The Godzilla Cringe Thread

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Vatarian
E.S.P.Spy

Re: The Godzilla Cringe Thread

Post by Vatarian »

Haha

these Young Boys speaking of Haysay Well, as if its Good. Fools.

Dullards. Youll Know, When Youre And Antisocial Middle Aged Hipster, Living In Mrothers Basement, that Showlar is only good Gozillan movie. I have to Complain Anout Censorship In Videogames I Do not Play Now. Fair Well.

And Als Always, a Out shout to the True Fans, who knor what there is to be Known. i Tip Mh Fedora To You, And bid You A Good Mountain Dew.

godzillalives88
Interpol Agent

Post by godzillalives88 »

Mechagigan wrote:
Godzilla The King wrote:Any type of elitist in the fandom period.

The implication that America can't make a good G film or "only the Japanese get it." Screw that, anyone can make a good G film if they have the skill and passion
I really hate the notion that the only 'true' Godzilla films are Toho's (AKA, James Rolfe's thoughts on Shin). If it's a Godzilla movie, it's a Godzilla movie, I don't care who made it. Toho signed off on it, it's a real part of the series.
Yeah, that's pretty much what I was alluding to in my earlier post. I think Godzilla's a bigger concept that any one studio, country, or special effects technique. The ironic thing is too, I feel like this mentality gets pushed more in America than anywhere else. As Toho has no problem including the American films in their film festivals, box sets, and TV marathons.

But whatever, I'll stop harping on it. It's not a mentality I see all that often, but when I do, I'm always thinking "who exactly is this for?"
Last edited by godzillalives88 on Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

You must be 35 years old to understand quality.
Barkley wrote:You guys crack me up! :g2k: Us older fans knew how to embarrassing and detrimental this movie was. Trust me, anyone over 35 on this forum agrees!

-Barkley
-Barkley's Opinion on G2000 being the worst movie ever.

-g2vd
Last edited by g2vd on Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
Godzilla

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

^ Any post from a basketball player that has to sign their name repeatedly at the bottom of each post is bound to be cringy :lol:
Godzilla165 wrote:Godzilla Neo
Jesus Christ, and those backstories too
"King Caesar can sometimes be seen teaching Godzilla karate" :lol:
Yeah, no thank you, Matt

Audrey's acting in G98
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

Elizabeth Olsen's "running" in G'14:

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

That part when Aaron Taylor Johnson asked Elizabeth Olsen if she'd "driven a Ford lately"

Mechagigan
Futurian

Post by Mechagigan »

The (generally) 'older' crowd praising Showa beyond belief. Yes, it was an era of creativity and ingenuity, and it arguably is the best era all-in-all, but don't act like movies like Son of Godzilla or Destroy All Monsters are absolute gold. I personally appreciate them for what they are, and you do kind of have to go into some of the movies knowing what to expect, but I wouldn't attack a user for finding them disappointing. I feel like it's a case of extremely rose-tinted glasses.

Same goes with some of the bashing newer, more controversial films get, like Zilla or (especially) FW. I understand they're far from good installments, but there has been much, much worse. Zilla, I understand the hate for (though I think it's a bit overdone in some aspects), but FW isn't the massive middle-finger to the fans that people project it to be. Is it poorly written, badly acted, and generally not well-made? Yes. But I'd hardly call it 'offensive' or even terrible. It's cheesy and brainless, but it delivers what it promises.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Yeah, the group of people who constantly bash FW make me cringe, I get it, it's not the best, but at least for me, it felt like a Showa movie on meth, so I could dig it. And seeing guys like Anguirus, Gigan, and Kumonga after so many years was really cool.
DeathGhidorah 2.0 made me cringe tho, they should have just eliminated Monster X, replaced him with Megalon, then after Godzilla and Mothra defeated the two, I would have cued Gorath and had a Showa-esq Ghidorah be born from it, but maybe that'd be too over the top :lol:

We need to find some cringe worthy TK posts around here too, those are always great for a laugh

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

As far as the films
Showa Era
All Monsters Attack-through-Godzilla vs Megalon make me cringe in general...they are out and out the 'worst' of the era in my opinion. They have great value as the 'cheesy fun' that they are...every franchise needs that 'low point'...but yeah, they make me cringe.

Heisei Era
Godzilla vs King Ghidorah - I just generally don't care for time travel in movies even when it all makes perfect sense, and the M-11 stuff, Emmy, the dorats....in my mind it is the out-and-out weakest of that Era

All of Godzilla 98, pretty much. There is SOME solid tension/build-up in the earliest parts of the movie, but once it gets going it is just a progressive downhill slide.

Millennium Era
Godzilla: Final Wars - It is a fun '50th anniversary celebration' kind of film, but gosh the sort of 'open arm embrace' of the campiest aspects of the franchise just feel off in a modern film.

Among the fandom
Elitist mindsets and condescending responses. I never would have thought that Kaiju Fandom would have any room for "Snobs" on any matter...but it looks like I was wrong. Being a snob about something doesn't make you any better than anyone, it pretty much just makes you an asshole
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

Superrex
G-Grasper

Post by Superrex »

"Crap through a goose"
"Make Godzilla go up his own butthole" or whatever the line was from the Godzilla X Megaguirus dub
Lain Of The Wired wrote:That part when Aaron Taylor Johnson asked Elizabeth Olsen if she'd "driven a Ford lately"
I probably would've actually stifled a laugh if that line was actually uttered during that scene. But it would still have been cringey nonetheless.
Probably the unluckiest guy in the Shadow Arena
Shadow Arena History:
Wins:7
Defeats:8
Chris55 wrote:
wisper15 wrote:I sucks donkey dick.
"He's really bad at it too!"

-The donkey

Godzilla165
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla165 »

Aside from a select few like Steven, figure reviewers on YT.

#BotM

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

1. "I love Godzilla! But fuck those Japanese films, they are inferior to Hollywood's Godzilla! They are jealous of ours!"

I know I am entering the "you're not a true fan" territory here but if you really liked Godzilla then you'd think they'd be glad Toho is making films at the same time as Legendary because hey more Godzilla movies in less time! AWESOME! Nope, they get "offended." Like who cares whose making the films as long as they are entertaining. If you like the Legendary one then you'd like the Toho films because they are the same damn thing, a sea monster who fights monsters and shoots death rays.

I'm not saying they need to love every movie to be a "real fan", I think Godzilla's Revenge is one of the worst Godzilla films and just a bad film even by children's film standards, and they don't even need to see most of the movies (Godzilla Raids Again was the last movie I saw for the first time), but when I see comments like the above, I don't see a fan, I just see stupid nationalism and jacking off to Hollywood. When I see comments like the above I get the distinct feeling they never even really sat down and watch any of the Toho films and they either never will or if they do they will go in making up their mind to hate it before they even watch it.

Like what do they mean "our" Godzilla? The character is still owned by Toho, they still get a cut of the profits cause we are using their character. Holy shit, people act like it's countries armies fighting. It's just film companies trying to appeal to as wide as a market as possible to make money. You boycott Toho films, guess what? You still give them money by paying to see the Legendary Godzilla films.

These are also the same people who say Legendary is realistic when they really mean is convincing, remember Legendary wants to use a super sonic pterodactyl, moth goddess of peace, and a space dragon. And they started off with a death ray spewing sea monster like Toho in their first movie + 2 weird ass platypus of the kaiju monsters. If anything Legendary is getting just as balls to the wall as Toho much faster in a shorter amount of films.

I've made rant videos on this on my channel.

2. "You should be able to read my mind" Special snowflake G-Fan lady.

I've talked about this one before a while ago in a big post on the nerves topic. So I rejoined Monster Girl Redux (yes it's exactly what you think) after not being a part of the community in forever. In the chat room a woman by the username of ShinRyu0, such an original name, I know, joins and immediately starts talking about dragons.

I tell her the Godzilla series has a space hydra called King Ghidorah.

Her response?

"The chat is not letting me post the you don't say meme."

I just met this person. I've known her for less than 5 seconds and all I knew is she likes dragons. How in the ever loving hell was I supposed to know, read her mind? And even if we had met on the old forum, that was YEARS ago. I don't remember her or anyone really. I'd be fucked if you asked me who was new or old. So I say "not everyone knows that" hoping she'd get the hint.

"Everyone says he's the yellow(!You mean gold?) dude Godzilla fights"

Well congrats, she didn't get the hint. And good for you honey/asshole, you know people who watched the films, lucky you. So she says her favorite monster is, I can't even remember, and another dude who was in the chat the entire time talking said Destoroyah was his favorite. Keep in mind before she showed up the chat had talked about a lot of things like Metal Gear, Mortal Kombat, anime, etc.

I showed them some of Matt Frank's art and they liked it, I talked about the Project Nemesis novel with them and they seemed interested. Not ONCE did anyone give a clue they were a Godzilla fan or mentioned it. But honestly that's the least of that places problems, a lot of other shit happened before and after, reminding me why I left all those years ago.

3. "What are you doing here?/I didn't expect to see you here?/I didn't know you were a fan of X? When's the next Godzilla video?"

OH. MAH. GAWWWWWHHHHHEEEEED.

I love the Godzilla franchise, I love the kaiju genera. They kept me company as a kid. It's inspired me to try becoming a film maker. But I also have other things I am a fan of besides giant monsters. For some reason my channel is bottle necked into becoming a Godzilla channel. I can not tell you the number of times I comment on a video for say Street Fighter, Skullgirls, Terminator or Markiplier and subscribers to me will see it and reply with the above.

Like it's an alien concept that I GASP like something besides Godzilla. Like boobs. Or gore. Or stealth. Or vampires. This wouldn't be so weird if my channel was nothing but Godzilla. Except I've done and still do Let's Plays of other things like Skullgirls, Darkstalkers, Splinter Cell, Mortal Kombat, Resident Evil, movie reviews, and analysis of games like Metal Gear and Skullgirls. It's honestly surprising to me that they are surprised I like something like Skullgirls or Mortal Kombat or Metal Gear when I make references to them all the damn time.

Did I mention I like Skullgirls, Mortal Kombat and Metal Gear?

Now I don't really hold it personally on my subscribers (I don't like using the word fans cause honestly, I am a nobody), I don't hate them, a lot of them are kids, but it does make me depressed when I try making my channel have more variety when I upload a different video and my Eternal Darkness and Majora's Mask playthoughs I uploaded as a special Halloween treat get underwhelming views compared to my kaiju videos and zero comments or a comment asking when the next Godzilla video is.

In a weird way, I think I have a small clue how Ishiro Honda felt when he wanted to do space films and kept getting ham-fisted into doing kaiju movies. Certainly explains why there were so many aliens and space monsters in Godzilla films or even why Godzilla and Rodan even ended up in space once.

4. Crammer Nazis

I'm not even talking about current events specifically I mean just in general. I've seen too many times in the past where a topic gets derailed because one word is misspelled. ONE WORD in a wall of paragraphs. It could be an honest mistake, it could be one letter off because they hit the wrong button that is right next to the right letter.

It's on thin whn thy terk lick dis.

But when they just saidd this?

One letter off? Grow the fuck up. You're being a P.L.F.A.F. (Prick Looking For A Fight). And the real world is gonna chew you up and spit you out. Everyone makes mistakes even Crammer Nazis. Teachers fuck up too. You correct them? Detention. Correct the boss? Get fired. Think that last one can't happen? Humans are incredibly petty. Man kills his son for eating the last yogurt in Gantz and people say "pfft that is so un-real". Then it happens in real life and people ask "what the hell is wrong with people?" For the record, it's happened in both the Gantz manga and real life.

People have killed or fired someone for petty reasons because some of us are that cartoonishly petty. Like pointing out one letter off in a wall of text that is otherwise right levels of petty.

I would have lost my friends if I got on their case every time they were too lazy to use an uppercase letter in an e-mail. At least they talk in full words and sentences most times. I hate reading teens texts where I have to figure out what 90% of it is abbreviations for.

And you know what? Some people have learning disabilities or English is not their first language or they are less fortunate and didn't get a proper education. And honestly you guys should be glad you only read my texts. My hand writing is shit both from my disabilities and the medicine they put me on. It's worse than chicken scratches.

It just comes off as a vain attempt to prove you're smarter than everyone else by making someone else feel dumb. And it seems like an attempt to prove it to yourself, like you doubt yourself. If you really believed it, then you would just believe it and not try to prove it someone you feel is beneath you. Why waste your time on someone beneath you?
Godzilla165 wrote:Godzilla Neo
5. Generic Dinosaur Re-Design

Really any fan design where they make a generic IRL T-Rex, glue spikes on it, and call it Godzilla. DA is plagued with them. Which makes it a pain to find the GOOD fan designs.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I cringe when people call the Mutos Mothra. It's actually happened, twice.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Vatarian
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Vatarian »

edgaguirus wrote:I cringe when people call the Mutos Mothra. It's actually happened, twice.
Twice? There was an entire troll-debate about the validity of calling the Mutos Mothra. It lasted for weeks and it was hilarious.

Mechagigan
Futurian

Post by Mechagigan »

The entire 'Rocks are just like CDs' scene in GMK. It really sucks that movie had to be good, cause I wanna make fun of that weird little moment more.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Vatarian wrote:
edgaguirus wrote:I cringe when people call the Mutos Mothra. It's actually happened, twice.
Twice? There was an entire troll-debate about the validity of calling the Mutos Mothra. It lasted for weeks and it was hilarious.
Guy Battra and Fem-Battra.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

GMK before the magic is pretty cringey

Young Guy
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Young Guy »

Kaiju-King42 wrote: -The horse in FCTW.
What?

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Young Guy wrote:
Kaiju-King42 wrote: -The horse in FCTW.
What?
The fake spastic horse Baragon eats

Julia Bristow
EDF Instructor

Post by Julia Bristow »

M-11 running in Godzilla vs King Ghidorah
The "NIIIIIIIIIIIIIICCCCCCCEEEEEEEEE" line from the dub for Godzilla vs Mothra (1992)
The whole space battle between MOGEURA & Spacegodzilla
All Movie snobs can just f off IMO