Monster Planet Trilogy Discussion

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
GTU
Xilien Halfling

Re: GODZILLA ANIME ON THE HORIZON?

Post by GTU »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:
Kaiju-King42 wrote:
Oh please no. God, please no.

I'd rather keep random giant penguins out of this, thank you very much.
Congratulations! You've just revealed you've never seen Evangelion!
Nope, but I HAVE seen TV Tropes.

Unless my eyes deceive me, that is a giant random penguin.
One of the characters has a pet penguin with human-level intelligence. That's about it.
[clever statement pending]
Genuinely likes Godzilla's Revenge
Steam Profile thing (PM me if you send a friend request)

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Congratulations then. You, and many others on this site, win the prestigious award of making quick judgements based on how others portray things, rather than watching something for yourself, seeing the "weird shit" in context and actually forming your own opinions!

And no, there's no giant penguin, that's Pen, a very small gag who is easily the most forgettable part of Eva, and maybe has a total of a minute of screen time in the entire series
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:Congratulations then. You, and many others on this site, win the prestigious award of making quick judgements based on how others portray things, rather than watching something for yourself, seeing the "weird shit" in context and actually forming your own opinions!
Funny, I recall the exact opposite mentality during the Ghostbusters fiasco. "If you don't like what you see, don't see it." :P

I know enough about Eva - and Godzilla: Resurgence for that matter - that I can form the reasonably accurate prediction that I wouldn't be much of a fan of a Godzilla Anime by Anno. I'd prefer something fun.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:I'd prefer something fun.
Eva has plently of fun moments, albeit mainly early on, before it starts getting really dark around...episode 14, if I recall. It's not like Anno doesn't know how to have fun.

I know I'm screaming into a void here, but I'd give it a try. You might liiike it...

But anyways, I'm so excited that this is finally happening. I think I would prefer it to be a film instead of a series, but i'm fine with either as long as it's good. Certainly, I'd prefer a true narrative as opposed to something episodic.
Last edited by G2000 on Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:27 am, edited 3 times in total.
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:Congratulations then. You, and many others on this site, win the prestigious award of making quick judgements based on how others portray things
Yeah, those people who make quick judgements without knowing what they're talking about sure are annoying, right LSD?

Anyway, I know next to nothing about EVA, but I'd also be in the camp that would prefer fun over grim 'n' gritty. Something along the lines of Rulers of Earth, properly executed, would be ideal.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

I gotta say, as a fan of both Godzilla and anime, I'm surprised the fanbases don't overlap as much as you'd think. Kaiju films are very stylized like an anime, the energy attacks, the weird powers. Some of the later Godzilla films have a definite anime influence. Hell the Gamera triology in the 90's felt like a 3 part anime OVA, Gamera's powers like the giant firball at the end of GOTU, the Mana Beam and the Flaming Fist all scream anime/manga.

I honestly meet far fewer G-fans who happen to like anime than G-fan who don't like anime. And even fewer anime fans who like Godzilla.
PRIMEVAL wrote:I'd be for a Godzilla anime, as long as there's no fan service or pedophilia undertones which seems to be rampant in most animes these days.
This post made me cringe.

Added in 2 minutes 26 seconds:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:I've always felt the instant that Godzilla translates into anime suddenly there's no need for the live action films.
:roll:

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:I said a few months ago I'd be against this, but if it's in the right hands fine. The obvious choice is Anno, go with Anno, get GAINAX. And keep it short, 24 episodes max. No dumb 183 episodes.
Anno left Gainax, actually. He's the one who started up Khara, the studio who now owns the Evangelion franchise.
That said, with Anno being the main man behind Shin Gojira, I could totally see Studio Khara taking the helm of a potential Godzilla anime - which I'd be perfectly fine with, considering the quality of the Rebuild films and the variety Japan Animator Expo brought together. Don't forget the latter series even had tribute episodes for Gridman and Ultraman! (plus at least one original kaiju short)
I could also see Trigger getting involved, since, from what I understand, most of Gainax's best people left to form Khara and/or Trigger, and they sometimes go back and forth between studios. Trigger supplied a few shorts for the Expo, too, including the Gridman one.
A Trigger Godzilla show would probably be crazy-awesome. :g64:

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Post by LamangoKaijura »

I've always felt the instant that Godzilla translates into anime suddenly there's no need for the live action films.
Imagine getting angry your out of date and obsolete stats for rubber suit monsters were 'stolen'.

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:I've always felt the instant that Godzilla translates into anime suddenly there's no need for the live action films.
I don't think so after all Comic Book Superheroes like Iron Man, Batman, Spider-Man and many, many, many others have all been animated at one time or another, it didn't make Comic Books obsolete or their own Live-Action movies obsolete.

Why do you think so?
Godzilla

PRIMEVAL
Gotengo Officer

Post by PRIMEVAL »

Living Corpse wrote:
PRIMEVAL wrote:I'd be for a Godzilla anime, as long as there's no fan service or pedophilia undertones which seems to be rampant in most animes these days.
Such is the effect of anime in most cases.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

PRIMEVAL wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:
No, my cringing is the result of your ignorance on anime.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

If this is real, then I see the usual anime character types, given the subject matter. It will be mainly military and scientists, with one ordinary guy or girl involved.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

G2000 wrote: I know I'm screaming into a void here, but I'd give it a try. You might liiike it...
Maybe... But I'm also just starting out on anime for the first time. I've only seen ONE show so far (or two, depending on whether you're the type who considers Avatar to be an anime), and at this early stage, avoiding something as polarizing as Eva might be for the better. If I watch it, I doubt it'll be within the year.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

M.U.T.O.
Futurian

Post by M.U.T.O. »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:
G2000 wrote: I know I'm screaming into a void here, but I'd give it a try. You might liiike it...
Maybe... But I'm also just starting out on anime for the first time. I've only seen ONE show so far (or two, depending on whether you're the type who considers Avatar to be an anime), and at this early stage, avoiding something as polarizing as Eva might be for the better. If I watch it, I doubt it'll be within the year.
The only reasons it's polarizing, really, are
1) People getting disappointed when they realize Evangelion isn't just super-crazy giant robot action with the common tropes of some sort of action-packed anime -- when in fact it has a good deal of action but is intended to actually make you think, or;
2) The ending(s).

To be perfectly honest, Evangelion was actually my first anime. And I liked it a lot. As long as you keep in mind that it's absolutely not your conventional mech-type anime, or at least keep an open mind while watching, I think you should be good.

ANYWAYS, I'd like to see what they'd do with a Godzilla anime. It'd be interesting to see what themes they'd incorporate and how the animation is actually done. And, to rebuke someone's fears, I highly doubt they'd do fanservice in an anime belonging to a franchise which has taken a very serious tone with its most recent film. Then again, I'm pretty sure there are some anime that actually took a serious situation and fanserviced the shit out of it...but that's a rather rare case to my knowledge.
What do you call it when a railroad engineer moves toward a psychic?
Spoiler:
Approach Medium.

TetsukiGroudon
Terminated
Terminated

Post by TetsukiGroudon »

I have a love/hate relationship with anime. Though with that being said, I've hardly watched any.(That includes Eva, I have no knowledge of it whatsoever, to be honest.) However, I await to see what this is going to turn out to be.
LamangoKaijura wrote: Image
Heeeeeeeey, don't diss on Hamtaro.

PRIMEVAL
Gotengo Officer

Post by PRIMEVAL »

Living Corpse wrote:
PRIMEVAL wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:

No, my cringing is the result of your ignorance on anime.
:roll: I call it how I see it.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

M.U.T.O. wrote:
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Maybe... But I'm also just starting out on anime for the first time. I've only seen ONE show so far (or two, depending on whether you're the type who considers Avatar to be an anime), and at this early stage, avoiding something as polarizing as Eva might be for the better. If I watch it, I doubt it'll be within the year.
The only reasons it's polarizing, really, are
1) People getting disappointed when they realize Evangelion isn't just super-crazy giant robot action with the common tropes of some sort of action-packed anime -- when in fact it has a good deal of action but is intended to actually make you think, or;
2) The ending(s).

To be perfectly honest, Evangelion was actually my first anime. And I liked it a lot. As long as you keep in mind that it's absolutely not your conventional mech-type anime, or at least keep an open mind while watching, I think you should be good.
Neon Genesis Evangelion was my first anime* as well. I don't know if that was the best place for me to start, but I'd be lying if I said the show hasn't stuck with me ever since. NGE takes a lot of aesthetic and narrative cues from Tokusatsu (especially Ultraman), but the focus in NGE is on the deeply human conflicts, rather than the giant monster/mech battles. NGE also satirizes certain aspects of anime and the mecha genre (like the usage of fanservice), but if you're new to the genre/medium (as I was), some or a lot of it may go over your head.
That said, if you're a Tokusatsu fan you probably should give NGE a try at some point; again, it's loaded with references, etc. Random example:
http://jimpluff.tumblr.com/post/1483734 ... evangelion
The 15th Angel from Evangelion ep. 22, Arael, seems to take inspiration from the shot of Alien Perolynga’s saucer fleet from Ultraseven ep. 45. Also, the Angel and the fleet are both orbiting Earth and entering in contact with Earthlings: Arael probes Asuka’s mind and Perolynga tries to use a child to fool the Ultra Garrison.
*Actually, it was my first TV series. Spirited Away was my first anime overall.

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Post by Maverick Centigrade »

This is quite interesting. Very eager to see what they're up to.
"I vote for outer space, no way these are local boys"
"Hello, Japan? Connect me to Godzilla please"

GTU
Xilien Halfling

Post by GTU »

I find it hilarious that there are people who are likely to get defensive if told by a non-fan that every Godzilla movie is two Japanese dudes dressed in cheap rubber suits beating the crap out of each other, who when it comes to anime are just like, "lol fuck that weird japanese shit."
[clever statement pending]
Genuinely likes Godzilla's Revenge
Steam Profile thing (PM me if you send a friend request)

M.U.T.O.
Futurian

Post by M.U.T.O. »

GTU wrote:I find it hilarious that there are people who are likely to get defensive if told by a non-fan that every Godzilla movie is two Japanese dudes dressed in cheap rubber suits beating the crap out of each other, who when it comes to anime are just like, "lol fuck that weird japanese shit."
I guess that's the twisted irony of this fandom, isn't it?
What do you call it when a railroad engineer moves toward a psychic?
Spoiler:
Approach Medium.