Godzilla Misconceptions You Like To Clear Up

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Godzilla Misconceptions You Like To Clear Up

Post by g2vd »

So we've all been there, you've seen somebody on some site say something completely wrong about the franchise. like say "Godzilla Breathes Fire", "Godzilla Junior is the Godzilla in every Millenium Film" or something like that, this thread is where you can clear up these Misconceptions.

-Godzilla is only a Dinosaur in the Heisei Continuity. In both the Showa and the many alternate realites in the Millenium Series, Godzilla is actually a underwater/underground reptile that was already giant.
Godzilla

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Re: Godzilla Misconceptions You Like To Clear Up

Post by Ivo-goji »

He is technically a dinosaur in all continuities, he's just not a mutated Godzillasaurus anywhere except the Heisei series.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

I got one that can be summed up in two words.

Cardboard.

Buildings.

Annoys the hell out of me every time I see it mentioned.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Gerdzerl

Post by Gerdzerl »

Ivo-goji wrote:He is technically a dinosaur in all continuities, he's just not a mutated Godzillasaurus anywhere except the Heisei series.
How so?

Godzilla 1954 and Showa Godzilla are stated by Dr. Yamane to be transitional / hybrid animals between land and sea reptiles and Legendary Godzilla is explicity a Permian era animal.

Mechagigan
Futurian

Post by Mechagigan »

Wasn't there already a misconceptions thread of some kind?

Godzilla being green is a pet peeve of mine. He's only been green (or, hell, sometimes even blue) a select few times. Gray's where it's at.

GodzillaFanatic2001
Monarch Researcher

Post by GodzillaFanatic2001 »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:I got one that can be summed up in two words.

Cardboard.

Buildings.

Definetly. This bugs me every time someone says it. It honestly makes me wonder if these people have even seen cardboard break, because I have never seen cardboard shatter and collapse like miniature models do.
HayesAJones wrote:
Godzilla 2000 wrote:Its harmless fun, pure and simple.
As opposed to those dangerously fun movies.

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

Gerdzerl wrote:
Ivo-goji wrote:He is technically a dinosaur in all continuities, he's just not a mutated Godzillasaurus anywhere except the Heisei series.
How so?

Godzilla 1954 and Showa Godzilla are stated by Dr. Yamane to be transitional / hybrid animals between land and sea reptiles and Legendary Godzilla is explicity a Permian era animal.
Speaking of misconceptions, the only thing that suggests/supports this is Awakening, and to say that its canonicity status is dubious at best would be extremely generous, because, aside from being contradicted by the opening credits, there's no way in hell that Serizawa's in his 70s during G'14.

Never trust a tie-in comic/novelization/what-have-you that was based on a script that wasn't the final one.
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:I got one that can be summed up in two words.

Cardboard.

Buildings.

Holy shit this aggregates me, that and "lol zippers"
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

GodzillaFanatic2001
Monarch Researcher

Post by GodzillaFanatic2001 »

Breakdown wrote:
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Cardboard.

Buildings.
Holy shit this aggregates me, that and "lol zippers"
I've read so many reviews online in which people mistake Godzilla's breast bone for the zipper. It's hard enough to enter the suits from the back, I can't imagine what it would be like to enter from the front!
HayesAJones wrote:
Godzilla 2000 wrote:Its harmless fun, pure and simple.
As opposed to those dangerously fun movies.

Mechagigan
Futurian

Post by Mechagigan »

Here we have it!
http://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewto ... &start=740

Not 100% misconceptions, but it's the same idea.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

NSZ wrote:
Gerdzerl wrote:
How so?

Speaking of misconceptions, the only thing that suggests/supports this is Awakening, and to say that its canonicity status is dubious at best would be extremely generous, because, aside from being contradicted by the opening credits, there's no way in hell that Serizawa's in his 70s during G'14.

Never trust a tie-in comic/novelization/what-have-you that was based on a script that wasn't the final one.
To be fair, LPG Godzilla's design looks more like a early mammal-like reptile than any other class of animal, theropods included. And the Permian extinction would certainly explain why there are no more Godzilla and Mutos... or if nothing else, maybe they were the cause of the extinction event altogether.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:
NSZ wrote:
Gerdzerl wrote:
How so?

To be fair, LPG Godzilla's design looks more like a early mammal-like reptile than any other class of animal, theropods included. And the Permian extinction would certainly explain why there are no more Godzilla and Mutos... or if nothing else, maybe they were the cause of the extinction event altogether.
I'm gonna have to politefully disagree there.
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

Didn't we have this discussion in the Godzilla: Reptile, Mammal or Synapsid thread? :lol:
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

Gojira18
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira18 »

"Godzilla 2014 has little to no action in it."
Now I get and even agree on the cutting away approach being a bit excessive, but aside from those 3 times, we actually got to see a relatively decent amount of monster action. We had the male MUTO escape, using his EMP to destroy several jets, Godzilla literally cause a tsunami to sweep across Honolulu, the airport attack right until Godzilla gave his awesome roar, a few snippets of the female MUTO attacking Vegas, an actually intense scene with the female attacking the train on a bridge, Godzilla fighting the military on the GGB and decimating them, the male MUTO ripping apart the boat with the nuke on it, and the climax. So, yeah, it actually had more action than most people give it credit for. But I still understand the cutting away complaints.

M.o.g.u.e.r.a14
EDF Instructor

Post by M.o.g.u.e.r.a14 »

Godzilla always been male. Even in G98, he's a male that can asexually reproduce.
Fan of Godzilla, Pacific Rim, Sailor Moon, and Transformers.
Dezerb wrote: buenos ding dong didily dias senor.
http://i.imgur.com/PpE0DEQ.gif

Moguera14 X Sailor Moon

Skeleturtle
Monsterland Worker

Post by Skeleturtle »

M.o.g.u.e.r.a14 wrote:Godzilla always been male. Even in G98, he's a male that can asexually reproduce.
Exept for that A Space Godzilla story, where Godzilla is a female.

Tho that story is more bizzare than Showa movies and Kodayasha manga put together, and Godzilla being female is the least weirdest thing going in there.
LamangoKaijura wrote:
Zilla103192 wrote:I like the overall design, but a few things bother me.

Like, why does he walk with his hands facing palm up? That looks so awkward.
"Where the hell did I park? I could have sworn it was by Shibuya."

The plot twist is Godzilla's just looking for his damn car. His hands are facing palm up as if telling the world 'What the skreeonk'

M.o.g.u.e.r.a14
EDF Instructor

Post by M.o.g.u.e.r.a14 »

Skeleturtle wrote:
M.o.g.u.e.r.a14 wrote:Godzilla always been male. Even in G98, he's a male that can asexually reproduce.
Exept for that A Space Godzilla story, where Godzilla is a female.

Tho that story is more bizzare than Showa movies and Kodayasha manga put together, and Godzilla being female is the least weirdest thing going in there.
It was never made into a film. Only thing that's left of it is the script and concept art.
Fan of Godzilla, Pacific Rim, Sailor Moon, and Transformers.
Dezerb wrote: buenos ding dong didily dias senor.
http://i.imgur.com/PpE0DEQ.gif

Moguera14 X Sailor Moon

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

The KKvG alternate ending theory. Anyone on TK probably knows the theory, and knows it's bullshit, but most casual fans still believe it.

Frankly, I wish it was true.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Gamera is not a Godzilla monster. No they are not the same company either.

No Godzilla never teamed up with Ultraman (on film at least), that's Jet Jaguar.

Godzilla is not a genera of film, it is a film series or franchise. The word you're looking for in the case of the genera is kaiju or daikaiju to be more accurate and if that's too hard then just say giant monsters.

No Pacific Rim did not invent the work kaiju, it's Japanese and it means strange beast but in pop culture it's used to refer to monster.

Singular = kaiju. Plural = kaiju. There is no S when there is more than one kaiju.

No Pacific Rim didn't invent the word jaeger either, it's German and it means hunter. It's even the name of character in a MGS game made decades before PR, Frank Jaeger? Hello? Christ on a cracker.

Kaiju normally don't get killed or "defeated" by the military like most western giant monsters, most giant monster movies in the west they are just overgrown animals while kaiju films the monsters have insane powers and durability. To make an analogy, west is normal people, east is Superman.

Speaking of powers, no that is not fire.

Godzilla isn't a dragon or T-rex. What kind of animal is he? He's a Godzilla. DONE.

What do you mean "our" Godzilla and "Japan is jealous"? Legendary's version is still the character Godzilla, which is owned by Toho, you're still giving some of your money to Toho even if you refuse to watch the "inferior Japanese" ones.

Starsteam
Keizer

Post by Starsteam »

Toho didn't retcon G98 or change the Tristar's version of Godzilla into Zilla, or the animated series Godzilla into "Zilla Jr." Nor did they ever admit that putting Zilla in GFW was out of hate for the Tristar Godzilla.

Godzilla isn't usually green, but there are a few incarnations including comics and a cartoon where he is green, but that isn't the color he normally is. He also does breath fire in some of those comics and cartoons, but that isn't what it is in the movies.

Godzilla didn't lay the egg that hatched Minilla. He has always been described as being Minilla's adopted father.

Older Godzilla movies weren't always made for children. Many of the older ones were still made with an older audience in mind, but appropriate for an all-age audience.