finishes rising, I will summon my brother Yuul'syqpoth into this sphere of existence, and that's absolutely fantastic."

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

SomeknowmeasXeno wrote:OT: Please take ques from the pipeworks games for the action scenes, please take ques from the pipeworks games.
I'm not sure how I'd feel seeing monsters fly literally thousands of feet into the sky when hit with uppercuts :lol:
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

For me the animation style isn't that big a deal. I would like to see good storylines and characters in this.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

SomeknowmeasXeno
Terminated
Terminated

GigaBowserG wrote:
SomeknowmeasXeno wrote:OT: Please take ques from the pipeworks games for the action scenes, please take ques from the pipeworks games.
I'm not sure how I'd feel seeing monsters fly literally thousands of feet into the sky when hit with uppercuts :lol:
SHORYUKEN! Come on... it'd be awesome.
"Tonight, when the blood moon finishes rising, I will summon my brother Yuul'syqpoth into this sphere of existence, and that's absolutely fantastic."

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

The Pipeworks games had a lot of good melee moves for Ghidorah, I'll give them that. I wouldn't mind seeing some of those end up in a movie or the anime.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

JAGzilla wrote:The Pipeworks games had a lot of good melee moves for Ghidorah, I'll give them that. I wouldn't mind seeing some of those end up in a movie or the anime.
Awkward combat used in a fighting game should be the farthest thing that they use for inspiration. I'm just waiting to get official confirmation this is happening before getting my hopes up and all excited

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Godzillian wrote: Awkward combat used in a fighting game should be the farthest thing that they use for inspiration.
Apologies in advance if I'm wrong, but the dismissiveness of that statement suggests that you haven't actually played the games. Yeah, they overall fail to capture the feel of kaiju combat in the movies, but that doesn't mean some of the less outlandish moves they came up with couldn't easily be adapted for use in other mediums.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

SomeknowmeasXeno
Terminated
Terminated

JAGzilla wrote:
Godzillian wrote: Awkward combat used in a fighting game should be the farthest thing that they use for inspiration.
Apologies in advance if I'm wrong, but the dismissiveness of that statement suggests that you haven't actually played the games. Yeah, they overall fail to capture the feel of kaiju combat in the movies, but that doesn't mean some of the less outlandish moves they came up with couldn't easily be adapted for use in other mediums.
Yeah but they weren't trying to be the movies. Godzilla Generations 3... I mean Godzilla Vs was, so that's more grounded kaiju combat. The pipeworks games were doing their own thing: it was the closest we'll probably get to a shonen kaiju thing. Still, Godzilla's use of mixed martial arts and wrestling moves was really a good way to portray an anime-esque Godzilla's fighting style and is the sort of thing that works with him in an over-the-top setting.

Oh and Final Wars took moves from the pipeworks games and gave them to their respective kaiju, another reason I love that movie. I know it's just me, but I feel the fighting styles the kaiju had in the Vortaak trilogy would just work the best if the possible Godzilla anime takes a more action-oriented route.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

cmdmstudios wrote:People seem to not get that Godzilla X Mechagodzilla was basically a live action mecha anime film.

Socially detached protagonist that pilots a robot that is built around the very thing they are fighting against that has a limited energy source when in use and also sometimes goes berserk. Sounds an awful lot like a popular anime from the 90's if you ask me.

Anyways, I, for one, welcome our new animated kajiu overlords.
Image Image

"It's gone berserk!!!"

Yes, this absolutely!!
Young Guy wrote:To me anime is a hit or a miss. This could be really good or really, REALLY bad.
You could say that about pretty much anything. :|

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I want Toho to make this a thing!

http://fav.me/d4srv2t
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

SomeknowmeasXeno
Terminated
Terminated

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:I want Toho to make this a thing!

http://fav.me/d4srv2t
As an anime? Nah. As a saturday morning cartoon? Fuck yeah, I can see it working great. Could be like TMNT and Transformers but with Godzilla. Make Godzilla black and not green though and I'm totally on board.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

SomeknowmeasXeno wrote:
JAGzilla wrote:
Yeah but they weren't trying to be the movies. Godzilla Generations 3... I mean Godzilla Vs was, so that's more grounded kaiju combat. The pipeworks games were doing their own thing: it was the closest we'll probably get to a shonen kaiju thing. Still, Godzilla's use of mixed martial arts and wrestling moves was really a good way to portray an anime-esque Godzilla's fighting style and is the sort of thing that works with him in an over-the-top setting.

Oh and Final Wars took moves from the pipeworks games and gave them to their respective kaiju, another reason I love that movie. I know it's just me, but I feel the fighting styles the kaiju had in the Vortaak trilogy would just work the best if the possible Godzilla anime takes a more action-oriented route.
I have played them and they feel like standard fighting with a move or two detailed for each characters abilities. Final Wars is the last thing any future Godzilla media should look to for inspiration for fights.