Godzilla: Save the Earth discussion

For the discussion of Toho video games and video games of Toho related characters only.
Gojira tai Mosura
G-Grasper

Re: Godzilla: Save the Earth discussion

Post by Gojira tai Mosura »

Mr. Strange wrote: I don't mean to quibble, but I actually think Unleashed improved on StE in a ton of ways - though obviously it did fall short on some aspects, which really hurt the game's overall quality.

But even if StE is a better game overall, we shouldn't ignore the really great features G:U brought to the series - albeit in an imperfect package:

1 - Amazing custom game configuration system.
2 - Faction system.
3 - Improved powerup spawn (folks complained about powerup camping in StE, and I think we did a great job of fixing those issues in G:U)
4 - Better vehicles, military AI, & pathing.
5 - Better building destruction.
6 - Fully physics-based monster movement.
7 - Multi-thread animation system for characters.
8 - Better camera, 3&4 player support, and new game modes.
I do agree with this. I have a topic about "Do's and Don'ts: Godzilla Games" and that lists what we think should be in the next Godzilla game/Colossal Kaiju Combat.

I do feel that the Faction System needs some tweaking though. It doesn't tell you what makes others hate you/like you and sometimes it's straight up unfair when you unwillingly get knocked into a special building that make the GDF hate you. The worst crime about the Faction System is TEAMKILLING. If you're in a tough 2v2 battle, you're forced to NEVER use your heavy attacks in the odd case that you'll damage your partner. But in doing so, you're forced to take a pounding from the enemies since you'll never get rid of one health chip. Sometimes this can even get you in a deadlock, as the AI will relentlessly... block the entire battle. Since you can't use heavy attacks nor risk using throw you will ultimately never be able to win unless your partner leaves the area.

If you need to see what some others and I think what should/shouldn't be implemented in another Godzilla fighting game (or Colossal Kaiju Combat), you're more than welcome to read the topic.
Gojira Tai Mosura: Clumsiest Toho Kingdom Member Ever.
I disappear for fifteen thousand minutes, come back for two seconds.

Jatahaxe
Interpol Agent

Post by Jatahaxe »

In all my years of playing STE I've never fully understood how beam fights are supposed to work beyond mashing the buttons. The manual says something about different colors trumping out other colors that move towards the center and move the beam in whichever player's favor. Is it some kind of rock-paper-scissors-type deal? Also, it seems literally impossible to win a beam fight in Hard mode. Unleashed made it a helluva lot simpler but it doesn't feel at all like a beam fight in one of the movies where the beam fights in STE at least felt a little bit like it. In G:U it's like a volleyball match.
Monsters are the real people.

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

Jatahaxe wrote:Is it some kind of rock-paper-scissors-type deal?
Yes. Blue beats green, green beats red and red beats blue.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

Mr. Strange
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Strange »

Jatahaxe wrote:In all my years of playing STE I've never fully understood how beam fights are supposed to work beyond mashing the buttons. The manual says something about different colors trumping out other colors that move towards the center and move the beam in whichever player's favor. Is it some kind of rock-paper-scissors-type deal? Also, it seems literally impossible to win a beam fight in Hard mode. Unleashed made it a helluva lot simpler but it doesn't feel at all like a beam fight in one of the movies where the beam fights in STE at least felt a little bit like it. In G:U it's like a volleyball match.
If it's any consolation, NOBODY understands the beam fight system very well. That said here's how it works:

It's a R-B-G loop like rock-paper-scissors. As Smuggers said, B>G>R>B.

BUT - you are allowed to change your color ONE TIME. By default, your color is "white" which loses to every color. So when a beam fight starts, you and your opponent both send a ball of white energy towards the center. That's your timer. You can press a button to change it to R,B, or G. Going "second" is a huge advantage if you can react properly - which you pretty much can't because of the timing.

But here's the idea - I select Red... then you pick Green. At the last minute I change my color, and you try to react. Did I change to Blue, to beat your green? If so, you should change to Red at the last minute. But maybe I anticipated that, and selected Green - so if you switch to Red I win!

If we tie, we each lose some energy and pick again. If someone runs out of energy this way, they lose. (This is why Space Godzilla DOES NOT like to beam fight - because his energy regen is precious!)

Gojora
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gojora »

Mr. Strange wrote:
Jatahaxe wrote:In all my years of playing STE I've never fully understood how beam fights are supposed to work beyond mashing the buttons. The manual says something about different colors trumping out other colors that move towards the center and move the beam in whichever player's favor. Is it some kind of rock-paper-scissors-type deal? Also, it seems literally impossible to win a beam fight in Hard mode. Unleashed made it a helluva lot simpler but it doesn't feel at all like a beam fight in one of the movies where the beam fights in STE at least felt a little bit like it. In G:U it's like a volleyball match.
If it's any consolation, NOBODY understands the beam fight system very well. That said here's how it works:

It's a R-B-G loop like rock-paper-scissors. As Smuggers said, B>G>R>B.

BUT - you are allowed to change your color ONE TIME. By default, your color is "white" which loses to every color. So when a beam fight starts, you and your opponent both send a ball of white energy towards the center. That's your timer. You can press a button to change it to R,B, or G. Going "second" is a huge advantage if you can react properly - which you pretty much can't because of the timing.

But here's the idea - I select Red... then you pick Green. At the last minute I change my color, and you try to react. Did I change to Blue, to beat your green? If so, you should change to Red at the last minute. But maybe I anticipated that, and selected Green - so if you switch to Red I win!

If we tie, we each lose some energy and pick again. If someone runs out of energy this way, they lose. (This is why Space Godzilla DOES NOT like to beam fight - because his energy regen is precious!)
:spacegodzilla: <(my.....PRECIOUS!)
Now I'm imagining space godzilla being voiced by gollum.
TK's Touhou resident.
Basically the only guy here that likes the Shadow Arena.
RIP Shadow Arena, it was my favorite place...
Resized Image
Kaijunator wrote:
Derzerb wrote:Apocalymon makes this fight one-sided since he can flat out delete enemies or he could just wipe out the entire dimension.
Delete enemies. Lol.
Apocalymon: I want to delete my opponents. *goes to computer* and delete! *presses delete button, all enemies get deleted*.

M.o.g.u.e.r.a14
EDF Instructor

Post by M.o.g.u.e.r.a14 »

This game is possibly more fun than Unleashed. Game of my childhood.
Fan of Godzilla, Pacific Rim, Sailor Moon, and Transformers.
Dezerb wrote: buenos ding dong didily dias senor.
http://i.imgur.com/PpE0DEQ.gif

Moguera14 X Sailor Moon

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

I do feel that the Faction System needs some tweaking though. It doesn't tell you what makes others hate you/like you and sometimes it's straight up unfair when you unwillingly get knocked into a special building that make the GDF hate you. The worst crime about the Faction System is TEAMKILLING. If you're in a tough 2v2 battle, you're forced to NEVER use your heavy attacks in the odd case that you'll damage your partner. But in doing so, you're forced to take a pounding from the enemies since you'll never get rid of one health chip. Sometimes this can even get you in a deadlock, as the AI will relentlessly... block the entire battle. Since you can't use heavy attacks nor risk using throw you will ultimately never be able to win unless your partner leaves the area.
I never had the teamkilling issue save once or twice, and I always thought the GDF faction thing was tied to number of buildings more so than (but occasionally including) landmarks.

I love STE and GU for very different reasons but I still find the latter an extraordinarily underrated game compared to the former, and that's from someone who considers STE their introduction to the Godzilla franchise.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

Young Guy
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Young Guy »

Zentenk wrote:I don't know if PS2 is different than Wii but for PS2 I enjoyed the gameplay, but the story sucked (text and still shots like it is SNES), horrible music and graphic select screens... STE blew that all away.
WHAT?! Horrible music?!

I agree STE is leagues above Unleashed in the gameplay department, but definitely not music. STE had like, 5 randomly played tracks that were all generic (except for the one with the electric guitar riff). Have you heard Moguera and Jet Jaguar's themes from Unleashed? They're beautiful.

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

Young Guy wrote:
Zentenk wrote:I don't know if PS2 is different than Wii but for PS2 I enjoyed the gameplay, but the story sucked (text and still shots like it is SNES), horrible music and graphic select screens... STE blew that all away.
WHAT?! Horrible music?!

I agree STE is leagues above Unleashed in the gameplay department, but definitely not music. STE had like, 5 randomly played tracks that were all generic (except for the one with the electric guitar riff). Have you heard Moguera and Jet Jaguar's themes from Unleashed? They're beautiful.
Shh, don't let them catch you saying nice things about GU!
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

M.o.g.u.e.r.a14
EDF Instructor

Just put Godzilla: Save the earth's gameplay and Godzilla: Unleashed's monster roster together and you got one of the best fucking Godzilla games ever.

Moguera14 X Sailor Moon

Young Guy
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Young Guy »

M.o.g.u.e.r.a14 wrote:Just put Godzilla: Save the earth's gameplay and Godzilla: Unleashed's monster roster together and you got one of the best fucking Godzilla games ever.
Just replace Obsidius with someone else and you're right.

CheetoKamper
G-Force Personnel

Post by CheetoKamper »

Young Guy wrote:
M.o.g.u.e.r.a14 wrote:Just put Godzilla: Save the earth's gameplay and Godzilla: Unleashed's monster roster together and you got one of the best fucking Godzilla games ever.
Krystalak as well
He musta thought it was a gun!
I liked Giant Condor and Gabara before it was cool to just sayin.
Shadow arena record (5-3)

M.o.g.u.e.r.a14
EDF Instructor

CheetoKamper wrote:
Young Guy wrote:
M.o.g.u.e.r.a14 wrote:Just put Godzilla: Save the earth's gameplay and Godzilla: Unleashed's monster roster together and you got one of the best skreeonking Godzilla games ever.
Krystalak as well
Put Zilla and Hedorah in both of their spots.

Moguera14 X Sailor Moon

The Godzilla King
Interpol Agent

Post by The Godzilla King »

Mr. Strange wrote:These files do NOT exist on the Xbox version
Interestingly, the files actually do exist.

The HUD doesn't get displayed correctly however.

CheetoKamper
G-Force Personnel

Post by CheetoKamper »

M.o.g.u.e.r.a14 wrote:Put Zilla and Hedorah in both of their spots.
I'd prefer Hedorah and Gabara or Varan.
He musta thought it was a gun!
I liked Giant Condor and Gabara before it was cool to just sayin.
Shadow arena record (5-3)

Godzillasylum
Monarch Researcher

Post by Godzillasylum »

M.o.g.u.e.r.a14 wrote:Just put Godzilla: Save the earth's gameplay and Godzilla: Unleashed's monster roster together and you got one of the best skreeonking Godzilla games ever.
And add in the graphics from this Godzilla game! KAZAAAM! The best Godzilla game to ever hail outside of Monster Island.
Good hunter... May you find your worth in the waking world.

Kaijunator
Xilien Halfling

Post by Kaijunator »

CheetoKamper wrote:
M.o.g.u.e.r.a14 wrote:Put Zilla and Hedorah in both of their spots.
I'd prefer Hedorah and Gabara or Varan.
Varan is in Unleashed. I'd prefer they keep Krystalak and Obsidius. I think they're cool kaiju.
If you have digital copy codes for movies you want to give away, I'll gladly take them! :)
Dillyziller wrote:Evangelion 4.0: This is (not) a joke

It opens with Shinji, Asuka, and Rei walking along the lifeless, red earth. Suddenly the ground begins to shake.
Godzilla bursts from the ground, killing the 3 pilots. Godzilla will then battle his newest opponent...
parental issues.
TitanoGoji16 wrote:"Do you think C-Rex and FeMUTO could make sweet love down by the fire and give birth to Gabara?"
Best song ever.
YouTube!

Mr. Strange
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Strange »

The Godzilla King wrote:
Mr. Strange wrote:These files do NOT exist on the Xbox version
Interestingly, the files actually do exist.

The HUD doesn't get displayed correctly however.
I'm surprised! Thanks for sharing this.

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

Wait, Biollante was at G-FEST? Shoot, if I'd known that I'd have checked it out. Of course, I was only there Sunday afternoon. If it's happening next year, I'd love to know. I always had a feeling she was unlockable -- there's references to her in the PS2 game disc, but I had no idea how to enable them. I do recall bringing it up here in the long, long ago.

When I think of STE, the main things I miss that weren't carried over into GU were the Survival and Challenge modes, and by extension, Action mode. I like to imagine for a fourth Pipeworks game, it might've been cool to see a Story mode like GU's and a simplified one like DAMM and STE's. In terms of versus/melee/etc. I thought GU effectively improved upon those areas.

The Godzilla King
Interpol Agent

Post by The Godzilla King »

JVM wrote:Wait, Biollante was at G-FEST? Shoot, if I'd known that I'd have checked it out. Of course, I was only there Sunday afternoon. If it's happening next year, I'd love to know. I always had a feeling she was unlockable -- there's references to her in the PS2 game disc, but I had no idea how to enable them. I do recall bringing it up here in the long, long ago.
It's actually very simple, just a little bit of hex editing the vol file.
JVM wrote:When I think of STE, the main things I miss that weren't carried over into GU were the Survival and Challenge modes, and by extension, Action mode.
I think Survival may have been a feature originally planned to be in Godzilla Unleashed. There's a file in the game called "GameType_Survival" or something like that.