Monster Toy Spotlight #20 - Godzilla (2014)

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Monster Toy Spotlight #20 - Godzilla (2014)

Post by g2vd »

This week's Spotlight points a spotlight on Godzilla 2014 or Legendary Godzilla, LPG or just Godzilla whatever you want to call him and the figure I've chosen to start it off is S.H. MonsterArts Godzilla 2014 SpitFire!

(Haha! still snuck in Hedorah)

The SHMA 2014 as many probably know has had a..troubled history back in 2014 as every Godzilla fan knows Legendary's Godzilla series kicked off with "Godzilla (2014)" bringing Godzilla back out of Retirement and back into the cinematic world. and Tamashii chose this particular Godzilla to be their 60th Anniversary figure, a move which made some fans a little disapponted as some felt that the 1954 Godzilla being the very first Godzilla is you know more fitting for a 60th Anniversary figure, but in my opinion I found it made some sense. what with it being the most recent Godzilla and the fact it's movie came out in 2014 which marked 60 years since Godzilla first emerged on the Cinematic world.

All seemed fine and dandy with the promo images Bandai released showcasing a great amount of detail and articulation, though it's accuracy and articulation seems were a matter of discussion at those times but than it began.

In the weeks prior to the figure's release in Japan images of the figure started showing up at conventions or on display at stores and what was seen looked pretty off. the Gaps appeared very noticable and quite the eyesore, but they paled in comparison to what was seen of it's paint job as it looked awful with the eyes looking in different directions as if he was a cartoon character and the teeth having copious amounts of red and white paint just splashed all around like a monkey painted it. during this time some fans came up with reasonable explantions for these errors that they were mearly defect figures that the store owners or covention management had put out to be displayed, and these were quite logical explations however the more appearances the figure made the harder it became to explain away it's defects. however the fanbase would soon learn about it's true quality when the figure released in Japan.

During it's release week in Japan fans were dying to learn new info about this figure's quality, with many looking at any place they could find to find pictures from Japanese owners of the figure to learn about it's quality what they found was not the thing one would expect of a $60 figure. but was exactly like what was seen previously at the cons and stores, the figure's paintjob was horrible with the teeth paint bleeding everywhere and the eyes each looking in different directions, not to mention the defects in the plastic of the figure as the tail often could not hold a pose and often drooped down after only a short while. this ignited a huge firestorm in the SHMA collector groups with many wondering how could Tamashii honestly release this awful quality figure and to not even mention that this was the 60th Anniversary figure which only made further fans mad and the rest we all know the story of.

Months later Tamashii goes to another convention and in their display two new repaints of 2014 were found. a Poster colored repaint and a Atomic Breath Varient called "SpitFire", this once again angered fans at how now after having already bought a $60 figure with terrible quality Tamashii was going to rerelease that mold with presumably much improved quality and it came with a Beam Effect too and a Muto Head. a few months later we learned that Tamashii had decided that the Poster Varient would be a Blu Ray box set exclusive and the SpitFire varient would be a Web Exclusive going for $74, the move both angered and pleased fans with fans that hadn't bought it or had already bought it being happy with the fact they now can have a much improved figure with Effect parts and cool translecutent mold and paint app. but other fans that had already bought the figure were angered by the fact that now Tamashii was releasing a improved version when that higher quality version should have been released in the first place and they would now have to spend a even greater amount of money to get it, and thus this brings us to the present.

The Review:

Paint
The SHMA 2014 has a much more muted color pallete than the original, with the whole figure's color scheme outside of the obvious blue paint nothing more than a light black. and even his tan belly is muted with the tan color barely noticable, especially on his feet the original SHMA despite it's well known defects had a pretty great amount of color and vibrancy with all the claws, toes and underbelly being properly colored as per film accuracy. here on SF it's looks like they've hardly been painted at all, especially on the claws where they don't have a single bit of color but black now one can argue that this more muted paintjob is to fit the night-time sequences in which he used his breath which makes sense. as with him being all vibrant and such wouldn't make sense as the blue spike paint is also supposed to represent light which would indicate darkness, (of course the box also says the copious amounts of blue paint used is supposed to stylistally represent the power of his beam) but one has to wonder if the more muted color scheme was also in part a attempt by Tamashii to reduce paint defects.

As for the blue paint though it's quite cool when you hold it up to light and you can see through it, however a problem that results from this is we lose that awesome detail that was on the Original's spikes so that's quite saddening and it is also saddening that the paint doesn't go all the way to the end of the tail like it does in the movie but either way it's cool. but of course one cannot talk about SHMA 2014 without mentioning the face paint and how did Tamashii handle it? it's far better than the original's and while the eyes still look a little off they're much improved over the original's and so are the teeth while the paint bleed may still be bad it's..better than the original. now do know that obviously paint quality varies on different figures but for mine I give it.

Paint Quality: C+

The SHMA 2014 does boost some very impressive articulation with each part of his body being articulated from his tail which boasts well over a dozen points of articulation to his torso which is comprised of two big articulated points and thus it gives him a wide variety of movement. and unlike the tail on the original this one holds poses much better than on the original, with it holding straight up into the air without drooping like the original did, however the articulation seems on it are often quite terrible and there's really not a pose you can put it in without it showing so it had some bad design work in that field. one thing to note on mine that it's hands are extremely loose with any little force knocking them off quite easily, now this is just a defect on mine but it's something to be cautious about if you are thinking about buying this figure in the future.

Artculation Quality: C+

Accuracy: C-

Verdic: It's a good figure but a underwhelming one, it could have been better but not much you can do with the mold in truth. overall it's a fine figure and one that defintely belongs in one's collection at some point.

Anyway, that brings the opening post for the Monster Toy Spotlight Thread #20: Godzilla 2014 to a close. now post you're 2014s.
Last edited by g2vd on Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Godzilla

KlenSeven
Interpol Agent

Re: Monster Toy Spotlight #20 - Godzilla (2014)

Post by KlenSeven »

X-plus & Neca

Resized Image

Resized Image

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

I like how there's still no accurate "atomic breath" G14 figure
Every figure either has the all the plate rows painted blue, or the plates are just completely painted blue, when in the movie, only the single row lit up, and it had a fissure blue effect, rather than just being all blue.
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

I only have the 6 inch Bandai figure, and that's most likely the only one I'll get, as I'm just not that big of a fan of this design. It's unremarkable, but easy on the wallet.

GIANT CONDOR!!!!!!!! :shock:

"Someone kick me, kick me hard! We're stupid." - Corn on the cob eatin' Hippie (Godzilla vs Gigan)

AWMGodzilla62
G-Force Personnel

Post by AWMGodzilla62 »

I just picked up the spitfire one the other day. It's an awesome figure!

BTW, if you guys want, I have an idea from the next Monster Spotlight! The only question is, since this one came a little late, do you want me to post it this weekend to get back on schedule or this time next week?

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

AWMGodzilla62 wrote:Image

I just picked up the spitfire one the other day. It's an awesome figure!

BTW, if you guys want, I have an idea from the next Monster Spotlight! The only question is, since this one came a little late, do you want me to post it this weekend to get back on schedule or this time next week?
Sounds good. If there are no objections, Spotlight #21 is AWMGodzilla62's :monsterx:

You can either start it this weekend, or give this current spotlight an additional week and post it the following weekend since it was started slightly late (totally up to you).
Last edited by ebirahsmeg1 on Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

"Someone kick me, kick me hard! We're stupid." - Corn on the cob eatin' Hippie (Godzilla vs Gigan)

Superrex
G-Grasper

Post by Superrex »

Pack of Destruction and Destruction City, NECA Scaler, and NECA "12.Image
The POD and Destruction City figures are pretty detailed for their size, the Scaler is a nice little novelty item, and the 12" is one of the most accurate G'14 toys out there.
Probably the unluckiest guy in the Shadow Arena
Shadow Arena History:
Wins:7
Defeats:8
Chris55 wrote:
wisper15 wrote:I sucks donkey dick.
"He's really bad at it too!"

-The donkey

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

Some online reviews from FreshVinyl:

X-Plus 30cm Godzilla 2014

X-Plus ROARING 30cm Godzilla 2014

S.H. Monster Arts Godzilla 2014

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Surprised nobody has posted the Jakks yet, so I will!

Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

Fresh Vinyl's review of the large NECA Godzilla 2014

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

....and the Jakks Pacific Gigant Godzilla 2014 figure:

Added in 9 hours 27 minutes 50 seconds:
Ok, we're now approaching the weekend, so it's time for Spotlight #21.

AWMGodzilla62, the floor is yours :g2k:

Mechagigan
Futurian

Post by Mechagigan »

NECA and Bandai Creations;
NECA was a hassle to find back when he first came out; having not preordered the figure, I was looking at every Toys R Us for the figure. Strangely enough, I finally found him at a local flea market (before any of my TRUs actually got him), complete in packaging. Mine's the 'blue' version; earlier ones had more of a blue wash, while later ones had less (I believe).

Though I did buy the MUTO (a smart move, seeing as now it's the only 6" figure of the monster), since I already owned NECA, I didn't bother to get Bandai's version; I figured, if I needed a vinyl version, BC's would suffice. And though it took me a surprisingly long time to actually run onto him, I must say it's a very nice figure.

JAKKS;
The first G'14 I found. I was very hyped for this figure; surprisingly, it came very fast to my local TRU. I was one of the first around here to have it, I believe; Just check out my first post. A fun little detail - mine came in the very early 'open' box, whereas larger releases came in a 'closed' box.

gigan72
Keizer

Post by gigan72 »

Mechagigan wrote:NECA was a hassle to find back when he first came out; having not preordered the figure, I was looking at every Toys R Us for the figure. Strangely enough, I finally found him at a local flea market (before any of my TRUs actually got him), complete in packaging. Mine's the 'blue' version; earlier ones had more of a blue wash, while later ones had less (I believe).
Nope. There was a botched assortment of the Neca Goji's that was missing the blue wash/chest paint entirely, which meant the only paint apps were on his claws, toes, eyes, and a mouth. The rest of the figure was just the plastic. I actually picked up both (I found the one w/out the wash at FYE first, but later picked up the one with the wash at a Toys R Us).
Here's a little comparison, as I own the two, but it may be harder to see the difference due to the lighting.
Spoiler:
Resized Image
[quote="KaijuFiend"][quote="Birdman"]Do you like what you see?[/quote]
No, and if I didn't value my eyesight so much, I'd bleach my eyes so I never had to see that shit again.[/quote]

11-22-13/11-23-14/12-27-14

Manticore
Gotengo Officer

Post by Manticore »

NECA 24'' HTT:

I love this big fellow. Takes up a lot of shelf space, but was worth every penny.

SHMA G14 and Spit Fire:

Both are equally awesome. I was about to pass on Spit Fire, but in the end I couldn't resist the beauty of the traslucent blue spines.
Mr. Xeno wrote:
Manticore wrote: Also, I pretty much agree with the poll results. Sorry, I'm not that much of a fan of the campy, absurd Showa era.
Then you're not a TRRRRrrrRrrUUUUuuUUuuUUuueEEeeEEeeEeeE FFFFFFFAAAAAAaAaAaAaaaaAAaanNnnnnnNNnnNnnNnnNnNN!

godzilla1541
EDF Instructor

Post by godzilla1541 »

my five 2014 godzillas ....warning big pictures

. jacks pacific Image smash strike failed custom godzilla Image neca godzilla Image shokugan godzilla Image scalers godzilla Image

Mechagigan
Futurian

Post by Mechagigan »

Snagged the MMS figure!

Seems like this figure is seen as one of the bigger blunders of Bandai in recent years; and, thanks to the abundance of G'14 figures available, it's easy to mark this figure as undesirable. However, in hand, he does have some redeeming values, and is honestly far from a bad figure.

First and foremost; the sculpt. Detail wise, it's amazing - practically on NECA's level. Every fold, plate, and scale looks great, right down to the teeth. Despite being one of MMS' softest figures, the sculpting is very deep and rich. This is absolutel;y the saving grace of the toy - say what you will of it's paint or scale issues, but he looks great.

It fails in minute, yet hugely impactful ways; most obviously, the head is just a bit too small (though, it tensd to look better from the side than from the front)... one or two sizes bigger wouldn't have hurt. The arms are cut oddly, as well, making him look very awkward head on. This really limits the toy to only a couple good poses, all without the arms anywhere but ahead. He's also very short - next to Shin, he looks like a grumpy old man. Perhaps a little more bulk on the little guy could've helped alleviate the head issue, as well.

The paint is often the deciding factor for this particular figure; I find that flash photography does it no justice whatsoever (hence the natural lighting above). The spray along the lower belly is a very nice contrast. The finger and toe nails are a smart touch, but docut away a bit from the accuracy. And, of course, the teeth - obviously, they stick out like a sore, whitened thumb, but considering how tiny that head is, it's not terrible work. Your opinion on this figure's paint will mostly rely on how accurate you prefer your figures to be.

Side note - he has insanely tiny pupils in both eyes, which is a really good touch. Makes me wonder why Shin didn't.

I'm having a tough time choosing which is better, Bandai's figure or BC's. Bandai give us a generally good figure with a clean, static pose - which goes much better with the rest of the MMS line - while BC picks up on Bandai's handful of faults, plus a really neat pose.

The biggest advantage other than matching with past figures I'd give Bandai's toy is the paint job - teeth aside, the extra shades really do add some depth to the toy, keeping it from looking too much like a chunk of vinyl. BC's is more monotone, but it just looks so pretty anyway, doesn't it?

I'd give it to BC - where Bandai tripped, it picked up, with slightly better proportions and a great sculpt. But, as an MMS junkie, I personally prefer his Japanese brother.

G'14 is a bit of a mixed bag - really well done sculpt with an attractive paint job, but alongside a couple bumps in the form of odd/cheap design and production choices. If you like this design and enjoy the MMS line, he's definitely worth your time - but sadly, he's not among Bandai's absolute finest. Give him a go if you're interested, but if you're looking for a gap filler or a truly accurate figure, there are admittedly better options.