GODZILLA: RULERS OF EARTH #24 - REACTION THREAD

For the discussion of Toho comics, books, posters, trading cards and any other merchandise that doesn't fall under the other categories.
Mr. X
Keizer

GODZILLA: RULERS OF EARTH #24 - REACTION THREAD

Post by Mr. X »

The Trilopod and Cryog assault rages on! Out this Wednesday!

http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2015 ... e-preview/

I've been dying to read this one. That's the case for every issue, yeah, but the last one really left me looking to this one. Everyone's converging on one location, we're ready to go full climax mode!
G2000 wrote:
2004Zilla wrote:May God have mercy on this site.
He's given up
2009MECHAGODZILLA wrote:
G2000 wrote:What about leeks? Can we post leeks?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... 3/Leek.jpg
http://orig02.deviantart.net/f900/f/201 ... 9nqjrv.png

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Re: GODZILLA: RULERS OF EARTH #24 - REACTION THREAD

Post by g2vd »

The review is up.. a particular Kaiju destroyed the Cryog home world I believe you might know who that is.
http://www.tohokingdom.com/comics/idw_g ... th_24.html
Godzilla

Dracosaurian
JXSDF Technician

Post by Dracosaurian »

Oh this is gonna be good.... :lol:

B34sT
Interpol Agent

Post by B34sT »

Just finished reading and wow things are leading nicely to the climax. The emperor seems even more despicable knowing his background. Also all the Trilopods shown in this issue are very awesome looking.

Also glad to see so many easter eggs in this issue as well.

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

Somebody better post a scan of Ghidorah.
Godzilla

Mr. X
Keizer

Post by Mr. X »

Been really hyped for this one and, well, I'd say it lived up to the hype. SPOILERS!!

The human element worked much better in this issue than issue #22. The opening with Woods, showing how much he's come to care for Lucy, definitely adds to his character, in addition to his dedication to evacuating the city. The Cryog side of things is where this one really shines, though, to me. We finally got an explanation for why Rhizon's little crew had been hiding, and more on the emperor. It adds a lot to both characters - its curious to see Rhizon as almost sort of sympathetic now, despite being the main antagonist for most of the series. He's by no means a good guy or anything, or good in any way, but certainly the lesser of two evils.

It was great seeing the returning monsters, well, return, especially Jet Jaguar (and I really like the added touches to show how long he'd been down at the bottom of the ocean). I was a bit afraid Godzilla was just going to rise up and fight/defeat all three Trilopod hybrids at once like the Mechagodzilla army, which thankfully wasn't the case (though the one he did defeat by himself was a bit... questionable). King Ghidorah's appearance was... unexpected, to say the least. I'm guessing this is a different Ghidorah, no? The continuity between the three ongoing series has been loose, and monster designs have changed between them and such, but I don't think they'd have two incarnations in one series (other than Gigan). I'm going to assume its a different Ghidorah.

The art was amazing. I don't think I even need to say it, we're 24 issues in after all. I liked how all the Godzilla Trilopods had different era dorsal fins. That was a nice touch. Not only the monsters, but the humans and Cryogs as well. I do have one complaint about the colors, though - on the last page, two monsters have to have switched colors, which is a bit glaring. But I've never really had an issue with coloring before, its always been great.

Overall, not as climactic as I was expecting, for I was kind of expecting all the kaiju craziness to begin in this one, and there were only a few in this one. But I really did like this issue. We were strong on all sides of the story. The last issue's going to be a doozy though, so much is going to happen. The wait is going to be torturous. ;)
G2000 wrote:
He's given up
2009MECHAGODZILLA wrote:

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

g2vd wrote:Somebody better post a scan of Ghidorah.
Spoiler:
Wish granted :)

Thoroughly enjoyed this issue. Very much looking forward to the finale!
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Where to begin?

The hybrids look really awesome. I love the Gairapod and Gezorapod. By having a Gaira pod there it gives us closure to the monster island issue. Even though Gaira and Sanda fought the Trilopods and defeated many they were eventually overcome by the Trilopod army. The appearance of Gezora indicates that yes tons of kaiju were rounded up off screen. No reason to not assume Zilla, Ebirah and many more are there. Also cool to see Goropod. One oddity is the Kameopod, you can't see his face. I'm guessing Kameobas will be in the next issue finale but won't have any huge roles and be more of a cameo. Also where are the Mothrapods!

I loved Jet Jaguar in this issue. The underwater touch was nice and it's a cool "nautical" Jet Jaguar complete with a giant anchor weapon! His fight against the trilopods and the Gojipod will probably continue innyje next issue.

I have a feeling Gigan won't go back to earth. The next issue will probably briefly slashing apart the fleet in space.

Ghidorahs quick appearance was nice, great to finally have more backstory on Rhizon, he's more likeable now. The emperor is the worst though!

My main complaint is the treatment of the Godzilla pods, one presumably just gets killed by Godzilla. I'm hoping they put up more of a fight in the next issue. It was cool seeing them use Godzilla's beam though.

Woods and Chavez had some good dialogue, way less generic than the last issue and I'm glad to see they're in the finale. This did prepare everything for the finale seeing as everyone is now in LA. Gigan, Jet Jaguar, Mougera and Kiryu (woods said they're coming), Lucy and Co, all the other monsters are in LA so just as the last page promises the next issue will be one gigantic battle. And it's double length! I'm looking foward to it so much.....but the worst part is that I'll be in Japan this time next month so unless it's released online I'll have to wait a few weeks to read it! :(
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Mr. X
Keizer

Post by Mr. X »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:My main complaint is the treatment of the Godzilla pods, one presumably just gets killed by Godzilla. I'm hoping they put up more of a fight in the next issue. It was cool seeing them use Godzilla's beam though.
I mentioned this too. I don't think he killed it, but its hard to say.

I know Godzilla's... certainly got enough on his hands (that's an understatement). But, I do hope that's not the end of the Godzilla hybrids.
G2000 wrote:
He's given up
2009MECHAGODZILLA wrote:

antovald20
Terminated
Terminated

Post by antovald20 »

GigaBowserG wrote:

I don't like how Ghidorah looks here. Especially the neck area. Showa Ghidorah just looks really outdated, and still goofy. I prefer the other looks to this one.
"Continuity gotta love it. :D"- antovald20

EVERY KAIJU FAN SHOULD CHECK THIS OUT! HIT THE LINK BELOW!
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Nxd7cleqz74

GODZILLA VS GAMERA! THE ULTIMATE BATTLE IS FINALLY HERE! CLICK THE LINK BELOW TO SEE
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iMOl-amah8w

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

antovald20 wrote:
GigaBowserG wrote:

I don't like how Ghidorah looks here. Especially the neck area. Showa Ghidorah just looks really outdated, and still goofy. I prefer the other looks to this one.
"UGHHHH WHY IS GHIDORAH FROM HIS GMK FORM, NO ONE LIKES THAT"
"WHAT, HEISEI GHIDORAH? COOL BUT IT ISNT SHOWA GHIDORAH"
"WHEN ARE THEY GOING TO PUT SHOWA GHIDORAH IN, IDW HASNT GOTTEN GHIDORAH RIGHT"
"(Insert your comment here)"

Ghidorah looks fine. You haven't even read the issue so you don't know he only appears on one page so it's not even worth whining about one panel.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Dracosaurian
JXSDF Technician

Post by Dracosaurian »

This issue was very enjoyable seeing the different trilopod hybrids was awesome. It was also great to see king ghidorah in all his planet killing glory even if it was just a flashback.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Whoa! That's actually a really cool surprise seeing that monster pop up even for just a panel.

GreenScar1990
Monarch Researcher

Post by GreenScar1990 »

GigaBowserG wrote:

Great to see the real King Ghidorah in all of his planet-killing glory. Can't wait to pick and read the issue next Wednesday when I go to get my comics.

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

antovald20 wrote:
GigaBowserG wrote:

I think they made Showa Ghidorah look awesome as hell. maybe the Heisei one looks a little better, but Showa looks epic they really made him look good.
Godzilla

Mr. X
Keizer

Post by Mr. X »

Ew, Showa? Showa's for O L D P E O P L E

:roll:

I just read TK's review, it seems there might be a bit of confusion on Ghidorah. I do wish they made that clearer - Rhizon could've mentioned something about Earth's Ghidorah. I hope somebody from the book can clarify this just to put an end to any doubt. I'm certain that that was the point of making it the Showa version, but clarification's always good.

Also probably don't need to mention it, but this is the Ghidorah we've been wanting to see. Wish he got more than a single page though. We're on the right track though, hopefully one day we'll see a series that focuses more on the best King Ghidorah.
G2000 wrote:
He's given up
2009MECHAGODZILLA wrote:

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Mr. X wrote:Ew, Showa? Showa's for O L D P E O P L E

:roll:

I just read TK's review, it seems there might be a bit of confusion on Ghidorah. I do wish they made that clearer - Rhizon could've mentioned something about Earth's Ghidorah. I hope somebody from the book can clarify this just to put an end to any doubt. I'm certain that that was the point of making it the Showa version, but clarification's always good.

Also probably don't need to mention it, but this is the Ghidorah we've been wanting to see. Wish he got more than a single page though. We're on the right track though, hopefully one day we'll see a series that focuses more on the best King Ghidorah.
If this means anything it's kind of clear that the Showa Ghidorah is seperate from the earlier Heisei Ghidorah that appeared. Both were drawn by Matt Frank and are in the same time span. It's not like the weird carry over of GMK Ghidorah from KOM to ROE. Based on the fact that the Cryog weren't able to defeat it means it's way more powerful than all the monsters in the series.

My only question, which I have a feeling won't be answered(though I don't mind) is why didn't the emperor use the trilopods against Ghidorah? There's the possibility that the trilopods were just too strong or at that moment the Emperor didn't have trilopods under his control. This of course raises the question, how long is the gap between that panel and the Trilopod/Cryog invasion? I could see the cryog living for thousands of years and the emperor getting the trilopods somehow and Rhizon doing his own things like trying to find a new homeworld and his failed attempts at taking over the earth.

In trade 4 Rhizon talks about when he found Heisei Ghidorah. He says he's never seen it before but heard of it. Keep in mind when he sees Heisei Ghidorah it's been completely destroyed. So obviously he can tell the difference between the two Ghidorahs because he saw the Showa one yet recognizes the Heisei Ghidorah as a seperate monster. At the beginning of issue 17 Rhizon remarks,"perhaps it fled to call on another of it's kind?"
This comment clearly indicates Rhizon is aware of multiple Ghidorahs. It's possible that in this universe there is a species of Ghidorahs and not just one singular Ghidorah. The Heisei Ghidorah probably came to earth long ago during the age of monsters and was trapped in the mountain. During the issues of KOM it's beaten by Godzilla HD then later ressurected by Rhizon as MKG. It's entirely possible that this Ghidorah is way weaker than the Showa Ghidorah who is akin to an alpha.

Of course a lot of this is never ending, we can keep asking questions about the universe that never end.

Mr. X
Keizer

Post by Mr. X »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: If this means anything it's kind of clear that the Showa Ghidorah is seperate from the earlier Heisei Ghidorah that appeared. Both were drawn by Matt Frank and are in the same time span. It's not like the weird carry over of GMK Ghidorah from KOM to ROE. Based on the fact that the Cryog weren't able to defeat it means it's way more powerful than all the monsters in the series.
I know its meant to be another Ghidorah, but it might be confusing to others. Anthony said in the TK review that it might just be "artistic license taken in how [Ghidorah is] presented."
My only question, which I have a feeling won't be answered(though I don't mind) is why didn't the emperor use the trilopods against Ghidorah? There's the possibility that the trilopods were just too strong or at that moment the Emperor didn't have trilopods under his control. This of course raises the question, how long is the gap between that panel and the Trilopod/Cryog invasion? I could see the cryog living for thousands of years and the emperor getting the trilopods somehow and Rhizon doing his own things like trying to find a new homeworld and his failed attempts at taking over the earth.
I think the Trilopods are rather new. I've always assumed Rhizon never knew about them. Based on his dialogue in issue #20-21, and how the emperor explains everything to him, I get the feeling he wasn't aware of them, or had only heard of them, suggesting the emperor created them after the planet was destroyed, or maybe even kept them off the planet.
In trade 4 Rhizon talks about when he found Heisei Ghidorah. He says he's never seen it before but heard of it. Keep in mind when he sees Heisei Ghidorah it's been completely destroyed. So obviously he can tell the difference between the two Ghidorahs because he saw the Showa one yet recognizes the Heisei Ghidorah as a seperate monster. At the beginning of issue 17 Rhizon remarks,"perhaps it fled to call on another of it's kind?"
This comment clearly indicates Rhizon is aware of multiple Ghidorahs. It's possible that in this universe there is a species of Ghidorahs and not just one singular Ghidorah. The Heisei Ghidorah probably came to earth long ago during the age of monsters and was trapped in the mountain. During the issues of KOM it's beaten by Godzilla HD then later ressurected by Rhizon as MKG. It's entirely possible that this Ghidorah is way weaker than the Showa Ghidorah who is akin to an alpha.
When he said he never saw Ghidorah, I figure it might've just that he hadn't seen Earth's Ghidorah.

Either way, this issue pretty much confirms beyond any doubt that Earth's King Ghidorah is an alien. Issue #9 was the first to suggest it, and issue #17 strongly enforced that idea as well. (Though as I said when the issue came out, that "finding another of its kind" comment could be interpreted in two ways, one of which being that they know there are more Ghidorahs, and the other, which I assumed was the actual answer, was that they simply assumed it was looking for others, because why else would it flee to space rather than just flee the battle scene and remain on Earth?). This is the first instance we've actually seen another member of the Ghidorah species.
G2000 wrote:
He's given up
2009MECHAGODZILLA wrote:

antovald20
Terminated
Terminated

Post by antovald20 »

Yeah there just making stuff up without much thought. This issue won't answer any questions or anything really. I'm not gonna buy this.
"Continuity gotta love it. :D"- antovald20

EVERY KAIJU FAN SHOULD CHECK THIS OUT! HIT THE LINK BELOW!
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Nxd7cleqz74

GODZILLA VS GAMERA! THE ULTIMATE BATTLE IS FINALLY HERE! CLICK THE LINK BELOW TO SEE
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iMOl-amah8w

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

antovald20 wrote:Yeah there just making stuff up without much thought. This issue won't answer any questions or anything really. I'm not gonna buy this.
Says the person who hasn't even read the issue.
If you actually read it you'd know it does clear a lot of things up.
My comment about more questions was more about how in any form of fiction you can just keep asking questions and more questions are raised. It's nothing special to this comic and for a Godzilla comic it does a really good job at delivering action, creative ideas, amazing monsters and good enough characters.