Monster Toy Spotlight #12 - SpaceGodzilla

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
SpaceG92
Keizer

Monster Toy Spotlight #12 - SpaceGodzilla

Post by SpaceG92 »

Who else but good ol' crystal back himself! Love him or hate him, he's here regardless and his thunder thighs ain't move'in anytime soon!

Kicking it off with a figure that holds a very special place in my heart and if you were growing up in the 90's, a very big part of your introduction to Godzilla baddies!
Resized Image
TRENDMASTERS SPACEGODZILLA 4" Scale

I grew up on this baby ever since I was 3, and still have it. Like Gigan05, my name heralds from SpaceGodzilla and Trendmasters was my first expose to the character for many years. While not the most accurate figure of him, it's hits the nail pretty hard on the head. The sculpt is fantastic and the bright stylized colors really pull you in. A huge knock out in my book. The larger scale only served to increase the detail and overall beauty of this guy.
Previous Monster Toy Spotlights
#01: King Ghidorah (Showa) - expandkong
#02: Gorosaurus - ebirahsmeg1
#03: Godzilla 2000 (Miregoji) - KlenSeven
#04: Baragon (Showa) - Jomei
#05: Gigan (Showa) - ebirahsmeg1
#06: GMK Godzilla - TeddyBaragon
#07: Hedorah (Showa) - g2vd
#08: MechaGodzilla 74-75 - KaijuZoo
#09: Barugon - Creature22
#10: Megalon - AWMGodzilla62
#11: Gigan (Final Wars) - GIGAN05

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Re: Monster Toy Spotlight #12 - SpaceGodzilla

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

Here is are some of my SG figures:

Bandai 8 inch Space Godzilla:
This figure gets ripped alot, and I don't understand why. It's certainly not perfect by any means, but it's very impressive size-wise (far more than alot of 8 inch Bandai figures...the tail is a beast). On the down side, I've found that the paint on the tips of his shoulder crystals chips/fades away *far* more than almost any other figure I've had. Strangely, Bandai also released a rather out of scale, small-ish 8 inch Mogera, and these two didn't complement each other as well as they should have like their film counterparts, so I'm hoping Xplus will do a proper 8inch/25cm Mogera figure down the road...

SH Monster Arts Space Godzilla:

Two extremely shitty photos of what I feel is the best figure of this line that nothing since it has managed to match/suprass, so I hope someone will hopefully post far better photos of it than mine (it's packed away in my closet at the moment...Japanese apartments are way too small to display all of them).

GIANT CONDOR!!!!!!!! :shock:

"Someone kick me, kick me hard! We're stupid." - Corn on the cob eatin' Hippie (Godzilla vs Gigan)

Creature22
EDF Instructor

Post by Creature22 »

I love Spacegodzilla! His design screams "90s."

I have the giant Trendmasters version, but not a photo of it. So here is a rubber bootleg of him instead. To this day, I haven't seen another one like it:
Resized Image

I'll have to find my brother's bendable Spacegodzilla. It could likely be the oldest Godzilla item we own...
It looks a lot like the one above, but ours is so completely mangled that you wouldn't believe it. He looks more like Spacegodzilla towards the end of the movie... yet, we still have it... proof that those things are basically indestructible. :lol:

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

Xplus 30cm SpaceGodzilla figure online review from Fresh Vinyl:

"Someone kick me, kick me hard! We're stupid." - Corn on the cob eatin' Hippie (Godzilla vs Gigan)

Manticore
Gotengo Officer

Post by Manticore »

Like SpaceG92, I have a soft spot in my heart for SpaceGodzilla. My parents got me the Trendmasters one when I was a kid, and I loved the hell out of it. Nowadays it's missing a couple of toes and the red button in its chest, but other than that, he survived my childhood and the many yard sales my mother did through the years (other figures weren't so fortunate).

Here it is with the SHMA SpaceGodzilla. I like them both. :huge:

Mr. Xeno wrote:
Manticore wrote: Also, I pretty much agree with the poll results. Sorry, I'm not that much of a fan of the campy, absurd Showa era.
Then you're not a TRRRRrrrRrrUUUUuuUUuuUUuueEEeeEEeeEeeE FFFFFFFAAAAAAaAaAaAaaaaAAaanNnnnnnNNnnNnnNnnNnNN!

Castellan Zilla
Keizer

Post by Castellan Zilla »

In space, no one can hear you scream.
I will explain slowly why you are wrong.

KaijuZoo
GPN Volunteer

Post by KaijuZoo »

This was a fun commission, Bandai Creations SpaceGodzilla with an homage to the classic Trendmasters paint scheme.

Project details here: http://www.kaijuzoo.com/kzspaceg.html

Jonee
KaijuZoo Toys - Where the Monsters Live
http://www.kaijuzoo.com
KaijuZoo Gallery Slideshow
KaijuZoo Moving Sale
Kaijuzoo eBay Auctions
G-Fan "Dealer of the Month" - Summer 2005

KlenSeven
Interpol Agent

Post by KlenSeven »

^ I dig that concept

Resized Image

Resized Image

Resized Image

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Sadly don't own any SpaceGodzilla figures, but I always loved the look of the original Bandai 8" figure.

Resized Image
KaijuZoo wrote:This was a fun commission, Bandai Creations SpaceGodzilla with an homage to the classic Trendmasters paint scheme.

Project details here: http://www.kaijuzoo.com/kzspaceg.html

http://www.kaijuzoo.com/images/kzspaceg/rf.jpg
Beautiful custom!

KlenSeven
Interpol Agent

Post by KlenSeven »

Bandai Ultimate Monsters
Resized Image

Most of those scales need to be manually inserted when its assembled
Resized Image

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

For size/scale reference, here is the large Trendmasters 9 inch Space Godzilla as well as the Bandai 8 inch Space Godzilla, with the Bandai 8 inch Grand KG in the middle.

SUPERTOHOREMIX
Futurian

Post by SUPERTOHOREMIX »

Here is a old (And NOT gold) photo of mine with the SHMA Spacegodzilla. Back when I used the bed and a standard camera. Ugh ...

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

Wow, this week has flown by. Time to nominate someone for Monster Toy Spotlight #13. SpaceG92, do you have anyone in mind? Some possible candidates who have made contributions to past spotlights are Castellan Zilla, Kaiju no Mura, Mr. X, Leunames, Heartless. ArchdukeSquidlyIII, RandomDeinonychus, Manticore, UltramanGoji, Starsteam, Captain Aktion, UltramanGoji, SJM925, Kaijunator, Tyrant_Lizard_King . Or if SpaceG92 has someone different in mind he would like to nominate for Spotlight #13, then cool.

Or someone who has already done a thread can jump in again as well if no one new steps up (expandkong, KlenSeven, TeddyBaragon, g2vd, GIGAN05, AWMGodzilla62, KaijuZoo, Creature22) and take the next one. Or even someone completely new who has only been lurking can take the next one. Whoever replies/volunteers first by this Sunday gets it! :spacegodzilla:

In the meantime, here are some online figure reviews:

Trendmasters 9-10 inch Space Godzilla w/ sound. I have no shame in admitting that this is probably my favorite SG figure, and I'm perfectly content with it (along w/ the Bandai 8 inch SG figure as well) acting as my SpaceG representative in my rag-tag collection (it also scales nicely with 25cm Xplus/Marmit MH/Gigabrain/Marusan/ Bandai 8 inch figures).

Leslie Chambers' review of the Xplus 30cm Space Godzilla figure:

GodzillaXGomoraFight
Gotengo Officer

Post by GodzillaXGomoraFight »

Spacegodzilla has a very special place in my collection. I started collecting Godzilla figures in 2003 at the age of eight, I bought the Movie Monsters Series Bandai Spacegodzilla as my very first figure. At the time, my love for the franchise had just begun: I got the Anchor Bay VHS collection from my uncle; Destroy all Monsters Melee came out for Gamecube; I got the Classic Media box set; and I spent a lot of time surfing through the monster bios of Toho Kingdom and The Official Godzilla Compendium (by J.D. Lees and Marc Cerasini). After seeing Spacegodzilla in his respective film, I immediately fell in love with him. I had my dad buy the figure from Toys N Joys (not sure if it is around anymore, but it was based in Hawaii) and I adored it. I'd make my own make-believe film series with my figures starring my favorite kaiju (I called him Spacegodzilla 2 as I wanted him to have a new origin and be a hero). When I was a child, I probably liked Spacegodzilla and King Ghidorah far more than Godzilla himself! Spacegodzilla launched my collection and I have bought many figures (mostly Bandai 6-inch) since to fill up the two lone shelves in my room.

About four years ago, I was getting tired of collecting. I had spent a lot of money in high school filling my shelves with rare Bandais like Biollante and articulated figures such as Revoltech Rodan. I was also reaching the age that I began to shy away from playing with my figures and I was losing the drive to play out one of my "movies" for several hours. I was looking to cap off my collection with the proper sendoff. At the time, SH Monsterarts was new and its version of Spacegodzilla was about to come out. I caved into buying the figure because of how awesome it looked. This figure could not be more different than my first figure: it was not scuffed from years of play; Monsterarts was far more fragile than my sturdy vinyl; and the sculpts were very different in accuracy. Looking at the figures together, I could visualize the progression of my collection throughout my childhood. I went from buying only Bandai to Revoltech to Ultraman and then ultimately concluding at SH Monsterarts. Since I was a child, I dreamed of having movie accurate figures that were more dynamic than vinyl figures. The SH Monsterarts Spacegodzilla was certainly a worthy figure to end my collecting.

I actually started collecting again in 2014 when BC created King Caesar and NECA released G84. I have gotten a few more figures since, but now I am confronted with an issue of lack of space. I could potentially hang up another shelf, but I am afraid of getting excessive with buying to fill space and how people may react to me collecting at full-scale. I am allowing myself to buy one more figure (a larger figure), but I am going to wait for the right time to buy what I really want rather than impulse buy. As I debate this, I have both Spacegodzillas up on my shelf a few figures apart, awaiting my next move. Do I embrace collecting again like I once did when I got my first figure or do I say goodbye to my hobby once again in the spirit of my "final" figure? It's quite the dilemma.

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

Not surprisingly, no one has posted what I consider to be one the worst Marmit Monster Heaven figures, the MH SpaceGodzilla:

I don't think I've ever come across anyone who owns this atrocity. X_X What's weird is that this figure came out in 2004 when Marmit was producing some of their best stuff, which makes this figure even more of a head-scatcher :? ....a Marmit Monster Heaven figure *should* have been jaw-dropping, not vomit-inducing....feel free to agree/disagree.

KlenSeven
Interpol Agent

Post by KlenSeven »

It seems more at home in the VP line with those legs.
So...
Resized Image

Castellan Zilla
Keizer

I kinda like it. It has that kill me face that I just love.

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

KlenSeven wrote: So...
http://imgur.com/oF0vsVd.jpg
Well, so far there haven't been any takers in regards to Spotlight #13, so if you or Castellan Zilla would like to take #13, then go for it! :g64:

Castellan Zilla
Keizer

I'll take a stab at it.

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

And the winner is Castellan Zilla :godzilla: Looking forward to it :g2k:

For your reference, here is the master list of all the spotlights and kaiju covered so far:

http://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewto ... 11&t=24335