The General Godzilla Suit Discussion Thread

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”

What's the best Godzilla suit? The countdown begins.

Godzilla 1954 - ShodaiGoji
5%
Godzilla 1955 - GyakushuGoji
2%
Godzilla 1962 - KingGoji
6%
Godzilla 1964 - MosuGoji
15%
Godzilla 1964 - MosuGoji (B Type Head)
No votes
Godzilla 1965 - DaisensoGoji
2%
Godzilla 1966 - DaisensoGoji/NankaiGoji (B Type Head)
No votes
Godzilla 1967 - MusukoGoji
No votes
Godzilla 1968-1972 - SoshingekiGoji
8%
Godzilla 1973 - MegaroGoji
No votes
Godzilla 1974 - MegaroGoji (B Type Head)/MekaGoji
3%
Godzilla 1975 - MegaroGoji (C Type Head)/MekaGyakushuGoji
2%
Godzilla 1984 - ReturnsGoji/Godzilla84/Godzilla85
5%
Godzilla 1989 - BioGoji
14%
Godzilla 1991 - GhidoGoji
3%
Godzilla 1992 - BatoGoji
No votes
Godzilla 1993 - RadoGoji
No votes
Godzilla 1994 - Mogegoji
2%
Godzilla 1995 - DesuGoji
5%
Godzilla 1999 - MireGoji
6%
Godzilla 2000 - MireGoji (B Type)/GiraGoji
No votes
Godzilla 2001 - SokogekiGoji
6%
Godzilla 2002 - KiryuGoji
2%
Godzilla 2003 - KiryuGoji (B Type)/SOSGoji
8%
Godzilla 2004 - FinalGoji
9%

Total votes: 65

ScouseGojira
GPN Volunteer

Re: Top 5 suits of Godzilla

Post by ScouseGojira »

5)Shodaigoji -The original Godzilla has to have a place in this list as he started it all.
4)KingGoji- As has already been stated very unique design, the first Godzilla to feature three toes and no ears and one of my childhood favourite films, I remember the ecstasy when I saw the DVD in a Wal-mart as a 6 year old, not knowing King Kong and Godzilla were ever in the same film.
3) Bio/GhidoGoji- This suit just looks plain badass, animalistic brown eyes, bulky body and a very cool roar. The most intimidating Godzilla there has been from Toho imo. Godzilla vs King Ghidorah was one of the first Godzilla films I watched.
2) MegaroGoji- Superhero Godzilla! The first Godzilla VHS I owned as a 4 year old was Godzilla v MechaGodzilla, when the marketing drive was in full swing for G'98. I thought it was amazing how this giant atomic lizard kicked the evil monsters ass and twisted the head off the supposedly superior alien built cyborg of himself and as bad as V Megalon was, it was a childhood favourite. Don't think this suit is anywhere near as bad as is made out in some quarters either.
1) LegendaryGoji- Finally Hollywood does Godzilla and makes him as cool as he has the potential to look. A realistic looking giant animal, who looks as terrifying as he does fantastical, this is the Godzilla I dreamed I would one day see and boy was my patience rewarded. I find everything about this guy cool, from the natural looking fins, the bronto feet, the beady eyes, the realistic chest-to-stomach area gto that amazing atomic breath.

Gojira tai Mosura
G-Grasper

Post by Gojira tai Mosura »

Godzilla The King wrote: 1. Legendary/Mire Goji, I love both of these designs for the same reason, a radical redesign done right. Godzilla looks different without sacrificing what makes him Godzilla.
ScouseGojira wrote: 1) LegendaryGoji- Finally Hollywood does Godzilla and makes him as cool as he has the potential to look. A realistic looking giant animal, who looks as terrifying as he does fantastical, this is the Godzilla I dreamed I would one day see and boy was my patience rewarded. I find everything about this guy cool, from the natural looking fins, the bronto feet, the beady eyes, the realistic chest-to-stomach area gto that amazing atomic breath.
Let's just hope they didn't read my post.
Seriously, I dislike two of the most beloved Godzilla designs, it seems.
Gojira Tai Mosura: Clumsiest Toho Kingdom Member Ever.
I disappear for fifteen thousand minutes, come back for two seconds.

Vatarian
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Vatarian »

Gojira tai Mosura wrote:
Godzilla The King wrote: 1. Legendary/Mire Goji, I love both of these designs for the same reason, a radical redesign done right. Godzilla looks different without sacrificing what makes him Godzilla.
ScouseGojira wrote: 1) LegendaryGoji- Finally Hollywood does Godzilla and makes him as cool as he has the potential to look. A realistic looking giant animal, who looks as terrifying as he does fantastical, this is the Godzilla I dreamed I would one day see and boy was my patience rewarded. I find everything about this guy cool, from the natural looking fins, the bronto feet, the beady eyes, the realistic chest-to-stomach area gto that amazing atomic breath.
Everyone's welcome to their opinion, dude. This place wouldn't be very fun or interesting if it were an echo-chamber.

seamus
Monarch Researcher

Post by seamus »

Mosugoji is the next runner-up.

EDIT: I have been living a lie. GMK Goji is utterly fantastic. Maybe it's fair to replace Burning Goji with that suit.
Last edited by seamus on Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'And yet another one?'

KaijuFiend
Rainbowzilla

Post by KaijuFiend »

Gojira tai Mosura wrote:
It's all good, everyone is welcome to their opinion :) As for my opinion on Legendary Goji, it would have been my #1, except it's not a suit :P

AbudJasemAlBaldawi
Monarch Researcher

Post by AbudJasemAlBaldawi »

In no particular order (except BioGoji and 84Goji):

Resized Image

He's like the Joe Pesci of Godzilla suits

Resized Image

My personal favorite, tied with BioGoji. Just looks really massive and mean, face sort of dragon-like and with those fangs almost demonic.

Resized Image

My other favorite. Looks massive, mean, muscular, and agile, with a face that looks like an actual animal.

Resized Image

He just looks like he's going "I'm gonna mess your face up, prick."

Resized Image

Sure, he kind of looks outdated and derpy in some photos, but from the right angle he looks stunning, he just has this kind of dread to him, like a ghost or something.
What do you believe in, heaven or hell?
You don't believe in heaven 'cause we're livin' in hell...

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

^That's a good list.

Red Yoshi
Ronin

Post by Red Yoshi »

1. BioGoji (Extremely realistic, menacing and not overly muscular like the next ones to come)
2. MosuGoji (Very good for its time, looks evil and is very nicely detailed)
3. MegaroGoji
4. ShoshingekiGoji (Grew up with this one, gotta love it)
5. 84Goji

kaijumaikeru
Monarch Researcher

Post by kaijumaikeru »

Edit: Error.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

Here's my list, updated since 2012:

#1: Mosu-Goji (1964) is still my favorite. It is the most perfectly designed Godzilla suit. It appears massive but streamlined, and is perfectly proportioned and fully flexible for the suit actor. Tsuburaya & his crew tailor-made this suit to fit Nakajima, and you can tell they went the extra mile to polish this suit. This is also one of the most expressive Godzillas, conveying a very angry and aggressive creature, always to be feared. I say it again: this suit is perfect.

#2: Daisenso-Goji (1965-1966) has recently shot up in favor to become my second favorite suit. I once criticized it for being a watered-down Mosu-Goji design, but I now think that's unfair. Probably ALL of the Showa suits post-1964 aped Mosu-Goji's design somewhat; more importantly, Daisenso-Goji conveys a remarkably different personality. While Mosu-Goji appears dour & resentful, Daisenso-Goji appears lively, alert, and... Ambiguous. It's hard to tell what sort of mood this Godzilla is in, making him unpredictable and dangerous. The two films this suit was featured in - Monster Zero and Ebirah - present Godzilla as a total neutral, like a living WMD, and Daisenso-Goji captures that personality as well as I could hope. It's my favorite portrayal of Godzilla in the entire franchise.
I gave Mosu-Goji first place for being the perfect Godzilla suit - but to be honest, it is Daisenso-Goji that embraces my ideal image of Godzilla.

#3: Shodai-Goji (1954) might as well have this spot. Although it's not as polished in design for as flexible as later suits, it nevertheless is the first suit. It set the standard for all that was to follow, and rightfully so: Tsuburaya & his crew invented a very spooky, fearsome-looking monster of a different era. Few designs since have appeared so frightening.

#4: 84-Goji (1984) is another suit I've recently become very fond of. It bears the profile of Shodai-Goji, and the dour expression of Mosu-Goji; yet it manages to appear even more massive and malevolent than either of those. FX director Teruyoshi Nakano wanted this Godzilla to appear both sad and frightening, and I think his crew did a superb job at it. There is a definite atmosphere to this design. Although it appeared somewhat inflexible on screen, I understand that is due to the suit being built for a different man than who ended up playing the part, so I don't want to hold that against the suit. If I were to complain about anything, it would probably be that, between the actual suit and the cybot, the head doesn't look quite right. The suit's snout looks slightly too small, and the cybot's snout looks slightly too large. There's just enough inconsistency between the two that both end up looking somewhat off - although I think both could have used slightly smaller eyes as well.

#5: "Legendary-Goji" (2014). I know, this isn't a suit, but frankly I believe this is the most thought-out and polished design since 1964. I don't like all of the individual details, but when put together, the whole is wholly remarkable. I love that the design crew managed to build a modern design over a decidedly "retro" base form. Like Mosu-Goji, this Godzilla appears utterly massive without sacrificing a streamlined form. I don't usually look for "realism" in Godzilla, but I have to admit, Legendary-Goji is probably the most lifelike rendition of the king of the monsters.

Honorable mentions go to:
Sokogecki-Goji (2001)
King-Goji (1962)
Kiryu-Goji (2002-2003)

{---HYPERZeTToN---}
G-Force Personnel

Post by {---HYPERZeTToN---} »

So I saw this thread in the forums and thought it was really interesting, especially to see everybody's take on which Goji suit they like and dislike. Well, here's my list.

TOP 5 IN ORDER:
5. SokogekiGoji (2001)
4. BioGoji/GhidoGoji (1989/1991)
3. KiryuGoji (2002/2003)
2. MireGoji/GiraGoji (1999/2000)
1. ReturnGoji (1984)

BOTTOM 5 IN ORDER:
5. MegaroGoji (1973/1974/1975)
4. DaisensoGoji (1965/1966)
3. GyakushuGoji (1955)
2. SoshingekiGoji (1968/1969/1971/1972)
1. MusukoGoji (1967)

HONORABLE MENTIONS TO IN ORDER:
5. MosuGoji (1964)
4. KingGoji (1962)
3. MogeGoji (1994)
2. DesuGoji (1995)
1. FinalGoji (2004)

STUCK IN NEUTRAL BECAUSE I CAN'T DECIDE WHAT TO SKREEONKING DO WITH THEM IN ORDER:
3. RadoGoji (1993)
2. BatoGoji (1992)
1. ShodaiGoji (1954)
Last edited by {---HYPERZeTToN---} on Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DesuGojiFan
Gotengo Officer

Post by DesuGojiFan »

5- Kiryu Goji (2003)
4- Megaro Goji (1974)
3- SokogekiGoji
2- Legendary Goji
1- Desu Goji

{---HYPERZeTToN---}
G-Force Personnel

Post by {---HYPERZeTToN---} »

Lol so my 10 year old brother wanted me to put his list on here.

TOP 5 IN ORDER:
5. DesuGoji (1995)
4. MireGoji/GiraGoji (1999/2000)
3. KiryuGoji (2002/2003)
2. LegendaryGoji (2014) Not a suit but oh well
1. SokogekiGoji (2001)

BOTTOM 5 IN ORDER:
5. KinGoji (1962)
4. ShodaiGoji (1954)
3. MosuGoji (1964)
2. MegaroGoji (1973/1974/1975)
1. MusukoGoji (1967)

HONORABLE MENTIONS TO IN ORDER:
6. DaisensoGoji (1965/1966)
5. BioGoji/GhidoGoji (1989/1991)
4. BatoGoji (1992)
3. RadoGoji (1993)
2. MogeGoji (1994)
1. FinalGoji (2004)

STUCK IN NEUTRAL BECAUSE I CAN'T DECIDE WHAT TO SKREEONKING DO WITH THEM IN ORDER:
3. GyakushuGoji (1955)
2. SoshingekiGoji (1968)
1. ReturnGoji (1984)
Last edited by {---HYPERZeTToN---} on Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

three
Keizer

Post by three »

My favorites:

1. Godzilla's 1989-91 suit

2. Godzilla 2000

3. Godzilla 1962

4. Original Godzilla

5. GMK Godzilla

Least Favorite:

1. Godzilla 1992-1995

2. Godzilla: FW suit

3. Godzilla 1964

4. Godzilla from SoG

Other suits of note:

the 1984 suit is somewhere in between for me. shots like this:[spoilers]Image[/spoilers] make me love it, but others make it look clowny and lame.

the other design i'm not sold on yet is the LP design. sure, it's cool, but it's not all that much like the traditional Godzilla, and kind of steps out of the norm even compared to suits like G2000. maybe it'll grow on me, and maybe not, but for now i'm just "eehhh" on it.
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

Gojira is:Very Hiroshima®
axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

sir isaac newton is the deadliest son - of - a - bitch in space.

Creature22
EDF Instructor

Post by Creature22 »

5. Godzilla 1975- I feel like this one is a little underrated, but I know it gets a lot of love. I love the other two face designs that this suit had, but the 1975 face kills is for me. It's so much more angry, and really helped with the film's darker portrayal of Godzilla than the previous entries.

4. The tie between 1964/84/55-
These kind of change all the time, going back and fourth. At the time, I can't settle which one I like best. The 1964 design is almost flawless, and it's dark and towering appearance is always appealing. The 1984 design is cool because it had a fresh but similar appearance to the original (as opposed to the more reptilian look from the other Showa films). And the 1955... well, that suit gets a lot of hate. But to me, it's just so eerie. Godzilla, especially in the 1950s, has an eerie tone to him, so I always liked the skinny, fanged 50s Godzilla. It's like the Nosferatu of Godzilla suits.

3. Godzilla 1989- I think this is the best Heisei version of Godzilla. Everything is perfectly proportionate for this suit, and it actually looks real as opposed to the rubbery texture and bulk that the later 90s designs. It's very animalistic.

2. Godzilla 1962- I don't think a lot of the Godzilla suits depend on the design alone, but also on how they are performed in. This suit is a perfect example. There's a lot of reason I like this design (it's cool for sure), but I still can't explain why. I think the primary reason is because it simply looks really great on film, and the suit actor's performance added the character that makes it so memorable.

1. Godzilla 1954- The original Gojira is my favorite Godzilla film, and the suit is my absolute favorite. There's no exception here; it's a classic design and it looks great in the black and white film from nearly every angle. And besides... it's the Godzilla; it's the one that started it all. You have to give him credit on that . :lol:

Sparkzilla14
Samurai

Post by Sparkzilla14 »

#5- Godzilla 1966 (G vs Sea Monster) first G film, suit has sentimental value to me

#4- Godzilla 2000 I like the change up it was new and refreshing

#3-TIED between Godzilla 1984/ Godzilla 1994: (84) Love the spine design and fangs. Like how the main large spines are set lower on his back than the rest. (94) I like this suit for how tall it is and how it shows emotion other than I can't really explain anything else, I just really like it.

#2- Godzilla 1975 ( Terror of MG) Loved this suit, best all around showa suit. The modified head really captured the mean and aggressive Godzilla we all know but while maintaining his herotic ways.

#1- Godzilla 1991 (Modified BioGoji from G vs KG) Best all around Godzilla suit. Bulky, angry, large, animalistic, just everything about the suit screams King of the Monsters
G-Fan since age 3. First G movies (Godzilla vs Sea Monster/Godzilla vs Gigan)

Top 6 Favorite G films: Terror of MechaGodzilla, Godzilla 1984/1985, Godzilla vs Sea Monster, Godzilla 2000, Godzilla vs Gigan Godzilla 2014
Other Fav Toho Films: War of the Gargantuas and Rodan

Favorite G suit(s): MegaroGoji 1975 version and BioGoji KG version

Godzillafan11
Monsterland Worker

Favorite Design or Suit

Post by Godzillafan11 »

What is yours? mine would be these 3- 1991 Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah and 1999 Godzilla 2000 and 1962 King Kong vs. Godzilla
Long Live King Of All Monsters Godzilla

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Re: Favorite Design or Suit

Post by GigaBowserG »

The 1994 suit, from Godzilla vs. SpaceGodzilla. Not one of my favorite G-movies, but it still features my favorite incarnation and favorite monster in the series. G1962 easily takes 2nd place.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

All I know is the original, the Returns, and the GMK suits are by far the largest suits created for the series.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

PRIMEVAL
Gotengo Officer

Post by PRIMEVAL »

There's a few of them that I love, it's hard to really pick a favorite.

-1954 Gojira
-1962 King Kong vs Godzilla
-1964 Mothra vs Godzilla
-1984 Return of Godzilla
-2001 GMK