Talkback: King Kong Escapes (1967)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Talkback: King Kong Escapes (1967)

Post by eabaker »

Gothicserpent wrote:So is this Kong the same one from KKvG? Or just a smaller ape that is also named Kong.
There's really no discernable continuity between the two movies.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Captain Aktion
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Captain Aktion »

eabaker wrote:
Gothicserpent wrote:So is this Kong the same one from KKvG? Or just a smaller ape that is also named Kong.
Yeah, it's actually far more likely to exist in the original King Kong's universe than vs.Godzilla.
http://captainaktion.tumblr.com/

This website is for noncommercial use only and is not affiliated with, or authorized or endorsed by Toho Co. Ltd.

Forum Rules and Guidelines Excerpt, Section 10:
Staff Accountability
no moderator, administrator, group moderator, forum leader, site staffer, or former member of the aforementioned groups is exempt from scrutiny

Failure by members or ex-members of leadership to avoid such activity may result in termination.

Know The Score

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Captain Aktion wrote:
eabaker wrote:
Yeah, it's actually far more likely to exist in the original King Kong's universe than vs.Godzilla.
Y'know, I never even thought of that. And I've never seen the Rankin/Bass series, so I can't comment on how well that might bridge it with the original.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Captain Aktion
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Captain Aktion »

eabaker wrote: Y'know, I never even thought of that. And I've never seen the Rankin/Bass series, so I can't comment on how well that might bridge it with the original.
Well...Son of Kong did show that there's more giant apes out there...
http://captainaktion.tumblr.com/

This website is for noncommercial use only and is not affiliated with, or authorized or endorsed by Toho Co. Ltd.

Forum Rules and Guidelines Excerpt, Section 10:
Staff Accountability
no moderator, administrator, group moderator, forum leader, site staffer, or former member of the aforementioned groups is exempt from scrutiny

Failure by members or ex-members of leadership to avoid such activity may result in termination.

Know The Score

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

The island did flood in the end, though. Unless Kong has relatives living elsewhere, that could be it for his species.

Kong was closer to his original size in this film.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

DoctorMafune
Monarch Researcher

Post by DoctorMafune »

eabaker wrote:
Captain Aktion wrote:
eabaker wrote:[

Y'know, I never even thought of that. And I've never seen the Rankin/Bass series, so I can't comment on how well that might bridge it with the original.
Well, Rankin-Bass's series started off with a TV movie (prime time, if I remember correctly) that extensively re-wrote the events of the 1933 film: so that they took place in the 1960s, Kong was discovered by a kid and survived his time in New York, there was no Ann Darrow, etc. (though there was a Capt. Englehorn).

So the RB series doesn't really bridge with the 1933 film: it's set in a continuity where those events never took place, and Kong's first appearance was in 1966.

King Kong Escapes, despite Rankin-Bass's involvement, mostly ignores the animated continuity and depicts Kong as a cryptid (Susan: "You mean he actually exists??") until Nelson reports to the U.N. that not only is Kong real, but there are dinosaurs and the like on Mondo Island. The only features of KKE that I can think of off-hand, that appeared also in the animated series, were Mondo Island, Dr. Who (though he looked nothing like Eisei Amamoto), and Mechani-Kong.

The Monster Times playfully added to the confusion by running an article on the events in Son of Kong, written as if by Carl Denham, in which 'Denham' speculated that the Kong that surfaced in Japan in the 1960s, fighting Dr. Who and Godzilla, was actually the son of Kong, grown up. Nothing more than MT playing to its readership, though...
"Rudeness is the weak person's imitation of strength." -- Eric Hoffer

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Recently rewatched this movie and I gotta say I like even more know then when I was young. The suitmation and miniatures are top notch, acting is great, and plenty of fun and satisfying kaiju action.

gojira96
Monarch Researcher

Post by gojira96 »

It's a shame this movie is often dismissed because it's for children. Suit's aside, it's a very well put together movie.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

gojira96 wrote:It's a shame this movie is often dismissed because it's for children. Suit's aside, it's a very well put together movie.
I like it more now then when I was a kid

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

I think we can all agree that Eisei Amamoto is the best incarnation of the Doctor.

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

Space Hunter M wrote:I think we can all agree that Eisei Amamoto is the best incarnation of the Doctor.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

I'm sad to report that Rhodes Reason, a.k.a. Captain Carl Nelson, passed away Friday December 26 in his sleep. Rest In Peace good sir.
http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/83737/ ... es-reason/
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Space Hunter M wrote:I think we can all agree that Eisei Amamoto is the best incarnation of the Doctor.

Like a Japanese version of John Pertwee.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

AllPowersCombined
Ronin

Post by AllPowersCombined »

I'd love to see this movie one day but I only have my old, American version. I hope I'm not missing much (I know I do).
Very interesting movie. Giant Sea Serpent has to be the most overlook kaiju from the Toho studios.

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

AllPowersCombined wrote:I hope I'm not missing much
Despite the eight minutes shorter runtime, there's really not much cut from the Toho version, and the US cut has the benefit of Rhodes Reason and Linda Miller's dialogue matching their lip movements. Just minor scraps of footage deemed too redundant here and there (they didn't even re-edit the music to accommodate these edits for the most part). Now, what's really interesting is the 58 minute long Champion Festival cut.

KaijuFiend
Rainbowzilla

Post by KaijuFiend »

Just finished watching this film. It was a fun, classic tokusatsu film and is definitely worth a look by any G-fan.

Kaijugriffey
Monarch Researcher

Post by Kaijugriffey »

AllPowersCombined wrote:I'd love to see this movie one day but I only have my old, American version. I hope I'm not missing much (I know I do).
Very interesting movie. Giant Sea Serpent has to be the most overlook kaiju from the Toho studios.
It's actually one of the rare cases where the American cut seems to be the better version. They didn't really change the movie any, and just tightened up the pacing a bit.

I confess this baby is one of my guilty pleasure Toho movies. Yeah it's absurd and stupid. But it is so much weird fun. It has everything. Horrid cheesy acting. Over the top mad scientist. impossible civilian atomic super sub. Plus MechaniKong! (I so want a SHMA MechaniKong to stand next to the various MechaG versions. I know it will never happen. But I can dream.)

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

It succeeds very well in being entertaining and having solid monster action.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

Met Linda Miller today. Very kind. She was a beauty.
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

Mastergodzilla
GPN Volunteer

Post by Mastergodzilla »

I love this movie. It's one of my favorite kajiu movies of all time. And for childish? Yes, the plot is a little bit childish. The movie? My 10 year old brother still can't see all of it (but we do have sesentive parents). Overall, a fun movie that entertains me every time.
:baragon: :destoroyah: :muto: :bagan: :g2k: :monsterx: :gigan: :mechagodzilla: :spacegodzilla: :g64: :godzilla: :tk:
Check out my YouTube Channel, GodzillaFan2004! Has everything Godzilla, from reviews of fan films to fan films themselves! Please subscribe!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCR1qg2 ... 4JEFNvBhCw