Monster Planet Trilogy Discussion

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
atomiccrusader
Samurai

Monster Planet Trilogy Discussion

Post by atomiccrusader »

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/daily-b ... ho/.104979

Article says it all. Toho registered a domain name called "godzilla-anime.com" on August 2.

No clue if this will be a series or a movie, but I guess we're getting a Godzilla anime.

EDIT: Confirmed. http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... es/.105542

Kobun Shizuno (Detective Conan: The Darkest Nightmare and other Detective Conan movies, Fist of the North Star: The Legend of Kenshirô, Fist of the North Star: The Legend of Toki) and Hiroyuki Seshita (Ajin, Knights of Sidonia) are directing the film at POLYGON PICTURES. Gen Urobuchi (Puella Magi Madoka Magica, Fate/Zero, Psycho-Pass) of Nitroplus is credted with the story concept and screenplay.

The film will open next year. TOHO Ad Co., Ltd registered the godzilla-anime.com domain earlier this month.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.
And Then A Skeleton Popped Out! | Check out my Tumblr: http://atomic-crusader.tumblr.com

Scarlet Spider
Interpol Agent

Re: GODZILLA ANIME ON THE HORIZON?

Post by Scarlet Spider »

Which design you guys thinking they'll use? I know Heisei is very popular in Japan.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I'd be down for a more melee-capable anime Biogoji, if that happens.

Anyway, this is interesting news. I won't hold my breath for anything to happen yet, given how many recent kaiju projects have been dragged into the bowels of Development Hell, but we can hope.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

PRIMEVAL
Gotengo Officer

Post by PRIMEVAL »

I'd be for a Godzilla anime, as long as there's no fan service or pedophilia undertones which seems to be rampant in most animes these days.

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

I think it's either going to be a totally new continuity OR it's going to be canon with Shin Godzilla.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

One Word: AAAWWWWWEEEEESSSSSOOOOOOMMMMMMEEEEEEE!!!

Finally a new Animated Godzilla feature! the first one since Godzilla The Series ended 16 years ago.

And of course the obvious...I wonder what kinda design we might see? I do really hope it's not a another Heisei design I really do.
Godzilla

ShodaiGoji
Samurai

Post by ShodaiGoji »

I am so excited! It would make sense to try to tie into the Shin Gojira canon (I know little of the plot so I dont know if that is even possible), but knowing TOHO's love (or love of its financial success) for the Heisei era, I imagine we'll see something closer to his Heisei design.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

I'm expecting either a semi-modified Heisei design or Shin Godzilla. Still, I hope they're flexible with the designs of other monsters and don't stick to one particular era. Pretty exciting!
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

Rodan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Rodan »

So they're finally making anime real?

If this pans out, I wouldn't be surprised if it's something short set within the Shin Godzilla universe.

Though, don't get me wrong: I'm holding out for a full-blown magical girl series.

MoarCrossovers
Xilien Halfling

Post by MoarCrossovers »

Rodan wrote:Though, don't get me wrong: I'm holding out for a full-blown magical girl series.
You'll like Tsubasaya's new show, then.
Platypus Prime wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:21 pm I realized today that thanks to a few animations and manga she's appeared in, Biollante is an anime girl.

GalacticPetey
Gotengo Officer

Post by GalacticPetey »

I can see this going two ways.

1. A more serious series set in the universe of Shin Gojira

2. A balls to wall, Rulers of Earth style action show full of fan service in the form of classic monsters and character archetypes
I can't believe that Godzilla was the only surviving member of its species, but if we continue conducting nuclear tests, it's possible that another Godzilla might appear somewhere in the world again.

Rodan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Rodan »

Birdman wrote:
Rodan wrote:Though, don't get me wrong: I'm holding out for a full-blown magical girl series.
You'll like Tsubasaya's new show, then.
The one with Ultra Monsters being portrayed by fetishized cartoon girls?

You got me. Pretty much the greatest artistic idea of the century.
GalacticPetey wrote:2. A balls to wall, Rulers of Earth style action show full of fan service in the form of classic monsters and character archetypes
Unless it's a quirky-ass Showa-era approach with a heightened '60s/'70s style, I really don't want this.

Also, people seem to be assuming this would be a TV series. It's just as likely (more likely?) to be an OVA, if anything.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

GalacticPetey wrote:2. A balls to wall, Rulers of Earth style action show full of fan service in the form of classic monsters and character archetypes
Honestly, that's all I want.

GalacticPetey
Gotengo Officer

Post by GalacticPetey »

Rodan wrote:
Unless it's a quirky-ass Showa-era approach with a heightened '60s/'70s style, I really don't want this.

Also, people seem to be assuming this would be a TV series. It's just as likely (more likely?) to be an OVA, if anything.
I'd be down if it was a high energy, Showa styled show, but I can already imagine it being about "anti-hero Heisei Godzilla" with a bunch of military characters.
I can't believe that Godzilla was the only surviving member of its species, but if we continue conducting nuclear tests, it's possible that another Godzilla might appear somewhere in the world again.

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

Rodan wrote:So they're finally making anime real?

If this pans out, I wouldn't be surprised if it's something short set within the Shin Godzilla universe.

Though, don't get me wrong: I'm holding out for a full-blown magical girl series.

It is official and it is real.
Godzilla

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Please! Please let this be true! A Godzilla anime has been long overdue! :D

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Just as long as it doesn't take 5 episodes for Godzilla to charge his atomic breath...

And no dumb pop songs as an opening theme, please, for the love of god.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

Awesome! Can't wait for an official announcement. Wonder if it's gonna be a movie or series'
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

Cookson wrote:Awesome! Can't wait for an official announcement. Wonder if it's gonna be a movie or series'
Oh, I hadn't even considered something other than a series! Yeah, this could very easily be a movie or an OVA/ONA. I wonder what this is?

...Could it be an actual Godzilla x Evangelion anime??! :shock:

M.U.T.O.
Futurian

Post by M.U.T.O. »

Well HOLY SHIT!

Toho has an animation studio, doesn't it? Or at least, it distributes anime?
What do you call it when a railroad engineer moves toward a psychic?
Spoiler:
Approach Medium.