The Toy Horror Stories/Stories Thread

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
G1985
Gotengo Officer

Re: The E-Bay Horror Stories/Stories Thread

Post by G1985 »

Godzilla21 wrote:We've posted horror stories but on the whole I think we can agree that 95% of the time eBay works out fine. I don't think you should base your entire eBay experience on the stuff we are posting. Ya you will run into idiots but its it's mostly smooth sailing. Ive had hundreds of transactions and have had issues in maybe 4 or 5.
Ditto here. Try to avoid sellers and buyers with less than 100% scores, and you'll do fine.

Creature22
EDF Instructor

Post by Creature22 »

Godzilla21 wrote:
Creature22 wrote:Good lord, you guys are making me afraid to use eBay now. I've been working on selling a lot of my stuff and gathering it all up and if there is an easier way to avoid people being obnoxious then I'm all for it.

I bought something off of eBay years ago, paid and everything, and the item was never shipped out. No response from the seller, no information... but their account ratings became rather fishy after I purchased. I cancelled that order quickly and immediately demanded a refund.
We've posted horror stories but on the whole I think we can agree that 95% of the time eBay works out fine. I don't think you should base your entire eBay experience on the stuff we are posting. Ya you will run into idiots but its it's mostly smooth sailing. Ive had hundreds of transactions and have had issues in maybe 4 or 5.
True. I figure it'd be fine for the most part. Most, if not all of my eBay experiences have gone over well. But in any case it's always annoying when having to deal with obnoxious and, for lack of a better word, stupid shoppers. Best Offers especially... if a seller isn't offering that option it should be clear that they aren't looking to negotiate. It's annoying that some buyers take it to personal messaging, and don't even offer realistic prices. :roll:

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

Creature22 wrote:
Godzilla21 wrote:
Creature22 wrote:Good lord, you guys are making me afraid to use eBay now. I've been working on selling a lot of my stuff and gathering it all up and if there is an easier way to avoid people being obnoxious then I'm all for it.

I bought something off of eBay years ago, paid and everything, and the item was never shipped out. No response from the seller, no information... but their account ratings became rather fishy after I purchased. I cancelled that order quickly and immediately demanded a refund.
We've posted horror stories but on the whole I think we can agree that 95% of the time eBay works out fine. I don't think you should base your entire eBay experience on the stuff we are posting. Ya you will run into idiots but its it's mostly smooth sailing. Ive had hundreds of transactions and have had issues in maybe 4 or 5.
True. I figure it'd be fine for the most part. Most, if not all of my eBay experiences have gone over well. But in any case it's always annoying when having to deal with obnoxious and, for lack of a better word, stupid shoppers. Best Offers especially... if a seller isn't offering that option it should be clear that they aren't looking to negotiate. It's annoying that some buyers take it to personal messaging, and don't even offer realistic prices. :roll:
Ya I've been offered some stupid prices. I just stay polite and say sorry, but this is my price. Usually people just move on. I actually enjoy bartering when people are serious. I'll come off my price if it's a legit offer
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

Creature22
EDF Instructor

Post by Creature22 »

Godzilla21 wrote: Ya I've been offered some stupid prices. I just stay polite and say sorry, but this is my price. Usually people just move on. I actually enjoy bartering when people are serious. I'll come off my price if it's a legit offer
When serious, bartering can work out great. I've never purchased anything through Best Offer, but have attempted to. One guy had a stylized figure that I was looking for up for sale, but the Buy it Now price was unbelievable (it was like $400 or something crazy like that). He didn't accept any of my offers, but if he had at least counter offered I could have seen what he would have found to be reasonable. I guess we'll never know though! :lol: I wonder if he ever ended up selling it.

godzilla1541
EDF Instructor

Post by godzilla1541 »

I haven't had any problems with e-bay but I did get my neca 54 through by it now but I have seen people post crazy prices for common things like 400 for a neca 84 with crapy purple spines and caling it rare

Mechagigan
Futurian

Post by Mechagigan »

godzilla1541 wrote:I haven't had any problems with e-bay but I did get my neca 54 through by it now but I have seen people post crazy prices for common things like 400 for a neca 84 with crapy purple spines and caling it rare
Customs on eBay sell for so insanely much, more often than not. Given, they're usually very well done, but people just love customs there for whatever the reason.

Back in the Mighty Muggs days, customs were all over the place.

M.o.g.u.e.r.a14
EDF Instructor

Post by M.o.g.u.e.r.a14 »

I found Cloverfield for $559.99. Those prices always scare me.
Fan of Godzilla, Pacific Rim, Sailor Moon, and Transformers.
Dezerb wrote: buenos ding dong didily dias senor.
http://i.imgur.com/PpE0DEQ.gif

Moguera14 X Sailor Moon

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

M.o.g.u.e.r.a14 wrote:I found Cloverfield for $559.99. Those prices always scare me.
lol uh ya. That's a car payment
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

SpaceG92
Keizer

Re: The Toy Horror Stories/Stories Thread

Post by SpaceG92 »

Here lies a tragic story with a sad outcome. MM bought a X-Plus 1933 Tyrannosaurus. He assembled the tail first, but the leg gave him trouble. He tried all the methods of getting the leg in. Except the hair drier method, because he's MM. He doesn't do anything right. He then went full nerd rage, grabbed the figure and catapulted it across the room and against the wall repeatedly. This as expected, broke both arms and warped the figure making it impossible to repair. He then chalked it up as being "defective". He then bought another one.Thankfully, he didn't break it.

Good going champ, you did it. He then bought another X-Plus who I fear for every night.

By the way, I renamed the thread. I made it a broader subject matter, for more teeth clenching fun.

ILL GREEN
Gotengo Officer

Post by ILL GREEN »

Ah yes, the Great MM. Missed that dudes shennanigans, was entertaining.

Manticore
Gotengo Officer

Post by Manticore »

I don't miss him at all tbh. Some hijinks were amusing, but he was annoying most of the time.
Mr. Xeno wrote:
Manticore wrote: Also, I pretty much agree with the poll results. Sorry, I'm not that much of a fan of the campy, absurd Showa era.
Then you're not a TRRRRrrrRrrUUUUuuUUuuUUuueEEeeEEeeEeeE FFFFFFFAAAAAAaAaAaAaaaaAAaanNnnnnnNNnnNnnNnnNnNN!

master_of_monsters
EDF Instructor

Post by master_of_monsters »

this is one of the biggest mistakes I have ever made... when I was 9 years old I went to my local video store and there I found a 1933 king kong and t rex two pack sitting on the front counter (my store would rent out and sell movies and games and they had some shelves up front with figures on it for sale as well) and my birthday had passed two days prior so my father said I could have anything up to thirty dollars (for a kid that's a fuckload of money) so I looked up at the shelves and there was a beast wars megatron, the two pack I had mentioned, an opee sea killer with qui gon jin, some ninja turtle stuff, four JP raptors, and some anime figure which I would later discover was from DBZ. I looked over the items and I chose the megatron and raptors then I rented Godzilla vs Gigan and a game called wrath unleashed (which would later become one of my favorite games) years later when I remembered the two pack I looked it up on ebay and it was over $300 from multiple sellers
your source of self destruction

Mechagigan
Futurian

Post by Mechagigan »

When I was a bit younger, I gave up NECA's Oogie Boogie from the Oogie/Jack playset (along with the vast majority of my Nightmare/Simpsons collections, at the time) just for some extra cash. Nowadays, as I've gotten once again interested in the film, I really regret letting go of it... common message, but an important one -don't always act on an impulse!

As for a more Godzilla related story... There was once a very low time in my life. Not a long or significantly upsetting one, just a personal time where I wasn't very religiously sure of myself and felt a bit lost. After some time of dealing with these thoughts, I settled and decided things would be alright, even if I mentally felt very uneasy. Wasting time and trying hard to ignore the subject, I ran across an auction for Bandai's original Gamera figure (who I've since sold), going for a very cheap price... not to mention, I had no Gameras at the time. So, I threw an easy bid - and bam, I got him, no sniping necessary. It was simple, but it sort of felt like a little pat on the back that I really was going to feel alright, in the future.

godzilla1541
EDF Instructor

Post by godzilla1541 »

I broke the peg on the revoltech gamera smoke piece and I just got it today

Manticore
Gotengo Officer

Post by Manticore »

I haven't made many figure-related mistakes tbh, as I really think hard about which one I want the most before spending the cash.
If anything, I kinda regret giving away so many of my little G98 figures that came with Marinela boxes in Mexico. They were nice, and I had a lot. Now I only have one of each.
Also, I tended to be really, really naive when I was a child, and I invited plenty of schoolmates to go play to my house, videogames and such. One of those kids stole my Extreme Dinosaurs' Bullseye when I wasn't looking.
Mr. Xeno wrote:
Manticore wrote: Also, I pretty much agree with the poll results. Sorry, I'm not that much of a fan of the campy, absurd Showa era.
Then you're not a TRRRRrrrRrrUUUUuuUUuuUUuueEEeeEEeeEeeE FFFFFFFAAAAAAaAaAaAaaaaAAaanNnnnnnNNnnNnnNnnNnNN!

Castellan Zilla
Keizer

Post by Castellan Zilla »

Manticore wrote: Also, I tended to be really, really naive when I was a child, and I invited plenty of schoolmates to go play to my house, videogames and such. One of those kids stole my Extreme Dinosaurs' Bullseye when I wasn't looking.
If it was a Bullseye that still had his wings, I would have hunted the kid down Taken style.
I will explain slowly why you are wrong.

Mechagigan
Futurian

Post by Mechagigan »

Not entirely toy related, but "kids stealing" related...

When I was little, some scumbag friend of mine tricked me into walking somewhere as he (unknowingly, to me) stole my Pokemon card collection. When I came back and found them gone, he suggested we split up and look for them... however, I wasn't that dumb. I snuck back to my parents, who promptly found the binder hidden in a bush right by my doorway. They left a nasty little note for him in it's place :lol:

Still have the collection to this day. Not sure why he wanted it so badly, it couldn't have had very many unique cards (that weren't bootleg) at the time.

Manticore
Gotengo Officer

Post by Manticore »

Castellan Zilla wrote:
Manticore wrote: Also, I tended to be really, really naive when I was a child, and I invited plenty of schoolmates to go play to my house, videogames and such. One of those kids stole my Extreme Dinosaurs' Bullseye when I wasn't looking.
If it was a Bullseye that still had his wings, I would have hunted the kid down Taken style.
Oh, he still had his wings. And the bombs. I get pissed every time I remember :mad:
I think I just got sad or something, and got a "parent talk" about not being so naive and trust in everyone else, etc. From time to time I look for it on eBay and similar sites, but no wings. Everyone loses the damn wings. :cry:
Mr. Xeno wrote:

KlenSeven
Interpol Agent

Post by KlenSeven »

My wife got a new cat a year or so ago despite my objections, and named it "Minya" in hopes of winning me over...

Anyway, one day shortly after this new addition, I came home to a random bird dismembered across three rooms and an X-Plus Godzilla knocked to the ground with an arm snapped off. My cat Minya seems to be the guilty party for both offenses…although maybe the bird sent Godzilla crashing to his doom while futilely fleeing for his life... So I spent a while cleaning up the feathers and gore and took a day to decompress before attempting to repair the X-Plus figure...

gigan72
Keizer

Post by gigan72 »

JVM wrote:What is honestly the purpose of a 'Best Offer' button, from a seller's perspective? It seems to me like it's begging someone to send a lowball order, and therefore just a hideous inconvenience to the seller. It doesn't seem like it possesses any advantages for the seller, unless one expects someone to offer more than was asked, which I don't imagine is a frequent occurrence.
I use it on all my auctions becuase i've been willing to go low on some of my stuff (mostly old DVD's i've upgraded and have no use for). I've gotten a few offers that were like a few bucks lower that i've accepted, but one time somebody actually offered the same exact price as the buy it now, which I didn't even know was possible. My experiences have been mostly good with selling, except for one person never paying for an item recently.
[quote="KaijuFiend"][quote="Birdman"]Do you like what you see?[/quote]
No, and if I didn't value my eyesight so much, I'd bleach my eyes so I never had to see that shit again.[/quote]

11-22-13/11-23-14/12-27-14