The Toy Horror Stories/Stories Thread

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
KlenSeven
Interpol Agent

The Toy Horror Stories/Stories Thread

Post by KlenSeven »

i sold my Revoltech Anguirus on ebay late last year. I put it up with a starting price of $100 and it sold for ~$130... but the first couple days were nuts. I received multiple unsolicited offers, most around $50 and one at $30, which i politely refused stating that "if it didnt sell i would lower the price until it did, but right now it is the cheapest one on ebay and there are over 20 people watching the auction, so it wouldnt be fair to them to accept offers". After telling one guy no twice he sent an angry message telling me Revoltech wasnt as good as SHMA so i shouldn't be selling it for SHMA prices and just sell it to him... it was kind of ugly. In the end, it picked up multiple bids so i fortunately didnt need to relist it... but it was the 2nd oddest experience i have had selling on ebay.

Castellan Zilla
Keizer

Re: Revoltech

Post by Castellan Zilla »

KlenSeven wrote:i sold my Revoltech Anguirus on ebay late last year. I put it up with a starting price of $100 and it sold for ~$130... but the first couple days were nuts. I received multiple unsolicited offers, most around $50 and one at $30, which i politely refused stating that "if it didnt sell i would lower the price until it did, but right now it is the cheapest one on ebay and there are over 20 people watching the auction, so it wouldnt be fair to them to accept offers". After telling one guy no twice he sent an angry message telling me Revoltech wasnt as good as SHMA so i shouldn't be selling it for SHMA prices and just sell it to him... it was kind of ugly. In the end, it picked up multiple bids so i fortunately didnt need to relist it... but it was the 2nd oddest experience i have had selling on ebay.
I had something similar happen to me with a Bandai Creations Gigan, the large one. Almost wonder if it's the same guy, cause he pulled the exact same crap. But he went as far as to buy it from me, since it was a BIN. I didn't feel comfortable with this guy knowing my address as he was just a state away, so I canceled the order and sent him his money back. He FLIPPED. Sending me nasty messages repeatedly to the point I had to alert eBay. They deleted his account and reversed the nasty feedback he gave me, it was crazy ass shit. And all over a vinyl toy. And not a very good one either. :lol:
I will explain slowly why you are wrong.

Petezilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by Petezilla »

Castellan Zilla wrote:[...] it was crazy ass shit. And all over a vinyl toy. And not a very good one either. :lol:
Some individual people just posses a small pre-evolutionary bundle of nerves where a full fletched brain should be located.
Nobody is in the know why exactly this is to be.
Size DOES matter!

Mechagigan
Futurian

Post by Mechagigan »

God, selling with eBay can be so fun sometimes. Zero-credit buyers and "kids accidentally hitting buy it now" around every corner.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

I once sold the original SHMA 94 on eBay. Sold it for about $135. I get a message from the "parent" telling me their kid bid on the auction and got it too high and asked me if I could settle for $90. I'm like uhh no. Not my fault your dumb kid has access to your eBay account. If that was even a true story. Eventually had to report them to eBay for non payment. Then this chode actually reports ME like I'm the bad guy. Hate eBay sometimes
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Godzilla21 wrote:I once sold the original SHMA 94 on eBay. Sold it for about $135. I get a message from the "parent" telling me their kid bid on the auction and got it too high and asked me if I could settle for $90. I'm like uhh no. Not my fault your dumb kid has access to your eBay account. If that was even a true story. Eventually had to report them to eBay for non payment. Then this chode actually reports ME like I'm the bad guy. Hate eBay sometimes
That happened to me once. A winning bidder ran my item up over $200 then said they only had $120 in their paypal and wanted to know if I would lower the price.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

ILL GREEN
Gotengo Officer

Re: The E-Bay Horror Stories/Stories Thread

Post by ILL GREEN »

I don't allow Best Offers anymore. Every time I'm selling something, someone pitches 5% of the price I put up. And they come like "back in the day, those were $10 brand new" .

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

??? I don't remember subscribing to this thread. lol
SpaceG92 wrote:

Mechagigan
Futurian

Post by Mechagigan »

It's so annoying when people toss ridiculously low offers - but hey, maybe they're just testing the waters. Wanting to see what the minimum you'll be willing to sell for is... but I loathe those who raise their counteroffer by mere cents. I am not accepting $6.25 over $6.00. Why even bother wasting time by making that kind of counteroffer?

Every time that happens, I remain steadfast with my counter-counter, not changing it by a single penny. :P

KlenSeven
Interpol Agent

Post by KlenSeven »

When i sold my Cloverfield figure, i got A LOT of unsolicited offers.. including one person offering to buy just the head, and another person offering to do graphic design work to cover half the price tag (although when asked for a link to their portfolio, they went silent). Once again most of the offers were less than the original MSRP and this was long after the figure went OOP.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

I don't see anything wrong with low balling as long as the buyer doesn't continue to do so after you counter. I've low balled a couple buyers before in order to get the asking price I was looking for.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

ILL GREEN
Gotengo Officer

Post by ILL GREEN »

One time I was selling a Gigantic SS3 Goku and one buyer turned out to be on the island. He didn't want to pay shipping so we were arranging to have it picked up personally. After a few emails, I say ok, send the money via Paypal and I'll meet you at the mall in front of JC Penney. And he said nah that he'll pay in cash and that he wanted to meet in a parking lot of some K Mart. I straight up told him "fuck you and your money, my merchandise, my rules."

Castellan Zilla
Keizer

Post by Castellan Zilla »

ILL GREEN wrote:I don't allow Best Offers anymore. Every time I'm selling something, someone pitches 5% of the price I put up. And they come like "back in the day, those were $10 brand new" .
I remember when I didn't have my Buy It Nows set to immediate payment. I got boned so many times on big ticket items.

It's amazing that once I went through and set up my preferences for selling how much that weeded out the less desirable buyers.

Just recently sold a CCP Showa Ghidorah and it went off without a hitch, surprisingly.
I will explain slowly why you are wrong.

Manticore
Gotengo Officer

Post by Manticore »

I have never sold anything through eBay, but I remember that when trying to sell a figure, someone kept offering me to trade it for a cellphone, and I was like..."I already have one". "So? you can sell it or trade it again!". "Yeah, no thanks". "Come ooooon! Please! I'll pay you half, plus the cellphone!".
Mr. Xeno wrote:
Manticore wrote: Also, I pretty much agree with the poll results. Sorry, I'm not that much of a fan of the campy, absurd Showa era.
Then you're not a TRRRRrrrRrrUUUUuuUUuuUUuueEEeeEEeeEeeE FFFFFFFAAAAAAaAaAaAaaaaAAaanNnnnnnNNnnNnnNnnNnNN!

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

What is honestly the purpose of a 'Best Offer' button, from a seller's perspective? It seems to me like it's begging someone to send a lowball order, and therefore just a hideous inconvenience to the seller. It doesn't seem like it possesses any advantages for the seller, unless one expects someone to offer more than was asked, which I don't imagine is a frequent occurrence.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

KlenSeven
Interpol Agent

Post by KlenSeven »

I never use the Best Offer option as a seller, and that does not stop people from PMing offers...and getting upset when you politely refuse their insultingly low, unsolicited offer...or persisting with "counter offers"

SUPERTOHOREMIX
Futurian

Post by SUPERTOHOREMIX »

I guess this counts ...

A couple of years ago a French seller had both SSJ1 Goku & Piccolo Figuarts for £60. I jumped on this because at the time both were stupid expensive in the after market.

What happened I still find hard to explain, but something was amiss. The seller barely spoke english and kept saying gibberish about how long it was going to take dispatching them. After a week or so, I decided to go through Ebay to get a response out of him. Nothing. They try agagin ... And still nothing. Finally I went through Paypal to get a full refund and left bad feedback. This started a chain reaction and the seller's rating just dropped.
Suddenly, he up and vanishes from sight.

Got my refund in time but many others were not so lucky ...

Creature22
EDF Instructor

Post by Creature22 »

Good lord, you guys are making me afraid to use eBay now. I've been working on selling a lot of my stuff and gathering it all up and if there is an easier way to avoid people being obnoxious then I'm all for it.

I bought something off of eBay years ago, paid and everything, and the item was never shipped out. No response from the seller, no information... but their account ratings became rather fishy after I purchased. I cancelled that order quickly and immediately demanded a refund.

SUPERTOHOREMIX
Futurian

Post by SUPERTOHOREMIX »

Creature22 wrote:Good lord, you guys are making me afraid to use eBay now. I've been working on selling a lot of my stuff and gathering it all up and if there is an easier way to avoid people being obnoxious then I'm all for it.

I bought something off of eBay years ago, paid and everything, and the item was never shipped out. No response from the seller, no information... but their account ratings became rather fishy after I purchased. I cancelled that order quickly and immediately demanded a refund.
Facebook seems to be a good selling platform now with certain groups.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

Creature22 wrote:Good lord, you guys are making me afraid to use eBay now. I've been working on selling a lot of my stuff and gathering it all up and if there is an easier way to avoid people being obnoxious then I'm all for it.

We've posted horror stories but on the whole I think we can agree that 95% of the time eBay works out fine. I don't think you should base your entire eBay experience on the stuff we are posting. Ya you will run into idiots but its it's mostly smooth sailing. Ive had hundreds of transactions and have had issues in maybe 4 or 5.
SpaceG92 wrote: