Whats your Favorite Rebirth of Mothra Film?

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)

What is your Favorite Film of the Rebirth of Mothra Series

Rebirth of Mothra
45%
Rebirth of Mothra 2
9%
Mothra 3: Invasion of King Ghidorah
46%

Total votes: 96

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Re: Whats your Favorite Rebirth of Mothra Film?

Post by Godzillian »

why did they change the wing colors of Rainbow Mothra from being rainbow colored at the end of Mothra 2, to almost all blue in Mothra 3?
They had a new Special Effects Director come on board and he decided to redesign Rainbow Mothra for this film
Second, why didn't Sayaka Yamaguchi reprise her role as Lara in Mothra 3 and was instead replaced by Misato Tate?
She wasn't under any contract to play Lara so she either didn't want too or circumstances prevented her from returning

Dannybeane
Monsterland Worker

Post by Dannybeane »

The first one. Death Ghidorah is really well done and this one has the least awful kids.

Gothicserpent
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gothicserpent »

2. Its the one I had the most fun with.
"HAY ANGUIRUS"
"WHADDA WANT?"
"SUMPTIN FUNNEH GOIN ON, YOU BETTAH CHECK!"
"OKAY"
GTU wrote:There are so many concept versions of Bagan they could give him his own toyline. That's why I'm banking on a Monsterarts sub-line called SH Baganarts.

SuperPawnageGigan
G-Force Personnel

Post by SuperPawnageGigan »

Rebirth of Mothra 2: The undersea battle is my fav. I like the Temple scenes it kind of reminds me of an indiana jones movie. I love the underwater fight and Rainbow Leo is Colorful Floofy Cute. I love the wings on Rainbow Leo. Aqua Mothra is pretty cool. Dagahra looks cool i love the way he looks.
8-BIT MADNESS
2 Friends having a good time.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Interesting to see some love for ROM2. I don't get it, but diversity of opinions and tastes is part of what makes a fandom interesting. :-)
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I think ROM2(as with the trilogy as a whole) has some major flaws, but I do appreciate it for having an original monster, and unique settling. It’s not just another,”Mothra vs Ghidorah film”.

Plus, Dagara feels related more to the trilogies environmental message. While he’s no Hedorah, the concept of a monster making a red tide is cool.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

I also have a soft spot for ROM2. It's one of the worst toho kaiju films but I enjoy the setting and Dagahra is one of my favorite monsters. If only it wasn't such a disaster

Gothicserpent
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gothicserpent »

2 is goofy, but its really entertaining.
"HAY ANGUIRUS"
"WHADDA WANT?"
"SUMPTIN FUNNEH GOIN ON, YOU BETTAH CHECK!"
"OKAY"
GTU wrote:There are so many concept versions of Bagan they could give him his own toyline. That's why I'm banking on a Monsterarts sub-line called SH Baganarts.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

ROM3 is the only one that succeeds as a children’s film while still resembling passable entertainment for adults. I’d still rank it among my least favorite Toho tokusatsu films, mostly because there’s still a lot of “fat” that could have been trimmed, but I think it’s easily the best and most enjoyable of the series.

The first two have that horrible cliche from bad kiddie movies where adults have to act as clueless idiots to show that the children better comprehend whatever fantasy world they’re inhabiting. In ROM3, the adult characters simply act to ensure their children’s safety, which in turn ties in with the movie’s theme (that all of courage, wisdom, and hope are necessary to combat hatred and evil). Similarly, the children aren’t know-it-all’s or even very annoying as they had been in the previous films.

Speaking of themes, I think this is the only film in the series in which Masami Suetani’s theme is organically integrated into the plot. He does so by having each of the major characters make logical sacrifices that both develop their characters and move the plot. It’s not advanced storytelling but it’s better than his inadequate work on the first two films.

Another major problem with the first two entries is that the monster content is dull, unimaginative, and impenetrable, especially so for ROM1. While it’s no Toho tokusatsu masterpiece, at least the sfx scenes in ROM3 are brief enough that they don’t stop the movie altogether. I wonder if they realized after two films of the same stuff that it’s really hard to dynamically film a puppet slamming into a suited actor and make it appear dramatic; they mostly avoided that kind of monster “battling” in this one.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

ShinSludge71
Samurai

Post by ShinSludge71 »

Generally speaking from previous memories (I haven't seen any of the series in a while, maybe 6 years ago?) I remember specifically liking ROM3, mostly for some of the lore surrounding Mosura and Ghidorah; I personally love Leo and Grand King, both may not seem like much, but both of them have a lot of potential in future movies; I'd personally want to see Leo square off against the Big G and then with him against GKG.

Belvera (Evil Elias), I did kinda enjoy their presence alongwith the Garu Garu creature. I personally like to compare Garu Garu with the Dorats.

TL:DR - I enjoyed ROM3 more than the other 3 due to the amount of lore and potential introduced for the ROM universe.
ILL GREEN wrote:There's money to be made with a Hedorah bong.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Leo is my favorite Mothra design and I love Death Ghidorah so Rebirth 1 gets some love for that but Rebirth 3 is probably the best movie of the three.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Not trying to criticize anyone else's opinion but I'm surprised that the first film is as well-liked as it is. I think it's only marginally better than ROM2, maybe even a little worse altogether (only because I haven't watched the second movie in full in years).
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

Well, the first Rebirth movie has this scene in it https://youtu.be/76ubfmtd8xM

RoMIII is still my favorite though. It was the only real Ghidorah story before KotM came out. It's still to this day the most cunning, most devilish and otherworldly take on Ghidorah there is, and one of the best depictions of a villainous kaiju in all of film.
Last edited by Ivo-goji on Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Ivo-goji wrote:
RoMIII is still my favorite though. It was the only real Ghidorah story before KotM came out. It's still to this day the most cunning, most devilish and otherworldly take on Ghidorah there is, and one of the best depictions of a villainous kaiju in all of film.
The only real Ghidorah story? I don't think there is such thing since he's nearly as flexible as Godzilla.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:
Ivo-goji wrote:
The only real Ghidorah story? I don't think there is such thing since he's nearly as flexible as Godzilla.
So... you're A-Okay with hero Ghidorah? 'Cause that was just bad and blatant studio meddling.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:
Ivo-goji wrote:
I'm talking less about characterization and more about narrative importance. RoMIII and GKotM are the only return appearances where Ghidorah is the central antagonist and is acting on his own agency. In most of his other appearances he's being directed by someone else and/or is part of a group of other kaiju fighting Godzilla; they were stories with Ghidorah in them, but they weren't stories about Ghidorah.
Last edited by Ivo-goji on Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Ivo-goji wrote:Well, the first Rebirth movie has this scene in it https://youtu.be/76ubfmtd8xM
Good point, it’s a great and emotional scene, but it’s just one scene. The rest of the movie really bites.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

MM Raids Again wrote:
So... you're A-Okay with hero Ghidorah? 'Cause that was just bad and blatant studio meddling.
Never bothered me in GMK. I liked how they kept some religious undertones to his character, which was present with his first appearance, that's a more important part of King Ghidorah than him being good or bad in my opinion.
Ivo-goji wrote: I'm talking less about characterization and more about narrative importance. RoMIII and GKotM are the only return appearances where Ghidorah is the central antagonist and is acting on his own agency. In most of his other appearances he's being directed by someone else and/or is part of a group of other kaiju fighting Godzilla; they were stories with Ghidorah in them, but they weren't stories about Ghidorah.
Hm, yeah I can see that. Thanks for elaborating.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Ivo-goji wrote:I'm talking less about characterization and more about narrative importance. RoMIII and GKotM are the only return appearances where Ghidorah is the central antagonist and is acting on his own agency. In most of his other appearances he's being directed by someone else and/or is part of a group of other kaiju fighting Godzilla; they were stories with Ghidorah in them, but they weren't stories about Ghidorah.
You hinted at it when you mentioned "return appearances" but this is one of the faults in the constant rebooting that Toho has done since 1995. Ghidorah has the ability to be a tremendous recurring monster villain, more than what we saw in the Showa series. Every Ghidorah appearance since Zone Fighter fought him to a standstill has been a one and done in which a new version of the character is introduced.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

The third one easily. The first two just sort of plod along with overly long battles and annoying kids with the second being the worst. The third is really enjoyable. But all three films have great monster designs.