Monster Toy Spotlight #29: Godzilla 1984/85 (Heisei-Goji)

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
Godzillafan11
Monsterland Worker

Post by Godzillafan11 »

What Bandai 6in Figure was made for Return Of Godzilla/ Godzilla 1985 ?
Long Live King Of All Monsters Godzilla

Hybrid Gojira
Interpol Agent

Post by Hybrid Gojira »

Godzilla 1985 was my very first Godzilla film, as such it holds a special place in my heart. I own two Godzilla 84/85 figures, but let's start with the much maligned Imperial Godzilla toy -

As far as I can remember, this was my first Godzilla figure and one I will never get rid of.

The other G84 figure I own is the recent Marmit release -

Diamond is reissuing the X Plus 30cm G84 at some point, so everyone can look forward to that if you don't have it already.

Now let's see what the rest of you have! :xilien:
Kaiju Transmissions Podcast Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/kaijutransmissionspodcast

Mechagigan
Futurian

Re: Godzilla 1985

Post by Mechagigan »

This is the standard Movie Monsters Series G'84;

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Re: Monster Toy Spotlight #29: Godzilla 1984/85 (Heisei-Goji)

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

X-Plus 25cm G85:

GIANT CONDOR!!!!!!!! :shock:

"Someone kick me, kick me hard! We're stupid." - Corn on the cob eatin' Hippie (Godzilla vs Gigan)

Castellan Zilla
Keizer

Post by Castellan Zilla »

There's also a vintage vinyl toy.

I will explain slowly why you are wrong.

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

The latest monster toy spotlight thread is covering Godzilla 1985, so this might be a good reference source in regards to G85 figures:

http://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewto ... 11&t=25282

Perhaps we could merge this thread with that one.

"Someone kick me, kick me hard! We're stupid." - Corn on the cob eatin' Hippie (Godzilla vs Gigan)

Creature22
EDF Instructor

Post by Creature22 »

This was one of the best little figures as a kid!

It would be nice to see Bandai do a reissue of the 84 figure, especially since the latest film is another solo flick, but even if they did it would be bittersweet... as a kid I actually had the issue of Hyper Hobby that featured the Memorial Box, and the full page layout just teased me. But since I knew my parents would never buy me the set, nor be able to find it, I came to a painful realization that I would never get to have one.

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

Fresh Vinyl reviews of both Xplus G85 figures. Their G85 figures are perfect examples of how annoying I find the whole "25-30cm" back and forth nonsense with Xplus' lines in general. It seems there's always one scale that has a great figure of a particular kaiju, only to botch it up in the other scale, leading to great inconsistency for both scales. In the case, the 30cm hits it out of the park (hope some post some photos of this bad boy :g2k: ), while the 25cm falls short with its chipmunk look.

Xplus 25cm Godzilla 84-85

Xplus 30cm Godzilla 84-85

Castellan Zilla wrote:There's also a vintage vinyl toy.

What line/company is that figure from?

Castellan Zilla
Keizer

Post by Castellan Zilla »

ebirahsmeg1 wrote:
What line/company is that figure from?
Bandai, if I'm not mistaken.
I will explain slowly why you are wrong.

G1985
Gotengo Officer

Post by G1985 »

Imperial 1984 6" rubber

Bandai 1984 6" soft vinyl (based on the Cybot)

Bandai 2004 6" soft vinyl (based on the suit)

NECA 2014 6" articulated rubber

Added in 3 minutes 52 seconds:
4" Bandai painted "History Set" box set version of the 1999 Hyper candy figure (1999)

4" Yutaka soft vinyl figure ([part of a 1988 box set)

3" Yamakatsu hard rubber figure (1985)

Added in 7 minutes 44 seconds:
Konami "Beastshooter" rolling 1.5" figure:

Bandai Sakai-sculpted 2.5" candy diorama

Various Bandai "finger puppet" hollow vinyl toys, most 1" to 1.5" in height

Various hard plastic pencil topper toys

Bandai 1" "Proclamation" aka "Monster Museum" candy toy

Added in 37 minutes 23 seconds:
Does anyone have *both* Marmit figures, or "both* Y-MSF figures, and can give us a photo of them side-by-side?

Godzillafan11
Monsterland Worker

Post by Godzillafan11 »

To me personally this is the closest design of the film - Godzilla Heisei Era - New 6" Bandai Action Figure and my personal favorite ! :)

Added in 1 minute 46 seconds:
Hybrid Gojira wrote:Godzilla 1985 was my very first Godzilla film, as such it holds a special place in my heart. I own two Godzilla 84/85 figures, but let's start with the much maligned Imperial Godzilla toy -

As far as I can remember, this was my first Godzilla figure and one I will never get rid of.

The other G84 figure I own is the recent Marmit release -

Diamond is reissuing the X Plus 30cm G84 at some point, so everyone can look forward to that if you don't have it already.

Now let's see what the rest of you have! :xilien:
I have this figure and i got it after Godzilla85 premierd but did not think it was made for film ? :D

Creature22
EDF Instructor

Post by Creature22 »

Godzillafan11 wrote: I have this figure and i got it after Godzilla85 premierd but did not think it was made for film ? :D
Like right after you saw the movie? I got mine years later (I grew up with the 2000 film in theaters haha) but it was basically brand new. No scuffs, no scratches, not banged up in any way, and even the tag came attached. It was in pristine condition... I wonder if the people I brought it from just had an excess supply or something.

I think they were made to cash in on the film. Not sure though... it certainly looks more like the 80s Godzilla with the four toes though. Here's a photo from a catalog I believe. Mine looked pretty much like this when I got it.

Godzillafan11
Monsterland Worker

Post by Godzillafan11 »

Creature22 wrote:
Godzillafan11 wrote: I have this figure and i got it after Godzilla85 premierd but did not think it was made for film ? :D
Like right after you saw the movie? I got mine years later (I grew up with the 2000 film in theaters haha) but it was basically brand new. No scuffs, no scratches, not banged up in any way, and even the tag came attached. It was in pristine condition... I wonder if the people I brought it from just had an excess supply or something.

I think they were made to cash in on the film. Not sure though... it certainly looks more like the 80s Godzilla with the four toes though. Here's a photo from a catalog I believe. Mine looked pretty much like this when I got it.
I bought mine after the movie in a local toy store in town; it was only around 8 bucks and stands about 6in tall ! :D

SJM925
E.S.P.Spy

Post by SJM925 »

As already posted, I have the imperial Gojis, but I'm surprised the NECA hasn't shown up here yet! Here's my review.

My oh my what you produce when you're hopped on oxy* :lol:

Was in the hospital shortly before this review was made. Almost bled out in my brain, so the oxy was prescribed :D

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

Another online review of the Xplus 30cm Godzilla 84/85:

G1985
Gotengo Officer

Post by G1985 »

Godzillafan11 wrote:I have this figure and i got it after Godzilla85 premierd but did not think it was made for film ? :D
I bought mine (the 6" version) at a KB Toy and Hobby back in 1988 or 1989 for a whopping $2. vs Biollante was not out yet, and all of the card/tray art was more-or-less generic (although some of it was copied IMO from the 1987 b&w Dark Horse Godzilla one-shot) but the timing and the four uniform toes could only have been inspired by the 1984 suit.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Hugely disappointed it's one of my absolute favorite designs and I have no figures of it. Well I have the Imperials but they're a bit generic looking. Good thing Xplus is reissuing the 30cm 84.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Hybrid Gojira
Interpol Agent

Post by Hybrid Gojira »

The initial Imperial release, as far as I can tell, was actually back in 85. I *think* there were probably reproductions because I got mine sometime in the early 90's - brand new, in Toys R Us. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. :xilien:
Kaiju Transmissions Podcast Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/kaijutransmissionspodcast

G1985
Gotengo Officer

Post by G1985 »

Hybrid Gojira wrote:The initial Imperial release, as far as I can tell, was actually back in 85. I *think* there were probably reproductions because I got mine sometime in the early 90's - brand new, in Toys R Us. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. :xilien:
The 6" Imperial was rereleased many times, and suffered from either mold degradation or recasting each time (not sure which) that altered the quality. It's difficult to find one today that isn't a recast. You can spot the recast ones from a mile away, because they all look like Godzilla has a cleft palette, a chest scar from open heart surgery, and tons of mold flashing along legs and dorsals - some worse than others.

Early examples:
Resized Image
Resized Image

Recast examples:
Resized Image
Resized Image

Mechagigan
Futurian

Post by Mechagigan »

Not to go too off-topic, but I wonder why Imperial never got to do any more monsters (despite the obvious quality thing)?