Talkback:Battle in Outer Space (1959)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Mothralover1997
Samurai

Talkback:Battle in Outer Space (1959)

Post by Mothralover1997 »

I just saw this movie (Japanese Version)- And I have to say, I don't know what to make of it. Has anybody else seen it?

Missingno.
G-Grasper

Re: Talkback:Battle in Outer Space (1959)

Post by Missingno. »

Trash. That is what I have to say about the film. The acting is terrible and the almost never-seen Nataral appear only one time, which is briefly, and it makes them seem less of a threat due to their lack of screen time. The only thing that makes this film really worthwhile is the SFX. I can't see this as a pseudo-sequel to The Mysterians, I just can't... Just like GINO and Godzilla's Revenge, this film is very passable, and wouldn't hurt if you never watch it.
TK's resident other 1980's fan who longs for that decade's return, and severe weather fanatic.
LSD Jellyfish wrote:WOW WHAT HONOL. SO KOOR, VERY JOUZU KAWAII SOU DESU NE. AHHHH OKII CHINKO DESU KA. MMMMM CHICHI, WATSHI NO MANKO NI CHINKO O IKYUUUUUUUU
NEVER FORGET:
8-8-2015
R.I.P. Games forum
Resized ImageResized Image
The 80's----The weather!

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I have a DVD of it but I've never actually watched it all the way through. I watched like the first ten minutes and gave up. I feel like if I try to watch it again I'll have the same experience. Mysterians was awesome, this wasn't.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

Meh.....I prefer watching it with the commentary on because of how informative it is.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

It's a fucking chore to sit through.
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Based on all your reactions the question now is:
Is Battle in outer Space the worst TOHO scifi production?
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Julia Bristow
EDF Instructor

Post by Julia Bristow »

A decent scifi film (IMO anyway) yeah its not that great of a film (the acting in this film is nothing to write home about but the visual effects are pretty good) as for BIOS being the worst Toho scifi film my answer is no that honor belongs to Space Amoeba
All Movie snobs can just f off IMO

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Julia Bristow wrote:A decent scifi film (IMO anyway) yeah its not that great of a film (the acting in this film is nothing to write home about but the visual effects are pretty good) as for BIOS being the worst Toho scifi film my answer is no that honor belongs to Space Amoeba
What? Space Amoeba is pretty good. It had a lot of monster action, cool soundtrack. For once the humans were really integral to the plot as well.

Young Guy
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Young Guy »

Isn't this just a Star Wars rip-off?

Mothralover1997
Samurai

Young Guy wrote:Isn't this just a Star Wars rip-off?
This movie came out in 1959. Star Wars was released in 1977. So no. That fraud Lucas has been ripping off Toho's imaginative masterpieces since the beginning.

Young Guy
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Young Guy »

Mothralover1997 wrote:
This movie came out in 1959. Star Wars was released in 1977. So no. That fraud Lucas has been ripping off Toho's imaginative masterpieces since the beginning.
Huh, well then. I guess Chewbacca is a rip-off the Beastman.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Mothralover1997 wrote:
I wouldn't call it a rip off. Elements of Star Wars 1977 were taken from Kurosawa's hidden fortress and it makes you wonder if this was an inspiration. However being inspired and taking elements from something doesn't make it bad, nothing in fiction is wholly original. A lot of the alien designs were original and there was a lot of creativity involved in the original Star Wars.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

You're thinking of War in Space, made in 1977. THAT'S the Star Wars rip off.

Battle in Outer Space isn't perfect, but it's far from trash. Give me a break with that shit. At least give it a watch for it's musical score and special effects.

Missingno.
G-Grasper

Post by Missingno. »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
Julia Bristow wrote:A decent scifi film (IMO anyway) yeah its not that great of a film (the acting in this film is nothing to write home about but the visual effects are pretty good) as for BIOS being the worst Toho scifi film my answer is no that honor belongs to Space Amoeba
What? Space Amoeba is pretty good. It had a lot of monster action, cool soundtrack. For once the humans were really integral to the plot as well.
I wouldn't put this one at the very bottom of the list, but it is pretty far down there, and I'd say Godzilla's Revenge is the dead last. And why do you say Space Amoeba? I got it on DVD it a couple of days ago in its original cut having low expectations, but was actually very impressed with it, and it was definitely the last film of the golden age of Japanese cinema, though good ones would follow as well.
TK's resident other 1980's fan who longs for that decade's return, and severe weather fanatic.
LSD Jellyfish wrote:WOW WHAT HONOL. SO KOOR, VERY JOUZU KAWAII SOU DESU NE. AHHHH OKII CHINKO DESU KA. MMMMM CHICHI, WATSHI NO MANKO NI CHINKO O IKYUUUUUUUU
NEVER FORGET:
8-8-2015
R.I.P. Games forum
Resized ImageResized Image
The 80's----The weather!

Mothralover1997
Samurai

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
Mothralover1997 wrote:
I wouldn't call it a rip off. Elements of Star Wars 1977 were taken from Kurosawa's hidden fortress and it makes you wonder if this was an inspiration. However being inspired and taking elements from something doesn't make it bad, nothing in fiction is wholly original. A lot of the alien designs were original and there was a lot of creativity involved in the original Star Wars.[/quote[Pic]http://i1.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/ori ... hejoke.jpg[/Pic]

Young Guy
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Young Guy »

Legion1979 wrote:
You're thinking of War in Space, made in 1977. THAT'S the Star Wars rip off.

Battle in Outer Space isn't perfect, but it's far from trash. Give me a break with that shit. At least give it a watch for it's musical score and special effects.
Oh, yeah. That's the one. I got them both mixed up. Sorry!

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

Why does the Japanese version open with the "distributed by" variant of the Toho logo?

Rodan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Rodan »

I honestly haven't been able to finish it.

This movie is all about showcasing Toho's space effects work. It's incredibly dull.

It's Destroy All Monsters without the monster scenes, and I already find that a chore to sit through. The effects are impressive, but not enough to hang a film on.

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

Also, what the is the deal with the inexplicable "long version" that aired in Japan two years ago? Is it an unfinished version of the film? It doesn't have the destruction of the Golden Gate bridge, has some uglier composites, and a few alternate angles.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Rodan wrote:I honestly haven't been able to finish it.

This movie is all about showcasing Toho's space effects work. It's incredibly dull.

It's Destroy All Monsters without the monster scenes, and I already find that a chore to sit through. The effects are impressive, but not enough to hang a film on.
I've only watched it once, and found it hugely entertaining, but it helped that the guy I was watching it with was super into it. It's really due for another viewing soon. We'll see how watching it with my wife alters my perceptions.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.