Godzilla: Save the Earth discussion

For the discussion of Toho video games and video games of Toho related characters only.
kiryuzilla
Terminated
Terminated

Re: Godzilla: Save the Earth discussion

Post by kiryuzilla »

This forum is dead
Known as KingKong19100
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMxokP ... G3cPzAWKlQ
Website: http://kingkong19100.wordpress.com/2014 ... -complete/
Checkout my YouTube channel, I make 3D animations of King Kong and Godzilla that everyone would enjoy! Okay...I'm gonna go now *pushes a pull-only door* HahaGod do I wish someone loved mehaha

G1985
Gotengo Officer

Post by G1985 »

kiryuzilla wrote:This forum is dead
What did you expect, given that the last Pipeworks Godzilla game is more than eight years old and every nook and cranny of it's gameplay, development and code has been explored ad infinitum ad nauseum by now?

kiryuzilla
Terminated
Terminated

Post by kiryuzilla »

G1985 wrote:
What did you expect, given that the last Pipeworks Godzilla game is more than eight years old and every nook and cranny of it's gameplay, development and code has been explored ad infinitum ad nauseum by now?
So...How about my other post about the intro?
Known as KingKong19100
Checkout my YouTube channel, I make 3D animations of King Kong and Godzilla that everyone would enjoy! Okay...I'm gonna go now *pushes a pull-only door* HahaGod do I wish someone loved mehaha

CheetoKamper
G-Force Personnel

Post by CheetoKamper »

kiryuzilla wrote:
G1985 wrote:
So...How about my other post about the intro?
If anybody knew I'm pretty sure they would've said something by now.
He musta thought it was a gun!
I liked Giant Condor and Gabara before it was cool to just sayin.
Shadow arena record (5-3)

kiryuzilla
Terminated
Terminated

Post by kiryuzilla »

It's a shame, that intro sounds AMAZING!!!
Known as KingKong19100

The Godzilla King
Interpol Agent

Post by The Godzilla King »

kiryuzilla wrote:
It's a shame, that intro sounds AMAZING!!!
Pretty sure that song doesn't exist on the internet. It more than likely was made for the intro of the game so it was never officially released.

Showa Gojira
Monarch Researcher

Post by Showa Gojira »

*WARNING! INCOMING WALL OF TEXT!*

Ah Godzilla: Save the Earth, quite possibly my favorite Godzilla game, and one of my favorite games ever. It's far from perfect but damn if it isn't a fun game. I played this game like crazy for years when it first came out (hell, I even played it before it came out) and I still play it every now and then.

The first game in the pipeworks trilogy was like a dream come true and I was eagerly anticipating a sequel to that wonderful monster mash of a game! G:STE was the first game I followed extensively before it came out and I still remember playing it for the first time, before it was released! Back in 2004 (My god that feels so long ago) my little brother and I went to the Godzilla 50th anniversary that was being held in Portland Oregon. We saw several Godzilla movies on the big screen which was awesome, bought some cool Godzilla toys, and participated in the Godzilla: Save the Earth tournament! We played it on the big screen which made it even more awesome and before the tournament began we got to play a few practice matches.

My little brother played in the first match against an older fan in his 20's or early 30's. He was using Megaguirus and his opponent was using Kiryu (which is odd considering both Mechagodzillas are his favorite characters now). Despite Kiryu's superior firepower, advantage against edged attacks, and his rival's older age he took the win after a tough battle. I fought in the final match of the first round. My enemy was supposed to be the person who was hosting the whole shindig but he had other duties so he passed it on to a kid who was supposed to be really good. He was about the same age as my little brother and before the tournament began we heard people hyping him up saying he was a real beast at the game. I of course picked Godzilla 90's and my younger rival picked Baragon.

It turned out the Baragon player was what one might call a "spammer". He really liked using Baragon's pouncing grab to the point where it was almost the only thing he did. Being a seasoned veteran of the previous game, who had beaten Adventure Mode on the highest difficulty numerous times, I trounced him. Moving onto the next round my bro faced off against the same kid I just beat, only this time he picked another subterranean terror, Megalon. Megaguirus vs Megalon! Using his superior speed and fighting tactics Corwin evaded the continuous grab attempts and won his second match. Next up I had to fight the grab kid's older brother, who looked to be in his mid 20's, who picked Godzilla 2000 to fight me.

Godzilla vs Godzilla! Older brother vs Older brother! This guy proved to be a lot better at the game than his younger sibling and he made good use of his tail attacks. After figuring out his rhythm I outfought him in an intense battle and proved there can be only one King of the Monsters. The next battle was the final battle, a battle against my little brother! Thankfully this was before he got almost as good (perhaps as good) as me at video games and he was using a character he had little experience with compared to me as Godzilla 90's. Despite this he put up a valiant effort and even got me with a rage attack! I still remember freaking out a trying to evade his Meganula swarm before it caught me! The finishing blow was an Atomic breath and with that I won the tournament!

My brother and I got a number of prizes for winning first and second place including posters of the event (one of which still hangs in our room), and multiple Godzilla DVD's that we didn't own at the time. We were both happy with our victory but saddened by the fact that we didn't win a PS2 and the game! The whole thing was a ton of fun and a great first experience with the game, playing a new Godzilla video game, cheering on my brother and later fighting him, our Mom rooting for us and talking about us like she was our fight manager, it was all so awesome.

That about sums up my first experience with the game, I would post more about what I think about, but I'll save that for the next wall of text.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:40 pm
Best kaiju game ever. Like, seriously, awesome to play and full of cool little nods to the films that make it up. Ten out of ten. Worth waiting for.

"GODZILLA - ULTRAMAN - GAMERA: ALL MONSTERS ATTACK!"
http://kaijubeatemup.blogspot.com/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6vZKr ... XgWG0hADNA
The Thread: http://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewto ... =19&t=5609

master_of_monsters
EDF Instructor

Post by master_of_monsters »

is there a way to retrieve biollante's files
your source of self destruction

The Godzilla King
Interpol Agent

Post by The Godzilla King »

master_of_monsters wrote:is there a way to retrieve biollante's files
Depends, are you asking how to make her playable or how to obtain her .zip files? The actual character files are useless but if you want to add her into the game, you need to create an iso using your game's disc (look it up if you don't know how), download a hex editor, and replace all references to "mghidorah" with "biollante". Afterwards, just rebuild your iso and play it on emulator.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Looking at that intro now, it's funny how the Pipeworks games did the whole breathing in, puffing out cheat thing before Legendary Godzilla.

SomeknowmeasXeno
Terminated
Terminated

Post by SomeknowmeasXeno »

StE was my favourite for the multiplayer and maps. PS2 Unleashed is just my favourite for everything else. A lot of people criticise the game for being 'the same' as StE, I feel that's rather ignorant. Firstly: The Vortaak Trilogy had a damn good fighting system, it wasn't deep but it also wasn't shallow. It was fun. That's why I don't like Wii Unleashed, they tried to fix something that wasn't broken: they swapped out a fun, established, system for a new one that although not drastically different, I personally think has more issues than what it was trying to replace. I like having a consistent system that is gradually improved throughout a series. Secondly: although not bad, I think we can all agree that DaMM and StE (StE regrettably more so than DaMM) have rather lacking single player action. Whereas Unleashed has a superb single player mode, I think the action rpg/fighting game route they took with Unleashed was a perfect idea. Granted, it's story wasn't the deepest: but it was still pretty good for what it was, and the gameplay was already solid. Remember that, an ok story in a fighting game before MK9: in a Godzilla game no less. Thirdly, I still say Unleashed has the best roster overall on PS2 and Wii. Yes, Wii has more (personally the lack of Biollante (who exists in StE's coding no less!) Krystallak (1 of the 2 unique monsters created for Unleashed) and MechaGodzilla in the PS2 version are the biggest offenders, Final Gigan I'm okay with being a Wii exclusive despite the fact his design is superb as we got Showa Gigan anyway and Battra is just a better Mothra (not much you could do to differentiate the two in my opinion). I won't defend 'Orga' Obsidius though. Plus we got Godzilla 90s in campaign YAY!) characters but the PS2 roster isn't bad on its own merits by any means. Plus Unleashed has a bitchin' soundtrack.
"Tonight, when the blood moon finishes rising, I will summon my brother Yuul'syqpoth into this sphere of existence, and that's absolutely fantastic."

Zentenk
Monarch Researcher

Post by Zentenk »

If you can, join this Facebook group... we have STE fight nights sometimes on Xlink Kai: http://www.teamxlink.co.uk/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/138803779463911/

Showa Gojira
Monarch Researcher

Post by Showa Gojira »

Something I've always been curious about, why wasn't there ever a last monster standing mode in this or the game preceding it? When playing with two players you can set it to be a battle to the death, but add any more monsters, and points are always the deciding factor. I always disliked this and it's a big part of why my friends and don't play it as often as say Super Smash Bros. (it would be like being forced to play time mode). I feel like it would have been the easiest mode to add and it would've made multiplayer a lot more fun. As much as I love this game and Godzilla destroy all monsters melee, being forced to play with the point system in 3-4 player matches hurt the game's replayability.
Best kaiju game ever. Like, seriously, awesome to play and full of cool little nods to the films that make it up. Ten out of ten. Worth waiting for.

CheetoKamper
G-Force Personnel

Post by CheetoKamper »

Showa Gojira wrote:Something I've always been curious about, why wasn't there ever a last monster standing mode in this or the game preceding it? When playing with two players you can set it to be a battle to the death, but add any more monsters, and points are always the deciding factor. I always disliked this and it's a big part of why my friends and don't play it as often as say Super Smash Bros. (it would be like being forced to play time mode). I feel like it would have been the easiest mode to add and it would've made multiplayer a lot more fun. As much as I love this game and Godzilla destroy all monsters melee, being forced to play with the point system in 3-4 player matches hurt the game's replayability.
Well probably one of the biggest complaints about the new Godzilla game was that people would get teamed up on and killed quickly and then they're forced to sit and watch everyone else play while you sit there doing nothing, that's not exactly a fun way to play so instead they made it a point system to avoid something like that, personally I don't see an issue with it for online it wasn't exactly the most advanced game and likely there wasn't enough budget/time to add something like that for STE.

Showa Gojira
Monarch Researcher

Post by Showa Gojira »

CheetoKamper wrote:Well probably one of the biggest complaints about the new Godzilla game was that people would get teamed up on and killed quickly and then they're forced to sit and watch everyone else play while you sit there doing nothing, that's not exactly a fun way to play so instead they made it a point system to avoid something like that, personally I don't see an issue with it for online it wasn't exactly the most advanced game and likely there wasn't enough budget/time to add something like that for STE.
As somebody who gets teamed up on in a LOT of games, I would much prefer being able to end my enemies than them constantly respawning and abusing the point system in cowardly ways. Like running away from a fight to get killed by another enemy, denying you points. Or stealing a hard earned kill. At the very least 4 player elimination should have been an option because it seems like a no-brainer.

CheetoKamper
G-Force Personnel

Post by CheetoKamper »

Showa Gojira wrote:
CheetoKamper wrote:Well probably one of the biggest complaints about the new Godzilla game was that people would get teamed up on and killed quickly and then they're forced to sit and watch everyone else play while you sit there doing nothing, that's not exactly a fun way to play so instead they made it a point system to avoid something like that, personally I don't see an issue with it for online it wasn't exactly the most advanced game and likely there wasn't enough budget/time to add something like that for STE.
As somebody who gets teamed up on in a LOT of games, I would much prefer being able to end my enemies than them constantly respawning and abusing the point system in cowardly ways. Like running away from a fight to get killed by another enemy, denying you points. Or stealing a hard earned kill. At the very least 4 player elimination should have been an option because it seems like a no-brainer.
You can fight out of it in a point system too. And people run away WITH elimination anyway it's not like that stops it. You're acting like the point system completely changes the way people play but it doesn't. If anything the point system kept people from running away, you get more points actually being in the fight than trying to pick people off with beam attacks. You got points for knockdowns which if someone blocks even a fully charged beam it won't get the knock down points. Yeah once in awhile they'd get 500 points but those knock downs and 50 points for a combo add up. Like I said people will and do play that way in elimination, and when they pick you off to hell you're dead rather than re spawning behind them or something and you can actually get a few hits on them. Most of the things you said happen with the points system happens just as much without it.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

I've never really had a problem with the points system... It's very fun, especially in four-player scenarios. However, it can be easy to cheese if you're going after the ones closest to being KO'd. Still, I don't mind at all "stock" matches like in GU where once a monster is down, it's down for good. Can be pretty nice to kick back and watch other people knock one another around.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

Showa Gojira
Monarch Researcher

Post by Showa Gojira »

CheetoKamper wrote: You can fight out of it in a point system too. And people run away WITH elimination anyway it's not like that stops it. You're acting like the point system completely changes the way people play but it doesn't. If anything the point system kept people from running away, you get more points actually being in the fight than trying to pick people off with beam attacks. You got points for knockdowns which if someone blocks even a fully charged beam it won't get the knock down points. Yeah once in awhile they'd get 500 points but those knock downs and 50 points for a combo add up. Like I said people will and do play that way in elimination, and when they pick you off to hell you're dead rather than re spawning behind them or something and you can actually get a few hits on them. Most of the things you said happen with the points system happens just as much without it.
True, but in an elimination match they can only run away until they are killed or until they manage to kill their rivals. In a point match they can run away and get killed by somebody who has less points than the person they're fighting, and then jump back into the fray with full health. I would rather lose in a fight to the finish instead of losing by a few points because people were on the defensive or running away before the time ran out. It's the same reason I never play time mode on any Super Smash Bros games. To each their own though, I'm not trying to say the point system is all bad, merely wondering why an easy to add alternative wasn't added until the third game in the franchise.

CheetoKamper
G-Force Personnel

Post by CheetoKamper »

Showa Gojira wrote:
CheetoKamper wrote: You can fight out of it in a point system too. And people run away WITH elimination anyway it's not like that stops it. You're acting like the point system completely changes the way people play but it doesn't. If anything the point system kept people from running away, you get more points actually being in the fight than trying to pick people off with beam attacks. You got points for knockdowns which if someone blocks even a fully charged beam it won't get the knock down points. Yeah once in awhile they'd get 500 points but those knock downs and 50 points for a combo add up. Like I said people will and do play that way in elimination, and when they pick you off to hell you're dead rather than re spawning behind them or something and you can actually get a few hits on them. Most of the things you said happen with the points system happens just as much without it.
True, but in an elimination match they can only run away until they are killed or until they manage to kill their rivals. In a point match they can run away and get killed by somebody who has less points than the person they're fighting, and then jump back into the fray with full health. I would rather lose in a fight to the finish instead of losing by a few points because people were on the defensive or running away before the time ran out. It's the same reason I never play time mode on any Super Smash Bros games. To each their own though, I'm not trying to say the point system is all bad, merely wondering why an easy to add alternative wasn't added until the third game in the franchise.
I've always enjoyed that aspect though, someone's distracted by someone else running rather than hoping to somehow get the kill first I always just go for the person so focused on the kill, to me it's more frantic and makes it enjoyable but yeah I also enjoy the fight till death aspect.

My guess would have to be at least for Save the Earth they were just trying to make online play less complicated, I mean the entire online aspect was extremely simplified to the point where I don't think you could change how long a melee or destruction match would last. Honestly I could've done without an online destruction mode if there's four people the map becomes very small because you can only go so far away from eachother.

M.o.g.u.e.r.a14
EDF Instructor

Post by M.o.g.u.e.r.a14 »

Godzilla Unleashed, Imma' let you finish but STE has minigames and more clearer graphics (IMO).
Fan of Godzilla, Pacific Rim, Sailor Moon, and Transformers.
Dezerb wrote: buenos ding dong didily dias senor.
http://i.imgur.com/PpE0DEQ.gif

Moguera14 X Sailor Moon