Talkback Thread #2: Godzilla Raids Again (1955)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Goji
Kwaidan

Re: Talkback Thread #2: Godzilla Raids Again (1955)

Postby Goji » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:05 am

People always refer to Gigantis as "the dub". It's a full fledged, American version of the film; just like Godzilla King of the Monsters! before it, and John Beck's version of King Kong vs. Godzilla.

Space Hunter M
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Space Hunter M » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:14 am

Goji wrote:just like Godzilla King of the Monsters! before it, and John Beck's version of King Kong vs. Godzilla.

"I am an Edit, like my father before me."
TK's only diehard RMA King Arthur series historian
"All you did was download the ROMs anyway! You can hardly call yourself a real fan!"

I THINK IT STINKS!
SuperMonsterZero wrote:Mire Goji. That must be the Godzilla from the Italian Dogora poster.

ImageImageImage
"Follow the light. The light is your guide."
"Cherenkov light?"

ก็อตซิลลา
哥吉拉

Follow me on the tumblebox

Pkmatrix
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Pkmatrix » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:36 am

Space Hunter M wrote:The longest Gigantis goes without some kind of visual edit is 5 minutes, actually.

Really? It's been years since I last watched Gigantis, ever since Classic Media released the Japanese version I never went back to the American. I didn't realize it was so extensively altered.

(Then again, I'm right now trying to reconstructed the US version of Rodan from the Japanese cut and have been amazed at how many little changes they made just within the first five minutes!)

Israha
Yin-Yang Master

Postby Israha » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:17 pm

Thanks for response. Bought a DVD with Japanese cut a couple months ago, guess I'm gonna have to watch it, maybe I'll change opinion on my least favourite Showa movie.

Stevo_1985
JXSDF Technician

Postby Stevo_1985 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:58 pm

Israha wrote:Thanks for response. Bought a DVD with Japanese cut a couple months ago, guess I'm gonna have to watch it, maybe I'll change opinion on my least favourite Showa movie.

Least fav showa movie? Ouch. Worse then GR?

Sorry Kiryu
#Notmymechagodzilla

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Giga Kaiju » Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:18 pm

So, yeah, Gigantis is the one we can agree that is just terrible. The GRA version (original) is at least slightly better than the dub version.
UNSTOPPABLE FURY. UNTHINKABLE POWER. UNBREAKABLE WILL.

tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!

Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to skreeonk about, then tangent onto something unrelated and skreeonk about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can skreeonk some more. It's the circle of life.

Space Hunter M
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Space Hunter M » Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:26 pm

Giga Kaiju wrote:Gigantis is the one we can agree that is just terrible.

Or you could unironically enjoy both like me.
TK's only diehard RMA King Arthur series historian
"All you did was download the ROMs anyway! You can hardly call yourself a real fan!"

I THINK IT STINKS!
SuperMonsterZero wrote:Mire Goji. That must be the Godzilla from the Italian Dogora poster.

ImageImageImage
"Follow the light. The light is your guide."
"Cherenkov light?"

ก็อตซิลลา
哥吉拉

Follow me on the tumblebox

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Giga Kaiju » Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:33 pm

Space Hunter M wrote:

Well, then again, I'm that kind of guy that enjoys EVERY Godzilla movie in some level, and that is not exception. Is just that some people may find it bad and that's fine, but IMO, I don't see the point of calling them so, and that's that. Not even seeing it with a different mindset like you or me and some other people do. :P

tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!

Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to skreeonk about, then tangent onto something unrelated and skreeonk about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can skreeonk some more. It's the circle of life.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Postby Lain Of The Wired » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:51 pm

Space Hunter M wrote:

There's nothing wrong with that, the Japanese version is slow IMO, but I can watch it and get some enjoyment out of it alright. If it makes any sense, the fact that it's B&W really adds to the enjoyment of it.
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

Legion1979
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby Legion1979 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:53 am

I don't mind the Japanese version. It was only Toho's second giant monster film, and they were still finding their way. I can't really be too hard on it.

Israha
Yin-Yang Master

Postby Israha » Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:38 pm

Stevo_1985 wrote:
Israha wrote:Thanks for response. Bought a DVD with Japanese cut a couple months ago, guess I'm gonna have to watch it, maybe I'll change opinion on my least favourite Showa movie.

Least fav showa movie? Ouch. Worse then GR?

Heh, you got me on this one. I keep forgetting that abomination of a movie even exists, watched it once and never came back to it. So GRA is my second least favourite...

Stevo_1985
JXSDF Technician

Postby Stevo_1985 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:45 pm

Israha wrote:
Heh, you got me on this one. I keep forgetting that abomination of a movie even exists, watched it once and never came back to it. So GRA is my second least favourite...

Yes, yes it does. I have a copy. Just for the sake of having a complete set. Its still in the factory shrink wrap.

Sorry Kiryu
#Notmymechagodzilla

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Giga Kaiju » Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:47 pm

Lain Of The Wired wrote:
Space Hunter M wrote:

There's nothing wrong with that, the Japanese version is slow IMO, but I can watch it and get some enjoyment out of it alright. If it makes any sense, the fact that it's B&W really adds to the enjoyment of it.

It kind of does. Some classic way of seeing it. :)

edgaguirus
E.S.P.Spy

Postby edgaguirus » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:04 pm

I was watching this last night. It's slow in the middle, but the kaiju are handled well. Anguirus's body language really reads into the character. It clearly reads as an overly agressive monster.
Kaiju are just like people- giant, radioactive people.

Megalon went into a bar and saw Gigan. Megalon said, " Again? I thought you gave this up."
" What can I say," Gigan asked. " I'm hooked."

LazerWhale
G-Grasper

Postby LazerWhale » Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:06 pm

I suppose that this is the best place to ask, so, is this movie worth a purchase?
It's cheap on amazon, and I wondered if it's something worth having.
Lazer's Art Thread:http://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=21430&view=viewpoll
My DeviantArt: http://lazerwhale.deviantart.com/
Just because someone likes something you don't, don't treat them poorly for it.
But,
Just because someone doesn't like something you do, don't treat them poorly for it, either.

Lest We Forget

UltramanGoji
Bad Hombre

Postby UltramanGoji » Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:24 pm

LazerWhale wrote:I suppose that this is the best place to ask, so, is this movie worth a purchase?

All the Godzilla movies are worth having, even if you think they're the worst in the franchise.

LazerWhale
G-Grasper

Postby LazerWhale » Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:32 pm

UltramanGoji wrote:
LazerWhale wrote:I suppose that this is the best place to ask, so, is this movie worth a purchase?

All the Godzilla movies are worth having, even if you think they're the worst in the franchise.

Okay, guess that question would kind of lead to that answer no matter what. Thanks, though.
Lazer's Art Thread:http://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=21430&view=viewpoll
But,
Just because someone doesn't like something you do, don't treat them poorly for it, either.

Lest We Forget

UltramanGoji
Bad Hombre

Postby UltramanGoji » Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:42 pm

LazerWhale wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:

Okay, guess that question would kind of lead to that answer no matter what. Thanks, though.

It's not as bad as everybody makes it out to be. It's an above-average 50's B-movie. Not one of the best in the franchise, but a lot better than it seems.

Also, the DVD has some great commentary and featurettes. I'd definitely recommend it, especially if it's dirt cheap.

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Giga Kaiju » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:03 pm

If you want to get it, do so. It is worth watching even if a couple of times. Or hell, to be able to see it is good enough reason.

It is considered one of the worst, in comparison sure, but it is not downright unwatchable.

LazerWhale
G-Grasper

Postby LazerWhale » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:15 pm

I was considering getting it simply for the privilage of seeing what is, to my knowledge, the very first true cinematic kaiju fight within the genre. It's a historical moment, of sorts.
But,

Lest We Forget

Return to “Showa Series (1930's-1970's)”