Godzilla: The Animated Series

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)

What are your thoughts?

LOVE IT
36%
Like it
42%
Neutral
11%
Dislike it
5%
ARRRGHH SKREEENK GINO
6%

Total votes: 194

KaijuDuke
G-Force Personnel

Re: Godzilla: The Animated Series

Post by KaijuDuke »

Mr. Xeno wrote:
KaijuDuke wrote: P.S. anyone know if Ts-eh-Go really is the Navajo word for scorpion? I'm not an expert on the language & google search wasn't as helpful for me as I thought it would be lol.
You're spelling it wrong, but seigo really does translate into scorpion.
https://en.glosbe.com/en/nv/scorpion

Thanks for the correction! Sorry about that, I got the incorrect spelling from Wikizilla, guess someone needs to update the article on Seigo >_<

http://godzilla.wikia.com/wiki/Ts-eh-Go ... _Scorpions

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

Actually, the scorpion's name in the series is spelled Ts-eh-Go.

http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2006 ... ies/#Guide
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

Mr. Xeno
Futurian

Post by Mr. Xeno »

NSZ wrote:Actually, the scorpion's name in the series is spelled Ts-eh-Go.

I wasn't saying that the spelling was incorrect to the character's actual name, I'm just saying that "seigo" is the correct spelling in the Navajo language for scorpion. So the show is wrong. Not that it matters, really. They still pronounced it right, just with heavy e-nun-ci-a-tion.
Castellan Zilla wrote:What? No dots on SHMA Mothra?! In the trash she goes.

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

I have the Monster War trilogy on DVD (which I found in a dollar bin)...
and its pretty fun for what it is.

I haven't seen any of the other episodes...and I don't really intend to.
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

You should, this cartoon is very underrated and almost certainly what the movie should’ve done.
"Monsters are tragic beings. They are born too tall, too strong, too heavy. They are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy. They do not attack people because they want to, but because of their size and strength, mankind has no other choice but to defend himself. After several stories such as this, people end up having a kind of affection for the monsters. They end up caring about them." - Ishiro Honda

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

Mr. Yellow wrote:You should, this cartoon is very underrated and almost certainly what the movie should’ve done.
Ehh...

I'm more a film person than television.

Its just what I prefer.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Still can't get over that some eps of this show are more interesting and creative than the almost every Godzilla film post 91

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

Godzillian wrote:Still can't get over that some eps of this show are more interesting and creative than the almost every Godzilla film post 91
Well...an animated product can take
more chances & be more creative.

*Look at the Godzilla Anime films*

Goddammit...

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

I love this show. It really captures the essence of Godzilla and is quite faithful. I just wish that it hadn't came in so late when anime was dominant and when the golden age of Saturday morning cartoons was starting to end.

And to think that this is best Godzilla cartoon show by default, and yet, it doesn't have Godzilla.

G&G-Fan
Monsterland Worker

Post by G&G-Fan »

So many fond memories. I remember I would always watch these episodes in the morning during summer break.

These episodes are so much fun, save for a few (not really much of a fan of Bug Out and S.C.A.L.E.). The human characters are quite likeable and actually entertaining to watch, with Nick being turned into a badass rather then the nerdy weirdo from the 1998 film, which I really like. I don't like the 98 film so I don't care if they retcon stuff. I also love Randy and Mendel's "frienemies" relationship, I've actually burst out laughing at some of their interactions and Randy's pranks. "Underground Movement" is one of my favorites because it spends so much time with Randy and Mendel and it's hilarious because of it. The romance subplots in this series are probably some of the best handled romance subplots in all of Godzilla in that you actually feel like the two have chemistry together and you actually WANT them to have a good relationship, another thing 98 was lacking. And the monster action is actually really good, with some really cool kaiju. My favorite episodes are Underground Movement, Competition, Shafted, Cash of Titans, Monster Wars Trilogy, Trust No One, End of the Line, What a Strange Trip It's Been, Area 51, Twister, and Lizard Season.
Last edited by G&G-Fan on Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:21 am, edited 3 times in total.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

To be fair, nobody in America thought what did happen would ever happened.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Rhedosaurus wrote:
To be fair, nobody in America thought what did happen would ever happened.
Yah don’t say…
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

Speaking as someone who hated the G98 TriStar film, I actually did get up on Saturdays to watch this show because I did enjoy it.

It kind of felt like an updated version of the Hannah Barbara show and it had that same fun appeal of seeing just what Godzilla was going to fight every week. I never needed other Toho monsters to appear as long as they gave me plenty of creatures for Godzilla to duke it out with and I felt like they succeeded (Though I do argue that the Cyber-Zilla cyborg of the original 98 Zilla is this show's version of Mechagodzilla).

It still had to work within the framework of the TriStar film, so this version of Godzilla inherited some of the traits I didn't like, but working within that box, I thought the show did the best it could, and it was clear to me that fans worked on it.

This was also right around the time that Pokémon and Digimon and all of that stuff was getting popular and I NEVER liked any of that, so it was nice to have something to watch instead for at least a little while. Of course this was also around the time that all my favorite shows (Animaniacs, Pinky and the Brain, Freakazoid, Batman, Superman, etc.) were getting axed off one by one, but that's a whole other story.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

NSZ wrote:Actually, the scorpion's name in the series is spelled Ts-eh-Go.

I always thought the scorpion's name was First Wave. Ts-eh-Go was just the generic Navaho name for scorpions in general.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Was so glad when the series become easily available on DVD for fairly cheap too. Personally I always loved C-rex, King Cobra, the bat, and queen bee

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

C-Rex was everyone’s favorite I think, definitely mine by a long shot, followed by guys like the DNA Mimic monster, El Gus, Rhinosaurus, and the bat.
#slatternking

TitanoGoji16
KWC Kontroller
KWC Kontroller

Post by TitanoGoji16 »

My favorites were the ones that made more than one appearance - C-Rex, King Cobra, El Gusano, Queen Bee, the Giant Bat... except for Cryptocleidus. Never got into him, for some reason.
"Name me one fight where Anguirus didn't get his dick kicked in."

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

Cyber-Godzilla, Nessie, C-Rex, The Chameleon, and The Lizard Slayers were some of my favorites.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

TitanoGoji16 wrote:My favorites were the ones that made more than one appearance - C-Rex, King Cobra, El Gusano, Queen Bee, the Giant Bat... except for Cryptocleidus. Never got into him, for some reason.
I actually really like Cryptocleidus, shame they were so limited though