Monster Toy Spotlight #7: Hedorah (Showa)

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Monster Toy Spotlight #7: Hedorah (Showa)

Post by g2vd »

It's time for the next Monster Toy Spotlight Thread! and what Kaiju and amazing figure have I picked to start us off?!

MONSTER SPOTLIGHT #7: Hedorah (Showa)

And for the figure?

The Bandai Creations Hedorah! *Dodges Flaming Tomato*

In truth I find some of the hate for this figure to be a weey bit overblown, while yes it is a bad figure I don't find it to be as bad as some have said

It does actually manage to have a pretty great amount of detail not as much as it's Japan counterpart but I find it does the character justice and has some of the best detail of a figure from the BC line. however I do agree with many of the negatives

For one I find the coloring to be just plain weird as if Hedorah was covered in a Sludge version of a Rainbow it does get the colors of sludge decently it just seems as a weird choice to me, in my opinion it should have just been Jet Black as Hedorah was in the movie. and while the pose it's in defintely calls to mind stances he was in during the film, the pose it's in doesn't really look cool it's a pretty boring standard pose. and the figure fails to capture the creepy factor of Hedorah during the film with Hedorah's Red Eyes, his black color scheme his whole design looked scary and while the figure does justice to the design it doesn't carry any of his prescencse which is disapponting to say the least.

And the worst part it doesn't have ANY articulation at all, which prety much makes it a block of Vinyl which is the biggest complaint everybody has with it and makes it kind of boring to have on the shelf and is pretty much plain dumb and the Tail..though at least with Hedorah it makes a little bit of sense as one could say he's still forming which kind of fixes it not much though. but it's at least more than what you can say for 1968 and 2000

Overall, despite all of it's big flaws I find it to be a okay figure inferior to any of it's Japanese counterparts, but for what it is it's not that bad it could have been way better absolutely, but for a Hunk of Vinyl it's not too bad it's a simi decent figure and it scales pretty well with other Godzilla figures both from and outside of the line.

(Sorry for the Image quality, it was the best I could do with what I had it took me a while just to get images that good.)
Godzilla

KlenSeven
Interpol Agent

Re: Monster Toy Spotlight #7: Hedorah (Showa)

Post by KlenSeven »

X-Plus Chess Piece

CCP

X-Plus 25cm

Zacca SD

CCP (Fuzzy flocking)
Resized Image

CCP
Resized Image

CCP (Glow in the Dark)
Resized Image

Mini YMSF
Resized Image

Bullmark Repro (M1 i believe) and Y-MSF
Resized Image

CCP
Resized Image

Y-MSF
Resized Image

Got a few more that i need to take pictures of still

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

You know what's funny is that at once upon a time, Hedorah was a kaiju that was very under-represented in figure form. I used to think "Damn, why can't any good company make a decent Hedorah?"). Then in the early-mid 2000s, there was literally a 100 ton TNT EXPLOSION of Hedora figures. :freak: Seriously, it was just insane at not only the massive plethora of Hedorah figures that appeared, but just the break-neck pace in which they all seemed to appear on the scene at once....At one point, CCP in particular could have literally adopted Hedorah as their official company mascot :lol: I don't think 10 pages of this thread could list all of the various Hedorah figures out. Hopefully, we'll someday see a similar explosion of Gabara figures...um, ok, maybe not, but one can always dream :mrgreen:

Here are the various Hedorah figures I own:

Marmit Monster Heaven Flying Hedorah:

Various Marmit Monster Heaven Hedorah figures:

Marmit Build-up kit Hedorah, which is fantastic and a very overlooked Hedorah figure:

Last edited by ebirahsmeg1 on Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
GIANT CONDOR!!!!!!!! :shock:

"Someone kick me, kick me hard! We're stupid." - Corn on the cob eatin' Hippie (Godzilla vs Gigan)

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I have the same Hedorah figure that G2Vd has. Honestly it's one of my favorites in small collection(my favorite being the Kong 1993 figure), but that's partially because Hedorah is one of my favorite monsters. Despite being a solid lump of plastic it's still cool, and it doesn't deserve the hate.

Of course, the problem with the figure is that Hedorah in general has some of the best figures. The sheer variety of colors that match with the psychedelic tone of the movie work amazingly and I've seen people, even non Godzilla fans, with just Hedorah figure collections. Ugh, I kinda want to get more now.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Jomei
Futurian

Post by Jomei »

My own Y-MSF mini. Why is this one so awesome?

giant Marmit alongside some others for scale

XxHeiseifanxX wrote:Can we lower age limit! There are TOO MANY HEISEI HATERS!!!
Thatguy4683 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:04 pmWhat? Is this a joke? What gonna on here?
♡ Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin!♡
Challenge me to a Pokémon battle

Castellan Zilla
Keizer

Post by Castellan Zilla »

Man, those CCPs are beautiful. I really need to get a Hedorah in my collection at some point.
I will explain slowly why you are wrong.

KlenSeven
Interpol Agent

Post by KlenSeven »

So glad you posted that Marmit Iron Joe figure ebirahsmeg, for a long time that was on my wish list, but eventually i got the 30cm X-Plus which is decent enough stand-in at half the cost (since i had missed the Marmit before it made it to the aftermarket)

Mr. X
Keizer

Post by Mr. X »

Not a whole lot in comparison to how much is out there, but a decent lot I think.

- Y-MSF 6" figure
- Bandai 8" figure
- Y-MSF Flying Hedorah (Damage + "Arms") w/ Godzilla (Bob Eggleton ver.)
- Bandai Creations 6" figure
- Bandai 6" figure
- CCP "Tadpole" figure
- Y-MSF Mini figure (Pink and Painted versions)
- Y-MSF Flying Hedorah (Normal variant) (Bob Eggleton ver.)
- Bottle Cap
- Iwakura Bullmark mini figure
- Bandai SD Godzilla vs. Hedorah
- Gashapon
- Y-MSF Water Form and Misc. figures (Bob Eggleton ver.)

Many of these are from Y-MSF yet I still want some more from them (notably the standard normal variant of the Flying Hedorah). Don't collect too many stylized figures but Hedorah is one I'll make an exception for. Still want quite a few. That Marmit Build-up figure ebirahsmeg posted looks wonderful.

The CCP tadpole figure is a random favorite of mine. Very simple but very cool.

Also pleased to see the mini Y-MSF figures getting some love. They are really nice. The Gashapon is also an instant favorite, one of the better Gashapons out there, IMO.

G2000 wrote:
2004Zilla wrote:May God have mercy on this site.
He's given up
2009MECHAGODZILLA wrote:
G2000 wrote:What about leeks? Can we post leeks?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... 3/Leek.jpg
http://orig02.deviantart.net/f900/f/201 ... 9nqjrv.png

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

Here's an online review of the Gigabrain Hedorah, the only Gigabrain figure that I don't have (but someday, it will be mine! :twisted: ). I've seen it a few times in person and it's a terrific sculpt.

KlenSeven wrote:So glad you posted that Marmit Iron Joe figure ebirahsmeg, for a long time that was on my wish list, but eventually i got the 30cm X-Plus which is decent enough stand-in at half the cost (since i had missed the Marmit before it made it to the aftermarket)
I found it for 4000 yen ($40) :g2k: I had no idea it goes for that much now. The Marmit Iron Joe/Build-up kit figures are awesome, and I think they're on par or rival some of the Xplus counterparts. Besides Hedorah, the only one I've laid eyes on is Gigan several years ago, and I regret not nabbing it to this day (I was too busy chasing Japanese women and had completely quit collecting for 2-3 years, haha :lol: )

"Someone kick me, kick me hard! We're stupid." - Corn on the cob eatin' Hippie (Godzilla vs Gigan)

MandaSaurus
Sazer

Post by MandaSaurus »

*WHOOSH*

Here's a flaming tomato for the idjit who started this thread with BC's unposeable lump of dung Hedorah... :P

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

A couple of reviews for Xplus' Hedorah figures from Richard Eso/Fresh Vinyl:

Xplus 25cm Hedorah

Xplus 30cm Hedorah

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

ebirahsmeg1 wrote:You know what's funny is that at once upon a time, Hedorah was a kaiju that was very under-represented in figure form. I used to think "Damn, why can't any good company make a decent Hedorah?"). Then in the early-mid 2000s, there was literally a 100 ton TNT EXPLOSION of Hedora figures. :freak: Seriously, it was just insane at not only the massive plethora of Hedorah figures that appeared, but just the break-neck pace in which they all seemed to appear on the scene at once....At one point, CCP in particular could have literally adopted Hedorah as their official company mascot :lol: I don't think 10 pages of this thread could list all of the various Hedorah figures out. Hopefully, we'll someday see a similar explosion of Gabara figures...um, ok, maybe not, but one can always dream :mrgreen:

Here are the various Hedorah figures I own:

Marmit Monster Heaven Flying Hedorah:
http://i744.photobucket.com/albums/xx81 ... 921tlm.jpg

Various Marmit Monster Heaven Hedorah figures:

http://i744.photobucket.com/albums/xx81 ... 010324.jpg

Marmit Build-up kit Hedorah, which is fantastic and a very overlooked Hedorah figure:

http://i744.photobucket.com/albums/xx81 ... 010812.jpg
I feel it's partly because of the growing popularity of the stylized figures and Hedorah's design lends itself very well to that type of figure.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

Here's an online review of the 30cm Xplus Hedorah figure. One interesting thing to note is that he also looks at the 1971 25cm Xplus figure...but a much different variant than the figure where he has normal arms/hands instead of holding Hedorah's eyes/eggs /testicles/whatever:

Here's an online overview of the Marusan 9 inch Hedorah figure:

KaijuZoo
GPN Volunteer

Post by KaijuZoo »

I really like the look of the Marmit Vinyl Paradise line = stylized old school, colorful and retro-clunky!
May I present the "Smoggies on Parade!"?

Resized Image
Jonee
KaijuZoo Toys - Where the Monsters Live
http://www.kaijuzoo.com
KaijuZoo Gallery Slideshow
KaijuZoo Moving Sale
Kaijuzoo eBay Auctions
G-Fan "Dealer of the Month" - Summer 2005

KlenSeven
Interpol Agent

Post by KlenSeven »

^ love all the different eyes that are featured in these stylized figures

The one CCP i posted has reflections of Godzilla in his eyes

Here's the charatics Showa Hedorah in clear vinyl
ImageImage

Has the torch been passed?

KaijuZoo
GPN Volunteer

Post by KaijuZoo »

KlenSeven wrote:Has the torch been passed?
Yes, ebirahsmeg gave it to me, I'll be posting spotlight #8 Saturday nite.

And continuing with a few more figs from my Hedorah collection along with related artwork...

Marmit giant glowie Hedorah along with an original signed print by Bob Eggleton
and also signed by Hedorah director Yoshimitsu Banno at G-Fest in 2005.

Resized Image

Bear Model Glow Hedorah - Super 7 first release exclusive with Mark Nagata "anatomy" print from 2003

Resized Image
Jonee
KaijuZoo Moving Sale
Kaijuzoo eBay Auctions

ArchdukeSquidlyIII
G-Force Personnel

Post by ArchdukeSquidlyIII »

Here's the beautiful Marmit Monster Heaven Tokyo Toy Fest Exclusive Translucent Grey Hedorah among a few other rare figures I bought at G-Fest 2014

Too lazy to upload more pictures onto photo bucket, so here's a better look at the figure from Club Tokyo
Please refer to me as jiggy22 (or just jiggy!)

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

KlenSeven wrote:
Has the torch been passed?
Yeah, I just passed it to KaijuZoo by PM seeing how this place has been in a bit of chaos this past week with all the bans/Leaks-Gate and what not, which might be why there weren't as many posts in the Hedorah thread as there were in previous spotlights. Either KaijuZoo can nominate someone for Spotlight #9 later this week/weekend, or anyone can speak up anytime and volunteer if they want to do #9. :huge:
Last edited by ebirahsmeg1 on Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

KlenSeven
Interpol Agent

Post by KlenSeven »

30cm X-Plus Hedorah
Resized Image
Resized Image

KaijuZoo
GPN Volunteer

Post by KaijuZoo »

Two examples of the classic Bullmark Hawaii paint scheme.

Marmit Monster Heaven Swimming Hedorah, pink Hawaii style colorway from 2007 Lucky Bag.
Resized Image

US Toys Hedorah - a 3.5 inch beauty from 2007 Tokyo Super Fest !!
Resized Image
Jonee
KaijuZoo Moving Sale
Kaijuzoo eBay Auctions