Monster Discussion #14: Black Moth

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
gigan72
Keizer

Monster Discussion #14: Black Moth

Post by gigan72 »

Resized Image
Discuss the lion type beast Black Moth from Latitude Zero. There was a previous thread, but it is gone.
[quote="KaijuFiend"][quote="Birdman"]Do you like what you see?[/quote]
No, and if I didn't value my eyesight so much, I'd bleach my eyes so I never had to see that shit again.[/quote]

11-22-13/11-23-14/12-27-14

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Re: Monster Discussion #14: Black Moth

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

Seems like a cool monster, would love to watch the movie someday, regardless of its small screentime, I'd just like to watch it move around and do stuff
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

The monster with the inexplicable name.

Seeing a Dr. Malic style villain with patchwork monsters like Black Moth go up against Godzilla would be interesting.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

"MALIC!!!! DAMN YOUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!"

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I haven't seen the movie, but I like the kaiju from what I know of it. A chimera with a human brain is an interesting idea.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

edgaguirus wrote:I haven't seen the movie, but I like the kaiju from what I know of it. A chimera with a human brain is an interesting idea.
Brings me bad FMA flashbacks…
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I'll forever call her Kroiga, Black Moth makes no sense. I know one is technically a translation of the other but Kroiga doesn't sound stupid.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

gigan72
Keizer

Post by gigan72 »

I finally saw the film, and this monster just was kinda... there. It was a cool idea, but overall only existed fora small bit a the end. But the film was fun, such an insane movie. Loved it.
[quote="KaijuFiend"][quote="Birdman"]Do you like what you see?[/quote]
No, and if I didn't value my eyesight so much, I'd bleach my eyes so I never had to see that shit again.[/quote]

11-22-13/11-23-14/12-27-14

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

This is one of two monsters, not counting the Giant Sea Snake, that I always forget exists. Even the likes of Shockris or the Giant Condor are more memorable to me.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

KaijuX
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by KaijuX »

Oh hey! I wrote two matches with her. :D #NotSponsored

TBH, I really dig Black Moth. We don't get that many mammalian kaiju in the Toho-multiverse, and this one has a crazy origin.
Spoiler:
Pity all she did was perch on a rocky cliff until the end of the movie. :lol:
And interesting find I've stumbled across is that Black Moth's Japanese name wouldn't be what you'd expect. From what I've found, it's either グリホン (Gurihon) or グリフォン (Gurifon); the former a variant of Griffon (in the same way Ghidorah (ギドラ [Gidora]) is simply a one-letter change from Hydra (ヒドラ [Hidora]), the latter literally meaning Griffon. I suppose they got the Black Moth name from the human captain, Kroiga. Which to my understanding, roughly translate to "Black Moth" (黒 [kuro] = Black; 蛾 [ga] = Moth).
KWC Co-Operations Manager and Resident Wumbo.
Soggy Noodles wrote:Anno brought back Showa ambition by doing smaller scales, morals and trying to examine humanity.

Seshita brought back Heisei ambition with absurd powerscaling, rad fights and fat asses.

Pair of kings.
MoarCrossovers wrote:We snorted crushed Morbius DVDs and snail shells

Dino-Mario
G-Force Personnel

Post by Dino-Mario »

Have yet to see the film, so i can't really say much about him. Neat design though, and he's very amusing in the TK toons

KaijuX
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by KaijuX »

Actually, speaking of... What would Black Moth's gender be? For those who haven't seen the film, I'll put what I say next in spoiler tags. ;)
Spoiler:
So from what the film provides, Black Moth is a chimera of a lion's body, a vulture's (or condor's) wings and a human brain. On one hand, Black Moth is a creature with a LION'S body. The lion is male, whilst a lioness is female. But much like Biollante (a plant-clone of Godzilla with Erika's soul), Black Moth still retains the memories of Captain Kroiga and has a full conscious.
KWC Co-Operations Manager and Resident Wumbo.
Soggy Noodles wrote:Anno brought back Showa ambition by doing smaller scales, morals and trying to examine humanity.

Seshita brought back Heisei ambition with absurd powerscaling, rad fights and fat asses.

Pair of kings.
MoarCrossovers wrote:We snorted crushed Morbius DVDs and snail shells

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

KaijuX wrote:Actually, speaking of... What would Black Moth's gender be? For those who haven't seen the film, I'll put what I say next in spoiler tags. ;)
Spoiler:
So from what the film provides, Black Moth is a chimera of a lion's body, a vulture's (or condor's) wings and a human brain. On one hand, Black Moth is a creature with a LION'S body. The lion is male, whilst a lioness is female. But much like Biollante (a plant-clone of Godzilla with Erika's soul), Black Moth still retains the memories of Captain Kroiga and has a full conscious.
Clearly Black Moth is an clever analogy for gender identity! Few Toho films deal with such relevant social issues!
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

Black Moth's gender would be female, and her body would be biologically male.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

Kubo
Sazer

Post by Kubo »

Transgender kaiju. How forward-thinking.

I like Black Moth, from what I've seen. I haven't gotten around to Latitude Zero yet, but eventually I will. Black Moth has always been that movie's point of intrigue for me. That, and Cesar Romero's killer mustache.
Giving myself brain damage wishing too hard upon a star.

Twitter: @Dawn_of_the_DED
If you follow me on there, shoot me a DM so I know you're from the forums.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Kubo wrote:I haven't gotten around to Latitude Zero yet, but eventually I will. Black Moth has always been that movie's point of intrigue for me. That, and Cesar Romero's killer mustache.
Just a warning... Watching Latitude Zero for Black Moth is like watching Gorath for Maguma, or Atragon for Manda. The monster doesn't get a lot of screen time.

The imaginative sci fi technologies and matte work makes up for that, though.

soulgodzilla
Futurian

Post by soulgodzilla »

I'm starting to like Black Moth when I saw Latitude Zero. And while her design is simply just a griffon and she barely had any screen time, the idea of her being made by Koriga, a lion and a condor by Dr. Malik is weird and kinda made me feel bad for Koriga. Being betrayed, killed and turned into a monster. It made me wished that it succeeded on killing Malick. And while it did killed that bastard, it's a shame that it was crushed by a avalanche of boulders. :(

Added in 4 minutes 7 seconds:
KaijuX wrote:Oh hey! I wrote two matches with her. :D #NotSponsored

TBH, I really dig Black Moth. We don't get that many mammalian kaiju in the Toho-multiverse, and this one has a crazy origin.
Spoiler:
Pity all she did was perch on a rocky cliff until the end of the movie. :lol:
And interesting find I've stumbled across is that Black Moth's Japanese name wouldn't be what you'd expect. From what I've found, it's either グリホン (Gurihon) or グリフォン (Gurifon); the former a variant of Griffon (in the same way Ghidorah (ギドラ [Gidora]) is simply a one-letter change from Hydra (ヒドラ [Hidora]), the latter literally meaning Griffon. I suppose they got the Black Moth name from the human captain, Kroiga. Which to my understanding, roughly translate to "Black Moth" (黒 [kuro] = Black; 蛾 [ga] = Moth).
i know man, Toho really needs to make more mammalian Kaijus and give the idea of reptiles, dinosaurs, dragons, insects and alien Kaijus a rest. Because that's all they make. We only have Black Moth and Maguma the only mammilian Kaijus made by Toho. And I don't count King Caesar as a Mammalian since he's more of a Golem

Also, I did read the match of Black Moth Vs. Maguma, and I must say you did an amazing job on that match. ;)
Up from the depths
Thirty stories high
Breathing fire
His head in the sky
Godzilla!
Godzilla!
Godzilla!
And Godzookie....

“Yeah, I’m done...” - Raptorcyclone after being introduced to the Godzilla Power Hour intro.

Gothicserpent
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gothicserpent »

Like, how much screentime does she actually get?
"HAY ANGUIRUS"
"WHADDA WANT?"
"SUMPTIN FUNNEH GOIN ON, YOU BETTAH CHECK!"
"OKAY"
GTU wrote:There are so many concept versions of Bagan they could give him his own toyline. That's why I'm banking on a Monsterarts sub-line called SH Baganarts.

Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Post by Arbok »

Gothicserpent wrote:Like, how much screentime does she actually get?
Well... you see the origin, i.e. on the operating table being created. If that counts, it adds a considerable chunk to the screentime.

If you mean after that part: I think you could describe her role to walking past Malik, roaring, flying up to a mountain... ignoring instructions and then flying down at the climax to attack the Black Shark sub. That's it. It's more screentime than Manda got in Atragon, but not nearly as memorable.

As for those talking about the name, we documented it here:

https://www.tohokingdom.com/articles/art_names.htm

In this case we actually asked Toho International and were given "Black Moth" as the preferred English name.
If it bites... don't mess with it!

Gothicserpent
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gothicserpent »

Arbok wrote:
Gothicserpent wrote:Like, how much screentime does she actually get?
Well... you see the origin, i.e. on the operating table being created. If that counts, it adds a considerable chunk to the screentime.

If you mean after that part: I think you could describe her role to walking past Malik, roaring, flying up to a mountain... ignoring instructions and then flying down at the climax to attack the Black Shark sub. That's it. It's more screentime than Manda got in Atragon, but not nearly as memorable.

As for those talking about the name, we documented it here:

https://www.tohokingdom.com/articles/art_names.htm

In this case we actually asked Toho International and were given "Black Moth" as the preferred English name.
Seems like a waste of a kaiju suit.
"HAY ANGUIRUS"
"WHADDA WANT?"
"SUMPTIN FUNNEH GOIN ON, YOU BETTAH CHECK!"
"OKAY"
GTU wrote:There are so many concept versions of Bagan they could give him his own toyline. That's why I'm banking on a Monsterarts sub-line called SH Baganarts.