Godzilla vs SpaceGodzilla (1994)

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
Rodan
Gotengo Officer

Re: Godzilla vs SpaceGodzilla (1994)

Post by Rodan »

Kaiser wrote:The abruptness of the "ass shot" was always what bothered me more than anything else. It just comes out of nowhere and feels so out of place in a Godzilla film that it feels like Tyler Durden is messing with your movie. It just provokes this "did I really just see that?" kind of reaction. I have no problems with male nudity handled tastefully but it's just such a bizarre scene that it ends up overshadowing most of the movie, which is probably more of a comment on how dull the film is than anything else.
Uh ... does it? I never remember the shower scene when I think about this movie. I don't think it's ever really phased me. It's, like, standard Japanese non-sexual nudity -- nothing about it ever seemed wildly out of place.
Space Hunter M wrote:If anyone has the TV version in HD, tell me (not like I expect much from this shit fandom).
[/quote
]Not going to disagree with the parenthetical, but of all the things you could call it out for, does not having access to obscure, post-home-media TV recordings really need to be one of them?

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

Israha wrote:I don't think Miki's lack of purpose in the later Heisei entries is that much of a problem. After all, it looks like she's meant to be just a recurring character to make the movies look more like direct sequels to one another, nothing more. And while I agree that giving her more background and personality wouldn't hurt anything, it wouldn't significantly improve any of the movies either.
Actually it would that and actually having continuity would improve the films by quite a bit.
Godzilla

GODZILLA2877
G-Force Personnel

Post by GODZILLA2877 »

I want to know why Godzilla Jr. looks so different in this movie compared to what he looked like in Godzilla vs. MechaGodzilla. In Godzilla vs. MechaGodzilla, he looks like Godzillasaurus but in Godzilla vs. SpaceGodzilla, he looks like a chibi version of Godzilla. Plus, he's green. Why is he green?! His dad isn't green. :?

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

GODZILLA2877 wrote:I want to know why Godzilla Jr. looks so different in this movie compared to what he looked like in Godzilla vs. MechaGodzilla. In Godzilla vs. MechaGodzilla, he looks like Godzillasaurus but in Godzilla vs. SpaceGodzilla, he looks like a chibi version of Godzilla. Plus, he's green. Why is he green?! His dad isn't green. :?
Exposer to Godzilla's immense radiation
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

GODZILLA2877 wrote:I want to know why Godzilla Jr. looks so different in this movie compared to what he looked like in Godzilla vs. MechaGodzilla. In Godzilla vs. MechaGodzilla, he looks like Godzillasaurus but in Godzilla vs. SpaceGodzilla, he looks like a chibi version of Godzilla. Plus, he's green. Why is he green?! His dad isn't green. :?
Kawakita wanted a cuter look to Godzillas offspring for this movie. No idea why

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Maybe sympathy. We would feel more for the little monster when it was being attacked and then imprisoned.

Another possible reason for keeping Miki around is her role as Godzilla's advocate. She's the only one that feels concern for Godzilla while everyone else wants to use or destroy Godzilla. Miki shows Godzilla is like us in some ways.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

GODZILLA2877
G-Force Personnel

Post by GODZILLA2877 »

I wish Azusa was in this movie. :(

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

The much-maligned Spacegodzilla was one of my favorites growing up- probably because of the very visual, sci-fi nature of it. I compared the Heisei kaiju to tanks in my Mechagodzilla II review, and nowhere is it more evident than here- Mogeura and Spacegodzilla especially are heavily-fortified beasts, blasting at each other with a variety of energy weapons unrivaled, I think, in any G-film before or since.

And yet... and yet, there's something missing. I like the characters, and their arcs are very clear. Miki gets a bigger role, and a romance. Spacegodzilla is visually striking (with more than a few evident Biollante traits, so that's the origin I'm going with), and a very clear, mustache-twirling black hat, nasty in a way that only Destroyah will manage to top. The score is very recognizable, and the effects- while uneven- are plentiful. The plot is straightforward. And heck, I'm a sucker for Little Godzilla; I don't mind cute.

All the pieces are there for a great film. And yet, for some reason, they don't get into a cohesive whole, for some reason.

The final battle is well-staged, proceeds in identifiable stages and steps with clear goals, and is not too one-sided. It ought to be a fantastic battle-royale, but somehow, the pacing just leaves it feeling way too long. Similarly, the character-bits, though workable, and nicely tied back to the prior films, just don't engage either. This is possibly Miki's best showcase- certainly since her introduction- but beyond that, the characters just... aren't that interesting, even though they should be.

I can't put my finger on what it is, but this is a series of good ideas whose excution fails them; all the right ingredients, but undercooked to make a bad dish.

Honestly, out of nostalgia, I'm still rooting for this one. And there are a lot of elements to love. There's one long shot of Godzilla wading ashore that's truly gorgeous, one of the best 'scale' shots in the Heisei series. It looks so good... it really belongs in vs. Mothra. :-) There are good effects, good setpieces, a nice villain theme... there's good stuff. But it just doesn't gel.

Little Godzilla's fate is probably a perfect example. He should be sympathetic (he is to me)- but to a lot fo people, he isn't. His plight should be Godzilla's driving force- 'this time, it's personal'- but they don't even show Godzilla trying to free him from the crystal trap; the movie just seems to forget about him until the end. This should be a great idea, and a way to truly make the 'evil' (or at least 'force of unthinking destruction that must be stopped') Godzilla of the Heisei series sympathetic... but they just don't pull it off. Your imagination can fill in those blanks and generate the sympathy... but the film itself doesn't.

And one could argue that the romances of the film are the same way. Your imagination can fill in the blanks to make the relationships work, but the film doesn't really give us enough to.

Maybe they focused a little too much on that spectacle that my juvenile self loved, and the rest of the film suffered for it. I don't know. Either way, I still like this better than GvMGII, Return of Godzilla, and possibly vs. Destroyah, so it's not an absolute flop... but it is a flop, and it shouldn't be. The elements are all there, and perhaps that's what's so frustrating about this film. It could've been a winner, should've been... but it isn't.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

Just finished rewatching this for the first time in what HAS to be at least 15 years.

And...wow. o_o()

1. Okay, one thing I think is very underrated here is how GREAT Godzilla looks and moves here. The guys who made GMK's suit must've looked to this one for guidance, because the suit itself moves really naturally! I know this one has the biggest reputation for "thunder thighs", but going back to it now...honestly, it's nowhere near as bad as it's made out to be and not distracting at all. Not once did I look at Godzilla and go "Wow, this legs are too big" - honestly, it looks all proportionally correct to me. (Also, what pretty eyes!)

2. I've always liked the music in this movie, and that remains true now. ^_^

3. Like Godzilla himself, Little Godzilla is nowhere near as out of place as I remembered him being. Yeah, he's very cutesy, but whereas I remembered Barney the Dinosaur what I found here was actually pretty believable as being a very young Godzilla. He's adorable, like a kitten. ^.^

4. But, OMG, the SCRIPT. What the hell happened here? GvMG'93 may bog down a little in the second act, but overall is still a clear, relatively well-paced, well-written story. THIS? It's like they had two or three different unrelated movies in mind, handed all three treatments to the screenwriter Friday afternoon and said, "We expect the final draft screenplay by Monday morning."

The movie just starts and for the first 10 minutes or so just proceeds with no explanation for who anyone is, what's going on, or why. The whole Project T storyline goes literally no where, and if it weren't for the fact that 90% of the character developing scenes takes place on Birth Island then every single bit of it could be cut with zero repercussions. Yuki's storyline and character arc, particularly on Birth Island, is ridiculous - and if you don't go in already knowing about his character's backstory makes no sense at all. (And I feel bad for the person who blinked when Gondo DOES explain, because it's only given once and never brought up again.)

It's like the movie wants to be Biollante, but just fails so SO much at it. We've got people running around Birth Island trying to kill Godzilla with pistols and rifles, we've got a completely pointless (and unexplained) kidnapping/mad scientist plot, and just...just so much. UGH! I don't know if even a fan edit could fix this, because if I went at it I MIGHT end up with a 45 minute runtime.

I think I'm so upset about it because there's a lot of decent stuff here - the B plot with Mogera and Space Godzilla is actually just fine. It could use tightening up and trimming, maybe some reordering of events, but in general makes for an enjoyable story. Sigh. What a missed opportunity, and bafflingly so considering how much the previous film (IMO) got right.

Godzillafan11
Monsterland Worker

Post by Godzillafan11 »

Just got dobe watching this movie and i really liked it !My favorites are from 1984 Return Of Godzilla/ 85 to 1995 Destroyah becaause of Suit eused from Biolante on to Destroyal and suit in 84/85 was okay ! But i would like to know what happens to Little Godzilla at the end of SpaceGodzilla? all you see him is blowing Bubbles? :D
Long Live King Of All Monsters Godzilla

Scarlet Spider
Interpol Agent

Post by Scarlet Spider »

Underrated movie. I really liked it. Though I was 4 years old when I saw it the first time, I was very distraught at Space Godzilla imprisoning Little Godzilla. At the time I had thought SpaceGoji killed him, which made me get a bit upset and Godzilla walking off depressed. I'm so ashamed. :oops:
Godzillafan11 wrote:Just got dobe watching this movie and i really liked it !My favorites are from 1984 Return Of Godzilla/ 85 to 1995 Destroyah becaause of Suit eused from Biolante on to Destroyal and suit in 84/85 was okay ! But i would like to know what happens to Little Godzilla at the end of SpaceGodzilla? all you see him is blowing Bubbles? :D
Little Godzilla was released from his crystal prison after Godzilla killed Space godzilla. He's fine.

RandomDeinonychus
JXSDF Technician

Post by RandomDeinonychus »

Rodan wrote:
Kaiser wrote:The abruptness of the "ass shot" was always what bothered me more than anything else. It just comes out of nowhere and feels so out of place in a Godzilla film that it feels like Tyler Durden is messing with your movie. It just provokes this "did I really just see that?" kind of reaction. I have no problems with male nudity handled tastefully but it's just such a bizarre scene that it ends up overshadowing most of the movie, which is probably more of a comment on how dull the film is than anything else.
Uh ... does it? I never remember the shower scene when I think about this movie. I don't think it's ever really phased me. It's, like, standard Japanese non-sexual nudity -- nothing about it ever seemed wildly out of place.
I mean, it's certainly an odd bit because it comes out of nowhere and has nothing to do with anything, but as you say that's probably just cultural norms influencing how we react to it. And nobody ever says Gamera 2: Advent of Legion gets overshadowed because of the brief scene in a bath house where we see multiple naked men behind the dad watching the news report with his young son.

Still, I'm firmly in the camp that loves this movie. I think it's a fun Showa throwback and while I appreciate all the reasons most fans hate it, my affection for it has never really diminished. (Unlike another black sheep of the fandom, Godzilla: Final Wars, which I used to adore but now merely like)

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Post by LamangoKaijura »

Scarlet Spider wrote:Just finished watching this movie. I enjoy the lengths Godzilla went through to save his son. Little things like holding him when Space Godzilla was firing at them and shielding him.
And then forgetting the lil bastard was inside the crystal hole. :lol:
Imagine getting angry your out of date and obsolete stats for rubber suit monsters were 'stolen'.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

[quote="Zarm"]
Little Godzilla's fate is probably a perfect example. He should be sympathetic (he is to me)- but to a lot fo people, he isn't. His plight should be Godzilla's driving force- 'this time, it's personal'- but they don't even show Godzilla trying to free him from the crystal trap; the movie just seems to forget about him until the end. This should be a great idea, and a way to truly make the 'evil' (or at least 'force of unthinking destruction that must be stopped') Godzilla of the Heisei series sympathetic... but they just don't pull it off. Your imagination can fill in those blanks and generate the sympathy... but the film itself doesn't.

There was a planned scene that would show Godzill examining the crystal prison, but it was cut from the film.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

RandomDeinonychus wrote: Still, I'm firmly in the camp that loves this movie. I think it's a fun Showa throwback and while I appreciate all the reasons most fans hate it
There is nothing 'Showa-like' about this movie except (maybe) for it's ridiculous premise, but I have no idea if that's what you're implying by "throwback".
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

RandomDeinonychus
JXSDF Technician

Goji wrote:
RandomDeinonychus wrote: Still, I'm firmly in the camp that loves this movie. I think it's a fun Showa throwback and while I appreciate all the reasons most fans hate it
There is nothing 'Showa-like' about this movie except (maybe) for it's ridiculous premise, but I have no idea if that's what you're implying by "throwback".
An alien monster created by nonsense science and a heroic Godzilla all strike me as very Showa-like, but apparently your mileage varies.

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

RandomDeinonychus wrote:An alien monster created by nonsense scienc
:?: I don't remember any monster other than Jet that was created through random science at all, unless you count the German Dubs.

Heisei is the series that strikes me the most about having unrealstic science and random stuff.
RandomDeinonychus wrote:and a heroic Godzilla all strike me as very Showa-like
Heisei doesn't strike me as Showa like very much.
Godzilla

RandomDeinonychus
JXSDF Technician

g2vd wrote:
RandomDeinonychus wrote:An alien monster created by nonsense science
:?: I don't remember any monster other than Jet that was created through random science at all, unless you count the German Dubs.

Heisei is the series that strikes me the most about having unrealstic science and random stuff.
Apparently, you've never heard of a little thing called "space titanium." :P I was specifically thinking of that kind of nonsense science rather actual direct creation.

Also, if we're going to get far more technical than I actually intended, Kamacuras (and possibly Kumonga) was created through "random science." You can also make arguments for Ebirah and Gigan, as well, but unlike Kamacuras we're never explicitly told that Ebirah is a mutant and unlike Mechagodzilla we're not told that Gigan was deliberately created.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Although the Showa era might have thrown out bits of sci-fi phebotinum now and then, they never dedicated the kind of time to tiresome explanations of their nonsense science.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

RandomDeinonychus wrote:And nobody ever says Gamera 2: Advent of Legion gets overshadowed because of the brief scene in a bath house where we see multiple naked men behind the dad watching the news report with his young son.
...Errrr, that's probably just because we were lucky enough to miss it until now... :shock: :freak:
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!