Talkback Thread #12: Godzilla vs. Gigan (1972)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Goji
Xilien Halfling

Re: Talkback Thread #12: Godzilla vs. Gigan (1972)

Post by Goji »

The scenes lifted from Ghidorah the Three Headed Monster are what take me out of the movie the most, but I still adore this film, so it doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things. To me, anyway. I should probably note that as a kid, those scenes didn't bother me, even though I could tell they were from GTTHM, so like ebaker pointed out, it works for it's intended age group. It's probably Nakano's 'grossest' use of stock footage in any of the Godzilla films he worked on, but it doesn't hamper my enjoyment of the overall experience.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

GalacticPetey
Gotengo Officer

Post by GalacticPetey »

Goji wrote:The scenes lifted from Ghidorah the Three Headed Monster are what take me out of the movie the most, but I still adore this film, so it doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things. To me, anyway. I should probably note that as a kid, those scenes didn't bother me, even though I could tell they were from GTTHM, so like ebaker pointed out, it works for it's intended age group. It's probably Nakano's 'grossest' use of stock footage in any of the Godzilla films he worked on, but it doesn't hamper my enjoyment of the overall experience.
I agree that the GTTHM footage takes me out the most. It also makes me wish I could be watching the Ghidorah in that movie as opposed to the seemingly static one in this movie.
I can't believe that Godzilla was the only surviving member of its species, but if we continue conducting nuclear tests, it's possible that another Godzilla might appear somewhere in the world again.

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Post by kamilleblu »

GalacticPetey wrote:
Goji wrote:The scenes lifted from Ghidorah the Three Headed Monster are what take me out of the movie the most, but I still adore this film, so it doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things. To me, anyway. I should probably note that as a kid, those scenes didn't bother me, even though I could tell they were from GTTHM, so like ebaker pointed out, it works for it's intended age group. It's probably Nakano's 'grossest' use of stock footage in any of the Godzilla films he worked on, but it doesn't hamper my enjoyment of the overall experience.
I agree that the GTTHM footage takes me out the most. It also makes me wish I could be watching the Ghidorah in that movie as opposed to the seemingly static one in this movie.
Ghidorah had fallen on hard times. If you think he looks bad in Gigan, you'd hate to see his condition in Zone Fighter. I'm assuming Toho had been using the same suit since 1964. If so, it held up rather well all things considering.

The scenes from Ghidrah are so few there was almost no point including them. Less than two minutes at the most? Was it really that difficult to film Godzilla charging King Ghidorah?

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

kamilleblu wrote:
GalacticPetey wrote:
Ghidorah had fallen on hard times. If you think he looks bad in Gigan, you'd hate to see his condition in Zone Fighter. I'm assuming Toho had been using the same suit since 1964. If so, it held up rather well all things considering.

The scenes from Ghidrah are so few there was almost no point including them. Less than two minutes at the most? Was it really that difficult to film Godzilla charging King Ghidorah?
I'm curious about the degree to which they chose stock footage to suit the needs of the fight vs. choreographing the fight based around the stock footage they knew they had available.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

GalacticPetey
Gotengo Officer

Post by GalacticPetey »

kamilleblu wrote:
GalacticPetey wrote:

I haven't seen Zone Fighter but I can't imagine he looks great there.
I can't believe that Godzilla was the only surviving member of its species, but if we continue conducting nuclear tests, it's possible that another Godzilla might appear somewhere in the world again.

Mr. Xeno
Futurian

Post by Mr. Xeno »

GalacticPetey wrote: I haven't seen Zone Fighter but I can't imagine he looks great there.
Shield your eyes!
Castellan Zilla wrote:What? No dots on SHMA Mothra?! In the trash she goes.

GalacticPetey
Gotengo Officer

Post by GalacticPetey »

Oh Ghiddy, what happened.

Mechagigan
Futurian

Post by Mechagigan »

I'm surprised they even used the suit at that point. Not even that groovy-ass battle music can hide how bad he looks :freak:

ThunderScore
Monarch Researcher

Post by ThunderScore »

Radek
Ronin

Post by Radek »

Is there any information on the artist who provided manga drawings for the film? Would be fun to see some more of their work.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

That'd be a cool poster to own.
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

I'd love for a commentary of this since it had quite the history and it's really strange how crisp and clean it is mixed with stock footage. It's not a favorite but it has a lot of moments, plus Gigan, I love.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Which movies was each soundtrack in the film derived from? Can anyone give me a rundown?

Stevo_1985
JXSDF Technician

Post by Stevo_1985 »

Turkatron. The robotic turkey from 9595, sent to save great great grandfather Goblox, the future leader of the turkey rebellion against the master chicken... I always loved Gigan. While the film is rather cringeworthy at times, I enjoy it. The Godzilla and Anguiras talking I find a bit unbarable. But for a giant cybernetic chicken I always thought he was a unique kaiju.

Sorry Kiryu
#Notmymechagodzilla

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Gigan has a great design. It's unusual looking in some respects, but Gigan is a memorable foe.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

LegendZilla wrote:Which movies was each soundtrack in the film derived from? Can anyone give me a rundown?
Not many I don't think. A lot of the music comes from concerts and fairs and such. If you're not overly familiar with Ifukube's non kaiju work it impossible to know the score wasn't made for the film. I didn't know that until TK.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:Which movies was each soundtrack in the film derived from? Can anyone give me a rundown?
Not many I don't think. A lot of the music comes from concerts and fairs and such. If you're not overly familiar with Ifukube's non kaiju work it impossible to know the score wasn't made for the film. I didn't know that until TK.
I know some of it is derived from Expo '70.

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

Rodan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Rodan »

Space Hunter M wrote:Hey check this out:
http://godzillavsgigan.ytmnd.com/
I'm amazed that "He was a thick as two short planks" never made it into a King Geedorah track. There's some rhythm in that delivery.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Rodan wrote:
Space Hunter M wrote:Hey check this out:
http://godzillavsgigan.ytmnd.com/
I'm amazed that "He was a thick as two short planks" never made it into a King Geedorah track. There's some rhythm in that delivery.
Agreed. That would have fit perfectly.

And now I want to rush home and either listen to Take Me to Your Leader or watch the dub of Godzilla vs. Gigan.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.