Return of Godzilla to be released on Blu-Ray/DVD on Sept 13th

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
Chris55
Site Director | Media Relations

Return of Godzilla to be released on Blu-Ray/DVD on Sept 13th

Post by Chris55 »

The Return of Godzilla will be released on Blu-Ray/DVD on September 13th. It'll have the Japanese audio track with English subtitles and also an English dub track. Kraken Releasing is well, releasing it. :)

More info to come.
Your misconceptions and fantasies along with your misguided sense of entitlement don't dictate my actions.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Re: Return of Godzilla to be released on Blu-Ray/DVD on Sept 13th

Post by Ivo-goji »

Sounds too good to be true, literally.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

Chris55 wrote:The Return of Godzilla will be released on Blu-Ray/DVD on September 13th. It'll have the Japanese audio track with English subtitles and also an English dub track. Kraken Releasing is well, releasing it. :)

More info to come.
Hahahahahhahaha

Good one Chris! I almost thought this was real.
Godzilla

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

Godzilla

Chris55

Post by Chris55 »

g2vd wrote:
Chris55 wrote:The Return of Godzilla will be released on Blu-Ray/DVD on September 13th. It'll have the Japanese audio track with English subtitles and also an English dub track. Kraken Releasing is well, releasing it. :)

More info to come.
Hahahahahhahaha

Good one Chris! I almost thought this was real.
You got us. TK teamed with Kraken to troll you :)
Your misconceptions and fantasies along with your misguided sense of entitlement don't dictate my actions.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

And I just got the boot last summer lol guess I'llupgrade to blu ray. Great this is finally getting a true release. Now all the fans who haven't can finally see it.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

Well, obviously happy about this! We'll probably never know HOW they are releasing it. Will be one happy man when this is in my hands.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Just bummed that the implication seems to be no New World cut. I mean, I'll totally buy this, it's great news, eager to see it on Blu, but, dammit, I have a decent boot of RoG, but for '85 I'm still stuck with my darned VHS!
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Chris55

Post by Chris55 »

Cookson wrote:Well, obviously happy about this! We'll probably never know HOW they are releasing it. Will be one happy man when this is in my hands.

On DVD/Blu-Ray

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

Chris55 wrote:
Cookson wrote:Well, obviously happy about this! We'll probably never know HOW they are releasing it. Will be one happy man when this is in my hands.

On DVD/Blu-Ray
I meant how they got the rights. :D
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Well, I guess I'm going to have to buy that now and throw out my bootleg.

Who knew if you give people what they want they'd spend money on it!
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

I bet "an English dubbed version" means a VHS rip of Godzilla 1985. You always gotta set the bar really, really low for English dub presentations nowadays. After all, it evidently takes a Criterion to restore one now.

In any case, I'm betting this is gonna be a pretty barebones release. Sucks since there's a lot of great material that could be included with G85, including an audio commentary opportunity with RJ Kizer.
Last edited by Tamura on Thu May 19, 2016 10:03 am, edited 4 times in total.

Chris55

Post by Chris55 »

Cookson wrote:
Chris55 wrote:

On DVD/Blu-Ray
I meant how they got the rights. :D
Yeah, I want to know that too! :)

godzillalives88
Interpol Agent

Post by godzillalives88 »

AMAZING NEWS! Though I'm a little bummed about the lack of the New World Cut. Not complaining though, as we're lucky to get this at all!

Now if someone would just put out the 4K Japanese King Kong vs. Godzilla...

AbudJasemAlBaldawi
Monarch Researcher

Post by AbudJasemAlBaldawi »

Tamura wrote:I bet "an English dubbed version" means a VHS rip of Godzilla 1985. In any case, I'm betting this is gonna be a pretty barebones release. Sucks since there's a lot of great material that could be included with G85, including an audio commentary opportunity with RJ Kizer.
They'd promote the shit out of the fact that it comes with G85 if that was the case, so I doubt it, I think it'll just be the audio track of the international dub over the original Japanese print (like the GvB blu ray)
What do you believe in, heaven or hell?
You don't believe in heaven 'cause we're livin' in hell...

goji1986
JXSDF Technician

Post by goji1986 »

Oh happy day!

Hoping the term "English dub" means Godzilla 1985, but until Kraken clarifies I'll temper my hopes and dreams.
PM me for Godzilla versus The Sea Monster Titra Dub HD reconstruction! BLURAY-READY EDITION NOW AVAILABLE!
(Former V2.0 still available as well)
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5561

Godzilla vs The Smog Monster AIP Dub HD reconstruction COMPLETE!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=26132

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

If all they have is a copy on par with or worse than the bootlegs currently available, I don't think they'd want to emphasize its inclusion. Just a thought.

I'm more excited about the Australian Godzilla 1985 VHS I'll be ripping soon than I am about this release. At least I can be assured that it will contain content I've never seen before. It's pretty easy to predict the basic contents of this: A Toho transfer, a trailer or two and an unspecified English dub in unknown quality that seems to be considered an extra, judging by the writing of the press release. Once a dub is basically given the status of a bonus feature, you can tell it's not going to be the most careful presentation.

I'm not saying this is a useless release. It's just a useless release for fans like me. Unless by some miracle this will include a new uncut transfer, or G85 in HD, I could basically reconstruct this edition with copies I've owned since before 2009. But for the people who have somehow avoided bootlegs this entire time (your patience is truly peerless), this should be pretty exciting.
Last edited by Tamura on Thu May 19, 2016 10:36 am, edited 7 times in total.

GalacticPetey
Gotengo Officer

Post by GalacticPetey »

I just like the idea of having a legit release of the film in the states. It's that one hole in my collection I've wanted to fill. Well, without counting the rest of the Hanna Barbara Godzilla show.
I can't believe that Godzilla was the only surviving member of its species, but if we continue conducting nuclear tests, it's possible that another Godzilla might appear somewhere in the world again.

Starsteam
Keizer

Post by Starsteam »

I'm thinking the English dub is going to be the international dub for "Return" and that G85 is still having rights issues. But I'd love to be wrong.

Amazing news though, it's about time.