Godzilla: Save the Earth discussion

For the discussion of Toho video games and video games of Toho related characters only.
JVM
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 5173
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:06 pm

Re: Godzilla: Save the Earth discussion

Postby JVM » Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:58 pm

The Godzilla King wrote:
JVM wrote:I'm still surprised they couldn't fix her up for GU PS2, although I do wonder if that's because the developers were convinced she was totally deleted.


Well they used the same texture for both STE and GU with only some differences in color, so she couldn't have been completely deleted. There actually is a few references to her in some of the script files in the PS2 version, but no actual character files. I also noticed that the PS2 version of GU contains a few leftover files from the PSP version, an unused map called "60.zip", and all of the music for the Wii-exclusive kaiju.

I've really no idea. I'm just speculating. It just seems like in the four months GU PS2 was in development, fixing Biollante wouldn't have been difficult and it'd be one more monster on the roster - but maybe there's things I don't know. I just know Mr. Strange seemed adamant that she was completely removed up until she showed up on YouTube.

Scripts for the PS2 version of STE or GU? I noticed her referenced in STE's PS2 disc once when I was futzing around but I didn't dare mess with it. The unsued map bit is interesting.
I don't think I saw the same movies as the rest of you.
I'll always miss Vega.

User avatar
The Godzilla King
Interpol Agent
Posts: 545
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:05 pm

Re: Godzilla: Save the Earth discussion

Postby The Godzilla King » Sun May 01, 2016 7:05 am

JVM wrote:Scripts for the PS2 version of STE or GU? I noticed her referenced in STE's PS2 disc once when I was futzing around but I didn't dare mess with it. The unsued map bit is interesting.


That was for GU. Some references are clearly leftovers from STE but a few like "TokyoBiollanteReveal" are clearly new references. This all could be leftover from the Wii version however, there's even some references to Varan. The unused map for GU doesn't load and has a significantly smaller file size compared to the other map. They also have some Network scripts that are actually different from STE. I also found a text document called "Version.txt", which is present in the Wii version as well. It says "1.0.0.0135 10/12/2007 10:17 AM Build@PIPEGODZILLA".

In STE, there's a "MonsterUpgrade.bsf" file. I believe this was mentioned in that one interview with Simon Strange. I couldn't do anything with it however. It just causes graphical errors. There's also "Carnival" versions of Jet Jaguar and Destoroyah but they don't work anyway.

Anyway, I looked through the ELF file for Save The Earth PS2 (the PS2 version of an exe file) and found that the game runs on Gamespy. I can request Gamemaster support for Save The Earth but I'd only do that if anyone else would actually use it. Basically Gamemaster is a replacement for Gamespy, so if they add support you can easily go online again.

Would anyone actually use the online feature if I bothered requesting support?
"Be careful not to choke on your aspirations, Director."

Youtube Channel

User avatar
SomeknowmeasXeno
Terminated
Terminated
Posts: 1638
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:44 am
Location: TK's Gentlemen Club

Re: Godzilla: Save the Earth discussion

Postby SomeknowmeasXeno » Sun May 01, 2016 7:10 am

I would if I knew how to get it running, I'd do it in a heartbeat. But I'm not good with machines.
"Tonight, when the blood moon finishes rising, I will summon my brother Yuul'syqpoth into this sphere of existence, and that's absolutely fantastic."

Image

User avatar
The Godzilla King
Interpol Agent
Posts: 545
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:05 pm

Re: Godzilla: Save the Earth discussion

Postby The Godzilla King » Sun May 01, 2016 7:23 am

SomeknowmeasXeno wrote:I would if I knew how to get it running, I'd do it in a heartbeat. But I'm not good with machines.


It's very easy, all you have to do is change the DNS settings when setting up your network connection and set the primary DNS to one of Gamemaster's. Of course, you'd need a PS3 with a wifi connection or a PS2 with a network adapter to get online.
"Be careful not to choke on your aspirations, Director."

Youtube Channel

User avatar
SomeknowmeasXeno
Terminated
Terminated
Posts: 1638
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:44 am
Location: TK's Gentlemen Club

Re: Godzilla: Save the Earth discussion

Postby SomeknowmeasXeno » Sun May 01, 2016 7:27 am

I have both a PS3 and a PS2 with a network adapter. But my PS3 isn't backwards compatible with PS2 discs.
"Tonight, when the blood moon finishes rising, I will summon my brother Yuul'syqpoth into this sphere of existence, and that's absolutely fantastic."

Image

User avatar
The Godzilla King
Interpol Agent
Posts: 545
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:05 pm

Re: Godzilla: Save the Earth discussion

Postby The Godzilla King » Sun May 01, 2016 7:37 am

SomeknowmeasXeno wrote:I have both a PS3 and a PS2 with a network adapter. But my PS3 isn't backwards compatible with PS2 discs.


I assume there's a way to change the DNS settings. However, I've heard that Sony terminated DNAS servers, which means this method may not work anymore.
"Be careful not to choke on your aspirations, Director."

Youtube Channel

User avatar
SomeknowmeasXeno
Terminated
Terminated
Posts: 1638
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:44 am
Location: TK's Gentlemen Club

Re: Godzilla: Save the Earth discussion

Postby SomeknowmeasXeno » Sun May 01, 2016 7:44 am

The Godzilla King wrote:
SomeknowmeasXeno wrote:I have both a PS3 and a PS2 with a network adapter. But my PS3 isn't backwards compatible with PS2 discs.


I assume there's a way to change the DNS settings. However, I've heard that Sony terminated DNAS servers, which means this method may not work anymore.


I'll look into it.

Added in 2 minutes 37 seconds:
Yep... everything went down on the 4th of April.
"Tonight, when the blood moon finishes rising, I will summon my brother Yuul'syqpoth into this sphere of existence, and that's absolutely fantastic."

Image

User avatar
The Godzilla King
Interpol Agent
Posts: 545
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:05 pm

Re: Godzilla: Save the Earth discussion

Postby The Godzilla King » Sun May 01, 2016 8:15 am

That sucks. I believe they are working on a fake DNAS server some maybe some time in the future it'll be possible.
"Be careful not to choke on your aspirations, Director."

Youtube Channel

User avatar
SomeknowmeasXeno
Terminated
Terminated
Posts: 1638
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:44 am
Location: TK's Gentlemen Club

Re: Godzilla: Save the Earth discussion

Postby SomeknowmeasXeno » Sun May 01, 2016 8:17 am

Yeah, hopefully.
"Tonight, when the blood moon finishes rising, I will summon my brother Yuul'syqpoth into this sphere of existence, and that's absolutely fantastic."

Image

User avatar
CheetoKamper
Interpol Agent
Posts: 716
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:02 am
Location: Evergreen Park IL
Contact:

Re: Godzilla: Save the Earth discussion

Postby CheetoKamper » Sun May 01, 2016 12:24 pm

JVM wrote:
The Godzilla King wrote:
JVM wrote:I'm still surprised they couldn't fix her up for GU PS2, although I do wonder if that's because the developers were convinced she was totally deleted.


Well they used the same texture for both STE and GU with only some differences in color, so she couldn't have been completely deleted. There actually is a few references to her in some of the script files in the PS2 version, but no actual character files. I also noticed that the PS2 version of GU contains a few leftover files from the PSP version, an unused map called "60.zip", and all of the music for the Wii-exclusive kaiju.

I've really no idea. I'm just speculating. It just seems like in the four months GU PS2 was in development, fixing Biollante wouldn't have been difficult and it'd be one more monster on the roster - but maybe there's things I don't know. I just know Mr. Strange seemed adamant that she was completely removed up until she showed up on YouTube.

I think Bio. has only been found on the Xbox version of STE, if that's true than I'd assume that they used the files for the ps2 version of STE for the GU ps2 version but I'm a little foggy on it all.
He musta thought it was a gun!
I liked Giant Condor and Gabara before it was cool to just sayin.
Shadow arena record (5-3)

User avatar
GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President
Posts: 4634
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:25 am

Re: Godzilla: Save the Earth discussion

Postby GigaBowserG » Sun May 01, 2016 2:00 pm

CheetoKamper wrote:I think Bio. has only been found on the Xbox version of STE, if that's true than I'd assume that they used the files for the ps2 version of STE for the GU ps2 version but I'm a little foggy on it all.


Biollante's actually on both versions! So it is quite a conundrum why they weren't allowed to implement her in PS2 GU when her files existed. While her animations are kinda buggy, she only lacked a Rage animation, and that isn't even necessary since that's scrapped for Critical Mass!

Still, as stiff & unpolished as she is, she still looks and plays great. If GSTE is ever given a rerelease like WotM, I'd love to see her touched up on and released. But moreso I'd like to have a Random button :P
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada

/crawls back under rock

JVM
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 5173
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:06 pm

Re: Godzilla: Save the Earth discussion

Postby JVM » Mon May 02, 2016 2:24 am

Wonder how much effort it'd take to get a STE re-release via the PlayStation Store or something similar? Probably a stretch, but it'd be nice. And an enabled Bio would be much more of a stretch but a nice treat. I'm being too optimistic, probably.

Always wanted to play STE online, but never had the pleasure. Any time I asked for assistance about getting my PS2 online, I was always, always, always told to just buy a PS3.

But yeah, GU PS2 Biollante seemed like a no-brainer when it was in development. I'm still shocked it never happened.
I don't think I saw the same movies as the rest of you.
I'll always miss Vega.

User avatar
CheetoKamper
Interpol Agent
Posts: 716
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:02 am
Location: Evergreen Park IL
Contact:

Re: Godzilla: Save the Earth discussion

Postby CheetoKamper » Mon May 02, 2016 11:04 am

JVM wrote:Wonder how much effort it'd take to get a STE re-release via the PlayStation Store or something similar? Probably a stretch, but it'd be nice. And an enabled Bio would be much more of a stretch but a nice treat. I'm being too optimistic, probably.

Always wanted to play STE online, but never had the pleasure. Any time I asked for assistance about getting my PS2 online, I was always, always, always told to just buy a PS3.

But yeah, GU PS2 Biollante seemed like a no-brainer when it was in development. I'm still shocked it never happened.


It'd probably take a lot, I'd assume you'd first need an ok from TOHO on it, then find a team to port it over and do any improvements they could do to it. But really before any of that can happen you'd need demand and there simply just isn't enough demand for it for Sony to want to spend that money, especially with how "well" the last Godzilla game was revived you'd need a TON of demand for it even to be considered. But ontop of that it'd be better to try and get the Xbox version re-released if anything, being the better version and all.

They probably didn't want to put in the time to when they knew it was essentially destined to be the inferior version to the Wii version. They never planned on doing a ps2 version at all. Battra was already in the game before just in a different role all they did was reskin Mothra and her attacks for the adult form and the larva form wasn't really much different either. Then they reskined Orga for Obsidious and added the new maps and that was basically it. They likely didn't have time to really polish off Biollante nor did they likely want to when the ps2 version basically was a last minute choice and honestly they never should've bothered with it and just focused on polishing the Wii version instead of basically porting over a rather slow version of STE and changing a few things, when the psp version got dropped they should've gone all hands on deck for the Wii version or hell even the DS version but instead they decided (or were told to) poop out a new ps2 game in 4 months which is pretty obnoxious. While it may seem like a no brainer to add Biollante at the end of the day the simple fact is they probably didn't care enough to add anything more than they needed to and I honestly wouldn't blame them were that the case, in all honesty Atari is mostly to blame for a lot of the short comings of GU, especially the ps2 version.
He musta thought it was a gun!
I liked Giant Condor and Gabara before it was cool to just sayin.
Shadow arena record (5-3)

User avatar
SomeknowmeasXeno
Terminated
Terminated
Posts: 1638
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:44 am
Location: TK's Gentlemen Club

Re: Godzilla: Save the Earth discussion

Postby SomeknowmeasXeno » Mon May 02, 2016 1:36 pm

And yet PS2 Unleashed is my favourite game of the trilogy and I consider the Wii edition to be an embarrassment. Heh, strange isn't it? My mentality is that there wasn't a need to fix what ain't broken, StE was great and PS2 Unleashed is StE with an RPG story. Fine by me. But I can understand why people might not like PS2 Unleashed... though how they like the god awful gameplay of Wii Unleashed baffles me. Plus isn't StE just an updated DAMM? Why do people give PS2 Unleashed poop for being StE 1.5 when StE is DAMM 1.5 at the end of the day?
"Tonight, when the blood moon finishes rising, I will summon my brother Yuul'syqpoth into this sphere of existence, and that's absolutely fantastic."

Image

User avatar
Kaiju-King42
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 5379
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:34 pm
Location: Monster Island

Re: Godzilla: Save the Earth discussion

Postby Kaiju-King42 » Mon May 02, 2016 2:52 pm

SomeknowmeasXeno wrote:Why do people give PS2 Unleashed poop for being StE 1.5 when StE is DAMM 1.5 at the end of the day?


Because there's only two new monsters in G:U PS2, and they're just clones of Mothra and Orga. Save the Earth had six new monsters with completely different move-sets, and the Wii version of G:U had eight new monsters with only two clones (G 54 and Mechagodzilla 1) among them.
Godzillian wrote:
Godzilla21 wrote:What is up with the American trope of hide the monster?

Jaws happened


ernesth100 wrote:
Ryguy wrote:When the new director is announced, I guarantee this fanbase will be torn through the middle...

We're always split down the middle. TK is like a giant buttcrack.


Anno wrote:never forget tadpole :godzilla:




User avatar
The Godzilla King
Interpol Agent
Posts: 545
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:05 pm

Re: Godzilla: Save the Earth discussion

Postby The Godzilla King » Mon May 02, 2016 3:11 pm

Kaiju-King42 wrote:
SomeknowmeasXeno wrote:Why do people give PS2 Unleashed poop for being StE 1.5 when StE is DAMM 1.5 at the end of the day?
and the Wii version of G:U had eight new monsters with only two clones (G 54 and Mechagodzilla 1) among them.


Ghidorah and MKG were also clones in GU.
"Be careful not to choke on your aspirations, Director."

Youtube Channel

User avatar
GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President
Posts: 4634
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:25 am

Re: Godzilla: Save the Earth discussion

Postby GigaBowserG » Mon May 02, 2016 3:12 pm

SomeknowmeasXeno wrote:Plus isn't StE just an updated DAMM? Why do people give PS2 Unleashed poop for being StE 1.5 when StE is DAMM 1.5 at the end of the day?


After playing it myself, I have a little more appreciation for PS2 GU. Its biggest drawbacks are the controls (will occasionally go nearly completely unresponsive while running around); the crazy long loading times; awful frame rates on stages that aren't the Vortaak mothership, especially on 4-player matches; and the terrible throwing physics... which can be absolutely hilarious.

PS2 GU is GSTE 1.2, but GSTE is more like GDAMM 1.9. There are many changes to the physics, animations, a much more extreme elemental system, tons of stages, and plenty of new monsters from GDAMM to GSTE. GSTE to PS2 GU... it takes most of GSTE's best parts, but makes them worse in some ways (controls, graphics, physics, loss of many stages). It's like a corrupted copy-paste.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada

/crawls back under rock

User avatar
Kaiju-King42
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 5379
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:34 pm
Location: Monster Island

Re: Godzilla: Save the Earth discussion

Postby Kaiju-King42 » Mon May 02, 2016 3:13 pm

The Godzilla King wrote:
Kaiju-King42 wrote:
SomeknowmeasXeno wrote:Why do people give PS2 Unleashed poop for being StE 1.5 when StE is DAMM 1.5 at the end of the day?
and the Wii version of G:U had eight new monsters with only two clones (G 54 and Mechagodzilla 1) among them.


Ghidorah and MKG were also clones in GU.


They were clones in all three games, so I didn't include them.
Godzillian wrote:
Godzilla21 wrote:What is up with the American trope of hide the monster?

Jaws happened


ernesth100 wrote:
Ryguy wrote:When the new director is announced, I guarantee this fanbase will be torn through the middle...

We're always split down the middle. TK is like a giant buttcrack.


Anno wrote:never forget tadpole :godzilla:




JVM
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 5173
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:06 pm

Re: Godzilla: Save the Earth discussion

Postby JVM » Mon May 02, 2016 5:33 pm

Just want to note -- I bought GU PS2 the day it was available, and the Wii version a week after release. I've played STE since mid-2005. I also own DAMM on Xbox and GameCube. So I have experience with all of the console games, although my experience with STE on Xbox is severely limited. I just wanted to clarify since it seems like some people only own one version.

And yet PS2 Unleashed is my favourite game of the trilogy and I consider the Wii edition to be an embarrassment. Heh, strange isn't it? My mentality is that there wasn't a need to fix what ain't broken, StE was great and PS2 Unleashed is StE with an RPG story. Fine by me. But I can understand why people might not like PS2 Unleashed... though how they like the god awful gameplay of Wii Unleashed baffles me. Plus isn't StE just an updated DAMM? Why do people give PS2 Unleashed poop for being StE 1.5 when StE is DAMM 1.5 at the end of the day?

GU PS2 is essentially, what STE was supposed to be before story mode fell so far behind that it had to be gutted and rebuilt as Action Mode and the challenges. The story would've been different and I don't think there would've been factions, but the RPG elements originated there.

My only major issues with the PS2 version of GU were rooted in the fact it doesn't run as smoothly as STE -- the loading times are longer and the frame rate issues. Those were not as present or pronounced in STE. I'm also annoyed by the way the Seattle lava makes the character twitch, I commend the Pipeworks' teams efforts to re-create the game in a few months, including the arenas and story mode, but the fact it contains no fully new monsters from STE (though Battra and Obsidius do have new models and a few new animations, they still share a lot with Mothra and Orga, as oft-mentioned) is a dig, along with the inability to run smoothly. The "corrupted coypy-paste" comparison is apt - I'd usually just rather pop in STE.

For eight years now, I've known the controls to the Wii version like the back of my hand, and I've never experienced any severe gameplay problems since. I mean, mind you, I don't let my friends pick Destoroyah :P
I don't think I saw the same movies as the rest of you.
I'll always miss Vega.

User avatar
Kaiju-King42
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 5379
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:34 pm
Location: Monster Island

Re: Godzilla: Save the Earth discussion

Postby Kaiju-King42 » Mon May 02, 2016 6:09 pm

JVM wrote: I mean, mind you, I don't let my friends pick Destoroyah :P


Lawl. My brother and I had a mutual ban on using Destoroyah back in the day. He was only for Player vs AI fights.
Godzillian wrote:
Godzilla21 wrote:What is up with the American trope of hide the monster?

Jaws happened


ernesth100 wrote:
Ryguy wrote:When the new director is announced, I guarantee this fanbase will be torn through the middle...

We're always split down the middle. TK is like a giant buttcrack.


Anno wrote:never forget tadpole :godzilla:





Return to “Toho Video Games”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest