Monster Discussion #22: Kumonga (Showa)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Re: Monster Discussion #22: Kumonga (Showa)

Post by Giga Kaiju »

Hehe...

Fair enough. I guess, that's a factor that maybe some people can't stand to watch Son of Godzilla. And if they do, they'll regret it as soon as they see Kumonga.
UNSTOPPABLE FURY. UNTHINKABLE POWER. UNBREAKABLE WILL.
tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to bitch about, then tangent onto something unrelated and bitch about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can bitch some more. It's the circle of life.

Israha
Monarch Researcher

Post by Israha »

For me, Kumonga is one of the greatest Showa kaiju of them all. Being just another overgrown spider, he's not an overly original creation, but damn, he just looks so much realistic and terrifying. And secondly, while he hasn't got any more special powers than being a giant version of his species, he's portrayed as a dangerous foe even for Godzilla himself.

Personally, I think it's Kumonga, who single-handedly makes Son of Godzilla a worth-watching movie, despite it being aimed at very young audience. Those practical effects of him are just astonishing.

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

Kumonga's prop and way of how it was handled to perform was amazing for its time. Up there with Biollante in the Heisei series.
tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to bitch about, then tangent onto something unrelated and bitch about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can bitch some more. It's the circle of life.

Rodan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Rodan »

They really outdid themselves on the Kumonga prop. It's incredible how well it moves, and it's grotesque enough that it actually triggers my arachnophobia in some scenes. I don't think I could bring myself to touch it in real life.

Yeah, one of the best of the Showa era.

Film-wise, it makes a great villain too. I have a lot of love for Son of Godzilla in general, and the effectiveness of Kumonga is definitely part of it.

Kaiser
G-Force Personnel

Post by Kaiser »

Kumonga is pretty awesome, Arikawa really outdid himself with Son of Godzilla. If it wasn't for how horrendous the Godzilla suit and Minya look, Son would probably be more widely considered as having some of the best special effects of the Showa era up there with Invasion of Astro-Monster and Mothra vs. Godzilla.

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

Aside from the awful looking suits of Godzilla and Son, this would not be shunned as the rest of the Showa films. As this one could be regarded as better to some folks.

Stevo_1985
JXSDF Technician

Post by Stevo_1985 »

Blehhk. I hate spiders. HATE them. Snakes, pffft, dont bother me one bit I catch them in the yard from time to time. Spiders, forget it. Therefore, I hate Kumonga. So in a way, that must be a testament to how well they did with it.

Sorry Kiryu
#Notmymechagodzilla

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

Hehe, well, that shows. When it comes to spiders, Kumonga NAILED the role if many members in the thread have said their displeasure towards the oversized arachnid.

Benn_Sonic_exe
Monsterland Worker

Post by Benn_Sonic_exe »

Haven't actually seen Son of Godzilla yet, but Kumonga looks creepy enough in pictures. I won't be seeing that movie anytime soon. :freak:
AKA Jamie.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I reccomend you do see it. It's a good one.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

Don't miss on watching it, Benn. It is truly a worth-watching movie overall.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

I like when the Kumonga attacked and poisoned the defenseless Kamacuras in SOG.
Slightly Off Topic buuuuuut It's weird that no Monster Discussion Thread for Kamacuras exists :/
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

DinoMaster
G-Force Personnel

Post by DinoMaster »

While this may be a bit of a necro, I've just recently viewed Son of Godzilla for the first time, and in such seen the true might of Kumonga. And holy hell was I more impressed than I thought I would be going into it. Kumonga is one of the few that I've seen that actually goes after people, and it was a really well done adversary for Godzilla. Definitely one of my new favorite kaiju out there, and a real show stealer.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Kumonga did nothing wrong

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

It seems memorable enough for audiences that it got a role in DAM. And as a part of the end battle, even if it was a limited role.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

Kumonga is a little underappreciated among Godzilla kaiju since it debuted in an unpopular Showa film and hasn't had a strong presence in things like the video games or comics. But it's an expertly realized kaiju that works well in it's original appearance and is one of the few older G foes who is legitimately frightening. Kumonga is great in my book.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Post by LamangoKaijura »

I'm still wondering where the fuck the second Kumonga came from in DAM when the first one is clearly burnt to ashes in SoG.
Imagine getting angry your out of date and obsolete stats for rubber suit monsters were 'stolen'.

GalacticPetey
Gotengo Officer

Post by GalacticPetey »

Same place the second Anguirus and second Baragon came from. A farm where they raise kaiju.
I can't believe that Godzilla was the only surviving member of its species, but if we continue conducting nuclear tests, it's possible that another Godzilla might appear somewhere in the world again.

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

LamangoKaijura wrote:I'm still wondering where the fuck the second Kumonga came from in DAM when the first one is clearly burnt to ashes in SoG.
Same Kumonga.
Godzillian wrote:So according to that book I have the following kaiju are the second of their kind to appear in the Showa Universe on Monster Land. Varan, Godzilla, Baragon, Anguirus, Gorosaurus, and Manda. Mothra and Rodan are considered the 3rd of their kind.
Godzilla

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

60's Godzilla's OTHER equal. The first being Rodan.