Monster Discussion #11: Giant Octopus

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
gigan72
Keizer

Monster Discussion #11: Giant Octopus

Post by gigan72 »

Discussion thread for the massive octopus from King Kong vs. Godzilla, an alternate ending for Frankenstein Conquers the World, and War of the Gargantuas.
[quote="KaijuFiend"][quote="Birdman"]Do you like what you see?[/quote]
No, and if I didn't value my eyesight so much, I'd bleach my eyes so I never had to see that shit again.[/quote]

11-22-13/11-23-14/12-27-14

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Re: Monster Discussion #11: Giant Octupus

Post by Space Hunter M »

The Giant Octopus was originally going to fight Godzilla in Godzilla's Revenge in Ebirah's place apparently.

GodzillaFanatic2001
Monarch Researcher

Post by GodzillaFanatic2001 »

It also appeared in an Ultra Q episode "Fury Of The South Seas". Tsuburaya sure likes his octopi!
HayesAJones wrote:
Godzilla 2000 wrote:Its harmless fun, pure and simple.
As opposed to those dangerously fun movies.

20th Century Boy
Futurian

Post by 20th Century Boy »

The most under-appreciated Godzilla monster.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Space Hunter M wrote:The Giant Octopus was originally going to fight Godzilla in Godzilla's Revenge in Ebirah's place apparently.
Do you have a source on that?

Dannybeane
Monsterland Worker

Post by Dannybeane »

You know, I'd watch a Japanese take on the film It Came From Beneath the Sea with the Giant Octopus. (also his name is spelled wrong in the title.)

edgaguirus
Keizer

Re: Monster Discussion #11: Giant Octopus

Post by edgaguirus »

I like the idea of a Japanese take on ICFBTS.

I like the giant octopus, despite its limited screen time. some octopus and squid can be deadly to man without being huge. Maybe that's why Tsubayara seems like a sucker for them.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Dannybeane
Monsterland Worker

Post by Dannybeane »

edgaguirus wrote:I like the idea of a Japanese take on ICFBTS.

I like the giant octopus, despite its limited screen time. some octopus and squid can be deadly to man without being huge. Maybe that's why Tsubayara seems like a sucker for them.
I see what you did there!

GalacticPetey
Gotengo Officer

Post by GalacticPetey »

Is Oodako a fan term or has it appeared somewhere officially before? I see the name thrown around and I'm curious.
I can't believe that Godzilla was the only surviving member of its species, but if we continue conducting nuclear tests, it's possible that another Godzilla might appear somewhere in the world again.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

... I hope it tasted good.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

Dannybeane
Monsterland Worker

Post by Dannybeane »

GalacticPetey wrote:Is Oodako a fan term or has it appeared somewhere officially before? I see the name thrown around and I'm curious.
It just means giant octopus in Japanese so I don't think its any more or less official than "giant octopus"

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I've always liked this guy. The presence of smaller, 'lesser' monsters like this, basically just abnormally large versions of real animals, adds a lot to the Godzillaverse, for me. Makes it feel more... I dunno, not 'realistic', I guess, but something like that. Diverse, at least.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

The Octopus
G-Grasper

Post by The Octopus »

He was also in an episode of Fight Mighty Jack. I uploaded it to youtube but it was taken down by Tsuburaya.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uF1mShqpIgw

Also Tsuburaya used the Oodako's tentacles in a film he did in India called SINDBAD ALIBABA ALADIN.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Really liked the octopus's scene in War of the Gargantuas, pointless though I guess it was. It was cool to see him as a real threat this time, even if it was only to one nobody sailor.

One thing that helps Oodako stand out is the quiet, sinister way he does things. Most kaiju go around stomping, roaring, blowing random shit up, and generally making themselves very visible and obvious. Not Oodako. He'll creep up on you in the dead of night, silently grabbing you out of your boat, or slipping right into your village to raid your juice supplies before you even know he's there. He's a little scarier, in his way, than most of the bigger, more powerful kaiju that overshadow him.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

I read a rather ill-conceived fanfic once that had Godzilla in the near future facing his final battle, and Oodako of all kaiju was the only opponent left. Pretty underwhelming final boss material. I guess the story did play the octopus to his strength though, having him remain hidden deep in the ocean for much of the fic, striking only when Godzilla made himself vulnerable.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

MoarCrossovers
Xilien Halfling

Post by MoarCrossovers »

Ivo-goji wrote:I read a rather ill-conceived fanfic once that had Godzilla in the near future facing his final battle, and Oodako of all kaiju was the only opponent left. Pretty underwhelming final boss material. I guess the story did play the octopus to his strength though, having him remain hidden deep in the ocean for much of the fic, striking only when Godzilla made himself vulnerable.
I hope you still remember where this fanfic is.
Platypus Prime wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:21 pm I realized today that thanks to a few animations and manga she's appeared in, Biollante is an anime girl.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

^On fanfiction.net, way in the back on the last few pages of the Godzilla archive.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Oodako needs more love!
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I'd offer Oodako a hug, but I don't want to get crushed or eatten.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

You know a thought just came to my mind.Can any of you imagine what it would've been like had Frankenstein Vs Baragon had not included Baragon at all and instead had just included Frankenstein fighting this guy all along? I actually think the movie just might have been better to be honest.

If this were the case, how do you think Frankenstein would've ended up killing him?