Shin Gojira Sequel Speculation

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
Cookson
Futurian

Shin Gojira Sequel Speculation

Post by Cookson »

Thought maybe this could have it's own thread.

With Warner Brothers and Legendary Pictures pushing the sequel to Gareth Edwards GODZILLA(2014) back 9 months, do you think another TOHO produced Godzilla movie is in the works for a possible 2017/2018 release? Obviously they will wait to see how Shin-Gojira does at the box office, but I think the answer to this is yes. All indications point to it having a good opening weekend, as exclusive figures(that come with a ticket) have already sold out. I myself used a Japan service to buy 2 tickets(just to have!).

My other question is, if they do go into production for another movie, do you think they'll go with a direct sequel to Shin-Gojira or perhaps go the crossover route with Evangelion? The Godzilla X Evangelion collaboration definitely seems to be going over very well, and maybe they'll want to expand on that with an actual movie.

Thoughts?
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

LegendZilla
Sazer

Re: Shin-Gojira sequel speculation

Post by LegendZilla »

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

LegendZilla wrote:Thanks for ripping me off. http://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewto ... 40&t=24499
How is he ripping you off? His thread is based around potential sequel theorizing and yours is based around what monster he should fight.
--do you think they'll go with a direct sequel to Shin-Gojira or perhaps go the crossover route with Evangelion?
Hard to say really. Details on Shin are thin as paper. Assuming the film is open ended, then I would say hopefully a sequel to Shin. Though, with how Godzilla is now, er- design wish in film, that's a tough act to follow. I'd rather not see Evangelion crossover not take up a sequel film slot, or I'll be salty.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I'd actually like the Godzilla vs Evangelion film over just another sequel.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:I'd actually like the Godzilla vs Evangelion film over just another sequel.
I'm not against the idea (much). I'd love to see it be it's own thing and not interfere with a G16 sequel/follow up film. More Goidzura the better right?

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

SpaceG92 wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:I'd actually like the Godzilla vs Evangelion film over just another sequel.
I'm not against the idea (much). I'd love to see it be it's own thing and not interfere with a G16 sequel/follow up film. More Goidzura the better right?
Yeah, I'm always in that mindset. But I'd want Shin Gojira 2 to be more unique then rather then just a straight sequel. I've stated this many times but part of the reason I love the franchise is the diversity that exists within the movies of tone, action and variety of monsters.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Mechagigan
Futurian

Post by Mechagigan »

It's waaaay too early to be speculating on this (despite the fact the movie is only a few months away...), but I hope there will be a direct sequel. Knowing Toho, I'm sure there will be in some way.

I'm not an Eva fan, but hey, a separate GvE movie might be interesting. I feel like that might be a big outlandish for Shin's likely realistic tone, though.

ILL GREEN
Gotengo Officer

Post by ILL GREEN »

If there is a sequel or another film crew doing a canon-based story, I'd like if they could keep the '54 attitude for Goji and have him murder monsters, maim them, bite and cripple them. And each new monster will have an origin to get attached to so you can cry tears over them when Godzilla gorges a lung.

Kinda like what they were focused on with Godzilla Raids Again, blame KK vs G I guess.

Komenja
Interpol Agent

Post by Komenja »

It really depends on how Shin Gojira is and how it ends, but at the moment I'm hoping if we get another G film, it'll go back to basics with Godzilla fighting a monster. And preferably with a new design for Big G. ShinGoji is cool and all, but it doesn't look it could get in a good tooth-N-claw or grapple fight with another monster with it's gimpy irradiated Gary Coleman arms.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

That's the only issue with the Godzilla they created. Too stiff etc.. Can't see it battling another monster yet.

I could see them staring over AGAIN with a Godzilla/Evangelion spinoff duology.

I just think Toho will want to put out another film before the LP films start rolling out. I do think this will be the best Toho produced G film at the box office since GMK.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

fred25_ca
Monarch Researcher

Post by fred25_ca »

I really hope they continue with this version, not because it's looking like the greatest interpretation of all time of the big G (mind you, I do find it great) but because we haven't had a Godzilla movie continuity since Destroyah! I want to see a new Godzilla Toho series, rather than another batch of stand alone movies. They should stick to their choice and try to improve on them, while bringing fresh new creative talents on board. I want to see new monsters and old ones in this dark environment. While the Heisei series had it's fair share of problems, the one thing that made movies like SpaceGodzilla enjoyable was their link to the rest of the series. I want to see 6 to 8 sequels, with bigger and badder monsters. Heck, Toho can even try to do once more their own expanded universe and do new solo movies of Mothra and Rodan if they want to, and then have them crossover with Godzilla. The bigger the universe, the richer I say. I love the Toho sci-fi universe from the 60's and I'd love to see them try to outdo that!

I really hope that if Shin Gojira is a success, they'll begin thinking big. It'd be great if this was their Return of Godzilla. Heck, Return had a pretty stiff and lifeless Godzilla in it and they improved on that in the sequel. There's no reason they couldn't here. They should build on what they''ve made rather than go back to the drawing board everytime.
My newest monster movie, "Home sweet home":
https://vimeo.com/134487385

xenotactics
Monarch Researcher

Post by xenotactics »

LegendZilla wrote:Thanks for ripping me off. http://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewto ... 40&t=24499
I used to think that the world revolved around me too. I turned four or five somewhere along the way...

StAiRcAsE KiTtY
Terminated
Terminated

Post by StAiRcAsE KiTtY »

xenotactics wrote:
I used to think that the world revolved around me too. I turned four or five somewhere along the way...
Damn!

On topic: If the script leak is right, I'd like to see more of Judas. Maybe one where it has infected other kaiju and taken on some of their attributes. A King Ghidorah, Anguirus, or Mothra Judas would be neat.
You want a battle...
Here's a war!

RIP, Judas. An amazing idea, gone before it was created.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

I only want Godzilla vs Evangelion if their going to actually do all the characters right. Maybe they could use it as a jumping off point. Anno needs to do Evangelion 4.0 first though.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Yo, Kitty: spoiler tags. Use em.

Mr. Xeno
Futurian

Post by Mr. Xeno »

miguelnuva wrote:I only want Godzilla vs Evangelion if their going to actually do all the characters right. Maybe they could use it as a jumping off point. Anno needs to do Evangelion 4.0 first though.
Seeing as Extended Universes are all the rage nowadays, maybe Toho wants to climb that Money Mountain, too. I'm not personally interested in an EVA crossover film, but if the money is there to make, then I wouldn't be all that surprised if that's the direction Toho went.
Castellan Zilla wrote:What? No dots on SHMA Mothra?! In the trash she goes.

Beef Bigshot
Xilien Halfling

Post by Beef Bigshot »

I think Godzilla should fight Redman in the sequel...

But seriously I kinda feel like this thread is a bit premature
Resized Image

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

Its why its just speculation. Anyway, I wonder if Toho has considered a Gamera crossover. They see the Godzilla/Kong stuff going ok so far in America... And the Godzilla X Evangelion collaboration is doing good. Why not take that step it seemed Toho would never do... A Godzilla/Gamera crossover. Godzilla doesn't have to die and neither does Gamera. Just do it. Crossovers ARE what make the big bucks. With the new team at Toho, I wonder if they've considered it.

godzillalives88
Interpol Agent

Post by godzillalives88 »

Cookson wrote:Its why its just speculation. Anyway, I wonder if Toho has considered a Gamera crossover. They see the Godzilla/Kong stuff going ok so far in America... And the Godzilla X Evangelion collaboration is doing good. Why not take that step it seemed Toho would never do... A Godzilla/Gamera crossover. Godzilla doesn't have to die and neither does Gamera. Just do it. Crossovers ARE what make the big bucks. With the new team at Toho, I wonder if they've considered it.
If Godzilla vs. Kong comes to fruition and does well, I think Toho doing a collaboration Gamera seems like a natural counter point. People always say it's impossible because Toho execs hates Gamera, but a lot of those execs were probably in power during the 60's and 70's - ie, when Gamera was eating into their audience. I'd be surprised if modern Toho employees bear the same resentment.

Anyway, as for a sequel, I obviously need to see Shin Gojira first but right now I'm pulling for the Evangellion crossover. Mostly because I think a full-length animated Godzilla film is long overdue.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

I just feel the time is right to do that crossover. It's a logical next step financially. Imagine if they went nuts and did a Godzilla/Gamera/Evangelion trilogy. That's a step I feel Toho needs to consider. However, I do love the idea of them using
Spoiler:
new kaiju like they're doing in Shin-Gojira and LP using the classics.
I do think Toho will get production going for a release in 2018. There's just too much of a gap between Godzilla movies(even considering Skull Island). It's probably why they did Shin-Gojira, to capitalize on this new found popularity by not waiting till 2018. Since G2 has been pushed back, they'll probably do another. The 2 year gap is PERFECT for Toho films. Don't rush them out like they did with pretty much all their films.