Monster Discussion #57: Dagahra

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Monster Discussion #57: Dagahra

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Searched if one was already made and couldn't. If there was apologies. Anyways as the title shows. This is the thread to discuss Dagahra, the main antagonist of second of movie of the trilogy Rebirth of Mothra.

StAiRcAsE KiTtY
Terminated
Terminated

Re: Monster Discussion #57: Dagahra

Post by StAiRcAsE KiTtY »

My favorite kaiju. I love his design, roar and powers.
You want a battle...
Here's a war!

RIP, Judas. An amazing idea, gone before it was created.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Staircase Kitty wrote:My favorite kaiju. I love his design, roar and powers.
Agreed. Definitely one of my favorites as well. Glad I ain't the only one. :D

His design reminds me of a Manta Ray's which is a nice touch I must say.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

mmmm
Definitely not one of my faves. I kind of like the concept art of him more than the final suit product. But I can see where the appeal comes from. Had no idea he could fly until semi-rewatching RomII the other day!

There's another topic that reveals more details on Dagahra's creation. In Japanese though, so if you got time to translate it, more power to you.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Cool design, glad they didn't just have three Ghidorah opponents for the ROM series. I wish he crossed over in the comics, or in the video games more. While he's not a monster anyone is ever really going to have nostalgia over he's developed more than some of the original Godzilla kaiju, like Varan or Ebirah.

That being said, to me Daghara will always be an imitation of Hedorah. However, they at least switched things up with the Barem being a literal red tide. But pretty much Daghara is just another take on Hedorah, in a different time context.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I like Dagahra. It's original and a good design. While the kaiju has plenty of power, it, sadly, will never be remembered as a power house or a great evil. Personally, I'd like to see Dagahra in a future film. The kaiju has potential to be big if it had a chance in a better movie.

Has anyone else imagined what a mecha version of this kaiju might be like? I've had that on my mind.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

One of my absolute favorite kaiju. I really wish we could see him in more films or make a come back. To me this is the perfect design of Shinji Nishikawa. I even got a drawing of a chibi Dagahra done by him. That being said I see why a lot of people don't like him much.
Last edited by Godzillian on Fri May 13, 2016 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Axine
Ronin

Post by Axine »

Aside from Godzilla and Mothra Leo, this is probably my favorite monster from the Heisei era. I love Dagahra's design and powers in his movie.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

We definately need Dagahra in another movie.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

edgaguirus wrote:We definately need Dagahra in another movie.
Probably will never happen. Toho shows no love for the ROM kaiju besides rainbow mothra. Was hoping they would show up in the IDW comics but no such luck

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

If not a movie, Dagahra would work well ina video game. With his range of attacks, he'd be perfect.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

edgaguirus wrote:If not a movie, Dagahra would work well ina video game. With his range of attacks, he'd be perfect.
He was featured in the new Toho kaiju mobile game but that's about it

Gothicserpent
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gothicserpent »

Really unique kaiju that needs to be brought back. He's a great archnemesis for Mothra.
"HAY ANGUIRUS"
"WHADDA WANT?"
"SUMPTIN FUNNEH GOIN ON, YOU BETTAH CHECK!"
"OKAY"
GTU wrote:There are so many concept versions of Bagan they could give him his own toyline. That's why I'm banking on a Monsterarts sub-line called SH Baganarts.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

He makes a good foe for any aquatic or amphibious kaiju.

The Baranosdragon
GPN Volunteer

Post by The Baranosdragon »

In spite of the fact that I found Rebirth of Mothra 2... dodgy at best, I do think Dagahra is a very neat and unique Kaiju. His design is interesting, and I especially like his roars. My primary issue with him is how he fared in Rebirth of Mothra 2; it was rather hard to tell whether or not he was truly being hurt during the third act. Either way, I do quite like the monster overall, and certainly wouldn't be against seeing it again one day.
January 1st, 1929 - August 8th, 2017. May Haruo Nakajima Rest in Peace.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

The Baranosdragon wrote:In spite of the fact that I found Rebirth of Mothra 2... dodgy at best, I do think Dagahra is a very neat and unique Kaiju. His design is interesting, and I especially like his roars. My primary issue with him is how he fared in Rebirth of Mothra 2; it was rather hard to tell whether or not he was truly being hurt during the third act. Either way, I do quite like the monster overall, and certainly wouldn't be against seeing it again one day.
Well technically he was in Godzilla Planet Eater, so at least it’s nice knowing he eventually got to make a cameo in an actual Godzilla film.

I do sortve wish though that maybe he was more fish like. I liked how he produced the Barem, but it’s sortve weird that he’s like an aquatic dragon, which we’ve had many (Godzilla, Titanosaurus, Manda) and a slew of sea monsters (Ebirah, Hedorah, and maybe Destroyah and Gaira count).

I agree though that he’s cool.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Manuelito Canelito
G-Grasper

Post by Manuelito Canelito »

He's probably one of the best things in the whole Mothra trilogy.
I specially liked the Barem idea. Could make for a great human subplot alongside the main Kaiju fight
All houses have the same. Roof. Floor. Walls. People yelling at you that they're calling the police because you broke into their house. It's only when you give them love that they truly become Home

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:

I do sortve wish though that maybe he was more fish like. .
Some of the concept art tends to a more aquatic design. However, Dagahra is more a threat being able to navigate water, land, and air. This ability gives him much potential as a city destroyer and danger to man.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

edgaguirus wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:

Some of the concept art tends to a more aquatic design. However, Dagahra is more a threat being able to navigate water, land, and air. This ability gives him much potential as a city destroyer and danger to man.
It`s a work of fiction, making him more fishlike wouldn`t prevent him from being above land. There are plenty of flying fish, and even some that to some capacity can walk or breath air. Im not saying I don`t like Dagahra, just that they could`ve made him stand out more.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
edgaguirus wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:

It`s a work of fiction, making him more fishlike wouldn`t prevent him from being above land. There are plenty of flying fish, and even some that to some capacity can walk or breath air. Im not saying I don`t like Dagahra, just that they could`ve made him stand out more.
Let's not forget Zigra despite being a shark magically grew legs to stand on land :lol: