Godzilla vs SpaceGodzilla (1994)

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Re: Godzilla vs SpaceGodzilla (1994)

Post by g2vd »

Kaiser wrote:Speak for yourself, I always thought King Ghidorah's attack on Fukuoka was a pretty great sequence even with the 'hovering' effects.
I will fight you!

Though to be serious I could go on a tirade about how terrible Ghidorah's Scenes are.
Godzilla

Kaiser
G-Force Personnel

Post by Kaiser »

The Fukuoka scene at least uses miniatures whereas Godzilla's march through Kyushu is just green screen and superimposed explosions. Some shots do actually look pretty cool, but the whole thing gets really tiring after about two minutes which is about how long the scene goes on if I remember correctly. Flawed as the effects in King Ghidorah may be, Kawakita was at least putting some effort in as compared to this film.

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

Kaiser wrote:The Fukuoka scene at least uses miniatures whereas Godzilla's march through Kyushu is just green screen and superimposed explosions. Some shots do actually look pretty cool, but the whole thing gets really tiring after about two minutes which is about how long the scene goes on if I remember correctly. Flawed as the effects in King Ghidorah may be, Kawakita was at least putting some effort in as compared to this film.
True, but it wasn't due to a lack of effort it's just the entire budget was massively slashed, it was all they could do with what they had. now they could easily have shortened that whole sequence to a minute and it would have had the same effect and convey the same massage and in truth the effects could have looked better on those scenes, if they didn't stretch it out for the simple purpose of filler.
Godzilla

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

g2vd wrote:
Kaiser wrote:Speak for yourself, I always thought King Ghidorah's attack on Fukuoka was a pretty great sequence even with the 'hovering' effects.
I will fight you!

Though to be serious I could go on a tirade about how terrible Ghidorah's Scenes are.
Seriously, stop doing that whole little "I'll fight you" thing everytime someone disagrees with you, it sounds really immature every time you do it.
People have different opinions, deal with it.
And the Ghidorah destruction scene in GvKG is FAR better than the scene you guy's are talking about. All it takes is effort, the only thing really wrong is just how weird the flying Ghidorah prop looks from time to time, an that doesn wen have to do with the miniature/CGI thing
An what the fucks with people trashing GvKG all of a sudden? :lol:
It's got probably the most unique plot out of the rest of Heisei, not saying its not flawed, because damn is has a lot, but it's far better than this movie, by a long shot.

This movie's boring, and all the human parts are just lame, and the final battle to too drawn out, normally this would be a good thing, but not when the suits are SO damn clunky, all we have for grappling is too heavy, chunky suits slapping against eachother with their equally nubby arms, and then the rest is just a non stop beam war, so yeah its 20 min fight scene is bad, and yeah, MOGUERA manages to pull off a couple of cool moves, the rest is just a non stop beam battle.
And also the way Mothra was incorporated seemed cheap
The effects are really bad, and that's saying saying for the Heisei series, the only thing that interested me from this movie was the "Godzilla son" thing they were starting to do with him growing from movie to movie.
And I thought MOGUERA's HUGE redesign was a nice upgrade, plus lul robo penguin.
Hands down worst Heisei Godzilla movie in my opinion.
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

Lain Of The Wired wrote:Seriously, stop doing that whole little "I'll fight you" thing everytime someone disagrees with you, it sounds really immature every time you do it.
Exactly, I do it to make a joke about people's reactions you know who I refer too.
Lain Of The Wired wrote:
g2vd wrote:
I will fight you!

Seriously, stop doing that whole little "I'll fight you" thing everytime someone disagrees with you, it sounds really immature every time you do it.
And the Ghidorah destruction scene in GvKG is FAR better than the scene you guy's are talking about. All it takes is effort, the only thing really wrong is just how weird the flying Ghidorah prop looks from time to time, an that doesn wen have to do with the miniature/CGI thing
An what the fucks with people trashing GvKG all of a sudden? :lol:
It's got probably the most unique plot out of the rest of Heisei, not saying its not flawed, because damn is has a lot, but it's far better than this movie, by a long shot.
I do agree I like the concept of the plot and it's ideas, the problem is I find it's excutection completely terrible read the last 5 pages of the GVKG thread to see my reasonings, and why I hate the destruction scenes in GVKG.
Godzilla

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I happen to also like the scenes where Spacegodzilla is just flying around as a mass of crystals. He doesn't go super fast but it's pretty intimidating and downright creepy. I will concede there is one bad shot of him doing this with horrible blue screen but later there's a really good one (after the policeman gag) of him flying across the water towards the tower.
Then also there's a scene I really like where there's a reporter screaming at the camera while Spacegodzilla is in the background raising crystals and destroying buildings. IIRC she screams that downtown is like hell on earth, it's a great tone setter.

Also a lot of the cinematography is great too. And by this I mean how there's a lot of great shots of Spacegodzilla from a downwards angle looking up while he cackles. It's super cool and definitely makes him more evil looking.

Finally I'm surprised SG has an emp ability and he doesn't get enough credit. Sure it's a semi common ability now, thanks to Legion, Leatherback, and Muto's but SG did it first. Again a lot of people criticize SG for not being original but they did pump a lot of originality into his design and abilities. The movie is also more original for using Mougera, and revamping him with cool abilities, rather than just rehashing MG. While it does boil down to an alien invasion kaiju film it has a lot of original design choices that people don't praise.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

The movie had certainly good moments but sadly to most people they just just focus on the negatives. Not that I blame them since it is regarded as one of the worst.

It is fun for what it is, IMO.
UNSTOPPABLE FURY. UNTHINKABLE POWER. UNBREAKABLE WILL.
tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to bitch about, then tangent onto something unrelated and bitch about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can bitch some more. It's the circle of life.

Captain Aktion
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Captain Aktion »

I'm the weirdo who thinks it's a better film before Space Godzilla actually shows up and that the quality of it decreases at an almost exact degree that his screentime increases. I was kind of charmed by an attempt at a smaller scale, slightly more intimate return to the "Island" films from the Showa era. To be clear, I don't necessarily think that segment of the film is good, but I would've rather it stayed in that mode.
http://captainaktion.tumblr.com/

This website is for noncommercial use only and is not affiliated with, or authorized or endorsed by Toho Co. Ltd.

Forum Rules and Guidelines Excerpt, Section 10:
Staff Accountability
no moderator, administrator, group moderator, forum leader, site staffer, or former member of the aforementioned groups is exempt from scrutiny

Failure by members or ex-members of leadership to avoid such activity may result in termination.

Know The Score

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

Captain Aktion wrote:I'm the weirdo who thinks it's a better film before Space Godzilla actually shows up and that the quality of it decreases at an almost exact degree that his screentime increases. I was kind of charmed by an attempt at a smaller scale, slightly more intimate return to the "Island" films from the Showa era. To be clear, I don't necessarily think that segment of the film is good, but I would've rather it stayed in that mode.
Really? It didn't seem that 'better' in retrospect in contrast with the other parts of it but it was an interesting thing to see tried out in the Heisei era.
tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to bitch about, then tangent onto something unrelated and bitch about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can bitch some more. It's the circle of life.

Captain Aktion
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Captain Aktion »

Giga Kaiju wrote: Really? It didn't seem that 'better' in retrospect in contrast with the other parts of it but it was an interesting thing to see tried out in the Heisei era.
I guess that the idea of keeping it there on the island and being about mismatched heroes teamed up with a lone ranger type, hopping around an island guerrilla attacking and observing Godzilla while he raises his son and then wards off another monster is really appealing to me. Simple, but it would've been neat. Hell, it'd be kind of cool for it to be like a "lost adventure" of the Heisei era. Like, everything takes place on the island and when it's all over Moguera is wrecked and Godzilla has moved on and there's just a handful of people left with a crazy, unbelievable story about a "Godzilla from space". *shrug* This movie needs all the meta thinking it can get to stay bearable.

This website is for noncommercial use only and is not affiliated with, or authorized or endorsed by Toho Co. Ltd.

Staff Accountability
no moderator, administrator, group moderator, forum leader, site staffer, or former member of the aforementioned groups is exempt from scrutiny

Failure by members or ex-members of leadership to avoid such activity may result in termination.

Know The Score

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

Hehe. It'd be kind of interesting to have seen 'contained' story in an island about Godzilla and co. but I figured that the Island would have been 'little' for such a concept like SPACEGODZILLA.

Captain Aktion
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Captain Aktion »

Giga Kaiju wrote:Hehe. It'd be kind of interesting to have seen 'contained' story in an island about Godzilla and co. but I figured that the Island would have been 'little' for such a concept like SPACEGODZILLA.
Well, at least they would've maybe had the budget to handle something smaller. That was my main problem with Heisei; everyone tried to be progressively "bigger" while the budgets shrank/shuffled off screen.

Staff Accountability

Know The Score

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

Captain Aktion wrote:
Giga Kaiju wrote:Hehe. It'd be kind of interesting to have seen 'contained' story in an island about Godzilla and co. but I figured that the Island would have been 'little' for such a concept like SPACEGODZILLA.
Well, at least they would've maybe had the budget to handle something smaller. That was my main problem with Heisei; everyone tried to be progressively "bigger" while the budgets shrank/shuffled off screen.
Hmm. Makes sense. Didn't know exactly that the budgets were an actual trouble that the Heisei series had in that way. (One can still learn stuff even to this day if that's the case.) ;)

In a way, if someone decided for that, it maybe could have worked, but like you said, it just 'UP THE ANTE' and maybe audiences 'expected' for that. I mean, if go for mechanical clone-clone from space-mutation of a weapon of mass destruction, well, what can you say...?

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Regarding the budget a lot of people complain about an infamous scene where Godzilla's tail goes up and you can see it falling apart. While it's true if you pause it you can notice it it's not really noticeable unless you're specifically looking for it and pause it. I'm not excusing it, I just feel like as with a lot of the films in the franchise it's the chosen scapegoat of the era. Even if it does have flaws and a small budget it still has a noticeably higher budget and effects than the Showa films.

Again I'd like to say GVSG isn't an amazing film, or one of the better Godzilla films, just defend that it's not unwatchable or shit like so many people here make it out to be. I've defended other unlinked films like GFW like this so it's possible I'm just an optimist and prefer not to focus on the negatives.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:Regarding the budget a lot of people complain about an infamous scene where Godzilla's tail goes up and you can see it falling apart. While it's true if you pause it you can notice it it's not really noticeable unless you're specifically looking for it and pause it. I'm not excusing it, I just feel like as with a lot of the films in the franchise it's the chosen scapegoat of the era. Even if it does have flaws and a small budget it still has a noticeably higher budget and effects than the Showa films.

Again I'd like to say GVSG isn't an amazing film, or one of the better Godzilla films, just defend that it's not unwatchable or shit like so many people here make it out to be. I've defended other unlinked films like GFW like this so it's possible I'm just an optimist and prefer not to focus on the negatives.
Really, the only gripe I have is how long it runs. Had there been a shorter cut, I think it would've been much more enjoyable. The fights are creative and fun, the new monster designs are great (specifically Moguera), and I love the yakuza subplot. There's one scene too many of Yuki's bathing ass, but hey, to each their own.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

There are many quick pointless shots which should be removed. I'm wondering if they were removed how people would feel. The ass shot is pretty much the height of it, serving absolutely zero purpose. You can't really say it's filler because the film still has tons of monster action and actually one of the longer run times of the series.

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

For what it is, I liked it. I'm one of those people that find enjoyment in each entry of the series anyway, but still.

Captain Aktion
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Captain Aktion »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:The ass shot is pretty much the height of it, serving absolutely zero purpose.
I've got a really good feeling I know why most people get...perturbed about that scene. But I'll refrain from saying.

Now, while I admit it's up for debate about how necessary the scene is, it does serve some narrative purpose. It clearly is set up to show that Yuki is a self-sufficient survivalist who's been "in the trees" for so long that he's either lost or just doesn't care about basic decorum, like covering his ass in front of people, and that these guys are totally contemptible to him. The immediate shot after or before, if I recall correctly, has the other two guys looking at him with a mix of frustration and bewilderment. It reinforces the differences between the three of them and it lays out that not only does Yuki not give a damn if "his ass is hanging out" but that he probably even gets a little kick out of provocation and sticking it to the "squares". The fact that the other two soldiers mean so little to him that basic things that we take for granted, like not sticking your ass out, are meaningless to him says something.

I get that an ass shot of a dude in the shower isn't necessarily something that belongs in a Godzilla film and I'd say that the naked breasts of a corpse aren't very couth either but I think the consternation over the butt-shot comes from somewhere other than quality or purpose. I mean, all the "yuck"s and "eww"s as form of critique say so.

Either way, that shot DID say more to me about the character than anything in Miki's entire plot said about her.

Staff Accountability

Know The Score

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

Captain Aktion wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:The ass shot is pretty much the height of it, serving absolutely zero purpose.
I've got a really good feeling I know why most people get...perturbed about that scene. But I'll refrain from saying.

Now, while I admit it's up for debate about how necessary the scene is, it does serve some narrative purpose. It clearly is set up to show that Yuki is a self-sufficient survivalist who's been "in the trees" for so long that he's either lost or just doesn't care about basic decorum, like covering his ass in front of people, and that these guys are totally contemptible to him. The immediate shot after or before, if I recall correctly, has the other two guys looking at him with a mix of frustration and bewilderment. It reinforces the differences between the three of them and it lays out that not only does Yuki not give a damn if "his ass is hanging out" but that he probably even gets a little kick out of provocation and sticking it to the "squares". The fact that the other two soldiers mean so little to him that basic things that we take for granted, like not sticking your ass out, are meaningless to him says something.

I get that an ass shot of a dude in the shower isn't necessarily something that belongs in a Godzilla film and I'd say that the naked breasts of a corpse aren't very couth either but I think the consternation over the butt-shot comes from somewhere other than quality or purpose. I mean, all the "yuck"s and "eww"s as form of critique say so.

Either way, that shot DID say more to me about the character than anything in Miki's entire plot said about her.
That moment when you hear that a literal 'ass-shot' has ACTUALLY meaning and it is so important to a character. :shock:

Props, no jokes or anything. That's an actual interesting way to see how a character is and truly helps cement that.

Makes sense since in the movie, Yuki aside from being resentful and vengative because of what happened to his friend (or was it brother? I can't remember exactly since I haven't seen the movie in quite awhile...) many years back, he is also a survivor from the way he was in that island by himself and if his words about Little G being 'fond of me' that implies that he has been there for quite some time.

Kaiser
G-Force Personnel

Post by Kaiser »

The abruptness of the "ass shot" was always what bothered me more than anything else. It just comes out of nowhere and feels so out of place in a Godzilla film that it feels like Tyler Durden is messing with your movie. It just provokes this "did I really just see that?" kind of reaction. I have no problems with male nudity handled tastefully but it's just such a bizarre scene that it ends up overshadowing most of the movie, which is probably more of a comment on how dull the film is than anything else.