Talkback Thread #2: Godzilla Raids Again (1955)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Re: Talkback Thread #2: Godzilla Raids Again (1955)

Postby Giga Kaiju » Sat Sep 12, 2015 4:28 pm

The buildup to the battle and itself were great in the movie. That part where people were just hearing that Godzilla and Anguirus were coming to the city was alright.
UNSTOPPABLE FURY. UNTHINKABLE POWER. UNBREAKABLE WILL.

tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!

Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to skreeonk about, then tangent onto something unrelated and skreeonk about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can skreeonk some more. It's the circle of life.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Keizer

Postby Tyrant_Lizard_King » Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:53 pm

The one thing I do love about it is the fact it is maybe the only film in the entire franchise to show things from the perspective of everyday ordinary people. Unlike practically all kaiju film protagonists they aren't soldiers, or reporters, or scientists. They're simple everyday working stiffs like you or me. Its an approach that is sadly and severely lacking in the franchise. There's also a rather creepy/otherworldy atmosphere to it (similar to Rodan in some aspects where again the main characters are mostly ordinary men and women. A combination Ford in G14, Akane in Mechagodzilla, and Kiriko in Megaguirus really made me realize how sick I am becoming of military leads in these kinds of films. Doesn't help that most of them have been flat and lifeless in recent years. Gigantis took a direction that I'd really love to see taken again.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, of you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Rodan
Futurian

Postby Rodan » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:44 am

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:The one thing I do love about it is the fact it is maybe the only film in the entire franchise to show things from the perspective of everyday ordinary people. Unlike practically all kaiju film protagonists they aren't soldiers, or reporters, or scientists. They're simple everyday working stiffs like you or me. Its an approach that is sadly and severely lacking in the franchise. There's also a rather creepy/otherworldy atmosphere to it (similar to Rodan in some aspects where again the main characters are mostly ordinary men and women. A combination Ford in G14, Akane in Mechagodzilla, and Kiriko in Megaguirus really made me realize how sick I am becoming of military leads in these kinds of films. Doesn't help that most of them have been flat and lifeless in recent years. Gigantis took a direction that I'd really love to see taken again.

Yes. Yes, yes, yes. That only started happening after the Showa era too, though the Showa era is fond of reporters and scientists as characters with jobs tangentially related to the action (I'll always take a reporter character, so I'm on board there).

Anyway, I also enjoy Raids Again for that aspect, as well as for the fact that it's the last Showa film to adapt a truly grim take on events (more an artifact of where the rest of the series went than a real strength of this film, but it still affects re-watches). It's definitely Godzilla by of standard '50s B-movie, but it's a good enough time. The characters are likable and realistic, and while I know some feel it's too languid, I think the pacing works fairly well. The artistic ambitions are gone, from the script to the cinematography, but what's here is a serviceable, somber monster movie. It's not as good as Rodan in that regard, but it's not that far off either.

Raids Again falls into the upper half of my series ranking.

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Giga Kaiju » Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:05 pm

Sadly it is regarded as one of the worst films in the series by many, but I wouldn't say that exactly considering those facts mentioned above. The relatable protagonists, the feel of danger that the monsters give off, considering that is a sequel to Gojira aids that, and the mission of urgency (sort of) that the characters have to deal with them. The movie MAY have bad things going for it, but it also has some good that are mostly overlooked, for better or for worse, depending on the person seeing the movie.

tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!

Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to skreeonk about, then tangent onto something unrelated and skreeonk about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can skreeonk some more. It's the circle of life.

Stevo_1985
JXSDF Technician

Postby Stevo_1985 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:01 pm

i dont think this one is as bad as alot of people say. I quite enjoy it.

Sorry Kiryu
#Notmymechagodzilla

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Keizer

Postby Tyrant_Lizard_King » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:30 pm

Rodan wrote:(I'll always take a reporter character, so I'm on board there)

Yeah I'm really hoping that's the route Gareth and Co go in Godzilla 2.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!

edgaguirus
E.S.P.Spy

Postby edgaguirus » Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:17 pm

We also get a glimpse of how these kaiju events effect people's lives. We see employees picking up the pieces and finding new jobs/places in life. This is possibly the only Godzilla film to show this aspect.
Kaiju are just like people- giant, radioactive people.

Megalon went into a bar and saw Gigan. Megalon said, " Again? I thought you gave this up."
" What can I say," Gigan asked. " I'm hooked."

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Giga Kaiju » Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:32 pm

So, yeah, if you think about it, it did some good actually if it is regarded as a bad movie. Last time I saw the film, I noticed those elements, edgaguirus and was not dissapointed.

The music may be a little repetitive after a while but it was alright.

NSZ
Good Hombre

Postby NSZ » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:07 pm

Y'know, I used to regard this entry as one of the worst the franchise has to offer, but it's actually been growing on me.

Still not too big on the orchestral score, though.
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Keizer

Postby Tyrant_Lizard_King » Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:12 pm

Another thing that stands out to me is that it's about the only film to have a monster battle where both creatures are portrayed in an purely antagonistic light.

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Giga Kaiju » Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:32 pm

^ Oh yeah. There' arent exactly that many. You could say that in the series there are, but I think that's more of a change of the situation where the characters support one monster or something, so yeah.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Keizer

Postby Tyrant_Lizard_King » Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:00 am

Yeah many films one kaiju or the other may not be exactly good or bad but very clearly in an antagonistic and protagonistic roles. Like G14, Godzilla 2000, or Megaguirus. Like G14 for example Godzilla is treated in an antihero role but is still very clearly presented as the one you're supposed to root for.

szmigiel
Interpol Agent

Postby szmigiel » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:32 am

Godzilla Raids Again follows a similar 3 Act structure to Godzilla. The fight between Godzilla and Anguirus happens in the 2nd Act, same Act as Godzilla's rampage through Tokyo in the last movie. The 3rd Act climax is all about the defeat of the kaiju. After King Kong Vs. Godzilla the monster fight is always the climax of the film.

I do wonder if the people that hate the film have only seen the dub? Or have they watched the uncut original? The Gigantis version is horrible. The uncut version isn't as bad, but it isn't a classic either.

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Giga Kaiju » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:04 pm

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Yeah many films one kaiju or the other may not be exactly good or bad but very clearly in an antagonistic and protagonistic roles. Like G14, Godzilla 2000, or Megaguirus. Like G14 for example Godzilla is treated in an antihero role but is still very clearly presented as the one you're supposed to root for.

Exactly. In those movies, Godzilla is treated as a threat or someone not to mess with, technically, but is supposedly someone that you root for in the movie basis and plot. Unlike here, where BOTH monsters are BAD news and savage and you don't want anyone to succeed in destroying everything as they intend too most likely. (If do with Godzilla, then that's a different thing, as familiarity and such but not exactly like the other cases)

szmigiel wrote: I do wonder if the people that hate the film have only seen the dub? Or have they watched the uncut original? The Gigantis version is horrible. The uncut version isn't as bad, but it isn't a classic either.

The dub, is what I understand to not like but not the ORIGINAL version. I saw first the dub when I was younger and got bored through it all. But then a couple of years back, I saw the original for the first time, and I was fond to it. Not perfect, but not horrible as anyone makes it seem to be. Just okayish.

edgaguirus
E.S.P.Spy

Postby edgaguirus » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:23 pm

The original does work better, but I think the Gigantis music score is better. The Kronos theme has more of a sense of horror.
Kaiju are just like people- giant, radioactive people.

Megalon went into a bar and saw Gigan. Megalon said, " Again? I thought you gave this up."
" What can I say," Gigan asked. " I'm hooked."

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Postby Lain Of The Wired » Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:26 am

It's really not one of my favorites, I find that its pacing really slow, and I'm not a fan of the goofy, slim-fast Godzilla suit, or its big, goofy eyes. The fight is hyper sped up and it makes the battle look really odd.
And god, Gigantis is a joke :lol:
All in all, Godzilla Raids Again feels like the American B movie version of a Godzilla film, and I'm just not a fan
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

Israha
Yin-Yang Master

Postby Israha » Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:22 am

Is the Japanese version really THAT much different from the US one? While reading this thread, I realized that I've only seen Gigantis, and not the O.G. cut. But I don't really see how three minutes of additional time can make any significant difference...

szmigiel
Interpol Agent

Postby szmigiel » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:18 am

Israha wrote:Is the Japanese version really THAT much different from the US one? While reading this thread, I realized that I've only seen Gigantis, and not the O.G. cut. But I don't really see how three minutes of additional time can make any significant difference...

To me it is like night and day.
The tone is different, the characters come off more serious and less goofy, and since I am enjoy it more I feel the pace is better.
Don't get me wrong the movie still has issues, but over all it is a better film in the uncut version.

For me Godzilla Raids Again and King Kong Vs. Godzilla US version are both terrible compare to the original Japanese version.
Godzilla King of the Monster is not as good as the original, but still a good adaption. I always recommend people still watch both.

Pkmatrix
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Pkmatrix » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:54 am

Israha wrote:Is the Japanese version really THAT much different from the US one? While reading this thread, I realized that I've only seen Gigantis, and not the O.G. cut. But I don't really see how three minutes of additional time can make any significant difference...

Adjusting the tone, soundtrack, and a few scenes can sometimes be EVERYTHING in determining whether or not one version or another will be better. In GRA's case, while there weren't dramatic changes made to the plot or the order of scenes, the changes they did make bring the movie down. For me, the biggest issue with the U.S. version is the narration, something invented for that version and not in the original Japanese cut.

Space Hunter M
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Space Hunter M » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:58 am

The longest Gigantis goes without some kind of visual edit is 5 minutes, actually.
TK's only diehard RMA King Arthur series historian
"All you did was download the ROMs anyway! You can hardly call yourself a real fan!"

I THINK IT STINKS!
SuperMonsterZero wrote:Mire Goji. That must be the Godzilla from the Italian Dogora poster.

ImageImageImage
"Follow the light. The light is your guide."
"Cherenkov light?"

ก็อตซิลลา
哥吉拉

Follow me on the tumblebox

Return to “Showa Series (1930's-1970's)”