Pacific Rim (the big general thread)

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
Drewzilla
G-Force Personnel

Re: Pacific Rim

Post by Drewzilla »

I think unless it's a major money maker who's doing the film (James Cameron, Stephen Spielberg, Michael Bay), companies don't want to take any risks. I mean the Goldan Compass got New Line bought out. That film cost 300 Million and bearly made a quarter of that in the US, and even though it made it's budget back globally, they actually sold rights to everywhere that wasn't US and they lost %75 of the money from the film. I think that's still in a lot of companie's minds even after 3 years.

As for this film, I love del Toro's look in the films he does. I'm very interest in seeing how he does a monster movie. My only complaint is unless it's somewhat aged for a younger crowd, why the PG-13?
wataru wrote:DO NOT eat Walmart's Great Value High Fiber Bars - Chocolate. You will fart for HOURS!

I bought a box and couldnt sleep because I kept farting. You doze off and PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFT! wake up.

Gorosaurus Rex
EDF Instructor

Post by Gorosaurus Rex »

So whyd At the Mountains of Madness fall through?

I'm excited for this though. Could be really fun.
SuperSaiyan4Godzilla wrote: And Godzilla isn't Pixar. The latter deals with children. The former deals with adults who behave like children.

Malchik
EDF Instructor

Post by Malchik »

Hellspawn28 wrote:Inb4 someone said "The age of Kajiu's" is back.
Sigh...

Malchik
EDF Instructor

Post by Malchik »

Hellspawn28 wrote:I was going to have a feeling people are going to say the age of gaint monsters is back now. Unless this and LPG is a super huge hit, I doubt it. Cloverfield hype died out quicky like a week later since the word of mouth went around about the wacky camera movement in the movie.
All the hype was just fan-wank found in Godzilla community.

HayesAJones
Keizer

Post by HayesAJones »

Sounds fun. I'll definitely check it out.

Godzillawolf
G-Grasper

Post by Godzillawolf »

I will watch this. Giant monster films have become much more common recently. Cloverfield did start it if nothing else, but if Godzilla does well, then by all means we might be looking at a new string of giant monsters.

As for this one, I like the looks of it and hope it gets the big screen treatment instead of direct to video.

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

Hellspawn28 wrote:I was going to have a feeling people are going to say the age of gaint monsters is back now. Unless this and LPG is a super huge hit, I doubt it. Cloverfield hype died out quicky like a week later since the word of mouth went around about the wacky camera movement in the movie.
Cloverfield has made a lasting impact believe it or not. We have seen more scifi films relased in Janurary now, and anytime Matt or JJ give an interview about their projects they are always asked when CF2 is coming. Plus Cloverfiled was well recieved by non G Fans as well.

fred25_ca
Monarch Researcher

Post by fred25_ca »

Hellspawn28 wrote:Pacific Rim will be released during summer 2013 and will be produced by Thomas Tull and Jon Jashni for Legendary Pictures and Guillermo del Toro.

http://comicbookmovie.com/fansites/rors ... s/?a=31552

If this comes out in 2013, what about Godzilla now? I mean two gaint monsters movies in one year? Seems unlikely?
Why didn't they give Godzilla to Del Toro instead? Not that i'm complaining, we might get TWO awesome giant monster movies in a short time! :huge:

edit: scratch that, I know why, he was busy with At the mountain of madness while they were seeking a director. I just read Guillermo Del Toro turned down a lot of awesome projects while he was working on At the mountain.

But with Pacific, we might actually get something original in the giant monster genre, though!
My newest monster movie, "Home sweet home":
https://vimeo.com/134487385

shinmattiathekaiju
EDF Instructor

Post by shinmattiathekaiju »

Tyler wrote:Mountains of Madness isn't happening, so Guillermo del Toro (Hellboy, Pan's Lanyrinth) is making this giant monster film is next project!

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/48780

This movie was once thought to be the Godzila reboot, but that's untrue. It's going to be it's own thing and with del Toro behind the camera I'm sure it'll at least look really nice. It's still a shame Universal didn't approve of ATMOM. That could've been the most epic horror film since John Carpenter's The Thing. But I guess not...

Discuss!
Skreooonk you Universal!
Living Corpse wrote:Being underrated and underground is overrated.
Varan Bon Ziller wrote:The lack of Bay is always a plus...

http://www.youtube.com/user/Ultramanmattia1

Darth Calypso
Gotengo Officer

Post by Darth Calypso »

The plot(about the pilot) is somewhat similar to the plot of Godzilla against Mechagodzilla.
Think With Your Dipstick Jimmy
My edited images, drawings, music, and SFX

Killswitch
G-Force Personnel

Post by Killswitch »

Hellspawn28 wrote:Some new info on the plot:

http://comicbookmovie.com/fansites/rors ... s/?a=31678

I got to say that I'm really hype up for the movie now.
That's the plot? For real? Sounds like a joke to me! Call me a skeptic.

Colonel Wolfe
Yojimbo

Post by Colonel Wolfe »

Looks like this movie gives an "honorable nod" to Gojira. Here's what Slashfilm posted about the leaked plot:
This project will give the Hellboy filmmaker the opportunity to create two worlds. The first is an alternate version of Earth in the near future, decades after a historic date in November 2012 when the first kaiju, a towering Godzilla-like beast, emerged from a hole in the Pacific Ocean and attacked the city of Osaka, Japan. The second is “The Anteverse,” another universe on the other side of that gaping portal, 5 miles below our ocean’s surface. Since the first attack, the rim has been “spitting out” a variety of gigantic monsters at an increasing rate, which then stride out of the ocean and begin destroying sea-bordering cities, like Tokyo and Los Angeles. In order to combat these monstrous, otherworldly menaces, the military developed the “Jaeger” program, which trains teams of two pilots to jointly operate massive, building-sized mechanized suits of armor and high-tech weaponry.
http://www.slashfilm.com/pacific-rim-details-revealed/

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

If this a godzilla both make money I see a crossover sequal.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Gorosaurus Rex
EDF Instructor

Post by Gorosaurus Rex »

Colonel Wolfe wrote:Looks like this movie gives an "honorable nod" to Gojira. Here's what Slashfilm posted about the leaked plot:
This project will give the Hellboy filmmaker the opportunity to create two worlds. The first is an alternate version of Earth in the near future, decades after a historic date in November 2012 when the first kaiju, a towering Godzilla-like beast, emerged from a hole in the Pacific Ocean and attacked the city of Osaka, Japan. The second is “The Anteverse,” another universe on the other side of that gaping portal, 5 miles below our ocean’s surface. Since the first attack, the rim has been “spitting out” a variety of gigantic monsters at an increasing rate, which then stride out of the ocean and begin destroying sea-bordering cities, like Tokyo and Los Angeles. In order to combat these monstrous, otherworldly menaces, the military developed the “Jaeger” program, which trains teams of two pilots to jointly operate massive, building-sized mechanized suits of armor and high-tech weaponry.
http://www.slashfilm.com/pacific-rim-details-revealed/
I may get killed for this. But right now I am more excited for this then the LP Godzilla film. I am loving the amount of kaiju we are getting though. This, Godzilla, and Monsterpocalypse? Its a good time to be a fan of the genre.
SuperSaiyan4Godzilla wrote: And Godzilla isn't Pixar. The latter deals with children. The former deals with adults who behave like children.

HayesAJones
Keizer

Post by HayesAJones »

Gorosaurus Rex wrote:This, Godzilla, and Monsterpocalypse? Its a good time to be a fan of the genre.
I was just thinking about this today. It's like a dream come true.

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

Wow so soon? Thats awesome! Like everyone else I'm THRILLED to see more Kaiju films hitting the screen! Plus I can't wait to see Del Toro take on Kaiju. Now all we need is Cloverfield 2 and I'm all set!

Gorosaurus Rex
EDF Instructor

Post by Gorosaurus Rex »

I would much rather get this and other new Kaiju films then a new Cloverfield, so I am more than happy.

StonedHope
Interpol Agent

Post by StonedHope »

Hellspawn28 wrote:Time to update this thread with new info!

Idris Elba (Buffalo Soldiers, American Gangster, Thor) Lands Lead Role In Pacific Rim
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/ ... s/?a=40031
I seen him in American Gangster and Thor, great actor and really looking forward how the movie will turn out.

Charlie Hunnam (Cold Mountain, Sons of Anarchy, Children of Men) also play the lead.
http://www.deadline.com/2011/05/sons-of ... cific-rim/
I have not seen him outside of COM and Cold Mountain but he seems like a decent choice.
Damn I'm getting jealous of this movie. I wish Godzilla had its shit together like this film (it might cause everything is so hush hush right now). Idris Elba he's good, he's a huge presence actor.
I'm worried if this and monsterpocalypse come out before Godzilla, will it soak up everyone giant monster appetite?
I wonder if Green Lantern would be doing better at the box office if it switched release dates with Thor (and would Thor have preformed so well)? Thor had the benefits of being one of the first big movies and superhero movies of the summer.
Currently living in Taiwan (month 9).
If anyone is considering teaching English abroad as a good way to travel. I recommend you do it now and that you consider Taiwan. So far, I think it has the best of Southeast Asia.

AVERY GUERRA
JXSDF Technician

Post by AVERY GUERRA »

The official release date is now set!!:

http://fangoria.com/index.php?option=co ... Itemid=167

AVERY GUERRA
JXSDF Technician

Post by AVERY GUERRA »

Hellspawn28 wrote:If this comes out in 2013 then the chances are that LP's Godzilla movie coming out in the same year is unlikely now? I think LP is doing this first to test if people would go see Giant Monsters or not?
I'm kinda worried that if this comes out first then the general audience may ignore "Godzilla" because of a been there- done that vibe sorta like if you had seen say "Dante's Peak" and then you may very well have bypassed "Volcano". Especially if people don't like this one then they may expect "Godzilla" to be more of the same. We all know that for this to be a success with the budget they're sure to use then it will need as much of the general audience as possible to come see it.