IDW's GODZILLA: RAGE AGAINST TIME

For the discussion of Toho comics, books, posters, trading cards and any other merchandise that doesn't fall under the other categories.
Rodan
Gotengo Officer

Re: IDW's GODZILLA: RAGE AGAINST TIME

Post by Rodan »

Is this the new quirky anthology series I've been wanting? Might I actually read this?

That Japanese-styled first-issue cover looks amazing.

My interest in this depends largely on whether each issue actually aims to tell a one-off story with different characters in each era, or if it's just Godzilla fighting things in interesting settings.

I really miss Legends.

GODZILLA2877
G-Force Personnel

Post by GODZILLA2877 »

Rodan wrote:Is this the new quirky anthology series I've been wanting? Might I actually read this?

My interest in this depends largely on whether each issue actually aims to tell a one-off story with different characters in each era, or if it's just Godzilla fighting things in interesting settings.

I really miss Legends.
Are you saying you haven't read all the Godzilla comic series from IDW? I own every single one! From Godzilla: Kingdom of Monsters all the way up to Godzilla: Oblivion.

Rodan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Rodan »

GODZILLA2877 wrote:
Rodan wrote:Is this the new quirky anthology series I've been wanting? Might I actually read this?

I really miss Legends.
Are you saying you haven't read all the Godzilla comic series from IDW? I own every single one! From Godzilla: Kingdom of Monsters all the way up to Godzilla: Oblivion.
I've read all of Legends, Gangsters and Goliaths, Half-Century War, and the first two ongoing books. I dipped out of RoE before the final story line, I think, and haven't read any of the subsequent mini-series. I do intend to purchase Godzilla in Hell at some point though.

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

Rodan wrote:I've read all of Legends, Gangsters and Goliaths, Half-Century War, and the first two ongoing books. I dipped out of RoE before the final story line, I think, and haven't read any of the subsequent mini-series. I do intend to purchase Godzilla in Hell at some point though.
A bit off-topic but what is you're opinion on HCW?
Godzilla

Rodan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Rodan »

g2vd wrote:A bit off-topic but what is you're opinion on HCW?
It's almost very good, but I wish it had a little more thematic weight. It should also have at least fifty percent fewer monsters, but I understand that kind of fanservice is one of the ways these books get themselves off shelves every month.

I think my favorite mini-series that tells a single story is Gangsters and Goliaths. It also features an excess of monsters though.

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

Rodan wrote:
g2vd wrote:A bit off-topic but what is you're opinion on HCW?
It should also have at least fifty percent fewer monsters, but I understand that kind of fanservice is one of the ways these books get themselves off shelves every month.

Gangsters and Goliaths. It also features an excess of monsters though.
In this I agree. the excess of monsters thing has been so epidemic since the Random House Days that it may as well be a trope. too many times do some people think that the best way to make a really cool series is to just throw in every monster they can, I mean just look at KOM some monsters appear and make one panel appearance and that's it

I mean it's ike "HEY GUYS LOOK IT"S KUMONGA!! AND WAIT LOOK IT"S GIGAN NO NO NO it's TITANOSAURUS!!!

Why not just swing a squeaky toy in front of us. :lol:

And it's just not needed and it takes away from what you should be doing by developing the world, characters and definitely the monsters but by forcing in so many monsters you just don't get the time

But on HCW I think it actually fits. the story-line is a 50 year war on Godzilla and it makes sense to incorporate a lot of monsters into it's mythology and I think it honestly did it really well, and it is mostly straightforward actually and most of the time the monsters are just footnotes given small mentions for two reasons A. To please the fans. B. To make the world feel more active and to make it seem like a actual war.
Rodan wrote:I think my favorite mini-series that tells a single story is Gangsters and Goliaths.
I still think Gangsters is probably the most unique storyline IDW has ever put out and to this day I still think nothing else even touches it.

It's honestly really interesting when you compare it to the rest of the pantheon, even if when you think about it the storyline has been done many times before except of course this time it's been done with monsters.
Godzilla

Rodan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Rodan »

g2vd wrote:I still think Gangsters is probably the most unique storyline IDW has ever put out and to this day I still think nothing else even touches it.

It's honestly really interesting when you compare it to the rest of the pantheon, even if when you think about it the storyline has been done many times before except of course this time it's been done with monsters.
Yeah. The thing I like about it is that -- "Too many monsters" syndrome aside -- it feels like it could be one of the movies. It's a quirky character-driven genre story that winds up being resolved with giant monsters. Very Shinichi Sekizawa.

I get that Half-Century War is presenting a fifty-year timeline that plays off of the meta development of the movies, so I'm a little more forgiving of its monster parade, but I still don't know what to do with it except to say, "Huh, cool." I can't help but wish more was done with its main character's singular drive to be recognized by Godzilla, and feel that the large amount of other monsters is still somewhat getting in the way. The art and colors are great though.

Israha
Monarch Researcher

Post by Israha »

Rodan wrote: I get that Half-Century War is presenting a fifty-year timeline that plays off of the meta development of the movies, so I'm a little more forgiving of its monster parade, but I still don't know what to do with it except to say, "Huh, cool." I can't help but wish more was done with its main character's singular drive to be recognized by Godzilla, and feel that the large amount of other monsters is still somewhat getting in the way. The art and colors are great though.
At least it was explained, why the monsters appeared so frequently and seemingly without a reason (and the explanation wasn't a bad one). Issue 3 was the only one, that went a bit too far and was overstuffed with several more obscure kaiju just for the sake of fanservice, but even that's perfectly tolerable, from my point of view. I mean, let's admit it...greater depth of human protagonists is a good thing, but isn't a main reason, why we read Godzilla comic books.

Rodan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Rodan »

Israha wrote:At least it was explained, why the monsters appeared so frequently and seemingly without a reason (and the explanation wasn't a bad one). Issue 3 was the only one, that went a bit too far and was overstuffed with several more obscure kaiju just for the sake of fanservice, but even that's perfectly tolerable, from my point of view. I mean, let's admit it...greater depth of human protagonists is a good thing, but isn't a main reason, why we read Godzilla comic books.
We're reading them for different reasons then.

Or, that is, I wouldn't be reading them if they didn't feature a monster character I didn't already have affection for from the movies. That's true. But the reason I'm interested in the comics is because I believe the giant-monster genre can be used to tell really compelling stories, and I'm interested to see them explore scenarios the movies can't: ones that are too long, or too small, or too weird. So yeah, I really am reading them for the characters, or the overall story that can be told by having characters interact with the situations the monsters present.

Consequently Legends has been the only mini-series I've really loved, though others have come close.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

So I don't know a thing about this mini other than who is doing the first issue and that it involves time. I find myself hoping there will be a future issue that'll give a chance for a few underused robotic monsters a chance to return. Looking at you Jet Jaguar or Mogura.

Israha
Monarch Researcher

Post by Israha »

Rodan wrote: We're reading them for different reasons then.

Or, that is, I wouldn't be reading them if they didn't feature a monster character I didn't already have affection for from the movies. That's true. But the reason I'm interested in the comics is because I believe the giant-monster genre can be used to tell really compelling stories, and I'm interested to see them explore scenarios the movies can't: ones that are too long, or too small, or too weird. So yeah, I really am reading them for the characters, or the overall story that can be told by having characters interact with the situations the monsters present.

Consequently Legends has been the only mini-series I've really loved, though others have come close.
Can't say I disagree completely. The ideal scenario is a comic book with good characters, good story and good monster action all in one. But I do think the monster action should be the main focus, not many people like a kaiju story with lack of kaiju screentime. And because of that, I think IDW is doing it right with their miniseries, HCW being the perfect example. We can always take this discussion the "different taste and different opinion" way, but my point is that giant monster comic books SHOULD be monster-centered.

The only time they went too far with it was Rulers of Earth, but the quality of art and the creativity of how the monsters were used are enough to redeem it.

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

I suppose if there is one thing to be said about Kingdom is that while Gangster certainly is unique and very graphic novel feeling, Kingdom may very well edge it out. despite and because of it's many failings it is the most off the wall ridiculous and totally unique series ever made

Seriously who ever expected to see this on a cover of a Goji series?
Godzilla

Tim85
EDF Instructor

Post by Tim85 »

I wished they would have expanded on the whole PETA-like movement for the monsters that was lead by the Lady Gaga stand in (I know her name, I just don't like it) in KOM.
Also, why did they just call the president Obama? It's not like it's a new thing to have the current president in then current comic story lines. Hell, Bill Clinton was in the World Without Superman story.

Sorry, off topic. Anyways, Rage Against Time looks to be awesome.
I was mentioned in the SciFi Japan article about the appearence of extras on the Godzilla vs. Megalon DVD.

http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2012 ... p-mystery/

GODZILLA2877
G-Force Personnel

Post by GODZILLA2877 »

Godzilla: Rage Across Time #3 (of 5)
​Ryan Ferrier (w) • Hugo Petrus (a) • Bob Eggleton (c)

Black death plagues medieval England…and so does Megaguirus! A group of knights decides to find the source of the pestilence and comes across a flying nightmare that not all of them will survive!

FC • 32 pages • $3.99

Subscription cover - Hugo Petrus
Bullet points:
• Knights vs. Monsters!
• Variant cover by Cory Smith!

Dracosaurian
JXSDF Technician

Post by Dracosaurian »

GODZILLA2877 wrote:Godzilla: Rage Across Time #3 (of 5)
​Ryan Ferrier (w) • Hugo Petrus (a) • Bob Eggleton (c)

Black death plagues medieval England…and so does Megaguirus! A group of knights decides to find the source of the pestilence and comes across a flying nightmare that not all of them will survive!

FC • 32 pages • $3.99

Subscription cover - Hugo Petrus
Bullet points:
• Knights vs. Monsters!
• Variant cover by Cory Smith!

Mothra vs Megaguirus ? About damn time.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

So what we have so far are

Ancient Greece
Feudal Japan
Medieval Europe

Not bad so far I have to say. Assuming this is only five issues. These are what the last two should be.

Ancient Egypt
Titanic

Speaking of which. Hoping to see Godzilla fight Cronus. Imagine such a fight like that. :huge:

The King of the Monsters vs. The Leader of the Titans. 8-)
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: hese are what the last two should be.

Ancient Egypt
Titanic

Yes to Ancient Egypt, but a big "no" to the Titanic (it's been done already in the Dark Horse comics, and it's not really all that interesting of a scenario to be honest). Now, change the Titanic to the sinking of the Lusitania along with Godzilla set in World War 1 throughout Europe, Russia, & the Balkans, and *that* would be intriguing...
Dracosaurian wrote:
Mothra vs Megaguirus ? About damn time.
Godzilla: Catalysm #3

Again, IDW seems to repeat themselves a lot in terms of kaiju matchups in these books (Mothra vs Varan, or hell, how about Battra vs Megaguirus or Rodan vs Megaguirus? :!: Any of those matchups would have been fresher and more interesting imo). Regardless, the setting/scenario (middle ages/England) sounds intriguing, and as long as the story is good, then it could have a lot of potential...
GIANT CONDOR!!!!!!!! :shock:

"Someone kick me, kick me hard! We're stupid." - Corn on the cob eatin' Hippie (Godzilla vs Gigan)

Dracosaurian
JXSDF Technician

Post by Dracosaurian »

Godzilla: Catalysm #3

Again, IDW seems to repeat themselves a lot in terms of kaiju matchups in these books (Mothra vs Varan, or hell, how about Battra vs Megaguirus or Rodan vs Megaguirus? :!: Any of those matchups would have been fresher and more interesting imo). Regardless, the setting/scenario (middle ages/England) sounds intriguing, and as long as the story is good, then it could have a lot of potential...[/quote]

Well I stand corrected. Never did read Catalysm. Is it good ? [/quote][/quote]

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

ebirahsmeg1 wrote:Yes to Ancient Egypt, but a big "no" to the Titanic (it's been done already in the Dark Horse comics, and it's not really all that interesting of a scenario to be honest). Now, change the Titanic to the sinking of the Lusitania along with Godzilla set in World War 1 throughout Europe, Russia, & the Balkans, and *that* would be intriguing...
I can still dig that sure. ;)

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

Dracosaurian wrote:
Well I stand corrected. Never did read Catalysm. Is it good ?
Yes, it was petty good, although not up there with HCW or G:Legends, but that's just me. David Watcher really came into his own with this mini though...I was very underwhelmed and not impressed with his work on HGM Issue #6, but his work on Catalysm and G in Hell erased any past doubts/misgivings I previously had, and he's definitely one of the better artists to work on these IDW books...
GIANT CONDOR!!!!!!!! :shock:

"Someone kick me, kick me hard! We're stupid." - Corn on the cob eatin' Hippie (Godzilla vs Gigan)