3D printing your own kaiju

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
All_Humans_Must_Die
G-Grasper

3D printing your own kaiju

Post by All_Humans_Must_Die »

I've had this idea buzzing around in my head for a few days, since 3D printers are becoming more and more common I was thinking of getting one and printing figures of my own original kaiju and mechas to go with my collection
For the sake of peace, for the sake of balance, and for the sake of the earth... All humans must die

GodzillavsGamera
G-Grasper

Re: 3D printing your own kaiju

Post by GodzillavsGamera »

Not at all a bad Idea just going to take a bit of work and the right software. I felt making accessories for the figures would be a much better route to go like buildings military stuff etc. Lots of already made meshes for the accessories just waiting to be used.

ILL GREEN
Gotengo Officer

Post by ILL GREEN »

Its a good idea. Just remember 3D printers aren't so clear in detail so you'll have to work it a little by filing it and use some putty.

The artists in our group usually use 3D printers to bring their ideas to reality but they still have to make adjustments and whatnot for the figure to be finalized before making a mold.

My dos centavos.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

ILL GREEN wrote:Its a good idea. Just remember 3D printers aren't so clear in detail so you'll have to work it a little by filing it and use some putty.

The artists in our group usually use 3D printers to bring their ideas to reality but they still have to make adjustments and whatnot for the figure to be finalized before making a mold.

My dos centavos.
Remember the digital artist dope pope? He does really cool 3D models. Maybe we could get him or someone similar to make designs for things like Dogora or other monsters in need of a figure. Of course Id want his approval first but it's an ideas.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Kaiju Bagles
Yojimbo

Post by Kaiju Bagles »

This would be perfect for making a bunch of buildings and dioramas for stop motion animations.
Check out my Youtube channel if you like Kaiju stuff:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGY2Oo ... E_bw8oLTBQ

ILL GREEN
Gotengo Officer

Post by ILL GREEN »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
ILL GREEN wrote:Its a good idea. Just remember 3D printers aren't so clear in detail so you'll have to work it a little by filing it and use some putty.

My dos centavos.
Remember the digital artist dope pope? He does really cool 3D models. Maybe we could get him or someone similar to make designs for things like Dogora or other monsters in need of a figure. Of course Id want his approval first but it's an ideas.
Of course I do :D I haven't seen Dope Pope in a while. But he'll want a commision for crafting the figures. He is on to other things in the field so this might hold him back if no money is involved.

There might be files online of the monsters for the 3D printer though. Just can't find them.

Mr. X
Keizer

Post by Mr. X »

You know, I've wondered if you'd be able to make your own figures this way before. But I don't know much about it. This stuff is all witchcraft as far as I'm concerned.
G2000 wrote:
2004Zilla wrote:May God have mercy on this site.
He's given up
2009MECHAGODZILLA wrote:
G2000 wrote:What about leeks? Can we post leeks?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... 3/Leek.jpg
http://orig02.deviantart.net/f900/f/201 ... 9nqjrv.png

All_Humans_Must_Die
G-Grasper

Mr. X wrote:You know, I've wondered if you'd be able to make your own figures this way before. But I don't know much about it. This stuff is all witchcraft as far as I'm concerned.
from what I've seen on YouTube yes you can make figures even with working joints, but it probably depends on both the printer and the software
For the sake of peace, for the sake of balance, and for the sake of the earth... All humans must die

KaijuFiend
Rainbowzilla

Post by KaijuFiend »

It's a shame 3D printers are expensive as fuck, otherwise I'd be doing exactly this. I wonder how much it costs to 3D print a figure? If it would be less than $50 for a figure that scales with 6" Bandai vinyls, including slight stouter bodies and slightly bigger head, feet, and claws as the vinyls are stylized in such a way, perhaps we could work out a few commissions in the future. I also wonder if simplistic articulation like the vinyls have is possible.

Dyrakro
Interpol Agent

Post by Dyrakro »

As Spore can be used for designing creatures you can print out later, many lazy people will get around with the possibilties they get through the Creature Creator and build their kaijus, monsters, dragons, whatever with it.

A 3D printer also makes movable action figures (legs, arms, ...) possible, so this will be definitely a big deal for everybody.

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

Déjà Vu. I just had this conversation with someone. I've seen 3D Printed things before, and well they have a weird "grainy" texture to them. If you want it to be smooth, I believe you have dip it in Acetone for a bit and slowly sandpaper it smooth with some low grit paper. However, if you can deal with any of the above, it really opens up the world to new figures and the likes. As mentioned above by others. People have made articulated figures with joints with 3D printers. Onto more relevant things, I remember Ashram52 on here had a 3D printed Super X3 before MonsterArts released one. Came out pretty darn good.

As to actually making 3D printed Godzilla figures. Can't you get into serious trouble if you charge/commission them because of the whole Copyright/Trademark/Rights thing?

KaijuFiend
Rainbowzilla

Post by KaijuFiend »

SpaceG92 wrote: As to actually making 3D printed Godzilla figures. Can't you get into serious trouble if you charge/commission them because of the whole Copyright/Trademark/Rights thing?
Shhh! We'll commission them via PMs. No one has to know ;)

All_Humans_Must_Die
G-Grasper

KaijuFiend wrote:
SpaceG92 wrote: As to actually making 3D printed Godzilla figures. Can't you get into serious trouble if you charge/commission them because of the whole Copyright/Trademark/Rights thing?
Shhh! We'll commission them via PMs. No one has to know ;)
I think this is the dawn of a new underground market :lol:
Last edited by All_Humans_Must_Die on Tue May 19, 2015 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

KaijuFiend
Rainbowzilla

Post by KaijuFiend »

It's Toho's fault for not providing me with Zilla, Cyber Zilla, Bagan, or Gryphon vinyls :P An alternative solution is that we could alter the designs and call them something else. I'd be fine having em look a little different as long they resemble the character in certain aspects.

All_Humans_Must_Die
G-Grasper

KaijuFiend wrote:It's Toho's fault for not providing me with Zilla, Cyber Zilla, Bagan, or Gryphon vinyls :P
and not allowing neca to make mutos

M.o.g.u.e.r.a14
EDF Instructor

Post by M.o.g.u.e.r.a14 »

How do they work?
Fan of Godzilla, Pacific Rim, Sailor Moon, and Transformers.
Dezerb wrote: buenos ding dong didily dias senor.
http://i.imgur.com/PpE0DEQ.gif

Moguera14 X Sailor Moon

master_of_monsters
EDF Instructor

Post by master_of_monsters »

I've actually had this idea for a while, I was thinking about creating articulated renditions of dinosaurs based on outdated paleoart (upright, taildraggers) and calling the line Dinosauria
your source of self destruction

ゴジマン
G-Force Personnel

Post by ゴジマン »

I've thought about this too for making buildings, weapons, destroyed mechs, bases, and vehicles. I think it would be an amazing idea. I've always wanted to use a 3d printer to make buildings for my SHMA more than anything
Yes, Hatsune is my Waifu...
goji89 wrote:Shin Goji looks like he has a red apron on. Guess he's still cooking himself extra crispy. :lol: .