Lost Project: Godzilla 3D 1983

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
shinmattiathekaiju
EDF Instructor

Lost Project: Godzilla 3D 1983

Post by shinmattiathekaiju »

The unused plot for Godzilla 3D

Script written by Fred Dekker

Story:

A meteorite crashes into a US SDI defense satellite orbiting the Earth. The collision causes the satellite to launch a nuclear warhead into the South Pacific. The resulting atomic explosion causes a huge reptilian creature to stir. A Japanese fishing ship is lost on its way to San Francisco. The ship is later found, badly damaged and burned and is impounded by US authorities for study. San Francisco Chronicle reporter Dana Martin sneaks past the armed guards and onto the wreck. She finds a prehistoric trilobite lying on the ship, but is startled when a dying Japanese fisherman lurches out of the shadows; his dying words are 'Godzilla'.

Martin takes the trilobite to paleontologist Gerald Balinger, who doubts the worm's authenticity until he examines it. Elsewhere, on Oto Island, near Taihiti, US Special Forces troops watch as a huge creature destroys a native village, roasting the buildings with its fiery breath.

Closer to home, off the coast of Mexico, Navy Colonel Peter Daxton heads the investigation of a sunken Soviet nuclear submarine. Daxton lost his eye years ago during a spy mission. The man who claimed his eye, KGB agent Boris Kruschov, is watching the American recovery efforts from a nearby boat. Kruschov lost a hand in the same fight that cost Daxton his eye, and the Russian now sports a retractable steel blade where his hand should be. The KGB is not really interested in the sub; they want two proto-type missiles that sank with the vessel. The missiles are experimental 'Dragon' anti-fission devices, designed to counter nuclear weapons. Unfortunately for the KGB, Daxton's team recovers the warheads and takes them back to the States. The missiles will be held in impound until the US and Soviet governments have mediated some sort of agreement through the UN. A videotape is also salvaged, recorded by the sub's external cameras and showing the vessel under attack by some sort of reptilian monster.

His mission a success, Daxton returns home to San Francisco. His young son Kevin is waiting for him, an amateur magician and escape artists with a fascination for lizards. Daxton is not home for long before the CIA comes for him. Daxton, Kevin and Gerald Balinger are whisked away to Baja, where the carcass of a huge lizard-like creature has washed ashore. Daxton recognizes it as the creature that attacked the Soviet sub. It must have been killed when the Ruskies fired missiles in an attempt to save their vessel. Balinger determines that the creature is some sort of dinosaur, but the military dismisses the idea, believing it to be extra-terrestrial in origin and putting a 'top secret' label on everything as they set the wheels in motion for a cover-up. The military decides to ship the carcass to the Presidio in San Francisco. Saddened by the dismissal of his theory, Balinger tells Kevin about the legend of Godzilla, a mythical fire-breathing dragon known to the ancient Japanese.

Off the California coastline, a second reptile, this one far larger, surfaces and destroys an oilrig and a tanker.

The dead reptile is stored under guard in a waterfront warehouse in San Francisco for study. The researchers soon begin getting sick, showing all the earmarks of radiation poisoning. Balinger theorizes that the dead creature was like some sort of living atomic reactor, a proto-saur predating even the dinosaurs, with amazing regenerative abilities. He also believes that since the sea disasters are still continuing that there is another of these creatures. A larger one. Heading for San Francisco.

Kruschov, in an attempt to force Daxton to return the Soviet missiles, kidnaps Kevin. The Russian takes Kevin to a KGB hideout in the base of the Golden Gate Bridge. Using his knowledge of magic tricks, Kevin escapes his bounds and tries to run away from Kruschov. Just then, Godzilla appears, battering the Bridge with a swipe of his tail, apparently killing the boy and the KGB agent chasing him. Godzilla menaces the cars trapped on the bridge and panic crawls across San Francisco. Army tanks blast Godzilla, but their attack only provokes him. Godzilla destroys the bridge and comes ashore. His path of destruction levels Ghiradelli Square before Blackhawk Cobra attack helicopters arrive to attack the beast. Meanwhile, Daxton and Balinger hatch a plan to lure Godzilla out of the city and destroy him with the captured Soviet missiles.

F-16 fighters engage Godzilla in Union Square, and during the battle, Godzilla actually grabs up a cable car and swings it at the jets like a flail, battering one from the sky to crash into the Chronicle building. Dana Martin and Balinger head for Alcatraz Island, where they intend to play a recording of the dead reptile taken from the Russian video tape to lure Godzilla to their position. For his part, Daxton loads the missiles onto a Cobra helicopter. As the helicopter begins to lift off, Kruschov arrives, with Kevin. The KGB agent again demands the restoration of the 'Dragon' missiles, and the two spies are soon again locked in battle as the helicopter flies to Alcatraz. Kruschov has Daxton hanging from the landing struts of the helicopter and is about to cut Daxton's grasping fingers when the spy kicks the Russian, knocking him from the helicopter. The KGB agent lands in Godzilla's palm even as the helicopter careens out of control and crashes. Godzilla stares at the Communist spy for a moment, then incinerates him with a blast of atomic fire.

Godzilla goes on a rampage, burning the city with his breath. It is obvious that the beast is looking for something. Godzilla finds the corpse and utters a terrible roar of anguish and rage. Just as he begins to turn back towards the city, Martin and Balinger play the recording. Godzilla turns, heading toward the prison island. Daxton arrives, dragging one of the Soviet 'Dragon' missiles with him. The missile is loaded onto a proto-type attack helicopter, the Scorpion-78. The weapons officer falls out of the helicopter as it takes off, and Daxton, piloting the helicopter, entrusts launching the missile to his stowaway son Kevin. As Godzilla opens his mouth to roar, a sobbing Kevin (who had come to sympathize with the monster) fires the 'Dragon' down the dragon's throat. Godzilla drops, in mortal agony. As the helicopter banks away from the monster, Kevin falls out, but Godzilla catches the boy, setting him down on the island's shore before taking a final, painful breath.

History:

In 1983, director Steve Miner proposed to make an American Godzilla film. Toho approved of the plan, since all they had to do was loan out the image and name of their creation, let somebody else make the film, and sit back and reap the enormous box-office and merchandising rewards. Toho agreed to allow Miner to develop a conceptualization of his film and begin seeking backing from Hollywood studios. Miner started by hiring Fred Dekker to write a screenplay and William Stout to develop some concept sketches. Stout based his Godzilla design on a prototype developed and constructed by paleontologist Steve Czerkas and even made a teaser poster for the film, depicting Godzilla spitting atomic death on the Golden Gate Bridge. Dave Stevens developed numerous storyboards based on the Godzilla designs.

Miner contacted some of the biggest names in Hollywood special effects at the time. Many of them were invited to a special screening of the original Japanese version of Godzilla, King of the Monsters, and excitement was high. Rick Baker was contacted to develop a cable-operated Godzilla head for close-up shots. Stop-motion artist Jim Danforth was also on hand, with David Allen tapped to head the actual animation team. Bids were also requested from ILM and Dream Quest. To further complicate matters, Miner wanted to do this film in 3D, an effect that was enjoying a renaissance at the time. Although producers like Jon Peters and Keith Barish expressed interest in the film, Miner's projected budget of $30 million scared the studios away. The big Hollywood studios refused to spend so much money on what they considered a 'children's' film. By the end of 1984, Miner finally gave up trying to pitch the idea and Godzilla 3D was laid to rest. Interestingly, had this film actually been made, the same team of creators envisioned doing another film. Not a sequel. Another remake. Rodan 3D!

it seems a typical Invasion USA-style of movie from 1980's North America with Godzilla as a plot device.

I hate Godzilla's design.
http://www.kaijuphile.com/rodansroost/s ... la3d.shtml
Last edited by shinmattiathekaiju on Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
Living Corpse wrote:Being underrated and underground is overrated.
Varan Bon Ziller wrote:The lack of Bay is always a plus...

http://www.youtube.com/user/Ultramanmattia1

shinmattiathekaiju
EDF Instructor

Re: Godzilla 3D 1983

Monster Master wrote:TF is with American makers wanting to kill Godzilla with f'n missiles.
God damn.
At least Godzilla would had the atomic ray.

HayesAJones
Keizer

Post by HayesAJones »

Living Corpse wrote:
Monster Master wrote:TF is with American makers wanting to kill Godzilla with f'n missiles.
God damn.
I hate to quote him but I remember Kananko saying something like "it's interesting how Americans can't accept the idea of a monster being immune to their weapons in sci-fi films".

Or something like that.
* "It is interesting the U.S. version of Godzilla runs about trying to escape missiles- Americans seem unable to accept a creature that cannot be put down by their arms."

We're just sore losers I guess.

KaneLocke
EDF Instructor

Post by KaneLocke »

Living Corpse wrote:^ Yeah but isn't the whole point of a giant monster film is that the monster is, you know, nearly unbeatable?
That's the thing: GINO was a disaster flick. Godzilla wasn't a monster in '98.

"You know he's not some enemy trying to evade you; he's just an animal." The line that destroyed the film's credibility.
Proud father, husband, and son.

shinmattiathekaiju
EDF Instructor

Tyler wrote:I thought it was "He's pregnant."
i think it was ''Thats alot of fish''.

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

This would have been like the 1998 movie, but with a different creature. US studios can't accept the fact that Godzilla cannot be stopped with our current weaponry.
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

SuperMonsterZero
Monarch Researcher

Post by SuperMonsterZero »

Godzilla 1995 wrote:Good grief, the suit looked awful. I praise God this film was never made.
That's a stop motion puppet, not a suit. Also, I think I remember reading somewhere that they only built the prototype puppet. But yeah, that thing's a piece of shit.
「大人の世界に神様があるように、子供の世界にミニラ大明神があってもおかしくないでしょう」

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

KaneLocke wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:^ Yeah but isn't the whole point of a giant monster film is that the monster is, you know, nearly unbeatable?
That's the thing: GINO was a disaster flick. Godzilla wasn't a monster in '98.

"You know he's not some enemy trying to evade you; he's just an animal." The line that destroyed the film's credibility.
Exactly. The whole point of Godzilla is that he's mankind's enemy coming for revenge and trying to kill them.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

Starfishman
Monarch Researcher

Post by Starfishman »

Damn does Godzilla look fugly in those photos. Thank god this film was never made

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

The film might have been better than Gino, but it would still be a mediocre product. However, the motive for Godzilla's attack does make more sense.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Zilla103192
Keizer

Post by Zilla103192 »

i love how everyone says this film would of sucked because godzilla was ugly... but that was just the prototype model. not the finished product.

you all know this little button of adorable right?

you know what he looked like in his prototype stage?

looks pretty different doesnt it??

just because the prototype doesnt look good, doesnt mean the final model is gonna be just as bad.
Don't try to be something else. Don't try to be less. Great things are going to happen in your life. Great things. And with that will come great responsibility.

My Official Facebook Page! Like and Share!! https://www.facebook.com/DillonFisherAr ... e=bookmark

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I see nothing bad about the prototype. still cute and furry.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Post by HeiseiGodzilla117 »

Sorry, Zilla. That's a poor example. His prototype was still just as cute. They made some minor tweaks, that's it. That Godzilla was probably going to be hideous regardless.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Zilla103192
Keizer

Post by Zilla103192 »

didnt say it was ugly... said it was different. therefore my case stands.

For all we know. the final model could of looked like this.

and thats not even the FIRST gizmo prototype. there was one on the internet before that showed him UGLY as sin... ill try to find it.

EDIT!!!!!

FOUND IT!!!!

ok... this is the REAL first gizmo prototype...

brace yourselves....

Don't try to be something else. Don't try to be less. Great things are going to happen in your life. Great things. And with that will come great responsibility.

My Official Facebook Page! Like and Share!! https://www.facebook.com/DillonFisherAr ... e=bookmark

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Godzilla should never be orange. It's just not a good color for him.

Zilla103192
Keizer

Post by Zilla103192 »

hes actually brown... the lighting is just weird in that pic

Kubo
Sazer

Post by Kubo »

The orangish spikes were definitely a cool feature in that photo
Giving myself brain damage wishing too hard upon a star.

Twitter: @Dawn_of_the_DED
If you follow me on there, shoot me a DM so I know you're from the forums.

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

I thought it would've been interesting film to see. While probably being put down by some hardcore disenters like Dino DeLaurentis' oft mocked take on KING KONG. But more than likely been more embraced than Emmerich/Devlin/Tatopolis' version of the Big-G. Despite William Stout taking a more dinosauran design, as you can see in this model based on Stout's design.
But still maintain some of Godzilla's destinctive features. The texture of the skin. Humanoid hands with opposable thumbs. And the backplates we all know and love. Also while some complain that Stoutasaurus died after being taken out by a few missles like his '98 counterpart. We must remember that the missles in Fred Dekker and Steve Miner's take of the Monster King's story, were developed to neutralize nuclear reactors. Like the Big-G's own unique biology. Also Toho didn't think the Dragon Missles were a bad idear themselves for they were included in a different form in GODZILLA 1985, deployed by the Super-X in its first confrontation with the Monster KIng. Also the nuclear sattlelte which kicks off the story was also employed in G85 as well. According to rumors, Steve Miner had also snagged the rights to Rodan as well, and if GODZILLA 3D had gotten off the ground ,and been a success. There plans to do a remake of that one as well. I'd give my cousin's left nut to see if there were any designs from Stout for the Flying Terror ?

Also on a related subject, the flick's co-writer, Fred Dekker, as some here may know, directed a flick or two after his collaboration with Steve Miner on the haunting flick, HOUSE. Directed and wrote two fan-favorites, NIGHT OF THE CREEPS ,and the MONSTER SQUAD. The latter dealt with a group kids who have to save the world from the Classic Monsters, Dracula, the Wolf-Man, the Gillman, and the Mummy. The flick didn't do that well, but after getting on cable and VHS, developed quite a following. In an interview back in 2005, Dekker had mention he had a germ of an idea for the follow-up to the MONSTER SQUAD. BAsically he refered to it as The Monster Squad VS. GODZILLA. The idea Dekker relayed was that the father of one of the kids who made up the Squad was an Air Force pilot who encountered a massive sea monster on a mission, and needless to say, it goes on a rampage. And it's up to the Monster Squad to stop it. I wondered afterreading the interview if Stout's unused designe would've been used for the viscious sea beast ?
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

Kubo
Sazer

Post by Kubo »

The One and Only wrote: Image
Get that dinosaur out of here and bring in the real Godzilla -_- Reminds me of Zilla more than anything
Giving myself brain damage wishing too hard upon a star.

Twitter: @Dawn_of_the_DED
If you follow me on there, shoot me a DM so I know you're from the forums.

Starfishman
Monarch Researcher

Post by Starfishman »

Oh hi George Bush's dino twin :lol: Nice to meet you 8-) So.........how's the weather? Oh its nice here in New York. Not much snow left :huge: