Monster Discussion #70: Gigan 2004

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
gigan72
Keizer

Monster Discussion #70: Gigan 2004

Post by gigan72 »

Discuss the second incarnation of Gigan from Godzilla: Final Wars and both his regular and upgraded forms.
[quote="KaijuFiend"][quote="Birdman"]Do you like what you see?[/quote]
No, and if I didn't value my eyesight so much, I'd bleach my eyes so I never had to see that shit again.[/quote]

11-22-13/11-23-14/12-27-14

Futurian

Re: Monster Discussion #70: Gigan 2004

Post by 3000 »

Favorite incarnation of Gigan right here. For all of GFW's faults, one notable strength of the film in my opinion was the update to alot of the kaiju designs. This Gigan update is a stand out for sure, the design is so dope. Too bad this incarnation is weak as fuck :b
Member of TK Since 2006

Dannybeane
Monsterland Worker

Post by Dannybeane »

GFW Gigan was a pretty awesome update. I just wish his battle with Mothra was a little more involved. I still think I prefer Showa Gigan but only marginally. Chainsaw hands though are always awesome and his cluster beam was also pretty different from the standard beam rays.

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

While some people thing that Gigan's look might be 'edgy', I don't think that's necessarly true. It gives new life to his appearance for a new generation while retaining traits from his old-memorable look a bit.

One of the best in FW, easily.
UNSTOPPABLE FURY. UNTHINKABLE POWER. UNBREAKABLE WILL.
tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to bitch about, then tangent onto something unrelated and bitch about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can bitch some more. It's the circle of life.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

The new look did seem more mechanical than the Showa era, and the scythe hands looks much deadlier. I like that Gigan had his laser, but the kaiju wasn't much of a fighter. They give it a weapon only to use it as fodder.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Neogeddon
Interpol Agent

Post by Neogeddon »

Cool design (not a fan of red and black, but the shapes are really nice), but man he had none of the personality of Showa Gigan. :/ They also built him up in the movie like this ultimate villain kaiju, but he goes down twice pretty quickly. To Mothra the second time, no less, just for Monster X to show up outta nowhere and be like, "Hi, I'm actually the big bad of this movie :^)"

Just wish his portrayal had been good enough to give the new look more justice.
✧ ★ ✦ ★ ✦ ★ ✧
ImageImage

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Probably the only major redesign from the movie I really liked. The colors really look good on this version and the chain hook attack is a neat addition.

Israha
Monarch Researcher

Post by Israha »

Awesome-looking monster (probably my favourite kaiju of the whole Millenium series), but not utilized very well in its movie. While it sort of made sense when FW Godzilla easily overpowered the rest of Xilien monsters (he was billed as the strongest of them all, after all), Gigan got dispatched way too easily for being presented as a major threat for long aeons. The only thing he managed to do was knocking down Gotengo temporarily and set Mothra on fire...not much for one of two main kaiju villains of the movie.

Coobzilla03
EDF Instructor

Post by Coobzilla03 »

While I like the design, his execution was rather poor. He wasn't that powerful in comparison to the original, who himself exactly that powerful. He didn't seem like much of a threat.
Resized Image

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Gigan wasn't given much opportunity to be a threat. The majority of the kaiju were easy fights for Godzilla to show off his strength and power. Gigan, unfortunately, was treated the same as them.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

SuperPawnageGigan
G-Force Personnel

Post by SuperPawnageGigan »

i love this verison of gigan because i like his upgraded form for the CHAINSAW HANDS!!!! BECAUSE THEY LOOK AMAZING
8-BIT MADNESS
2 Friends having a good time.

ZeppandonConfirmed
Monsterland Worker

Post by ZeppandonConfirmed »

I personally love this incarnation as Gigan, not as much as 72, but it is a cool design nonetheless.
I like the design of Gigan mostly, it's what makes him cool, but that's also the biggest flaw of the design. It was cool, but Toho tried too hard to make it look cool. But I guess it worked since I've seen plenty love this design. And I personally like this version as I said. Same goes for the Upgraded version and gave him chainsaws. Very cool!
Look in my eyes, what do you see?
The Cult of Personality

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Frezgle wrote:Just wish his portrayal had been good enough to give the new look more justice.
That sums it up perfectly, for me.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Destorogoji
G-Grasper

Post by Destorogoji »

Design wise, Gigan looks awesome, he has all the characteristic details from the original one, plus new updates that blend prety well in the style of the movie.
But yeah, he has an awful performance throughout the movie. :lol:
Here's my Instagram, I post photos of my figures, customs and sometimes other stuff:
https://www.instagram.com/buruno.98/

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

To be fair, at least he didn't run away. :) Maybe his quick, painful deaths in this movie are what what have happened all the time if Gigan hadn't. ;)
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Komenja
Interpol Agent

Post by Komenja »

Leather Daddy Gigan is best Gigan!

latinothor
GPN Volunteer

Post by latinothor »

Gigan was extremely powerful in Final Wars. Let me explain, Godzilla as soon as he was awaken from the ice, wasted no time and shot his Atomic breath at Gigan and knock him off his feet but didn't cause major damage. It was only when Gigan held Godzilla with his metal hooks, that the full power of Godzilla's Atomic ray managed to destroy his head. Gigan, inadvertently might have sealed his fate by using his hooks in that manner.

Then Gigan 2.0 easily defeated Mothra, who is one of the most powerful kaijus besides the King himself. Gigan even got extremely cocky at how easily he defeated Mothra. So, this is why I believe this version of Gaigan was definitely up there in the powerhouse department.

First post by the way! :)

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

I'm probably one of those few people who enjoys this design more then the original. Don't get me wrong Showa Gigan is cool and all and works for its time but I like how they make this Gigan look sadistic and menacing the way the cyborg is suppose to represent especially being known for the first monster to make Godzilla bleed.

Destorogoji
G-Grasper

Post by Destorogoji »

I've been thinking about how well Gigan's classic colors could fit this design.
Here's my Instagram, I post photos of my figures, customs and sometimes other stuff:
https://www.instagram.com/buruno.98/

Jatahaxe
Interpol Agent

Post by Jatahaxe »

latinothor wrote:Gigan was extremely powerful in Final Wars. Let me explain, Godzilla as soon as he was awaken from the ice, wasted no time and shot his Atomic breath at Gigan and knock him off his feet but didn't cause major damage. It was only when Gigan held Godzilla with his metal hooks, that the full power of Godzilla's Atomic ray managed to destroy his head. Gigan, inadvertently might have sealed his fate by using his hooks in that manner.

Then Gigan 2.0 easily defeated Mothra, who is one of the most powerful kaijus besides the King himself. Gigan even got extremely cocky at how easily he defeated Mothra. So, this is why I believe this version of Gaigan was definitely up there in the powerhouse department.

First post by the way! :)
While I fail to see exactly how Gigan's hooks made Godzilla's ray stronger, I do second the notion that FW Gigan was more of a victim of GFW's frenzied plot rather than nerfs or Godzilla being too OP in this movie.
Monsters are the real people.