"Interesting" Assumptions You've Heard From Non-Fans

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
User avatar
Mini-Godzilla
JXSDF Technician
Posts: 993
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:55 pm

Re: "Interesting" Assumptions You've Heard From Non-Fans

Postby Mini-Godzilla » Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:26 pm

The most common assumption I've found: the low-budget 1970s Godzilla films represent the franchise norm rather than a small subset of the series. The immense popularity of Godzilla vs. Megalon in the U.S. is probably the main cause for this belief. People have a hard time believing that the original movie was an apocalyptic horror film.
Godzilla says I should learn to fight my own battles!

User avatar
toho_guy01
Interpol Agent
Posts: 523
Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:56 am

Re: "Interesting" Assumptions You've Heard From Non-Fans

Postby toho_guy01 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:23 am

JAGzilla wrote:Pretty sure what M.o.g.u.e.r.a. means is that comparing (for example) Pacific Rim to The Wizard of Oz is a little bizarre. Aside from both being movies with prominent special effects and a doggie, what do they have in common?

They're good, timeless movies.

M.o.g.u.e.r.a14 wrote:
toho_guy01 wrote:
M.o.g.u.e.r.a14 wrote:Pacific Rim, Godzilla 2014, and Jurassic World would like a word with you.

I would say Fantasia is better than all three. Granted, it was from 1940 but Phantom of the Opera and Nosferatu came out in the 20's along with Snow White and Wizard of Oz in the 30's so, your argument isn't holding up.

It's like you're comparing Jimmy neutron to The Expendables.

Which one's Jimmy Neutron, I have to ask. Explain to me how Godzilla 2014 and Jurassic World are better than Fantasia, Phantom of the Opera, Nosferatu, Snow White and Wizard of Oz.
That fella that still exists for whatever reason.

User avatar
Missingno.
G-Grasper
Posts: 1327
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:07 pm

Re: "Interesting" Assumptions You've Heard From Non-Fans

Postby Missingno. » Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:02 am

M.o.g.u.e.r.a14 wrote:It's like you're comparing Jimmy neutron to The Expendables.


It doesn't help your argument saying this, because your statement basically just compared something that was first seen in 2001 to something that was first seen in 2010. That's a 9 year difference, and Jimmy Neutron compared to something such as The Mummy (1932), I'd say that the victor is clear once more.
TK's resident other 80's fan who longs for that decade's return, and severe weather fanatic.

LSD Jellyfish wrote:WOW WHAT HONOL. SO KOOR, VERY JOUZU KAWAII SOU DESU NE. AHHHH OKII CHINKO DESU KA. MMMMM CHICHI, WATSHI NO MANKO NI CHINKO O IKYUUUUUUUU


NEVER FORGET:
8-8-2015
R.I.P. Games forum


Resized ImageResized ImageResized Image

The 80's----The weather!

User avatar
LazerWhale
G-Grasper
Posts: 1057
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:06 pm
Location: Canada

Re: "Interesting" Assumptions You've Heard From Non-Fans

Postby LazerWhale » Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:39 am

Living Corpse wrote:
LazerWhale wrote:Don't know if I've mentioned it here before, but my close friend didn't know that Godzilla could swim.
In his defense, he'd never seen a Godzilla film before. The hilarious part was that he hadn't been actively watching the movie with me, so this came about maybe halfway through, and thus had come after numerous scenes of Godzilla in the water.

But he's a sea monster...

Like I said, he'd never seen a Godzilla film before, nor had he cared to. In his own words, the genre just isn't his thing, it doesn't appeal to him on a conceptual level.

Thusly, all he knew about Godzilla was the "giant, 'fire'-breathing 'dinosaur'" label that gets applied to the character by the general masses.
Lazer's Art Thread:http://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=21430&view=viewpoll
My DeviantArt: http://lazerwhale.deviantart.com/
Just because someone likes something you don't, don't treat them poorly for it.
But,
Just because someone doesn't like something you do, don't treat them poorly for it, either.

Lest We Forget

User avatar
g2vd
Kwaidan
Posts: 6917
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:36 am

Re: "Interesting" Assumptions You've Heard From Non-Fans

Postby g2vd » Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:25 am

Missingno. wrote:
M.o.g.u.e.r.a14 wrote:It's like you're comparing Jimmy neutron to The Expendables.


It doesn't help your argument saying this, because your statement basically just compared something that was first seen in 2001 to something that was first seen in 2010. That's a 9 year difference, and Jimmy Neutron compared to something such as The Mummy (1932), I'd say that the victor is clear once more.

He's comparing tone. Jimmy Neutron compared to The Expendables would show a big gap in tone, but than that means he takes that level and turns it into quality which means he views every 20s, 30s and 40s movie as complete garbage compared to everything else.. :? .
Godzilla

User avatar
toho_guy01
Interpol Agent
Posts: 523
Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:56 am

Re: "Interesting" Assumptions You've Heard From Non-Fans

Postby toho_guy01 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:58 am

g2vd wrote:
Missingno. wrote:
M.o.g.u.e.r.a14 wrote:It's like you're comparing Jimmy neutron to The Expendables.


It doesn't help your argument saying this, because your statement basically just compared something that was first seen in 2001 to something that was first seen in 2010. That's a 9 year difference, and Jimmy Neutron compared to something such as The Mummy (1932), I'd say that the victor is clear once more.

He's comparing tone. Jimmy Neutron compared to The Expendables would show a big gap in tone, but than that means he takes that level and turns it into quality which means he views every 20s, 30s and 40s movie as complete garbage compared to everything else.. :? .

Tone doesn't mean poop when the quality of the 20s, 30s and 40s movies are better that Jimmy Neutron. I have a feeling he's thinking that every 20s, 30s and 40s movies are Wizard of Oz and Fantasia.
That fella that still exists for whatever reason.

User avatar
M.o.g.u.e.r.a14
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2944
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:45 pm
Location: My house.

Re: "Interesting" Assumptions You've Heard From Non-Fans

Postby M.o.g.u.e.r.a14 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:19 pm

toho_guy01 wrote:Which one's Jimmy Neutron, I have to ask. Explain to me how Godzilla 2014 and Jurassic World are better than Fantasia, Phantom of the Opera, Nosferatu, Snow White and Wizard of Oz.

Godzilla 2014- Giant monster brawls, scientists, and impacts on today's world.
Jurassic World- Dinosaurs being revived in today's world, Dino fights, original Dino's vs whole new dino.

I just realized that my favorite movies are just action movies with little story. And yours aren't really that bad.
Fan of Godzilla, Pacific Rim, Sailor Moon, and Transformers.

Dezerb wrote: buenos ding dong didily dias senor.


http://i.imgur.com/PpE0DEQ.gif

Moguera14 X Sailor Moon

User avatar
toho_guy01
Interpol Agent
Posts: 523
Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:56 am

Re: "Interesting" Assumptions You've Heard From Non-Fans

Postby toho_guy01 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:02 am

M.o.g.u.e.r.a14 wrote:
toho_guy01 wrote:Which one's Jimmy Neutron, I have to ask. Explain to me how Godzilla 2014 and Jurassic World are better than Fantasia, Phantom of the Opera, Nosferatu, Snow White and Wizard of Oz.

Godzilla 2014- Giant monster brawls, scientists, and impacts on today's world.
Jurassic World- Dinosaurs being revived in today's world, Dino fights, original Dino's vs whole new dino.

I just realized that my favorite movies are just action movies with little story. And yours aren't really that bad.

But are they better?
That fella that still exists for whatever reason.

User avatar
Janjira-York
Interpol Agent
Posts: 615
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:18 am

Re: "Interesting" Assumptions You've Heard From Non-Fans

Postby Janjira-York » Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:02 pm

M.o.g.u.e.r.a14 wrote:
toho_guy01 wrote:Which one's Jimmy Neutron, I have to ask. Explain to me how Godzilla 2014 and Jurassic World are better than Fantasia, Phantom of the Opera, Nosferatu, Snow White and Wizard of Oz.

Godzilla 2014- Giant monster brawls, scientists, and impacts on today's world.
Jurassic World- Dinosaurs being revived in today's world, Dino fights, original Dino's vs whole new dino.

I just realized that my favorite movies are just action movies with little story. And yours aren't really that bad.


fun dumb movies are not wrong to like, but saying that are good compared to say 2001 a soace odisey or casablanca is not quite right.

Also you are mentioning fun flick films (exept JW), I'll take 33 kong even if it bores me a lot before one of the spooky horro movies like paranormal activty any day, and those are more recent.
(hey if someone can compare the expandables to jimmy neutron I can do that one)

User avatar
AbudJasemAlBaldawi
Yin-Yang Master
Posts: 357
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:51 am

Re: "Interesting" Assumptions You've Heard From Non-Fans

Postby AbudJasemAlBaldawi » Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:47 am

I will admit I've never watched anything from before the sound era, but saying something is worse because its old is, well, naive, and saying old stuff is better because its older is also naive. Someone earlier mentioned something I'd have to agree with, a lot (though I wouldn't say most) people assume older movies are better because only the good/memorable movies from those times were really remembered, this'll be obvious in the years to come when people will talk about the "good ol' days when movies like Inception and Django Unchained were out" while stuff like Fifty Shades Of Gray and High School Musical will pretty much be lost to time. This all reminds me of how I tried to explain that Raging Bull being shot in b&w was an artistic choice and she just said "but that's like disrespectful to technology." People like that aren't really into movies, they'll just watch whatever's new and hip because its, well, new and hip.
Image
Spoiler:
Image

User avatar
3000
EDF Soldier
Posts: 3544
Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:50 pm

Re: "Interesting" Assumptions You've Heard From Non-Fans

Postby 3000 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:29 am

toho_guy01 wrote:
M.o.g.u.e.r.a14 wrote:
toho_guy01 wrote:Which one's Jimmy Neutron, I have to ask. Explain to me how Godzilla 2014 and Jurassic World are better than Fantasia, Phantom of the Opera, Nosferatu, Snow White and Wizard of Oz.

Godzilla 2014- Giant monster brawls, scientists, and impacts on today's world.
Jurassic World- Dinosaurs being revived in today's world, Dino fights, original Dino's vs whole new dino.

I just realized that my favorite movies are just action movies with little story. And yours aren't really that bad.

But are they better?



That's entirely subjective so I'm not sure why you two are arguing about this.
Member of TK Since 2006

User avatar
toho_guy01
Interpol Agent
Posts: 523
Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:56 am

Re: "Interesting" Assumptions You've Heard From Non-Fans

Postby toho_guy01 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:51 am

3000 wrote:That's entirely subjective so I'm not sure why you two are arguing about this.

I wouldn't say arguing. He said:
Well tbh who would want to see a movie from the 20's/30's

Or something among those lines. I proved him wrong. That's not arguing, at least in my book.
That fella that still exists for whatever reason.

User avatar
M.o.g.u.e.r.a14
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2944
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:45 pm
Location: My house.

Re: "Interesting" Assumptions You've Heard From Non-Fans

Postby M.o.g.u.e.r.a14 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:17 pm

toho_guy01 wrote:
M.o.g.u.e.r.a14 wrote:
toho_guy01 wrote:Which one's Jimmy Neutron, I have to ask. Explain to me how Godzilla 2014 and Jurassic World are better than Fantasia, Phantom of the Opera, Nosferatu, Snow White and Wizard of Oz.

Godzilla 2014- Giant monster brawls, scientists, and impacts on today's world.
Jurassic World- Dinosaurs being revived in today's world, Dino fights, original Dino's vs whole new dino.

I just realized that my favorite movies are just action movies with little story. And yours aren't really that bad.

But are they better?

Yes.
Fan of Godzilla, Pacific Rim, Sailor Moon, and Transformers.

Dezerb wrote: buenos ding dong didily dias senor.


http://i.imgur.com/PpE0DEQ.gif

Moguera14 X Sailor Moon

User avatar
GodzillavsZilla
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 2987
Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:45 am
Location: somewhere riding on Anguirus

Re: "Interesting" Assumptions You've Heard From Non-Fans

Postby GodzillavsZilla » Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:09 pm

Yes

Any reasons why or are you just going to leave it at that?
BrashAlaskan95 wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:I hope you plan on mounting this thing. :lol:

On my wall. ;)
I'll call it "Bob: The One Who Was skreeonk From The Start". :lol:
skreeonk scary poop though if it is just scratches.


Zilla103192 wrote:She saw Godzilla fly... And just gave up. She called bullshit, broke up with me, and just left.

User avatar
2004Zilla
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 4958
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:38 pm
Location: Val Verde
Contact:

Re: "Interesting" Assumptions You've Heard From Non-Fans

Postby 2004Zilla » Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:10 pm

M.o.g.u.e.r.a14 wrote:scientists

Yes, because it's not like literally every science fiction film ever has these.
SuperPawnageGigan wrote:What has this thread become.

Image

User avatar
Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated
Posts: 11515
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:31 pm
Location: the Wired

Re: "Interesting" Assumptions You've Heard From Non-Fans

Postby Lain Of The Wired » Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:47 am

Godzilla breaths fire

I blame HB Godzilla for this lol
Image
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

User avatar
GodzillaFanatic2001
Yin-Yang Master
Posts: 324
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:19 pm

Re: "Interesting" Assumptions You've Heard From Non-Fans

Postby GodzillaFanatic2001 » Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:53 am

Lain Of The Wired wrote:Godzilla breaths fire

I blame HB Godzilla for this lol


Weren't there people who were mad that Godzilla 2014 "messed up Godzilla's breath into some weird ice beam thingy"?
You can probably blame HB Godzilla for that. And Marvel's Godzilla comic, that one he shoots fire in as well.
HayesAJones wrote:
Godzilla 2000 wrote:Its harmless fun, pure and simple.

As opposed to those dangerously fun movies.


GalacticPetey wrote:
eabaker wrote:
edgaguirus wrote:Great for any afternoon. Or late night movie.

But not the morning. No, no... Never the morning.
This movie's quality improves by 50% when viewed past noon.

User avatar
Pkmatrix
EDF Soldier
Posts: 3080
Joined: Fri May 06, 2011 12:19 pm

Re: "Interesting" Assumptions You've Heard From Non-Fans

Postby Pkmatrix » Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:40 am

GodzillaFanatic2001 wrote:
Lain Of The Wired wrote:Godzilla breaths fire

I blame HB Godzilla for this lol


Weren't there people who were mad that Godzilla 2014 "messed up Godzilla's breath into some weird ice beam thingy"?
You can probably blame HB Godzilla for that. And Marvel's Godzilla comic, that one he shoots fire in as well.


There were some. I think it was more common, though, for people to be surprised after G'14 to learn Godzilla had a breath weapon of any sort. You'd be amazed how many non-fans take the "Godzilla is a Giant Mutated Lizard" misconception VERY literally.

User avatar
Rody
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 5159
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:55 am

Re: "Interesting" Assumptions You've Heard From Non-Fans

Postby Rody » Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:19 pm

I've talked with one or two people before who though Godzilla started as an American property before getting adopted by the Japanese.
Considering how Gojira/Godzilla, King of the Monsters! was handled, though, it's an understandable mistake.

User avatar
spottedming
Yojimbo
Posts: 61
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:10 am

Re: "Interesting" Assumptions You've Heard From Non-Fans

Postby spottedming » Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:23 am

one ive heard is that gamera is a godzilla monster, well in a way they are slightly right and wrong about that one since toho produced the g trilogy, but at the same time I better not jinx it in case a deal is struck to do a cross over film with the two behemoths, which is unlikely but who knows


Return to “General Toho Films”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests