Talkback Thread #19: Godzilla vs. Mothra (1992)

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Re: Talkback Thread #19: Godzilla vs. Mothra (1992)

Post by Giga Kaiju »

"THE EARTH WANTS ITS REVENGE, DOES IT? FINE WITH ME! I DON'T CARE...! I DON'T CARE... I DON'T CAAAAARE...!!!"

That was always one of the amusing parts in the movie. :P
UNSTOPPABLE FURY. UNTHINKABLE POWER. UNBREAKABLE WILL.
tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to bitch about, then tangent onto something unrelated and bitch about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can bitch some more. It's the circle of life.

GodzillaRangerPrime
JXSDF Technician

Post by GodzillaRangerPrime »

Jeez, reading this thread made me realize this movie is shittier than I already thought it was, which are most of the Takao Okawara directed ones.
Chris55 wrote:
Underworld54 wrote:
GalacticPetey wrote:They're not half-assing the Star Wars movies.
I very much consider TFA to be half-assed. What a generic film which only fed on nostalgia, it brought nothing new to the table.
That's not true. C3PO had a red arm.

Israha
Monarch Researcher

Post by Israha »

Kaijugriffey wrote:I think this is the one Heisei movie I go back to the least (well excluding G1985/Godzilla Returns which I don't have a copy of) . I just find the Heisei GvM kind of dull. Not bad. Not unwatchable. Not stupid. Just not real exciting. The puppet nature of Mothra and Battra make the final fight look like something from the It's a Small World Disney ride.
Exactly my opinion. One word that sums this movie perfectly is "uninspired". Nothing is particularly wrong with it, it just doesn't bring anything special on the table. Only thing that stands out for me are Battra Larva scenes, those are entertaining. Adult Battra, on the other hand, feels as generic and uninspired as the whole movie.

This, however, applies to a certain extent for all Okawara G movies, with exception of G vs. Destoroyah.

Godzilla Lover101
Gotengo Officer

Post by Godzilla Lover101 »

For all the good Battra brings to the film, it's still pretty awful. I haven't watched it in some time, and their is a good reason why. Godzilla vs King Ghidorah and vs Mechagodzilla though, I've seen them in their entirety a number of times.
America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Kaiser
G-Force Personnel

Post by Kaiser »

Israha wrote:
Kaijugriffey wrote:I think this is the one Heisei movie I go back to the least (well excluding G1985/Godzilla Returns which I don't have a copy of) . I just find the Heisei GvM kind of dull. Not bad. Not unwatchable. Not stupid. Just not real exciting. The puppet nature of Mothra and Battra make the final fight look like something from the It's a Small World Disney ride.
Exactly my opinion. One word that sums this movie perfectly is "uninspired". Nothing is particularly wrong with it, it just doesn't bring anything special on the table. Only thing that stands out for me are Battra Larva scenes, those are entertaining.
This perfectly sums up my feelings regarding the film. It's not bad the same way SpaceGodzilla is, but it just feels like a sort of paint-by-numbers production that left me feeling like "surely there's a better way to have done this" multiple times while watching it. This makes it frustrating because there's a good movie lurking under the mediocrity that just needed a little more polishing to make it great.

I also agree with you on the Battra larva scenes. The attack on Nagoya has the best special effects work of the entire film aside from the eruption of Mt. Fuji and really gives Battra a sense of menace. Too bad he only shows up two more times in the movie.

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

Battra is easily one of the few things that I liked about the movie. The concept of him, his appearance, abilities, and with the exclusion of his roar, he was a great kaiju to add to the Mothra (and in extense, Godzilla) mythology.
UNSTOPPABLE FURY. UNTHINKABLE POWER. UNBREAKABLE WILL.
tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to bitch about, then tangent onto something unrelated and bitch about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can bitch some more. It's the circle of life.

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

"Maskaooooooooooooo!" I just realized everybody at the beginning yells like they've been stubbed in the toe :lol: .
Godzilla

Johnny Danger
Samurai

Post by Johnny Danger »

Rather than starting a new thread, I’ll just ask this here… I’m writing a story which takes place after the Heisei series, does anyone remember if it is stated in this film how long Mothra will be in outer space completing Battra’s mission, and if so, how long?

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Johnny Danger wrote:Rather than starting a new thread, I’ll just ask this here… I’m writing a story which takes place after the Heisei series, does anyone remember if it is stated in this film how long Mothra will be in outer space completing Battra’s mission, and if so, how long?
Nope

KaijuDuke
G-Force Personnel

Post by KaijuDuke »

Johnny Danger wrote:Rather than starting a new thread, I’ll just ask this here… I’m writing a story which takes place after the Heisei series, does anyone remember if it is stated in this film how long Mothra will be in outer space completing Battra’s mission, and if so, how long?
I believe it was said the meteor was going to hit the earth in 1999 if Mothra didn't intercept it first, so she should be gone from earth for quite some time in that timeline (she's be back by now I imagine lol), which I'm sure was the filmmakers intent to explain why Mothra doesn't intervene during every giant monster attack for the rest of the Heisei Godzilla series despite being an earth guardian, she's too busy traveling through deep space.

Johnny Danger
Samurai

Post by Johnny Danger »

KaijuDuke wrote:
I believe it was said the meteor was going to hit the earth in 1999 if Mothra didn't intercept it first, so she should be gone from earth for quite some time in that timeline (she's be back by now I imagine lol), which I'm sure was the filmmakers intent to explain why Mothra doesn't intervene during every giant monster attack for the rest of the Heisei Godzilla series despite being an earth guardian, she's too busy traveling through deep space.
That's the problem I'm facing in my story, ha! It takes place between 2005-2008, so surely she'd be back by now...need to come up with a good reason for her not to get involved....or figure out a way to work her in. Hmm...

KaijuDuke
G-Force Personnel

Post by KaijuDuke »

Johnny Danger wrote:
KaijuDuke wrote:
That's the problem I'm facing in my story, ha! It takes place between 2005-2008, so surely she'd be back by now...need to come up with a good reason for her not to get involved....or figure out a way to work her in. Hmm...

She could get lost on the way back or perhaps she comes face to face with an alien threat of some sort that delays her return, or even have her be captured by said invaders.

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

Here's the famous suspension bridge bickering sequence in 9 different versions:

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

Can anybody explain why there is a old rickity bridge on that island in the first place?
Godzilla

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

g2vd wrote:Can anybody explain why there is a old rickity bridge on that island in the first place?
The Cosmos built it, it's explained in the original Japanese version
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

Really? I have watched the original Japanese version many times and never heard them say that they built it.

But even than why is it so freaking BIG! And how is it still around it? should be thousands of years old!
Godzilla

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

g2vd wrote:Can anybody explain why there is a old rickity bridge on that island in the first place?
A wizard did it. Or maybe the old man from Gamera vs. Zigra built it so he could do impressions of the old man from scene 24's bridge toll mantra.

Rodan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Rodan »

What the hell is going on in that (aggressively badly dubbed) Thai version? Did they leave in the original screams under the looped ones? Holy shit.

jackzilla
Interpol Agent

Post by jackzilla »

I haven't seen this one in a couple years, I think the last time I watched it was in May 2014 for my Godzilla-Thon I did leading up to G14, but I remember liking it. I've only seen it twice though. I remember the pretty cool monster fight at the end with Battra and Mothra vs Godzilla. Though given some of the more negative reviews I'm seeing, I may need to give this one a rewatch and see if I still like it.
LONG LIVE THE KING

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

Space Hunter M wrote:Here's the famous suspension bridge bickering sequence in 9 different versions:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x238FEO224M
That Thai version..my God.
Godzilla