The General Godzilla Suit Discussion Thread

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”

What's the best Godzilla suit? The countdown begins.

Godzilla 1954 - ShodaiGoji
5%
Godzilla 1955 - GyakushuGoji
2%
Godzilla 1962 - KingGoji
6%
Godzilla 1964 - MosuGoji
15%
Godzilla 1964 - MosuGoji (B Type Head)
No votes
Godzilla 1965 - DaisensoGoji
2%
Godzilla 1966 - DaisensoGoji/NankaiGoji (B Type Head)
No votes
Godzilla 1967 - MusukoGoji
No votes
Godzilla 1968-1972 - SoshingekiGoji
8%
Godzilla 1973 - MegaroGoji
No votes
Godzilla 1974 - MegaroGoji (B Type Head)/MekaGoji
3%
Godzilla 1975 - MegaroGoji (C Type Head)/MekaGyakushuGoji
2%
Godzilla 1984 - ReturnsGoji/Godzilla84/Godzilla85
5%
Godzilla 1989 - BioGoji
14%
Godzilla 1991 - GhidoGoji
3%
Godzilla 1992 - BatoGoji
No votes
Godzilla 1993 - RadoGoji
No votes
Godzilla 1994 - Mogegoji
2%
Godzilla 1995 - DesuGoji
5%
Godzilla 1999 - MireGoji
6%
Godzilla 2000 - MireGoji (B Type)/GiraGoji
No votes
Godzilla 2001 - SokogekiGoji
6%
Godzilla 2002 - KiryuGoji
2%
Godzilla 2003 - KiryuGoji (B Type)/SOSGoji
8%
Godzilla 2004 - FinalGoji
9%

Total votes: 65

RumbleJapan
GPN Volunteer

Re: Top 5 suits of Godzilla

Post by RumbleJapan »

UltramanGoji wrote:Like Jiragozira, I'll do a five worst and five best.
Starting with the worst:

5.) MireGoji
"GASP! How could you hate the MireGoji suit?!?"
Yes, burn me at the stake or whatever, but this suit has never looked right to me, especially in the head. It's too triangular and I don't like his goofy overbite.
The fins are also too jagged and undefined.
The entire suit isn't bad, however. I love the rest of the body and especially the tail. I much prefer the concept design seen in the MonsterArts figure.
http://becominggodzilla.com/wp-content/ ... t14_04.jpg

4.) MusukoGoji
I don't think I can add anything that hasn't already been said. However, I actually love the spines of this guy. They look purty kewl.
http://becominggodzilla.com/wp-content/ ... it6_09.jpg

3.) KiryuGoji
Too stiff and the head is, once again, too triangular. Something's wrong if you can only move your arms horizontally, like Jiragozira said.
http://becominggodzilla.com/wp-content/ ... t16_07.jpg

2.) FinalGoji
Skinny, triangular head, wimpy fins, humanoid shape. This is not a good suit, at all.
http://becominggodzilla.com/wp-content/ ... t17_01.jpg

1.) GyakushuGoji
DEM DRACULA DENTURES. Other than that, too skinny and too derpy looking. The puppet for this guy is awful.
http://becominggodzilla.com/wp-content/ ... it2_07.jpg

And now for my favorite suits:

5.) MosuGoji
I actually hated this suit at first, but now I've grown to like it quite a lot. Not enough to spend 60 bucks on a SHMA though :P.
http://becominggodzilla.com/wp-content/ ... it4_04.jpg

4.) Moge/DesuGoji
I actually prefer the SpaceGodzilla/Destoroyah suit over any other Heisei suit. Yeah, he may have Thunder Thighs, but so what? He's a big lumbering behemoth.
http://becominggodzilla.com/wp-content/ ... t13_03.jpg

3.) DaisensoGoji
I severely enjoyed Ebirah, Horror of the Deep and this Godzilla suit looks great. I don't get why so many people hate it, it's not THAT bad.
http://becominggodzilla.com/wp-content/ ... it5_09.jpg

2.) LegendaryGoji
Oh baby do I love this design. Maybe it's leftover hate of the 98 movie, but the Legendary Godzilla design was possibly the greatest thing about the new movie. THIS is what an American made Godzilla should look like.
http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2014 ... _Art_2.png

1.) KingGoji
This is what comes to mind when I think of Godzilla. This is the quintessential Godzilla suit for me. I love everything about this guy. I'm hoping dearly that he gets a new, affordable figure soon from either Tamashii or Bandai Creations.
http://becominggodzilla.com/wp-content/ ... it3_10.jpg
No joke, but I love the chicken dance that came with the KingGoji suit. Id like to make an update to my list and replace KiryuGoji with KingGoji. Chicken dance beats spiny fins.
Visit my fan site: Goji Database

Gojira tai Mosura
G-Grasper

Post by Gojira tai Mosura »

UltramanGoji wrote:
Gojira tai Mosura wrote: MireGoji was heavily loved?

KingGoji is loved?
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/imag ... Os_kKnc_Ti

And you've been in this fandom for, how long?
I don't know. This is honestly the first Godzilla Fan community I have ever been in.
Gojira Tai Mosura: Clumsiest Toho Kingdom Member Ever.
I disappear for fifteen thousand minutes, come back for two seconds.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Gojira tai Mosura wrote: KingGoji is loved?
Very much so. Doesn't seem to get a lot of love these days from younger fans, but most older fans absolutely LOVE this design.

LazerWhale
JXSDF Technician

Post by LazerWhale »

Alright, I'm going to do my Top Four worst and Top Five best. Worst, first, because I just want to get it over with.
4: GyakushuGoji
All I can say about the suit is: why. To me, it just takes all the things that I like about the original suit and throws them out the window. It's too thin, it's face is too flat and long, the teeth are just too much and, overall, it just feels like an "awkward teen" monster, not an unstoppable titan.

3: DaisensoGoji
Now, Invasion of the Astro Monster was one of my first Godzilla experiences, but I have no nostalgia for this suit. This is where I really feel like the Showa suits were going downhill. It doesn't look menacing, it doesn't look powerful, it has a featureless body and just look at that face!

2: SoshingekiGoji
Now, I like that it's gotten a little more menacing. That being said, it still has a very featureless body, and I just think it looks more like a frog than anything else.

1: MusukoGoji
"OH HAI DERE KIDS!" I just don't know what to say that hasn't been said. It doesn't look like Godzilla to me. And I don't think that it looks child-friendly at all. That thing's more terrifying than any other creature in a Godzilla movie.

Best.
5: MogeGoji (Burning)
I don't like the Heisei design very much. It's too soft, too inflated. I hate the cat face, and the big eyes this very suit had. But when I saw this suit light up with the glow of what almost looked like hellfire, Godzilla didn't just impress me, it thrilled me. Even makes the features I hate look good.

4: MireGoji
This was the first Godzilla suit I ever got too see, when my grandmother came home with the brand-new VHS tape. It was glorious on screen. Aggressive, feral, vicious. I loved the colouring on it, especially when our T.V. was somewhat dark. The reason it's only number four is because I now find the spines too large, though they work for the look, and the face is kind of derpy from some angles.

3: ShodaiGoji
The first, the classic. I love it's bulk, I love the spines, no design has used that specific spine shape again. It has one of the best profiles of any suit. The derpy eyes throw me off, though, and the legs lack definition.
2: FinalGoji
Image or 84Goji ImageI know, I know. I should hate the suit and the movie without question. But I don't. It was one of the first DVDs I watched, and it was good, over-the-top cheesy fun. This suit might be the only slender design that I like. The tail's just long enough, and I love the red eyes. It feels more unique to me than anything else. My only problem with the suit is the fact that I prefer my Godzilla's to be burly.
Now, 84Goji is tied with it because it was the first Godzilla design I found actually menacing. It's basically the 54 suit with more refined features, though it lacks the cooler fins and I find the eyes and head too big.

1: For suits, KiryuGoji.
This suit basically fixed the problems I had with MireGoji. Smaller spines, reduced teeth, bulkier body, and more focused eyes. Glorious. This might be the only suit I don't have an issue with.

Overall though, my favourite design is LegendaryGoji.
Perfection.

Sorry for the wall of text, there.
Last edited by LazerWhale on Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
Lazer's Art Thread:viewtopic.php?f=19&t=21430&view=viewpoll
My DeviantArt: http://lazerwhale.deviantart.com/
Just because someone likes something you don't, don't treat them poorly for it.
But,
Just because someone doesn't like something you do, don't treat them poorly for it, either.

Lest We Forget

Kaiser
G-Force Personnel

Post by Kaiser »

Might as well post my own bottom 5 since everyone else is jumping on the bandwagon.

5. King - I know, I know, it's heresy to bash this suit but the gator head has always looked off to me.
4. '84 - an awkward mash-up of Shodai and later Heisei suits, it has a sort of vacant expression that doesn't really carry any sense of menace to me.
3. Megaro - it's way too friendly looking with those puffed up cheeks and giant eyes.
2. Gyakushu - looks awkward as hell with its giraffe neck, potato shaped head, and crooked teeth.
1. Musuko - nothing needs to be said here.

Gojira tai Mosura
G-Grasper

LazerWhale wrote: Image
Perfection.
"Godzilla saved our city! Hooray!"

"GOD DAMN IT YOU JUST STEPPED ON MY WIFE! SKREEONK YOU!"

ILL GREEN
Gotengo Officer

Post by ILL GREEN »

I like Kingoji because he's like the husky brute of the Godzillas. I must admit he does got a goofy head.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Gojira tai Mosura wrote:
"Godzilla saved our city! Hooray!"

"GOD DAMN IT YOU JUST STEPPED ON MY WIFE! SKREEONK YOU!"
Please don't quote images, especially ones as big as that.

LazerWhale
JXSDF Technician

Post by LazerWhale »

See, I was worried the images would be too big. But, I don't know how to make them smaller.
Lazer's Art Thread:viewtopic.php?f=19&t=21430&view=viewpoll
My DeviantArt: http://lazerwhale.deviantart.com/
Just because someone likes something you don't, don't treat them poorly for it.
But,
Just because someone doesn't like something you do, don't treat them poorly for it, either.

Lest We Forget

Kaiser
G-Force Personnel

Post by Kaiser »

ILL GREEN wrote:I like Kingoji because he's like the husky brute of the Godzillas. I must admit he does got a goofy head.
See, I've never quite understood why he was so popular. The whole suit's just never worked for me. When I see the Mosu or Bio suits, I immediately think 'Godzilla'; when I see Kingoji, I feel like I'm looking at some Godzilla knock-off. It...just doesn't look quite like him to me.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:1. MosuGoji
2. BioGoji
3. G84
4. GMKgoji
5. Final Goji
Revised list.

1. GhidoGoji - What else can be said. Godzilla has never looked more badass and pumped up than he did here.
(Its sad that the suit designs from here on out took a drastic drop in quality.)

2. Goji84

3. MosuGoji - The pinnacle of the Showa era. One of the most menacing suits created for the franchise.

4. GMK - Another great menacing suit. I love the white eyes and huge claws on his hands and feet. Only qualm is the suit does look a tad off from certain angles but that's mostly due to the design not quite translating properly from concept to costume. Its also seem built a little too big for the actor inside.

5. Final Goji - Alright just like GMK the suit does look off from certain angles but others its looks extremely menacing and badass. Also like GMK I really love the claws on this guy. Don't get fans hate for this Godzilla being "slim". He's definitely no skinnier than any of the Showa Godzillas.
Last edited by Tyrant_Lizard_King on Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

20th Century Boy
Futurian

Post by 20th Century Boy »

Here's my revised list, starting out with the worst:

Worst

5. Godzilla 2014
Okay, I'm going to get a lot of hate for this one, but I don't care. I don't like the skin pattern at all; Godzilla should have the appearance of radiation burned or rocky skin, not patterned lizard skin. The segmented tail is ugly and the head is a little too small and box-like. The only reason why this isn't lower on the list is because it's actually Godzilla, and it feels SO GOOD to have America get the basic idea right after all these years.

4. Godzilla 2002
I used to love the design, and I still like the concept: A blend of the lean, spiky Miregoji combined with classic Godzilla. But the execution is pretty bad. There are angles where he looks completely derp, and the whole thing just seems stiff.

3. Godzilla 2004
Too humanoid and the face is just off. Sometimes it comes across as too lightweight, destroying the illusion that it's supposed to be a giant monster.

2. Godzilla 1967
The rest of the body is good, but... yeah, the head...

1. Godzilla 1998
I'm actually more lenient to considering this as a Godzilla design than most people. When it stands upright and embraces its cartooniness, it looks quite good, even for a Godzilla design (albeit a HEAVILY modified one). The animated series and some promotional images and toys did a good job at this. But the movie version, however, looks fugly and unappealing. It's made worse by the fact that he's not upright and he's considerably smaller than what Godzilla is supposed to be.

Best (Pretty much all tied for my favorite design, so this is probably not even in order.)

5. Godzilla 1999 - The perfect reptilian Godzilla
Exaggerate Godzilla's dinosaur qualities while still making him the same upright radioactive guy we love, and voila. It really feels like a "reimagining" of Godzilla for the new Millennium. Works both as a hero and an antagonist. The only reason this isn't higher on the list is because he's stuck with the same single expression all the time. I mean, technically most Godzillas are, but it's just a lot more noticeable and bothersome here...

4. Godzilla 1954 - The perfect Classic Godzilla
Terrifying and appealing at the same time. Iconic. There's not a bad angle on him. It's amazing how they got it perfect the first time. (Well, technically it's the second suit they built since the first one weighed too much, but still...)

3. Godzilla 1995 - The perfect emotional Godzilla
Once again, another one of those Godzilla designs that is just perfect. What sets this apart from many others, however, is the fact that it's enhanced by the amazing "burning" effect. It's a cool one-time thing and it really makes it unique. I love the face, it just naturally displays emotion. Kenpachiro Satsuma's performance also enhanced my appreciation. Despite the fact that this is a list of designs and not portrayals, I just felt like I had to mention that.

2. Godzilla 1989 - The perfect menacing Godzilla
Has a huge sense of weight and power, lack of easily visible eyes make it frightening, and there's a lot of detail to the teeth. I don't know what to say about this one that sets it apart from many others, but it's easy to see why it's such a fan favorite.

1. Godzilla 1964 - The perfect Showa Godzilla
Menacing, but oddly loveable and cute in a subtle way. They just got everything right, from the skin texture to the facial expression to the proportions of everything in his body. It's fantastic.

Gojira tai Mosura
G-Grasper

I guess I have to do my least favorite suits as well.
Let me put it in bold text so people know that I'm not listing my favorite.

Least Favorite Godzilla Designs:
#5:
GyakushuGoji:
You'd think by the second film they would've learned their lesson with the ShodaiGoji suit and try to make it slimmer but still retaining the intimidation factor. But no, we got ol' Grandpa Godzilla with his teeth rotting out. Other than that, there is absolutely nothing impressive or redeemable about this suit. It's just bad. But I do have some kind of respect for it, since it is the second suit.

#4:
84Goji:
Now, before you send me hate mail. Let me explain.
I don't have any problems with 84Goji other than one thing: The head.
I'm sorry, but any intimidation in the 84Goji suit is immediately lost for me when I see the head. It looks terrible! So many people bash the MusukoGoji suit for having a terrible head, but this one has an even worse head in my opinion. When your Godzilla suit isn't scary and instead looks funny, you did something wrong.

#3:
Daisenso/SoshinigekiGoji

Both of these suits are equally bad. They aren't intimidating, they aren't cool, and their heads suck. Seriously, what is it with the Showa Era and Godzilla's with wrinkled skin? Look at them.
While I feel that SoshinigekiGoji does look slightly worse than Daisenso, I feel that Daisenso should share the same spot since this suit came right after MosuGoji. That is pitiful.

#2:
Mire/GiraGoji

I don't think I'm going to be able to escape the hate mail this time. To me, the head on MireGoji is great. But it all falls flat everywhere else. The skin is terrible and on certain angles it looks like he even has fur, which makes it look cheap.
His face looks intimidating at first, but over time in the movie and you just get sick of him always looking angry. This is one of the reasons I loved KiryuGoji. He was quite expressive and had eyes that could grow and shrink depending on the situation. This guy is just always angry and pretty soon I just got sick of it. What's worse is that this was the suit that came after DesuGoji, a suit that was beautiful and fit a Burning Godzilla better than anything I could imagine. This suit is just kinda... dinosaur. Not Godzilla just... dinosaur. I never really fell in love with the spines either, but I will admit they're pretty cool. Too bad KiryuGoji's spines look better with that bone white texture.
My least favorite part of the suit is how they colored it. One of the most annoying stereotypes of Godzilla is that he's a big green dinosaur that spits fire. What does this suit turn him into? Exactly that. A big green dinosaur who spits fire. Not the giant cool guy we always believed he was. What saves this suit is the cool head and that despite it being at #2, I don't hate it. I still look at the suit sometimes and think it's cool, but I certainly don't think it's as good as people (PIPEWORKS) think it is.

#1:
LegendaryGoji

Take every single issue I had with MireGoji (except for the weird fur part), remove the cool head and replace it with a dumb one, give him bleak & boring red eyes and make him look like he has a smooth aquatic belly and you have why I genuinely hate this Godzilla design.

Now that I've said it, I'm running for my life.

Gojora
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gojora »

My top favorite suits:
5.84Goji-it's kind of menacing but one thing that doesn't makes it really menacing, his Derpy eyes.
4.Miregoji/Giragoji-i would love to put these guys higher but one thing's that doesn't lets them is...too much spikes on his back?
3.Mosugoji-that one moment......
2.Shodaigoji/Gyakushugoji-i know their not the same but hey letting these two on the number two spot is kind of worth it, espescially with either destroying a city or battling a giant ankylosaurus just puts him here.
And for my number one drum rolls please.
:rimshot: :rimshot: :rimshot:
1.A tie between Kinggoji and Ghidogoji.
TK's Touhou resident.
Basically the only guy here that likes the Shadow Arena.
RIP Shadow Arena, it was my favorite place...
Resized Image
Kaijunator wrote:
Derzerb wrote:Apocalymon makes this fight one-sided since he can flat out delete enemies or he could just wipe out the entire dimension.
Delete enemies. Lol.
Apocalymon: I want to delete my opponents. *goes to computer* and delete! *presses delete button, all enemies get deleted*.

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

[quote="UltramanGoji"]Like Jiragozira, I'll do a five worst and five best.
Starting with the worst:

5.) MireGoji
"GASP! How could you hate the MireGoji suit?!?"
Yes, burn me at the stake or whatever, but this suit has never looked right to me, especially in the head. It's too triangular and I don't like his goofy overbite.
The fins are also too jagged and undefined.
The entire suit isn't bad, however. I love the rest of the body and especially the tail. I much prefer the concept design seen in the MonsterArts figure.

3.) KiryuGoji
Too stiff and the head is, once again, too triangular. Something's wrong if you can only move your arms horizontally, like Jiragozira said.
Godzilla

KingZillla
Interpol Agent

Post by KingZillla »

KiryuGoji (Godzilla 2002/2003)
MireGoji (Godzilla 2000)
BioGoji (Godzilla vs Biollante)
Final Goji (Godzilla Final wars)
DaisensoGoji (Invasion of Astro Monster)
We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent... Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." -The King Returns, 2016.

Let them fight - 2019

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

>he likes those suits

KaijuFiend
Rainbowzilla

Post by KaijuFiend »

Least favorite suits:

4) KingGoji - Yeah I know, fan favorite, but I've always thought it looked pretty bad. The reptilian qualities are nice, but the head is so small and squished-looking. It's kinda like someone bound cement slabs to the upper part of Godzilla's head while he was still growing.

3) DaisensoGoji - Pig-ish nose and eyes on the top of the head... No thanks.

2) FinalGoji - You can't even see the eyes most of the time, and the mouth looks bad when opened. Face feels too scrunched.

1) Musuko-Goji - Shortly after she laid the egg, Jirass left him on that island. That. Damned. Island. Full of Kamacuri who always cruelly mocked him, and Kumonga, who constantly harassed Godzilla with his web spray. He tried to destroy the egg on multiple occasions, but he could never bring himself to do it. "There's an innocent baby in there..." he would always think to himself. The thought of having to constantly care for a kid was frightening for Godzilla, and that coupled with the bullying drove him into a deep depression. He was trapped; unable to leave the island because he couldn't swim while carrying the egg, and leaving it behind was as good as killing it. He couldn't stop trying to drink his sorrows away, and as a result, gained a lot of weird body fat, including a beer belly and quadruple-chin. On his worst days, he turned to meth. It messed up his face and made his plates bend in unnatural ways.

Next post will be top 5 favorites!
Last edited by KaijuFiend on Mon May 25, 2015 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KaijuFiend
Rainbowzilla

Post by KaijuFiend »

Now for my top 5 favorites!

5) DesuGoji - A very menacing-looking Godzilla, especially when in meltdown mode. This suit is memorable not only for how iconic Burning Godzilla is, but for the great effects achieved that involved the suit. From freezing to melting, it's quite the sight to behold. The Heisei fatness keeps it from being great, though.

4) BioGoji - Easily my favorite head, because when I think of Godzilla, I think of the cat-like qualities and double rows of teeth. It's the style of Godzilla I grew up on - I had the Trendmasters figures as a kid, and the Heisei films were all the rage back then. But while it may be among the least offenders of the Heisei fatness, it still does have that problem.

3) ShokogekiGoji - A zombie-like look that I love. This Godzilla is simply so all-around creepy, and the suit is highly mobile and expressive. Potbelly does hold it back somewhat, though.

2) ShodaiGoji - The original just has this devilish, asshole-like appearance that makes him hateable, lovable, and engaging all at once. A true classic, and iconic in every sense of the word.

1) MosuGoji (with the Mothra vs Godzilla head) - Probably the most menacing-looking in terms of eyes, this suit is all-around wonderful. Strikes a good balance between fat and thin, great dorsal plates, and a nice mouth shape. The eyebrows may seem odd at first, but they don't look bad, and they really work to give the head a very wide range of expressiveness.

Vatarian
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Vatarian »

1: Mire Goji. The spikes, the teeth, the cat-eyes.... All the things others dislike, they make this suit a masterpiece in my eyes. Godzilla looks ferocious, predatory, inplacable. Tied with LegendGoji.
2: Legendary Godzilla. This guy just looks big and brutal. Other Godzillas will blast you apart with their beams. This Godzilla will crush you into the earth and break your skull like an egg. He looks like a cross between a bear, a crocodile, and an eagle in the best way; majesty, intimidation, and power incarnate.
3: Godzilla vs Mothra BFR suit. Say what you will about his thunder-thighs, or the fact that he couldn't really bend his elbows. This Godzilla was, for me, the definitive design of my childhood, and is still one of the first images to come to mind when I picture the King, despite the various shortcomings. He's unstoppable, and the suit's girth, angry visage, and massive fangs carry this across nicely. By extension, this rank is also held by many of the other Heisei suits.
4: Burning Godzilla. This guy'd be much higher on the list if I didn't tyink of his heart-rending death everytime I visualize the suit. He looks amazing, but the movie is just so sad.... You know he's going to die, and that just sort've takes some of the fun out of it.
5: Godzilla 1985 suit. I don't know why; I just like it. Probably because of the movie it appeared in.