Monster(?) Discussion: Godzilla Tower

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Monster(?) Discussion: Godzilla Tower

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Okay, this is a but odd but I consider the Godzilla Tower a monster and an underrated one at that. Really it's a stationary mech. It plays a surprisingly big role in Godzilla vs Gigan yet I don't see it referenced that much. It's laser beam thing was incredibly powerful and nearly killed Showa Godzilla. It's also a pretty outlandish and crazy idea, I like it.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

SpaceG92
Keizer

Re: Monster(?) Discussion: Godzilla Tower

Post by SpaceG92 »

I absolutely love this thing. Its a weird idea, but something about it (maybe the dopey face?) kinda pulls it all together, Not to mention its one of the few things that managed to keep Godzilla pinned down for an extensive period of time. I only wish it had more merchandise for it.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I love the idea of the Tower's 'official' purpose: a museum devoted to kaiju, actually housed inside a building shaped like a life-sized Godzilla. Some rich fan needs to make this thing a reality, one of these days. Fill it up with movie posters, prop and suit replicas, maybe a small theater for screening the movies, the ultimate kaiju gift shop, etc. It could be pretty danged glorious.

Hell, Toho might even let it happen, now that they're so interested in promoting Godzilla with stuff like that hotel, or making him an official citizen of Japan. With enough media coverage, it would definitely make them some money. It's about the best possible way to get kids in theaters for the new movies, too.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

It would make a fine attraction.

The tower was an effective weapon and base of operations. I think most of us here would love to have a base shaped like Godzilla. I don't see it as much of a mech, though. It was a fortress disguised as a museum disguised as Godzilla. Just imagine if the JSDF had adopted the idea: Godzilla towers at points along the coast, all armed with the latest weapons.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

It was one of the best set pieces of the 70s films and personally I love it. It's just such a cool idea and interesting base of operations. Would love to be able to find the Marmit Godzilla Tower.

Gojira1963
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira1963 »

I find the idea of a Godzilla tower bizarre. Maybe in the continuity of that film Godzilla was benevolent but in the scope of things Godzilla is a giant monster that caused many deaths and destruction of buildings. So to build a tower modeled after him as part of an amusement park seems a bit morbid.
Liam F.

My science fiction/Fantasy blog. with Godzilla content! http://foleyfunfilmfacts.wordpress.com/

Mechagigan
Futurian

Post by Mechagigan »

Gojira1963 wrote:I find the idea of a Godzilla tower bizarre. Maybe in the continuity of that film Godzilla was benevolent but in the scope of things Godzilla is a giant monster that caused many deaths and destruction of buildings. So to build a tower modeled after him as part of an amusement park seems a bit morbid.
And meanwhile, Children flock towards Gamera, even right after he tore apart and likely killed many citizens of Tokyo and Fujisawa.

The world of Kaiju is a strange and convoluted place.

Toxic Toast
Monsterland Worker

Post by Toxic Toast »

The place needs to be looked at by health inspectors, I think it's got a bug problem.
Mothra's promise: "As long as you remain friends of the the Earth, then Mothra will remain your ally."

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

They're going to need a bigger can of Raid.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

Creature22
EDF Instructor

Post by Creature22 »

I loved seeing this thing get trashed at the end of Godzilla vs Gigan as a kid. There's something satisfying about Godzilla breaking buildings... but Godzilla breaking buildings that look like Godzilla is something else. :lol:

Missingno.
G-Grasper

Post by Missingno. »

I consider this more of a mech, but it was very interesting in that it was meant to be the center of attention in a Godzilla-themed park, but was actually a disguised tool of destruction that seemed rather effective against Godzilla.

I move that they build one of these in real life, as tall as it was in the film. That would beat the Godzilla hotel by a landslide.
TK's resident other 1980's fan who longs for that decade's return, and severe weather fanatic.
LSD Jellyfish wrote:WOW WHAT HONOL. SO KOOR, VERY JOUZU KAWAII SOU DESU NE. AHHHH OKII CHINKO DESU KA. MMMMM CHICHI, WATSHI NO MANKO NI CHINKO O IKYUUUUUUUU
NEVER FORGET:
8-8-2015
R.I.P. Games forum
Resized ImageResized Image
The 80's----The weather!

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

A museum dedicated to Toho and its films, not just the sci fi and kaiju ones. It would be perfect inside a Godzilla tower.

VisibleNinja
Ronin

Post by VisibleNinja »

I always found that Tower creepy for some reason.
I mean, it looked like Godzilla getting stabbed with a building.

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

It surely looked strange yet awesome for being a representaion of an already existing monster in the form of a building. Aside from that, the use of it was greatly effective with taking Godzilla down for awhile.

That must have some STRONG firepower to being able to keep the Big G down for that long.
UNSTOPPABLE FURY. UNTHINKABLE POWER. UNBREAKABLE WILL.
tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to bitch about, then tangent onto something unrelated and bitch about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can bitch some more. It's the circle of life.

Chris55
Site Director | Media Relations
Site Director | Media Relations

Post by Chris55 »

It was real nice of the military to allow a cartoonist (who is soon to be unemployed just like he was at the start of the movie) to draw a 5 foot line art drawing of him and his friends in cool poses to attach to the dynamite to be used to blow up the Godzilla Tower.
Your misconceptions and fantasies along with your misguided sense of entitlement don't dictate my actions.

Rodan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Rodan »

Gojira1963 wrote:I find the idea of a Godzilla tower bizarre. Maybe in the continuity of that film Godzilla was benevolent but in the scope of things Godzilla is a giant monster that caused many deaths and destruction of buildings. So to build a tower modeled after him as part of an amusement park seems a bit morbid.
Eh. The second Godzilla is pretty squarely a hero by that point. He's helped save the world a number of times.

Which, yeah, is super weird considering where the Showa series starts, but that's how it goes.

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

Oh yeah. That part was really amusing in the movie. Got those roaches real good there.
tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to bitch about, then tangent onto something unrelated and bitch about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can bitch some more. It's the circle of life.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Fooling the roaches with art fits with the movie's theme. They're so obsessed with machines that they didn't anticipate such a simple plan of attack.

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

Served them right after not taking notice, that much, of the protagonist's interests earlier in the film. (If I'm not mistaken. I haven't seen the movie in awhile)

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

I've always wanted a Godzilla Tower letterbox.

Just putting that out there.

:thumbsup:
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!