Custom Action Figures Thread

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
godzilla1541
EDF Instructor

Re: Custom Godzilla Figures

Post by godzilla1541 »

BARAGONZILLA
JXSDF Technician

Post by BARAGONZILLA »

I know this isn't Godzilla, but I am working on some custom H.G. Wells War of the Worlds tripod models, and a Ray Harryhausen style martian. It won't look like his design, but it will look more like the 1953 martian. I say it is Ray Harryhausen style, I mean I am going ti build the martian in the style he built his models.
This is the beginning of the end.

Monster Zero
Futurian

Post by Monster Zero »

BARAGONZILLA wrote:I know this isn't Godzilla, but I am working on some custom H.G. Wells War of the Worlds tripod models, and a Ray Harryhausen style martian. It won't look like his design, but it will look more like the 1953 martian. I say it is Ray Harryhausen style, I mean I am going ti build the martian in the style he built his models.
Whoa! Cool! I can't wait to see what this'll look like in the end!!!

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

Damn, haven't posted in here in a while! Glad it's being used by someone else :P Been seeing some interesting work in here.

MonsterArts Black MG2 is still on the back burner. Haven't touched him since my last post.

However, I've been working on a full body repaint of the Ultra Kaiju DX - Five King for a while now. On and off. I'm mainly waiting until July to score a second Golza I can cannibalize his head for Five King, since I hate the "clueless" expression on the general figure. With his Reicubus arm, I royally fucked up on the wrong shade of yellow. Luckly it's salvageable as I can just paint over it with some darkened lemon yellow (only shade I got). For awhile I almost chucked the whole figure but a full body repaint renewed my interest. when I finish the Gan-Q hand and Reicubus claw I'll show you what I have.

BARAGONZILLA
JXSDF Technician

Post by BARAGONZILLA »

Does anyone know what material would replace the rubber that is used for the bendy tails on Neca's figures. I was thinking eva foam that is used for cosplay but I wasn't sure.
This is the beginning of the end.

Creature22
EDF Instructor

Post by Creature22 »

So I had a little rubber Eleking from way back in the day (he came in a bag with other "generic" Ultra monsters). I decided to paint him up to make him more suit accurate.

BEFORE:
Notice the black and green colors... red mouth too. He looks more like Gorgo (which I thought he was as a kid, ironically).

AFTER:
The finished product. Did some black highlights and silver mouth over the cream base. The other guys behind him are about an inch high- so he was slightly difficult to work with (also considering he didn't have a base). I believe he is a more or less an inch tall, to put that into perspective. I wish I could get that excess rubber off of the arms though.
Back view.

Overall, I think he looks pretty good. Went through some trial and error but mistakes can always be fixed.

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

Creature22 wrote:AFTER:
The finished product. Did some black highlights and silver mouth over the cream base. The other guys behind him are about an inch high- so he was slightly difficult to work with (also considering he didn't have a base). I believe he is a more or less an inch tall, to put that into perspective. I wish I could get that excess rubber off of the arms though.

Overall, I think he looks pretty good. Went through some trial and error but mistakes can always be fixed.
Good job Creature. You should be able to cut the rubber flash with a really sharp hobby knife or grind it off with low speed dremel tool. I dunno if a low grit sandpaper can rub away finer points of not, but its worth a try to see.

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

For the black spots on his stomach, you should have used ink wash rather than try and freehand it with a brush.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

Creature22
EDF Instructor

Post by Creature22 »

SpaceG92 wrote:Good job Creature. You should be able to cut the rubber flash with a really sharp hobby knife or grind it off with low speed dremel tool. I dunno if a low grit sandpaper can rub away finer points of not, but its worth a try to see.
Thanks! I think grinding the excess rubber might do the trick.
Breakdown wrote:For the black spots on his stomach, you should have used ink wash rather than try and freehand it with a brush.
Wash would have worked well, but I didn't have any on me (plus, his detailing was minimal enough that the 0 brush worked fine to fill in the little bits). I might try that next time I do a character with more detail. I'll have to keep it in mind.

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

Made a custom Godzilla 1989 figure out of NECA's Godzilla 1994
Spoiler:

The most drastic modification is also somewhat the hardest to see. I used hot glue to make the brow bigger and more menacing while also trimming down the lower jaw and making the chin bigger with a strip of hot glue. I painted the eyes darker and rearranged the spines so the biggest one was at the shoulder like the actual suit. It was pretty easy to do since the NECA figure already looked a ton more like Biogoji than Mogegoji.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

I think I found the thread I was looking for... fuck yeah customs!!!!
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

Breakdown wrote:Made a custom Godzilla 1989 figure out of NECA's Godzilla 1994
Been thinking about doing similar stuff myself. I've seen a few people mod their 94's now and i'm slowly building up confidence again to start repaintnig and customizing. Which brings up the next few points regarding my repaints. Oh boy.

Ultra Monster DX Five King Repaint/Custom: Been working on this guy for a little bit now. No pictures yet, since he's still a bare bones WIP, but what started out as a simple recolor sorta turned rogue and went off into it's own thing. I'll be picking this up later in the year, or use it as a testing ground for an upcoming project. Also been thinking about splicing the Ultra 500 Golza head on this figures head, since I kinda hate the open mouth look.

S.H. MonsterArts Black MechaGodzilla 1992: This is the custom/repaint that led to me ultimately giving up on repaints. Officially a dead project now. After spending quite the while actually painting the thing but mistake after mistake built up and well...I botched it horribly. I managed to scar the figure while attempting to remove a mistake in the paint (long story) which led to me using a knife to cut off the paint and ultimately damage to leg of the figure. I HIGHLY regret doing what I did and hopefully I can strip the paint and salvage the project later this year and pass him off to his original intended home. I might attempt to clean him off later and start from scratch.

Billiken Mechagodzilla 1975: Upcoming project. Not a custom figure per say, but a vinyl model kit which has spurred a renewed hope and interest in repaints/customs. I've been testing and learning a great deal more since my last mistake, and hopefully I'll be able to tackle the Billiken kit right with some new tools! Mainly an airbrush(s) kit, kneaded eraser and a whole new supply of brushes. Before tackling the Billiken kit, I hope to repaint another vinyl figure to build up confidence again and ultimately the skill level required to do the kit justice.

S.H. MonsterArts Godzilla 2014: Planned later down the road before the Billiken kit. I'll attempt to correct the paint (and add some) to the MonsterArts figure. Mainly to fix the bloody nose, gingivitis/cavity teeth, repaint the nails, fix the misplaced green paint across his torso and if I feel ballsy, I'll attempt to fix the eyes. The latter of which is a stretch goal, but the former are the primary goal.

All in all, it's a laundry list of project rights now but hopefully i'll all end up golden instead of rusty age old copper... :| Looking forward to everyone else projects though :D Wish you'all better luck then me!

SUPERTOHOREMIX
Futurian

Post by SUPERTOHOREMIX »

SpaceG92 wrote:
Breakdown wrote:Made a custom Godzilla 1989 figure out of NECA's Godzilla 1994
Been thinking about doing similar stuff myself. I've seen a few people mod their 94's now and i'm slowly building up confidence again to start repaintnig and customizing. Which brings up the next few points regarding my repaints. Oh boy.

Ultra Monster DX Five King Repaint/Custom: Been working on this guy for a little bit now. No pictures yet, since he's still a bare bones WIP, but what started out as a simple recolor sorta turned rogue and went off into it's own thing. I'll be picking this up later in the year, or use it as a testing ground for an upcoming project. Also been thinking about splicing the Ultra 500 Golza head on this figures head, since I kinda hate the open mouth look.

S.H. MonsterArts Black MechaGodzilla 1992: This is the custom/repaint that led to me ultimately giving up on repaints. Officially a dead project now. After spending quite the while actually painting the thing but mistake after mistake built up and well...I botched it horribly. I managed to scar the figure while attempting to remove a mistake in the paint (long story) which led to me using a knife to cut off the paint and ultimately damage to leg of the figure. I HIGHLY regret doing what I did and hopefully I can strip the paint and salvage the project later this year and pass him off to his original intended home. I might attempt to clean him off later and start from scratch.

Billiken Mechagodzilla 1975: Upcoming project. Not a custom figure per say, but a vinyl model kit which has spurred a renewed hope and interest in repaints/customs. I've been testing and learning a great deal more since my last mistake, and hopefully I'll be able to tackle the Billiken kit right with some new tools! Mainly an airbrush(s) kit, kneaded eraser and a whole new supply of brushes. Before tackling the Billiken kit, I hope to repaint another vinyl figure to build up confidence again and ultimately the skill level required to do the kit justice.

S.H. MonsterArts Godzilla 2014: Planned later down the road before the Billiken kit. I'll attempt to correct the paint (and add some) to the MonsterArts figure. Mainly to fix the bloody nose, gingivitis/cavity teeth, repaint the nails, fix the misplaced green paint across his torso and if I feel ballsy, I'll attempt to fix the eyes. The latter of which is a stretch goal, but the former are the primary goal.

All in all, it's a laundry list of project rights now but hopefully i'll all end up golden instead of rusty age old copper... :| Looking forward to everyone else projects though :D Wish you'all better luck then me!

Sounds like a solid scheme you got going there. Good luck Obi Wan!

Creature22
EDF Instructor

Post by Creature22 »

Back with another custom. I have a few more of the little rubber Ultraseven monsters, so I figure I'll continue to test with them.
The next character:
King Joe!
This one came out a bit better than Eleking, whose paint had a chemical reaction and became sticky with the rubber. I switched to acrylics and they worked MUCH better. They also dried much faster.
The finished product (for the most part). Bad lighting but the gold finish looks pretty good in person; not as dull. I'll probably go over the blue parts with other colors to better match the suit, as this one was kind of a test/rushed job. Also gonna add another gold coating to certain parts. I'm looking into doing some black washing/flesh basing for other figures, as I've painted several cheap Pathfinder characters to test with better paints and techniques. I'm planning on doing some keshi Toho monsters when I get better.

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

Creature22 wrote:I switched to acrylics and they worked MUCH better.
The finished product (for the most part). Bad lighting but the gold finish looks pretty good in person; not as dull. I'll probably go over the blue parts with other colors to better match the suit, as this one was kind of a test/rushed job. Also gonna add another gold coating to certain parts. I'm looking into doing some black washing/flesh basing for other figures, as I've painted several cheap Pathfinder characters to test with better paints and techniques. I'm planning on doing some keshi Toho monsters when I get better.
Acrylics master race!

I kinda liked the black and green original colors :P For a rushed job, it looks good. The over paint I assume is part of the rushed part, but if you don't already have one, I'd invest in a "Fine Detail" brush. The Pathfinder pick ups is a good investment, from there I'd like to see you move on to Bandai figures in the future ;)

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

New project! A 66Action Repaint. Plan on actually starting on it tomorrow. At least priming and base coat.
Resized Image

WARNING! If you want to attempt this at home. Those pins that secure the hinge joint are SUPER TINY! It requires some force to pop out, I used a very tiny screw driver after heating up the joint for a bit. Pops right out, but I lost one because it shot out like a rocket. So I had to scavenge a pin off a 66 Action Leo.

I plan to sand the joint for the hinge a tad so the contact isn't so tight and it won't scrape the paint off. Otherwise, it's pretty straight forward. I plan on attempting to disassemble Taro's head, but that's seeming less and less likely, since I think it's pegged and glued. Some guy removed Ultraman's head, but didn't say exactly how. Image. Plus, it shows off his AWESOME LED fitted 66Action Ultraman.

I'll also be cannibalizing Leo's spare hands or at least one set as well.

Mechagigan
Futurian

Post by Mechagigan »

So, as I've talked about in the bootleg and new purchases threads, I've been working on repainting a bootlegged Bandai G'84. Finally finished it today - normally it wouldn't/shouldn't take so long, but it's been more of a side project for spare time :P.

There wasn't much to it, being a straight-up repaint.

The biggest part was getting the spines painted nice and gray. To do that quickly, the figure got mummified in painter's tape (leaving out the spikes themselves). Then, they got a few sprays with some gray spraypaint, and they were good to go. Other than a few stray marks I covered up, it worked fine.

To get rid of the gold eyes, I used nail polish remover and some Q-Tips. It came off pretty cleanly that way. I didn't bother taking off the claws, because they were nice enough as they were and I was gonna cover them with light grey anyways (it's hard to see in the pictures, but it's there).

Nicely enough, the pupils were sculpted in, so it was pretty easy to paint them in once the white of the eyes was done.

For the claws and the individual spines on the tail, I used a pretty similar grey to the one used for the big spines. Any slop from the original paint job got covered with basic black paint.

The mouth I left all alone; it looks perfectly fine, to me. They even painted the mouth-tongue area pink, as it should be.

So, here's some shots of the finished product...
Like I said, the claws are grey, but the flash really hid that.

Here's a few comparisons...

The only part I didn't do was the white spray on the chest and knees, but it didn't seem necessary. He looks fine solid.

That said, I'm pretty happy with how he came out! Definitely worth the $30, instead of the crazy prices asked for the real thing. :)

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

He came out good! You can always dry brush on some dark grey or what on his chest or use a sponge in some paint to mimic the same effect as dry brushing. It should make his scale pop out real nice ;)

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

Still surprised no ones made a proper Jirass out of the SHMA Godzilla 1964...
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

Lain Of The Wired wrote:Still surprised no ones made a proper Jirass out of the SHMA Godzilla 1964...
http://ameblo.jp/ultrahector/entry-11756169418.html

A few exist, this is just one.