Monster Toy Spotlight #1: KING GHIDORAH (SHOWA)

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
expandkong
G-Force Personnel

Monster Toy Spotlight #1: KING GHIDORAH (SHOWA)

Post by expandkong »

Well I guess I'll start us off in this thread for now, the next can be in a different thread if people want that.

MONSTER SPOTLIGHT #1: KING GHIDORAH (SHOWA)

I thought I would start off the Spotlights with one of my favorite kaiju designs as well as one of my favorite figures that I have! Unfortunately I have a fairly small collection so I only have one figure to show off, but it is a pretty one!

Gigabrain Ghidorah!

Resized Image

I love almost everything about this figure! It is the perfect Ghidorah figure in my opinion! The only thing I sorta have against this figure is that I wish I had the original release!

Resized Image

Now the way that this will work is that if anyone has any figures of this design they want to show off they should do so! Even if the figure has already been shown off by someone else!
I hope this idea can go on for a while atleast! Also once the week of Spotlight is done, the person who has done the Spotlight will nominate another person to do the next spotlight!

Edit: Also discussing the design of the Kaiju itself would be welcomed!
Resized Image

Castellan Zilla
Keizer

Re: Monster spotlight thread!

Post by Castellan Zilla »

CCP/Max Toy Co. Exclusive King Ghidorah

Stumbled across this guy on eBay a few months ago. There are several colorways of this mold, but this one was at a price I could afford. While I would have preferred to have gotten one of the other colorways, I've grown to love the Bullmark like colorscheme of this variation. Regardless of the colors, I just love the sheer size and interesting pose this figure has. Not only that, this is the only Showa King Ghidorah in my collection. One of my most favorite pieces that I own currently.
I will explain slowly why you are wrong.

expandkong
G-Force Personnel

Post by expandkong »

Castellan Zilla wrote:CCP/Max Toy Co. Exclusive King Ghidorah

https://40.media.tumblr.com/daabcf6005e ... o1_540.png

https://41.media.tumblr.com/c705c1653e8 ... o3_540.png

https://41.media.tumblr.com/d102389bb64 ... o2_540.png

Stumbled across this guy on eBay a few months ago. There are several colorways of this mold, but this one was at a price I could afford. While I would have preferred to have gotten one of the other colorways, I've grown to love the Bullmark like colorscheme of this variation. Regardless of the colors, I just love the sheer size and interesting pose this figure has. Not only that, this is the only Showa King Ghidorah in my collection. One of my most favorite pieces that I own currently.
I really want to find a ccp ghidorah for a good price, but every one ive seen have been going for $500+
Resized Image

Castellan Zilla
Keizer

Post by Castellan Zilla »

I snagged mine for around 80 dollars shipped. I think the one I got is one of the less expensive ones you can find, but I've still seen it go for up to 200+. I simply lucked out on that auction.
I will explain slowly why you are wrong.

Creature22
EDF Instructor

Post by Creature22 »

Awesome thread idea. I love Showa Ghidorah (who doesn't?). The Gigabrain is incredible but prices are through the roof! The only figures of him that I have are a miniature Bullmark and...this one.
The Microman figure. It's actually better quality than the awful Godzilla it came with but the scale isn't very good with anything. That being said, there are wires in the neck that the heads can attach to, making it a very good figure if you were to do a stop motion animation with it. I should dig mine out and attempt that...

Mr. X
Keizer

Post by Mr. X »

The Showa Ghidorah is one of those characters I don't have much of. Behold, my sad Showa Ghidorah collection -

The aforementioned Microman Ghidorah. Probably the best of the Microman figures, though that isn't saying much at all. The little figure that goes inside is broken due to the fact that these figures suck ass. Still, it looks good enough on the outside. I don't like how the wings sag, though.

Then there's the Gashapon Ghidorah. Could use some more paint, but given its size and that it's a cheap little Gashapon, so that's okay. Sculpt is amazing. An excellent little figure.

I've been meaning to get the 8" Bandai for forever.
G2000 wrote:
2004Zilla wrote:May God have mercy on this site.
He's given up
2009MECHAGODZILLA wrote:
G2000 wrote:What about leeks? Can we post leeks?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... 3/Leek.jpg
http://orig02.deviantart.net/f900/f/201 ... 9nqjrv.png

Creature22
EDF Instructor

Post by Creature22 »

Mr. X wrote:The aforementioned Microman Ghidorah. Probably the best of the Microman figures, though that isn't saying much at all. The little figure that goes inside is broken due to the fact that these figures suck ass. Still, it looks good enough on the outside. I don't like how the wings sag, though.
My opinion as well... on the plus side, you can at least display it without having to depend on the Microman figure to hold everything in place. It has a good likeness as well but the Microman figures aren't something I would recommend.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Wish I had a Showa Ghidorah figure. Hope to nab a Gigabrain with my tax money. I had a chance at one a few weeks ago but had already dropped the money an Xplus GhidoGoji mere minutes earlier. Needless to say I was kinda pissed at myself. Not a whole lot in the way of Showa Ghidorah figures is there.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

I was going to pick up an original Bandai Showa KG at G-FEST this year, but I couldn't find one for a reasonable price.

Unfortunately all I had was this guy:

Resized Image

I say "was" because the poor thing somehow hardened over the years (these figures are made of a rubbery material) and instantly shattered a few years ago. All that's left is his headless, wingless torso.

Jomei
Futurian

Post by Jomei »

Mr. expandkong, maybe rename this thread to reflect its current Ghidorah status? Kind of the way they do it on the other board. Monster Spotlight #1: Showa King Ghidorah, or somethign.

Tsuburaya Productions Ghidorah here!

Pretty appealing figure. High on the stylization factor with lots of character in the faces and diminished wings that won't sag so much as many others.

My favorite Ghidorah, though, is the Pilot Ace.

Several degrees more accurate but still in a recognizably toy-like aura. One of the few Ghidorah figures I feel adequately captures the mane, and I also love the head sculpts.

Another colorway for good measure:
XxHeiseifanxX wrote:Can we lower age limit! There are TOO MANY HEISEI HATERS!!!
Thatguy4683 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:04 pmWhat? Is this a joke? What gonna on here?
♡ Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin!♡
Challenge me to a Pokémon battle

expandkong
G-Force Personnel

Post by expandkong »

Jomei wrote:Mr. expandkong, maybe rename this thread to reflect its current Ghidorah status? Kind of the way they do it on the other board. Monster Spotlight #1: Showa King Ghidorah, or somethign.

Tsuburaya Productions Ghidorah here!

http://40.media.tumblr.com/82df42390822 ... o1_500.jpg

Pretty appealing figure. High on the stylization factor with lots of character in the faces and diminished wings that won't sag so much as many others.

My favorite Ghidorah, though, is the Pilot Ace.

http://40.media.tumblr.com/02ef96b65304 ... 5_1280.png

Several degrees more accurate but still in a recognizably toy-like aura. One of the few Ghidorah figures I feel adequately captures the mane, and I also love the head sculpts.

Another colorway for good measure:
http://41.media.tumblr.com/121e2fd30b87 ... 3_1280.png
Changed the thread title! I have always wanted to get that Pilot Ace Ghidorah but it seems so hard to find nowadays
Resized Image

Kaijunator
Xilien Halfling

Re: Monster Toy Spotlight Thread #1: KING GHIDORAH (SHOWA)

Post by Kaijunator »

No X-Plus Ghidorah? Wow. How can we forget that terrible piece of crap?
If you have digital copy codes for movies you want to give away, I'll gladly take them! :)
Dillyziller wrote:Evangelion 4.0: This is (not) a joke

It opens with Shinji, Asuka, and Rei walking along the lifeless, red earth. Suddenly the ground begins to shake.
Godzilla bursts from the ground, killing the 3 pilots. Godzilla will then battle his newest opponent...
parental issues.
TitanoGoji16 wrote:"Do you think C-Rex and FeMUTO could make sweet love down by the fire and give birth to Gabara?"
Best song ever.
YouTube!

Jomei
Futurian

Post by Jomei »

Now, a Bullmark.

XxHeiseifanxX wrote:Can we lower age limit! There are TOO MANY HEISEI HATERS!!!
Thatguy4683 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:04 pmWhat? Is this a joke? What gonna on here?
♡ Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin!♡
Challenge me to a Pokémon battle

expandkong
G-Force Personnel

Post by expandkong »

Kaijunator wrote:No X-Plus Ghidorah? Wow. How can we forget that terrible piece of crap?
It was great, just very fragile.
Resized Image

TeddyBaragon
Samurai

Post by TeddyBaragon »

X-Plus King Ghidorah!

Resized Image

I love this guy!

Despite how often these broke during shipping, I got mine in one piece! And trust me, once you have this figure intact it looks amazing. It captures so much detail, and really stands tall above other figures. (The tips of its wing are higher than the Gigantic Burning Godzilla's head!) I find myself looking at it everyday, it's probably the most eye-catching figure in my collection.

Its scales are my favorite part, I simply adore the depth in their sculpt.

Resized Image

expandkong wrote:
Kaijunator wrote:No X-Plus Ghidorah? Wow. How can we forget that terrible piece of crap?
It was great, just very fragile.
That's by far its greatest flaw.
If you can get it in one piece, it's a beautiful piece.
If not for how often he arrives broken, I'd recommend it to those who can afford it just as much as the Gigabrain.
But, as it is, you have to be brave to get this figure.

expandkong
G-Force Personnel

Post by expandkong »

^ I still have a problem with the colour of the figure, it just seems too dark for some reason. I hope that all the issues get fixed for the bluefin reissue, if they are I would consider getting it. I would recommend everyone wanting this figure to wait for the bluefin reissue.

Edit: Also welcome to the boards!
Resized Image

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

Here are my own photos of my favorite KG figure (take a wild guess what that is :lol: )

GIANT CONDOR!!!!!!!! :shock:

"Someone kick me, kick me hard! We're stupid." - Corn on the cob eatin' Hippie (Godzilla vs Gigan)

KlenSeven
Interpol Agent

Post by KlenSeven »

This is one of my favorite small pieces.. pictures do not do it justice due to the nice use of transparency.. Anyway its the Artworks figure based on the art of Yuji Kaida. It depicts Ghidorah's birth from the fireball that emerged from the meteor in Ghidrah: the Three Headed Monster.

Resized Image

Here is the X-Plus Origins Chess Piece Cast Resin
Resized ImageResized Image

Zacca SD Ghidorah
Resized Image

Marmit Parababy Transparent Clear Version
Resized Image

Mr. X
Keizer

Re: Monster Toy Spotlight #1: KING GHIDORAH (SHOWA)

Post by Mr. X »

Split the threads and made everything look nice. :huge:

Here's a Ghidorah that I'd like to one day add to my collection -

CCP "Rainbow" Ghidorah. Inspired by the original Ghidorah colors.
G2000 wrote:
2004Zilla wrote:May God have mercy on this site.
He's given up
2009MECHAGODZILLA wrote:
G2000 wrote:What about leeks? Can we post leeks?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... 3/Leek.jpg
http://orig02.deviantart.net/f900/f/201 ... 9nqjrv.png

Noble Saber
Xilien Halfling

Re: Monster Toy Spotlight #1: KING GHIDORAH (SHOWA)

Post by Noble Saber »

Only Showa KG I got is the Gashapon, which, in turn, is also the only Gashapon I have. Really nice figure, the thing. The sculpting on the scales is incredible for such a small thing. Plus it was one of the first Godzilla toys I had gotten, and I have nostalgia towards the figure.