Talkback Thread #2: Godzilla Raids Again (1955)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
three
Keizer

Re: Talkback Thread #2: Godzilla Raids Again (1955)

Postby three » Fri May 29, 2015 5:28 pm

H-Man wrote:Oh yeah, that's a great piece. I remember it being played too low in the Japanese version, but the American version turned up the volume on that piece. I think mixing this piece with the American sci-fi themes really gives a good classic B-movie atmosphere to the film.

i've only ever seen the Japanese version, and that is the song that stuck in my head from the movie. just this atmosphere of slowly advancing dread. even if the movie was a cash grab, the original did everything right and it was obvious in some regards (namely the score) that they carried alot of it over.
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

Gojira is:Very Hiroshima®

axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!

Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

sir isaac newton is the deadliest son - of - a - skreeonk in space.

MechaGodzillaShowa
Yojimbo

Postby MechaGodzillaShowa » Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:48 pm

This was the 2nd film of Godzilla and it was overall a very decent film of Godzilla battling Anguirus that was pretty darn good considering that this is TOHO first attempt in a battle of two overpowering monsters that shocked movie audiences back in 1955.

I just loved the acting pair of Minoru Chiaki and Hiroshi Koizumi - that's was brilliantly done and showed the human spirit of overcoming all obstacles in this movie that resulted the death of Kôji Kobayashi (Chiaki) and determination to make the finale is a beautifully filmed scene of the creature being thwarted on an island of mountains and ice.

It's moving, full of emotions, and most of all I throughly enjoyed this film that was made in 1955. Great blending of horror, humor, and interesting human characters that made this film enjoyable to all. I was impressed by it back in 1955.

three
Keizer

Postby three » Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:14 pm

MechaGodzillaShowa wrote:This was the 2nd film of Godzilla and it was overall a very decent film of Godzilla battling Anguirus that was pretty darn good considering that this is TOHO first attempt in a battle of two overpowering monsters that shocked movie audiences back in 1955.

I just loved the acting pair of Minoru Chiaki and Hiroshi Koizumi - that's was brilliantly done and showed the human spirit of overcoming all obstacles in this movie that resulted the death of Kôji Kobayashi (Chiaki) and determination to make the finale is a beautifully filmed scene of the creature being thwarted on an island of mountains and ice.

It's moving, full of emotions, and most of all I throughly enjoyed this film that was made in 1955. Great blending of horror, humor, and interesting human characters that made this film enjoyable to all. I was impressed by it back in 1955.

wow. another fan of this one. i kinda got the impression i was alone in not just liking it, but loving it. it gave off a strong humanist vibe. ( i sound like a hippie).
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

Gojira is:Very Hiroshima®

axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!

Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

sir isaac newton is the deadliest son - of - a - skreeonk in space.

eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby eabaker » Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:42 pm

three wrote:wow. another fan of this one. i kinda got the impression i was alone in not just liking it, but loving it. it gave off a strong humanist vibe. ( i sound like a hippie).

It may be the Godzilla movie on which I'm most torn. On the one hand, I love the overall atmosphere, in concept there are some interesting character arcs, and a few sequences (including the Godzilla/Angilas fight) are really effective, but it also drags a lot in places, and some good ideas end up playing totally flat.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Mechagigan
EDF Soldier

Postby Mechagigan » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:03 pm

This is one's very close to the bottom of my list, frankly. The characters are what ruin it for me.. none of them really had any meat beyond 'this guy does this', from what I recall. It's even worse as a sequel to Gojira, if you can really call it that, as the characters are nowhere near as compelling or 'real' here as they were there - not to mention the whole thing kind of screams 'quick follow-up' (and who can blame it, it was made to cash in on Gojira's success).The monster scenes were the best part, for sure.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Postby Lain Of The Wired » Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:55 pm

This is a movie that usually gets overlooked by me, I find the dub atrocious, and the original Japanese version is just boring. I'm also not a fan of the super-sped up fight scenes, although I DID like the brutal way that Godzilla dispatched Anguirus, although I wonder how they managed to get rid of Anguiruse's stinking corpse afterwards :lol:
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

Monster Zero
EDF Soldier

Postby Monster Zero » Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:57 pm

I'm literally holding the DVD for this right now. I plan on watching it tonight.
Resized Image
Hey You! Do you like Comics?! Me too! Which is why I Partnered With my Best Friend to Create a Comic that we Love to Make! It's Called "Roomies!"
https://tapas.io/series/RoomiesofGuyCity
Please Check it Out if You're Interested!
And here's the official Twitter page! Give us a follow for updates, please!
https://twitter.com/RoomiesComic

eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby eabaker » Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:40 pm

Lain Of The Wired wrote:I find the dub atrocious

Oh, banana oil!
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Space Hunter M
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Space Hunter M » Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:41 pm

Gigantis is wonderful. Keye Luke is music to my ears.
TK's only diehard RMA King Arthur series historian
"All you did was download the ROMs anyway! You can hardly call yourself a real fan!"

I THINK IT STINKS!
SuperMonsterZero wrote:Mire Goji. That must be the Godzilla from the Italian Dogora poster.

ImageImageImage
"Follow the light. The light is your guide."
"Cherenkov light?"

ก็อตซิลลา
哥吉拉

Follow me on the tumblebox

eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby eabaker » Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:47 pm

Space Hunter M wrote:Gigantis is wonderful. Keye Luke is music to my ears.

Last time I watched Gigantis, I found it pretty entertaining for about the first twenty minutes, then I quickly drifted off.

BARAGONZILLA
G-Grasper

Postby BARAGONZILLA » Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:38 pm

I found this one a bit scarier than the first one. Just because if the dark tone and the music. I love it when Godzilla walks out of the water. Enjoy watching that scene.
This is the beginning of the end.

eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby eabaker » Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:15 pm

BARAGONZILLA wrote:I found this one a bit scarier than the first one. Just because if the dark tone and the music. I love it when Godzilla walks out of the water. Enjoy watching that scene.

While it's uneven movie, at its best it is very eerie.

tymon
EDF Soldier

Postby tymon » Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:38 pm

Lain Of The Wired wrote: I DID like the brutal way that Godzilla dispatched Anguirus, although I wonder how they managed to get rid of Anguiruse's stinking corpse afterwards :lol:

They used it to open a restaurant called Black Anguirus.
JAGzilla wrote:And then there was The Giant Condor. He...seemed very dedicated to what he was doing?

GodzillaFanatic2001
Yin-Yang Master

Postby GodzillaFanatic2001 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:40 pm

Space Hunter M wrote:I love that one cue that's also in Rodan when the convicts break out.

I've always loved that one too. Does anyone know where I can find a copy of that song, on youtube maybe?
HayesAJones wrote:
Godzilla 2000 wrote:Its harmless fun, pure and simple.

As opposed to those dangerously fun movies.

GalacticPetey wrote:
eabaker wrote:
edgaguirus wrote:Great for any afternoon. Or late night movie.

But not the morning. No, no... Never the morning.
This movie's quality improves by 50% when viewed past noon.

Piccolo
Ronin

Postby Piccolo » Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:44 am

I just recently re-watched this film (Japanese version with English subtitles). I thought it was pretty good. The movie did a good job creating a scary atmosphere when Godzilla was attacking Osaka. The black and white helped out a lot in this respect. The fight between Godzilla and Anguirus was well done and very animalistic, keeping with the tone of the movie. I felt that Kobayashi was a very likeable character. In fact, it was somewhat refreshing to see a film with "regular" people (the fishery owner and his workers) as the main stars instead of military officers and scientists as are typical of monster films. It gave you some glimpse of how regular people dealt with the aftermath of a monster attack. Masaru Sato's music was also fitting, although one does miss Akira Ifukube's signature scores.

On the downside, the movie is not terribly exciting. The movie can be boring in spots. I also felt that Kobayashi's fate could have been handled differently.

Spoiler:
I felt that Kobayashi's death seemed somewhat pointless in that it did not seal Godzilla in the ice itself but only gave Tsukioka the idea of burying Godzilla in an avalanche. This reduced the dramatic impact of his death.

It is pretty clear that Toho had done all that they could with the heavy, serious Godzilla. That is why the next movie, King Kong v. Godzilla, was such an important change of tone. Still, I think GRA was a good attempt to try to recapture the feeling of the first movie while making if different enough to warrant a viewing.

eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby eabaker » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:59 am

A single person's action - even the sacrifice of a major character - bringing about victory wouldn't really have fit the with the movie's theme of community action, and would have wrung a little dramatically false. The problem, to me, is that it takes so long for the action to resolve after Kobayashi's death, and the movie really loses the momentum that it's only just regained.

Piccolo
Ronin

Postby Piccolo » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:19 am

eabaker wrote:A single person's action - even the sacrifice of a major character - bringing about victory wouldn't really have fit the with the movie's theme of community action, and would have wrung a little dramatically false. The problem, to me, is that it takes so long for the action to resolve after Kobayashi's death, and the movie really loses the momentum that it's only just regained.

I think you make a good point. That is one of the problems with this film, in that the action does not keep rolling consistently. This might be why the film sometimes feels boring, especially compared to the later entries in the series.

Israha
Yin-Yang Master

Postby Israha » Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:52 pm

The thing I dislike the most about GRA is the fact that, few tweaks aside, it's nothing more than a copy of original Gojira. Only significant difference between the two movies is the presence of Anguirus, which itself is kind of less impactful than it should be. City destruction scenes are pretty impressive and the monster fights are also executed quite well, but otherwise, this movie feels like a rushed re-telling of Gojira, with far less engaging human subplots and awfully dragging pace.

While not the worst, it is certainly one of my least favourite Godzilla movies.

Bubbazilla
Ronin

Postby Bubbazilla » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:11 pm

I loved 'Gigantis the Fire Monster'[1959]. It has that dark tone that Rodan, Mothra, and Gorgo had, too. 'Gigantis' on late night TV creature features is what introduced Godzilla to most of America, too. Remember, most people in the early 1960s thought 'Frankenstein' or 'Revenge of the Creature' when they thought monster movie. Despite smash hits like 'Beast from 20,000 Fathoms' and 'It came from Beneath the Sea', but black bear-sized creatures were about what people thought of monsters in movies. 'Gigantis' playing on their new B&W portable TVs literally rocked people's worlds culturally, too.

I look forward to seeing Godzilla Raids again, too.

Legion1979
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby Legion1979 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:30 am

Bubbazilla wrote:'Gigantis' on late night TV creature features is what introduced Godzilla to most of America, too.

'Gigantis' playing on their new B&W portable TVs literally rocked people's worlds culturally, too.

...what?

Return to “Showa Series (1930's-1970's)”