Talkback Thread #2: Godzilla Raids Again (1955)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Re: Talkback Thread #2: Godzilla Raids Again (1955)

Postby kamilleblu » Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:52 pm

Mr. Xeno wrote:Considering how the entire thing was conceived, shot, edited, and released in less than 6 months, it's remarkably watchable.

Having been produced under those circumstances, the film turned out fairly well. It's not really a bad film, just too average for its own good. There isn't much to make it stand out compared to its competition. So it's understandable that it is often times forgotten.

edgaguirus
E.S.P.Spy

Postby edgaguirus » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:49 pm

I wouldn't say forgotten. Underrated, yes, but not forgotten.
Kaiju are just like people- giant, radioactive people.

Megalon went into a bar and saw Gigan. Megalon said, " Again? I thought you gave this up."
" What can I say," Gigan asked. " I'm hooked."

daveblackeye15
G-Grasper

Postby daveblackeye15 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:51 pm

Been spending the day with it and since I don't re-watch it as often as Biollante or Monster Zero it seems it takes me longer to appreciate more things about it. Even though a few years ago the commentary pointed out how many special effects they had to do in just six weeks. I love the Godzilla experts they got for the Classic Media DVDs, the guy who did Godzilla's Revenge was hilarious and pretty thought provoking while Steve Ryfle's dry wit strangely matches the film.

I've always liked the introduction to Godzilla and Anguirus, we see much of their fight between two mountains and only get a brief clear shot. While I think Angurius needed some kind of distinct opening scene, he pops up earlier because he's hunting Godzilla, this does kind of give the impression of two average joes getting caught up in a monster rivalry one day.

Godzillian
Kwaidan

Postby Godzillian » Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:39 am

One thing I love about the film is how much personality they put into Godzilla.

three
Keizer

Postby three » Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:58 pm

i saw a post in the GTTHM thread about weaving the story well into the movie; this movie does the same thing at least as well. the tragedy of being sent out to take down Godzilla while all the poor guy wants to do is settle down is really tightly wrapped like a bow on a gift around the movie.

the fact that their success rate is so low makes it that much more powerful. it's like a going to war story. i think you can easily make a metaphor out of this movie for japan's struggle against outside powers from the micro level, or soldier and countryman, pov better than any other movie in the franchise. what makes it even more special is that it wasn't even trying to be that profound.
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

Gojira is:Very Hiroshima®

axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!

Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

sir isaac newton is the deadliest son - of - a - skreeonk in space.

Beef Bigshot
Keizer

Postby Beef Bigshot » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:56 am

edgaguirus wrote:I wouldn't say forgotten. Underrated, yes, but not forgotten.

Agreed. Why I love this movie is because it has so many good scenes. When Godzilla and anguirus are first revealed, when they arrive at the docks,the flare scenes, Godzilla killing anguirus (pretty chilling for his first kill ever), and finally Godzilla fighting the planes as chunks of ice drop on him.

A lot of great scenes that I think people disregard because of backward dialogue or the general consensus that, " ER DIS FILM SUCKS"
Resized Image

godzillalives88
Interpol Agent

Postby godzillalives88 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:22 am

I've always found it very underrated for two reasons in particular:

1. It's one of the VERY few times in the showa series that a monster battle occurs in a city, and shows the demolition of said city. Almost every other battle occurs in the countryside, or starts in a city but then inexplicably migrates to the countryside (ie., Godzilla vs. Monster Zero, Terror of Mechagodzilla). On top of that, the combat itself feels very animalistic and real.

2. The strategies to get rid of Godzilla are pretty unique, and there's genuine tension in watching them play out. Both the scene with the flares and the forced avalanche at the end are suspenseful, and the later of which ends with a poignant sacrifice. In addition, forgive me if this has been pointed out, but have you ever noticed that Godzilla's roar right before he is buried is the same as the one he gives before succumbing to the oxygen destroyer?

There's also a handful of other reasons I like it: the monster designs, Anguirus, Kobayashi, it's cool seeing Godzilla in B&W, I like the continuity with the original, etc.

I will concede though that the sound design for the film is pretty sloppy and inconsistent.

daveblackeye15
G-Grasper

Postby daveblackeye15 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:09 pm

I re-watched both versions and I find myself appreciating some of the music added for the U.S. cut, I think it really helps for the introduction of the two monsters. It also works really well for when Godzilla defeats Anguirus. Typically I'm really against changing or adding music but these are the only exceptions for this film.

And yeah I do really like the way Godzilla is defeated for not feeling too deus ex machina or flimsy. I do agree with the commentator that they shouldn't have ground the film to a halt with that planning scene.

Film still could use another twenty minuts and Angurius getting a proper intro.

three
Keizer

Postby three » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:12 pm

godzillalives88 wrote:2. The strategies to get rid of Godzilla are pretty unique, and there's genuine tension in watching them play out. Both the scene with the flares and the forced avalanche at the end are suspenseful, and the later of which ends with a poignant sacrifice.

something this movie gets right very well is the suspense and tension. everything has a build up, and a good one. i suspect it's why some people find it boring.
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!

Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Keizer

Postby Tyrant_Lizard_King » Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:20 am

Raids is in the middle of the franchise for me. I really like the overall atmosphere and their use of ordinary working people as protagonists, really sets it apart from the rest of the franchise. One of the few times the leads aren't reporters, scientists, or JSDF goons. Still the rather sluggish pace and and some really shoddy FX work have a tendency to pull me out of the movie more often the not but I respect what they were going for.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Postby Lain Of The Wired » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:37 am

I really wish someone would redo the English version, and re-dub it too... I know it'll never happen, but GOD, it needs to happen.
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

Space Hunter M
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Space Hunter M » Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:43 pm

Lain Of The Wired wrote:I really wish someone would redo the English version, and re-dub it too... I know it'll never happen, but GOD, it needs to happen.

Toho doesn't seem to have the M&E track anymore either way.
TK's only diehard RMA King Arthur series historian
"All you did was download the ROMs anyway! You can hardly call yourself a real fan!"

I THINK IT STINKS!
SuperMonsterZero wrote:Mire Goji. That must be the Godzilla from the Italian Dogora poster.

ImageImageImage
"Follow the light. The light is your guide."
"Cherenkov light?"

ก็อตซิลลา
哥吉拉

Follow me on the tumblebox

KaijuFiend
Rainbowzilla

Postby KaijuFiend » Sun May 17, 2015 1:00 pm

An alright film, impressive for the limited time and budget but at times very dull. I love Anguirus' design - it's probably my favorite - though I don't like GyakushuGoji. I do wish we got some better looks at ShodaiAngira, so in that regard the black and white hurts the film the slightest bit, though it works well otherwise. I have a feeling the Japanese cut will prove to be superior and less dull than the American cut. I'll get around to watching it soon.

KaijuFiend
Rainbowzilla

Postby KaijuFiend » Mon May 25, 2015 1:36 am

Just watched the Japanese cut, and my god, it is superior to the American cut in every way. No wonder the film has a reputation for being so dull - I started watching Gigantis with the commentary by Steve Ryfie, and he points out all the changes, and all of them slow the film to a crawl. The Japanese cut only drags a little bit in a couple places, but most Godzilla films do so it's not much of a strike against the film. I still wouldn't go so far as to consider Raids Again one of the greats of the Godzilla franchise, but it is pretty good. The brutal scrapping between Anguirus and Godzilla is a definite highlight.

H-Man
JXSDF Technician

Postby H-Man » Mon May 25, 2015 2:53 am

i just watched the American version on Saturday and I for one enjoy it more than the Japanese version. There are just too many scenes that play without appropriate musical accompaniment, dialog, or sound FX that the US distributors, for all their errors, at least make the exercise a lot more entertaining. Besides, I prefer the theme to It! The Terror from Beyond Space to Sato's main theme.

three
Keizer

Postby three » Mon May 25, 2015 8:22 pm

H-Man wrote:i just watched the American version on Saturday and I for one enjoy it more than the Japanese version. There are just too many scenes that play without appropriate musical accompaniment, dialog, or sound FX that the US distributors, for all their errors, at least make the exercise a lot more entertaining. Besides, I prefer the theme to It! The Terror from Beyond Space to Sato's main theme.

yea, but then there's this (which, if the title of this video is to be believed *and i think it is*, then we're talking awesome).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVdSIyS1pmw

point being, when they get it right, they nail it harder than martin luther. this music with flares falling all over and Godzilla in the bay, at night, in black and white...is stunning, mystifying, and terrifying. it's endured as one of my favorite moments in the franchise, just because you have this sense of dread. the monster is back, and it's lurking right there, waist deep, staring at your city, watching.

Kaiser
Interpol Agent

Postby Kaiser » Tue May 26, 2015 11:03 am

The middle third of the film is definitely the strongest part of the film, but it still suffers from some odd pacing decisions like the whole prison break sequence. It does a great job at setting the mood though.

three
Keizer

Postby three » Tue May 26, 2015 9:10 pm

the prison break is just a cool plot device (not that you were suggesting it was anything else).

the pacing on it didn't feel weird, though.

H-Man
JXSDF Technician

Postby H-Man » Wed May 27, 2015 5:26 pm

three wrote:
H-Man wrote:i just watched the American version on Saturday and I for one enjoy it more than the Japanese version. There are just too many scenes that play without appropriate musical accompaniment, dialog, or sound FX that the US distributors, for all their errors, at least make the exercise a lot more entertaining. Besides, I prefer the theme to It! The Terror from Beyond Space to Sato's main theme.

yea, but then there's this (which, if the title of this video is to be believed *and i think it is*, then we're talking awesome).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVdSIyS1pmw

point being, when they get it right, they nail it harder than martin luther. this music with flares falling all over and Godzilla in the bay, at night, in black and white...is stunning, mystifying, and terrifying. it's endured as one of my favorite moments in the franchise, just because you have this sense of dread. the monster is back, and it's lurking right there, waist deep, staring at your city, watching.

Oh yeah, that's a great piece. I remember it being played too low in the Japanese version, but the American version turned up the volume on that piece. I think mixing this piece with the American sci-fi themes really gives a good classic B-movie atmosphere to the film.

Space Hunter M
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Space Hunter M » Wed May 27, 2015 8:30 pm

I love that one cue that's also in Rodan when the convicts break out.
TK's only diehard RMA King Arthur series historian
"All you did was download the ROMs anyway! You can hardly call yourself a real fan!"

I THINK IT STINKS!
SuperMonsterZero wrote:Mire Goji. That must be the Godzilla from the Italian Dogora poster.

ImageImageImage
"Follow the light. The light is your guide."
"Cherenkov light?"

ก็อตซิลลา
哥吉拉

Follow me on the tumblebox

Return to “Showa Series (1930's-1970's)”