Talkback Thread #13: Godzilla vs. Megalon (1973)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
edgaguirus
Keizer

Re: Talkback Thread #13: Godzilla vs. Megalon (1973)

Post by edgaguirus »

With the kid it could have been worse. It could have been one those kids from the Gamera films.
I've got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

three
Keizer

Post by three »

edgaguirus wrote:With the kid it could have been worse. It could have been one those kids from the Gamera films.

Yes, yes it could have. And I am grateful it was not. Kid aside, it's one of my favorites.
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

Gojira is:Very Hiroshima®
axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

sir isaac newton is the deadliest son - of - a - bitch in space.

Kaiser
G-Force Personnel

Post by Kaiser »

I've never seen the appeal of the movie.

It's not even bad in a Plan 9 from Outer Space kind of way. It's just bad. It felt like nobody working on the film gave a shit about what they were doing and just wanted to get it out the way as quickly as possible. There really isn't anything the film does well and nothing about its ineptness that's really charming in any way aside from two or three scenes.

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Post by kamilleblu »

Kaiser wrote:I've never seen the appeal of the movie.

It's not even bad in a Plan 9 from Outer Space kind of way. It's just bad. It felt like nobody working on the film gave a shit about what they were doing and just wanted to get it out the way as quickly as possible. There really isn't anything the film does well and nothing about its ineptness that's really charming in any way aside from two or three scenes.
It was a rushed production and it shows.

I'm sure most fans know this by now, but this wasn't even supposed to be a Godzilla film. The titular character was thrown in because Jet Jaguar couldn't a film on his own and even then it didn't perform well domestically. The soundtrack was recycled from Godzilla vs. Hedorah and the special effects budget was so low that it borrows scenes from a film released only a year before. Seeing that both All Monsters Attack and Godzilla vs. Gigan, two stock footage heavy flicks, had pretty solid box office intakes, this film must have been particularly unpopular in its homeland. On the positive side of things, it gave us: Megalon, Jet Jaguar (and his theme song), an awesome dam destruction scene, and Godzilla's tail slide.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

You gotta love that JJ theme song.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

skuzzy-punk-kid
Monarch Researcher

Post by skuzzy-punk-kid »

kamilleblu wrote:
Kaiser wrote:I've never seen the appeal of the movie.

It was a rushed production and it shows.

I'm sure most fans know this by now, but this wasn't even supposed to be a Godzilla film. The titular character was thrown in because Jet Jaguar couldn't a film on his own and even then it didn't perform well domestically. The soundtrack was recycled from Godzilla vs. Hedorah and the special effects budget was so low that it borrows scenes from a film released only a year before. Seeing that both All Monsters Attack and Godzilla vs. Gigan, two stock footage heavy flicks, had pretty solid box office intakes, this film must have been particularly unpopular in its homeland. On the positive side of things, it gave us: Megalon, Jet Jaguar (and his theme song), an awesome dam destruction scene, and Godzilla's tail slide.
I wouldn't say the soundtrack was 100% recycled from Godzilla vs. The Smog Monster. The theme at the least was recomposed. Godzilla vs. Megalon, to me, used way more synthesizers than any preceding Godzilla movie.
What :g2k:is :g2k:so :g2k:frikkin' :g2k:wrong :g2k:with :g2k:the :g2k:frikkin' :g2k:G2K :g2k:smiley :g2k:?
The :g2k:G2K :g2k:smiley :g2k:is :g2k:not :g2k:causing :g2k:you :g2k:any :g2k:freakin' :g2k:harm :g2k:!!!

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Just got done watching this with my little brother and sister. I hadn't seen it in about ten years, and they'd never seen it at all. We all had fun. I'm not going to sit here and call it good, but it pretty much did what it wanted to do, which was entertain kids and kaiju fans for an hour and a half. The characters are bland, parts of the story make no sense, and it dragged a little at some points, but the monster action more than makes up for all of that. Said action is silly and campy as all hell, and a blast to watch because of that. The monsters just have so much personality, and the fighting is really brutal at times. I loved Jet Jaguar breaking Gigan's arm, especially. The whole final battle is easily one of my favorites in the whole franchise.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

The music is definitely NOT "100% recycled" from HEDORAH. I don't care how much one dislikes this movie, that's simply not even remotely true.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

KaijuFiend
Rainbowzilla

Post by KaijuFiend »

From a critical standpoint, this is a pretty bad film. From a personal standpoint, I enjoy this film. It's fun, and Megalon and Jet Jaguar are interesting kaiju.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

I'm not believer in "so bad it's good," but, assuming basic competence in execution (and sloppy though Megalon may be, it's not incompetent), I can buy a "so weird it's good" from time to time. And this is basically one of those for me.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

ThunderScore
Monarch Researcher

Post by ThunderScore »

ImageImage
Last edited by ThunderScore on Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Monster Zero
Futurian

Post by Monster Zero »

Is that one of the US Buttons?

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

They forgot Godzilla's tail.

Kaijugriffey
Monarch Researcher

Post by Kaijugriffey »

Remember class the ultimate purpose of giant fire breathing Kaiju is to protect the world from the evil destructive power of small stupid children. The little Timmy's that threaten us all.

I don't know why but I actually like this one. I mean everything about it taken in abstract is just awful. But when thrown together it becomes this glorious campy technicolor madness. Kind of like the Adam West Batman series...
Except for Timmy! That little twerp needs to die in an atomic fire. (and no I have no idea what the kids name was. They're all "Little Timmy". And they're evil. EEEEVVVIIIIILLLLLL!!!!)

GodzillaFanatic2001
Monarch Researcher

Post by GodzillaFanatic2001 »

Isn't their name normally Kenny? :P
Last edited by GodzillaFanatic2001 on Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
HayesAJones wrote:
Godzilla 2000 wrote:Its harmless fun, pure and simple.
As opposed to those dangerously fun movies.

ThunderScore
Monarch Researcher

Post by ThunderScore »

GodzillaFanatic2001 wrote:Isn't their name normally Kenny?
I think that's only in the world of MST...

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Rokuro is the kid's name.

Kaijugriffey
Monarch Researcher

Post by Kaijugriffey »

edgaguirus wrote:Rokuro is the kid's name.
It really doesn't matter. They could call him whatever they wanted in the movie but all we heard is "BURNNN HIIIMM!" :evil:

Just once I want someone to make a completely politically incorrect Kaiju movie where the monster goes around eating kids. Out of Vengeance! So far the closest we have come is GMK and maybe the Heisei Gamera movies. Although I am not sure High Schoolers count.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Kaijugriffey wrote:
edgaguirus wrote:Rokuro is the kid's name.
It really doesn't matter. They could call him whatever they wanted in the movie but all we heard is "BURNNN HIIIMM!" :evil:

Just once I want someone to make a completely politically incorrect Kaiju movie where the monster goes around eating kids. Out of Vengeance! So far the closest we have come is GMK and maybe the Heisei Gamera movies. Although I am not sure High Schoolers count.

So you wanted to see GKG actually devour a kid?

Mr. Xeno
Futurian

Post by Mr. Xeno »

edgaguirus wrote: So you wanted to see GKG actually devour a kid?
If we can see monsters devouring adults on a regular basis (Gyaos and Zedus), then we can see an annoying kid bite the dust every once in a while.
Castellan Zilla wrote:What? No dots on SHMA Mothra?! In the trash she goes.