(Alleged) Godzilla vs. Gamera Live Event (1970)

For the discussion of any Gamera related movies, comics, video games, etc.
Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Re: (Alleged) Godzilla vs. Gamera Live Event (1970)

Post by Godzillian »

Legion1979 wrote:I've heard of this, but I've never seen photos of it, which makes me question it.
Same. You think some photos or promotional material from this would exist and be in a book or online somewhere.
Did Nakajima ever mentioned this?
Well he's going to be at a con in the spring. Someone should ask him about it.

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

Living Corpse wrote:I don't care if Gamera beats Godzilla, I just want them to do a crossover film already.

Those images looked shopped though, there's an outline around Godzilla.
That doesn't mean it's Photoshopped; it's entirely possible the promo image was sort of a photo collage, like someone physically cut out the picture of Godzilla and pasted it onto that background.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

GodzillaFanatic2001
Monarch Researcher

Post by GodzillaFanatic2001 »

omgitsgodzilla wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:I don't care if Gamera beats Godzilla, I just want them to do a crossover film already.

Those images looked shopped though, there's an outline around Godzilla.
That doesn't mean it's Photoshopped; it's entirely possible the promo image was sort of a photo collage, like someone physically cut out the picture of Godzilla and pasted it onto that background.
After all, plenty of film posters from that era appear to be a bunch of images collages together.
HayesAJones wrote:
Godzilla 2000 wrote:Its harmless fun, pure and simple.
As opposed to those dangerously fun movies.

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

I still want to know the truth about this.
Godzilla

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

it seems the only way to know would be to ask Nakajima himself seeing as this supposedly had him playing Godzilla in the show

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

Godzillian wrote:it seems the only way to know would be to ask Nakajima himself seeing as this supposedly had him playing Godzilla in the show
Hmm, you think he would have mentioned that at some point especially with the popularity of Gamera present at the Godzilla events he's been at.

Still isn't Nakajima supposed to be present at G-Fest? perhaps somebody could ask him there.
Godzilla

Mechagigan
Futurian

Post by Mechagigan »

If this happened, the magazine clipping on the first page absolutely isn't from the actual event (as in, the photos of Godzilla and Gamera themselves couldn't have been from it); that Godzilla suit was already falling apart in '71, and if this was in '79, there's no way it'd still look that nice. Same with Gamera; if Godzilla's high budget suits only lasted five or six years, Gamera's dollar bin budget certainly didn't allow for suits to last that long.

Of course, Goji does look a little beat up, but Gamera's still clearly too pretty.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Mechagigan wrote:If this happened, the magazine clipping on the first page absolutely isn't from the actual event (as in, the photos of Godzilla and Gamera themselves couldn't have been from it); that Godzilla suit was already falling apart in '71, and if this was in '79, there's no way it'd still look that nice. Same with Gamera; if Godzilla's high budget suits only lasted five or six years, Gamera's dollar bin budget certainly didn't allow for suits to last that long.

Of course, Goji does look a little beat up, but Gamera's still clearly too pretty.
Or you know they just used publicity shots of old suits for adds

GodzillaFanatic2001
Monarch Researcher

Post by GodzillaFanatic2001 »

I was always under the impression that the event happened in 1970, during the Expo 70, not 1979. After all, the date given at the beginning of this topic is listed as 1970.
HayesAJones wrote:
Godzilla 2000 wrote:Its harmless fun, pure and simple.
As opposed to those dangerously fun movies.

Mechagigan
Futurian

Post by Mechagigan »

Godzillian wrote:
Mechagigan wrote:If this happened, the magazine clipping on the first page absolutely isn't from the actual event (as in, the photos of Godzilla and Gamera themselves couldn't have been from it); that Godzilla suit was already falling apart in '71, and if this was in '79, there's no way it'd still look that nice. Same with Gamera; if Godzilla's high budget suits only lasted five or six years, Gamera's dollar bin budget certainly didn't allow for suits to last that long.

Or you know they just used publicity shots of old suits for adds
That's basically what I'm saying; just that the individual images of Godzilla and Gamera themselves can't be from the real event.

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

GodzillaFanatic2001 wrote:I was always under the impression that the event happened in 1970, during the Expo 70, not 1979. After all, the date given at the beginning of this topic is listed as 1970.
Yes, but the magazine itself is from '79, which casts some doubt as to if the photo is related to the event or if it even happened at all.
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

I didn't realize there was any question about whether this happened... it's documented in Age of the Gods by Ed Godz.

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

I can say pretty confidently that this never happened. Remember Godzilla vs. The Devil -- all we had to go off was one magazine story that turned out to be bogus? Even aside that obviously something so huge would probably be a well-known fact in the kaiju fandom before this year.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

Mechagigan
Futurian

Post by Mechagigan »

The magazine clipping seems irrelevant to me, anyway. There are tons of modern magazines and pictures showing Godzilla and Gamera together... none, of which, are really from anything or exactly promoting anything. Could have just been there for some fan discussion type stuff.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Seems odd that not a single photo of this event exists

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Or reliable publicity material. A meeting of the monsters would have attracted attention whether popularity was down or up.

What kind of details does Age of the Gods give about this?
I've got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

Chris55
Site Director | Media Relations

Post by Chris55 »

JVM wrote:I can say pretty confidently that this never happened.

It did

https://youtu.be/UHXO98lYJQQ?t=6m7s
Your misconceptions and fantasies along with your misguided sense of entitlement don't dictate my actions.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Chris55 wrote:

It did

Yet August and Ed are the only ones talking about it and that's literally all there is to go on. No photos, no statements from Japanese sources, not even a poster or confirmation from Toho.

Chris55

Post by Chris55 »

Godzillian wrote:
Chris55 wrote:

It did

Yet August and Ed are the only ones talking about it and that's literally all there is to go on. No photos, no statements from Japanese sources, not even a poster or confirmation from Toho.
It was what, 40+ years ago? I doubt any of that stuff would even be saved for a one off event. Ask August about it on FB. See if he can fill you in more.
Your misconceptions and fantasies along with your misguided sense of entitlement don't dictate my actions.

Mechagigan
Futurian

Post by Mechagigan »

Could've just been a small local thing, nothing too huge. Neither Godzilla nor Gamera really mattered as pop culture icons in '79.