Talkback Thread #2: Godzilla Raids Again (1955)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
edgaguirus
Keizer

Re: Talkback Thread #2: Godzilla Raids Again (1955)

Post by edgaguirus »

We also get a glimpse of how these kaiju events effect people's lives. We see employees picking up the pieces and finding new jobs/places in life. This is possibly the only Godzilla film to show this aspect.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

So, yeah, if you think about it, it did some good actually if it is regarded as a bad movie. Last time I saw the film, I noticed those elements, edgaguirus and was not dissapointed.

The music may be a little repetitive after a while but it was alright.
UNSTOPPABLE FURY. UNTHINKABLE POWER. UNBREAKABLE WILL.
tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to bitch about, then tangent onto something unrelated and bitch about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can bitch some more. It's the circle of life.

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

Y'know, I used to regard this entry as one of the worst the franchise has to offer, but it's actually been growing on me.

Still not too big on the orchestral score, though.
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Another thing that stands out to me is that it's about the only film to have a monster battle where both creatures are portrayed in an purely antagonistic light.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

^ Oh yeah. There' arent exactly that many. You could say that in the series there are, but I think that's more of a change of the situation where the characters support one monster or something, so yeah.
tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to bitch about, then tangent onto something unrelated and bitch about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can bitch some more. It's the circle of life.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Yeah many films one kaiju or the other may not be exactly good or bad but very clearly in an antagonistic and protagonistic roles. Like G14, Godzilla 2000, or Megaguirus. Like G14 for example Godzilla is treated in an antihero role but is still very clearly presented as the one you're supposed to root for.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

Godzilla Raids Again follows a similar 3 Act structure to Godzilla. The fight between Godzilla and Anguirus happens in the 2nd Act, same Act as Godzilla's rampage through Tokyo in the last movie. The 3rd Act climax is all about the defeat of the kaiju. After King Kong Vs. Godzilla the monster fight is always the climax of the film.

I do wonder if the people that hate the film have only seen the dub? Or have they watched the uncut original? The Gigantis version is horrible. The uncut version isn't as bad, but it isn't a classic either.

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Yeah many films one kaiju or the other may not be exactly good or bad but very clearly in an antagonistic and protagonistic roles. Like G14, Godzilla 2000, or Megaguirus. Like G14 for example Godzilla is treated in an antihero role but is still very clearly presented as the one you're supposed to root for.
Exactly. In those movies, Godzilla is treated as a threat or someone not to mess with, technically, but is supposedly someone that you root for in the movie basis and plot. Unlike here, where BOTH monsters are BAD news and savage and you don't want anyone to succeed in destroying everything as they intend too most likely. (If do with Godzilla, then that's a different thing, as familiarity and such but not exactly like the other cases)
szmigiel wrote: I do wonder if the people that hate the film have only seen the dub? Or have they watched the uncut original? The Gigantis version is horrible. The uncut version isn't as bad, but it isn't a classic either.
The dub, is what I understand to not like but not the ORIGINAL version. I saw first the dub when I was younger and got bored through it all. But then a couple of years back, I saw the original for the first time, and I was fond to it. Not perfect, but not horrible as anyone makes it seem to be. Just okayish.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

The original does work better, but I think the Gigantis music score is better. The Kronos theme has more of a sense of horror.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

It's really not one of my favorites, I find that its pacing really slow, and I'm not a fan of the goofy, slim-fast Godzilla suit, or its big, goofy eyes. The fight is hyper sped up and it makes the battle look really odd.
And god, Gigantis is a joke :lol:
All in all, Godzilla Raids Again feels like the American B movie version of a Godzilla film, and I'm just not a fan
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

Israha
Monarch Researcher

Post by Israha »

Is the Japanese version really THAT much different from the US one? While reading this thread, I realized that I've only seen Gigantis, and not the O.G. cut. But I don't really see how three minutes of additional time can make any significant difference...

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

Israha wrote:Is the Japanese version really THAT much different from the US one? While reading this thread, I realized that I've only seen Gigantis, and not the O.G. cut. But I don't really see how three minutes of additional time can make any significant difference...
To me it is like night and day.
The tone is different, the characters come off more serious and less goofy, and since I am enjoy it more I feel the pace is better.
Don't get me wrong the movie still has issues, but over all it is a better film in the uncut version.

For me Godzilla Raids Again and King Kong Vs. Godzilla US version are both terrible compare to the original Japanese version.
Godzilla King of the Monster is not as good as the original, but still a good adaption. I always recommend people still watch both.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

Israha wrote:Is the Japanese version really THAT much different from the US one? While reading this thread, I realized that I've only seen Gigantis, and not the O.G. cut. But I don't really see how three minutes of additional time can make any significant difference...
Adjusting the tone, soundtrack, and a few scenes can sometimes be EVERYTHING in determining whether or not one version or another will be better. In GRA's case, while there weren't dramatic changes made to the plot or the order of scenes, the changes they did make bring the movie down. For me, the biggest issue with the U.S. version is the narration, something invented for that version and not in the original Japanese cut.

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

The longest Gigantis goes without some kind of visual edit is 5 minutes, actually.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

People always refer to Gigantis as "the dub". It's a full fledged, American version of the film; just like Godzilla King of the Monsters! before it, and John Beck's version of King Kong vs. Godzilla.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

Goji wrote:just like Godzilla King of the Monsters! before it, and John Beck's version of King Kong vs. Godzilla.
"I am an Edit, like my father before me."

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

Space Hunter M wrote:The longest Gigantis goes without some kind of visual edit is 5 minutes, actually.
Really? It's been years since I last watched Gigantis, ever since Classic Media released the Japanese version I never went back to the American. I didn't realize it was so extensively altered.

(Then again, I'm right now trying to reconstructed the US version of Rodan from the Japanese cut and have been amazed at how many little changes they made just within the first five minutes!)

Israha
Monarch Researcher

Post by Israha »

Thanks for response. Bought a DVD with Japanese cut a couple months ago, guess I'm gonna have to watch it, maybe I'll change opinion on my least favourite Showa movie.

Stevo_1985
JXSDF Technician

Post by Stevo_1985 »

Israha wrote:Thanks for response. Bought a DVD with Japanese cut a couple months ago, guess I'm gonna have to watch it, maybe I'll change opinion on my least favourite Showa movie.

Least fav showa movie? Ouch. Worse then GR?

Sorry Kiryu
#Notmymechagodzilla

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

So, yeah, Gigantis is the one we can agree that is just terrible. The GRA version (original) is at least slightly better than the dub version.