Monster Toy Spotlight #3 Godzilla 2000 (Miregoji)

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
Jomei
Futurian

Re: Monster Toy Spotlight #3 Godzilla 2000 (Miregoji)

Post by Jomei »

SJM925 wrote:Sooo I bought the Marmit G2K from the vinyl wars releases, the recent general release and not the EE exclusive. My first.

Well not only is he not lonely, but let's just say there are more on the way and I need to control myself.

https://scontent-lax3-1.cdninstagram.co ... 6105_n.jpg

As a note, because I only got mine because it was cheap, both sculpts are on Amazon for a solid price.

The first Godzilla 2000, the one pictured in my post, is $65 shipped from Amazon directly, and it's not a bad price.

The Gira-Goji or whatever it technically is called in purple is on Amazon sold from goHastings for $45 shipped, and that's cheaper than when I got mine.
Yes, take the red vinyl pill. :xilien:

Couple Millennium Godzillers in this shot

XxHeiseifanxX wrote:Can we lower age limit! There are TOO MANY HEISEI HATERS!!!
Thatguy4683 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:04 pmWhat? Is this a joke? What gonna on here?
♡ Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin!♡
Challenge me to a Pokémon battle

Starsteam
Keizer

Post by Starsteam »

Not sure if this is everything I have, I already did enough digging through my Godzillas earlier this year.

Bandai Creation and Fusion version, HG Gashapon, SHMA SCE, and some theater exclusive minis. Nothing particularly great from my end. Didn't realize I don't really own anything specific to the 2000 Megaguirus color, just the 1999 2000 appearance.

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

Well, we're approaching the end of the week. Got anyone in mind to nominate for next week's spotlight KlenSeven?
GIANT CONDOR!!!!!!!! :shock:

"Someone kick me, kick me hard! We're stupid." - Corn on the cob eatin' Hippie (Godzilla vs Gigan)

Jomei
Futurian

Post by Jomei »

ebirahsmeg1 wrote:Well, we're approaching the end of the week. Got anyone in mind to nominate for next week's spotlight KlenSeven?
I'll set it up when I get home tonight. :xilien:
XxHeiseifanxX wrote:Can we lower age limit! There are TOO MANY HEISEI HATERS!!!
Thatguy4683 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:04 pmWhat? Is this a joke? What gonna on here?
♡ Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin!♡
Challenge me to a Pokémon battle

KlenSeven
Interpol Agent

Post by KlenSeven »

I nominated Jomei earlier in the thread :)

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

Fresh Vinyl reviews the Xplus Gigantic Series Godzilla 2000

GIANT CONDOR!!!!!!!! :shock:

"Someone kick me, kick me hard! We're stupid." - Corn on the cob eatin' Hippie (Godzilla vs Gigan)

godzilla1541
EDF Instructor

Post by godzilla1541 »

all i have 2000 is the two bandai creations ones
Starsteam wrote:Not sure if this is everything I have, I already did enough digging through my Godzillas earlier this year.

Bandai Creation and Fusion version, HG Gashapon, SHMA SCE, and some theater exclusive minis. Nothing particularly great from my end. Didn't realize I don't really own anything specific to the 2000 Megaguirus color, just the 1999 2000 appearance.
do you know any more about that little clear white one becuase i think thats the same one i ordered off ebay

Starsteam
Keizer

Post by Starsteam »

godzilla1541 wrote:all i have 2000 is the two bandai creations ones
Starsteam wrote:Not sure if this is everything I have, I already did enough digging through my Godzillas earlier this year.

do you know any more about that little clear white one becuase i think thats the same one i ordered off ebay
I think they were theater exclusives, but I don't know anything else. They were just a part of a cheap gashapon lot I snatched several years ago.

Mechagigan
Futurian

Post by Mechagigan »

Bandai Creations and Gashapon;
BC's figure has always been one of my favorites from the company; Though he could be greener, the sculpt is simply spot-on and the pose is very attractive. I'd even argue it's as good as or better than Bandai's original G2K.
As a side note, I've never been bothered by his shortened tail - it makes him much easier to display. Besides, with the curled position, it looks natural.

The Gashapon is one of the many toys from the Comic Book shop lot I mentioned in the G'54 thread. For a simple toy, he's got a very nice sculpt - completely accurate, surprisingly. He could use more paint apps - even using purple plastic for the spines would've been a better choice - but for what he is, he's fine. Compared to others from the same line, he's very rubbery and easily falls apart. I wonder why that is?

Creature22
EDF Instructor

Post by Creature22 »

Mechagigan wrote:The Gashapon is one of the many toys from the Comic Book shop lot I mentioned in the G'54 thread. For a simple toy, he's got a very nice sculpt - completely accurate, surprisingly. He could use more paint apps - even using purple plastic for the spines would've been a better choice - but for what he is, he's fine. Compared to others from the same line, he's very rubbery and easily falls apart. I wonder why that is?
I had a painted version of that (came in a set) and it's an incredible figure for a candy toy. The detail is on point. I'd say that it simply has parts that are more loose than the normal figure though, because mine fell apart easily as well.

And a Comic Book shop lot? You should post a pic. Sounds intriguing. :huge:

G1985
Gotengo Officer

Post by G1985 »

Mechagigan wrote:Bandai Creations and Gashapon;
The Gashapon is one of the many toys from the Comic Book shop lot I mentioned in the G'54 thread. For a simple toy, he's got a very nice sculpt - completely accurate, surprisingly. He could use more paint apps - even using purple plastic for the spines would've been a better choice - but for what he is, he's fine. Compared to others from the same line, he's very rubbery and easily falls apart. I wonder why that is?
The Gashapon is from Bandai's 4" tall "Big Scale/Hyper Godzilla" boxed candy toy line, and was one of three figures that debuted with the 1999 assortment. A painted version of the Godzilla 2000 figure in this set was also released, included in the window-boxed Godzilla History Set.

The reason that he "easily falls apart" is because none of pegs/peg holes on the three new figures were made with flared ends. The parts slide together but do not lock in place. In contrast, every prior figure in the "Hyper" line had flared pegs, and they all stay together easily.

Mechagigan
Futurian

Post by Mechagigan »

Creature22 wrote: I had a painted version of that (came in a set) and it's an incredible figure for a candy toy. The detail is on point.

And a Comic Book shop lot? You should post a pic. Sounds intriguing. :huge:
I know right? He's a really nice figure for his scale. All of the hyper (I call most small figures Gashapon, just as a generalization) figures I own re really nice looking.

If I ever find pictures of the lot I'll post them; somewhere I know I have a shot off all the Godzilla stuff that came along with it! :mrgreen:
G1985 wrote: The Gashapon is from Bandai's 4" tall "Big Scale/Hyper Godzilla" boxed candy toy line, and was one of three figures that debuted with the 1999 assortment. A painted version of the Godzilla 2000 figure in this set was also released, included in the window-boxed Godzilla History Set.

The reason that he "easily falls apart" is because none of pegs/peg holes on the three new figures were made with flared ends. The parts slide together but do not lock in place. In contrast, every prior figure in the "Hyper" line had flared pegs, and they all stay together easily.
Ah, I like the spines on that version. Also, that would make sense; add that with the less 'hard' material, and he's gonna be a bit fragile (in a sense).

Added in 8 hours 43 minutes 59 seconds:
Just got the Shin Godzilla G2K reissue!

The sculpt, in traditional Bandai fashion, is spot-on. Even the smallest of details are accounted for; the tiny spikes along his upper legs and arms, or the exact shape of each spine. It's truly astounding what this company is can be capable of with such simplistic figures.

He's only slightly smaller than the original release's height; the bulk of the older model is what really makes the difference. This version fits much better among his fellow 6" cast.

The paint is very attractive, as well. The eyes are deep brown, so neatly painted that they almost look like applications, and the spray is actually very cleanly done. While Shin's toes had overspray on the bottom of each padded tone, G2K's stays faded only on the nail itself.

There are two significant things to notice about this version of the figure; first is the metallic pink color of the spines, lacking the silver accent apparent on the original figure. A bit more accurate this time around. Second, that dark green spray on the chest - very nice touch. G2K's suit was always green, but it was hardly ever apparent onscreen. Instead of opting for one over the other, this small accent gives the impression that it's there, but is blended - much like in the films.

Now for a debate I love - Bandai Vs. BC!

Bandai's figure captures smaller details far better than BC's - again, aspects such as the formation of each spine or color of the eye can really spruce up a figure. The static pose fits a bit better among Bandai's other figures, but can give the toy a lifeless presence.

However, BC's actually manages to aim closer to the source material with some of it's aspects; the longer snout, wider rows of spines, even some of the bodily textures - slightly more accurate than Bandai's, which seems to have streamlined these features. The dynamic pose sticks out, but arguably makes the figure all the more visually stunning. The nubby tail may detract some, but in my opinion, it fits fine.

My verdict? Bandai's toy has much more 'artistic' qualities, remembering the various small touches throughout the suit. However, BC's has a much closer general look, not to mention a more lively appearance. It's a very small difference, and I wouldn't call either a bad or underperforming figure, but I'd actually give this one to BC.

If you don't have G2K, go for Bandai's new reissue; he's cheap, and available. He's a very well done figure all-around, and goes perfectly with the MMS series.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

I've been considering getting the new MMS figures of Godzilla and Kiryu. Definitely like the look of the new G2K more than the old Toho Kaiju figure.

Creature22
EDF Instructor

Post by Creature22 »

The MMS reissue of G2K looks fantastic. I have the original "bigger" one so I don't feel the need to purchase the reissue, but it's great that it's available again for those who had missed it years ago.

Quick question regarding the new MMS figures; how soft is the vinyl of the new figures? Digging through my old Bandai figures I noticed that, the newer the release, the softer the material seems to be. They may have stopped that though; I haven't purchased a recent Bandai figure in years.

Mechagigan
Futurian

Post by Mechagigan »

He's pretty squishy - actually, even more than Shin. The joints are a tiny bit loose thanks to this, actually, especially in the legs.

Creature22
EDF Instructor

Post by Creature22 »

Mechagigan wrote:He's pretty squishy - actually, even more than Shin. The joints are a tiny bit loose thanks to this, actually, especially in the legs.
Shin is a squishy figure too? G2K looks like it's soft vinyl but Shin Gojira didn't, which is why I was wondering haha.

Mechagigan
Futurian

Post by Mechagigan »

Creature22 wrote:
Mechagigan wrote:He's pretty squishy - actually, even more than Shin. The joints are a tiny bit loose thanks to this, actually, especially in the legs.
Shin is a squishy figure too? G2K looks like it's soft vinyl but Shin Gojira didn't, which is why I was wondering haha.
He's a fair bit more solid than G2K, hardly soft at all, actually. Think just a tad softer than BC's usual hard vinyl.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

'Bout time I tried contributing to these:

The little guy originates from the second "Godzilla Kingdom" minifigure set Bandai released in '99, the middle figure is the 4" Hyper figure from Bandai's history set (just came in the mail today :huge: ), and of course that's the 6" Bandai on the right - specifically the original release from 1999. My brother actually got him as a present back then, and he's since moved to my collection, but he's been around so long I tend to overlook him. I was in love with the design back then, though, and it really is a nicely done figure - as is the hyper figure, whose detail is simply incredible.

Man, I wish I could get my hands on one of those Monster Heaven's, though... :dizzy:

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

I'm bumping this for a new group shot:

...And to fill this thread's void of green Banpresto beauty!

Image Image Image
Spoiler:
Image Image Image Image

Kaijunator
Xilien Halfling

Post by Kaijunator »

I have the original SHMA, the normal BC, and the Fusion Series BC.
If you have digital copy codes for movies you want to give away, I'll gladly take them! :)
Dillyziller wrote:Evangelion 4.0: This is (not) a joke

It opens with Shinji, Asuka, and Rei walking along the lifeless, red earth. Suddenly the ground begins to shake.
Godzilla bursts from the ground, killing the 3 pilots. Godzilla will then battle his newest opponent...
parental issues.
TitanoGoji16 wrote:"Do you think C-Rex and FeMUTO could make sweet love down by the fire and give birth to Gabara?"
Best song ever.
YouTube!