Rejected Godzilla Concept Art

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Zilla103192
Keizer

Rejected Godzilla Concept Art

Post by Zilla103192 »

ok, there was a concet art thread before, but they were proven to be fake... this picture included.

but in the newest issue of G-fan, its been confirmed that these 2 designs are infact legit rejected concept designs for the Big guy!

so what do you think of them? i personally like the first one alot. but the second one is meh.
Don't try to be something else. Don't try to be less. Great things are going to happen in your life. Great things. And with that will come great responsibility.

My Official Facebook Page! Like and Share!! https://www.facebook.com/DillonFisherAr ... e=bookmark

Gorosaurus Rex
EDF Instructor

Re: Rejected Godzilla Concept Art

Post by Gorosaurus Rex »

I like it, but it could be better. Fine with them being rejected.
SuperSaiyan4Godzilla wrote: And Godzilla isn't Pixar. The latter deals with children. The former deals with adults who behave like children.

Bluezilla
Interpol Agent

Post by Bluezilla »

Agree with you. Hate the dorsal spines on the second along with its tyrannosaurian head.
The first very traditional looking Godzilla.

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Post by HeiseiGodzilla117 »

First one is decent, second one is WAY too much like a T-Rex. Hopefully the final choice will be good.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Zilla103192
Keizer

Post by Zilla103192 »

theres only 3 things i dont like about the first one.

-the back spines look funky
-he seems too thin IMHO
-he's green!
Don't try to be something else. Don't try to be less. Great things are going to happen in your life. Great things. And with that will come great responsibility.

My Official Facebook Page! Like and Share!! https://www.facebook.com/DillonFisherAr ... e=bookmark

Zilla103192
Keizer

Post by Zilla103192 »

no, the article was written RIGHT before news about Edwards was announced. so it actually says nothing has been said since comicon

HayesAJones
Keizer

Post by HayesAJones »

First one is okay, second one just isn't Godzilla.

Not a fan of the triangular, crocodilian tail spines on either.

Bluezilla
Interpol Agent

Post by Bluezilla »

The more I look at the first design the more it reminds me of the Marvel comics Godzilla with larger
secondary spines.

Hotrod93
G-Force Personnel

Post by Hotrod93 »

First:
I love the design, really does give it that Godzilla look, but it also gives it the Godzillasaurus look. The vibe I get from this is that of the early Showa series Godzilla.

Second:
Ok who couldnt see why this was rejected, its too much like the 98 design and they knew it.

What they are going for is a Godzilla thats Tripedal(using his tail to stand on) that also can ran like a biped. I really hope this doesn turn into a 98, after looking throught those photos im now worried and cant stop thinking "What went wrong?".
Tyler wrote:$200 if I hump a car.

GodzillaIsCool
Interpol Agent

Post by GodzillaIsCool »

Aside from the second one looking like ass, they were probably rejected because they were too boring.

They have to spice up Godzilla just a little bit.

Hotrod93
G-Force Personnel

Post by Hotrod93 »

GodzillaIsCool wrote:Aside from the second one looking like ass, they were probably rejected because they were too boring.

They have to spice up Godzilla just a little bit.
YOu cant really go to "extreme" with the designs cause of two main reasons:

You spice it up too much fans will hate it.
You spice it up too much it takes away from the concept of Godzilla.

Godzilla himself isnt really that "out there", Hes just a dinosaur with dorsal fins who stands upright. The most spiced up Godzilla we'll every see is the G2K/GxM design.

A simple lovible design will do just fine as long as the give him the right personality.
Tyler wrote:$200 if I hump a car.

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Post by HeiseiGodzilla117 »

They should really use the t-shirt design. I know LP themselves didn't create it, but it just looks right. And badass I might add.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

KaneLocke
EDF Instructor

Post by KaneLocke »

Inferno Rodan wrote:Honestly, I probably wouldn't have complained if the first one made it into the movie. I don't think it's particularly great, but it doesn't suck. The second one though... it's friggin' GINO all over again.
That second one isn't GINO... it's almost EXACTLY like Godzilla NEO.

But I agree otherwise.
Proud father, husband, and son.

Arrow
Gotengo Officer

Post by Arrow »

I agree with pretty much everyone else. The first design isn't bad. Not great, and a little on the blander side, but I wouldn't have really complained should it have been on-screen. And the second one is pretty bad.

shinmattiathekaiju
EDF Instructor

Post by shinmattiathekaiju »

I like the first one even if it is too slim.
Living Corpse wrote:Being underrated and underground is overrated.
Varan Bon Ziller wrote:The lack of Bay is always a plus...

http://www.youtube.com/user/Ultramanmattia1

hammysammy59
G-Force Personnel

Post by hammysammy59 »

First one looks great, second one is a T-Rex with dorsal spines. I would have had no gripes if they went with that first design. I'm excited to see what they end up going with.
Haters gonna hate

shinmattiathekaiju
EDF Instructor

Post by shinmattiathekaiju »

The second one looks like an Allosaurus with Stegosaurus dorsal spikes. :lol:
Living Corpse wrote:Being underrated and underground is overrated.
Varan Bon Ziller wrote:The lack of Bay is always a plus...

http://www.youtube.com/user/Ultramanmattia1

KaijuX
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by KaijuX »

It's a shame that the two concepts were scrapped. But maybe they have something better in mind, I dunno. I'd personally go with design number 1, because it's freakin' classic. Nothing against the second one, it fits with the entire dinosaurian thing well. :)
KWC Co-Operations Manager and Resident Wumbo.
Soggy Noodles wrote:Anno brought back Showa ambition by doing smaller scales, morals and trying to examine humanity.

Seshita brought back Heisei ambition with absurd powerscaling, rad fights and fat asses.

Pair of kings.
MoarCrossovers wrote:We snorted crushed Morbius DVDs and snail shells

Blackout286
JXSDF Technician

Post by Blackout286 »

So these are the concept arts huh?
The first one does have a Showa feel to it, and seems like the Marvel Godzilla but more..aggressive looking. Which makes it look pretty good.

The second one is just a flat out no...

Well, at least we have some unused concept to add to Godzilla 2012 concept art section when its made.

goji1986
JXSDF Technician

Post by goji1986 »

zilla103192 wrote:ok, there was a concet art thread before, but they were proven to be fake... this picture included.

but in the newest issue of G-fan, its been confirmed that these 2 designs are infact legit rejected concept designs for the Big guy!

so what do you think of them? i personally like the first one alot. but the second one is meh.
I don't think they're actual concept sketches. It was more of a joke on behalf of the author. Quoted directly from the mag: "In the current 'no news' situation, G-FAN offers two concept sketches for the Legendary Godzilla. They were submitted to the company execs...but rejected."

Let's not get all worked up over these.
PM me for Godzilla versus The Sea Monster Titra Dub HD reconstruction! BLURAY-READY EDITION NOW AVAILABLE!
(Former V2.0 still available as well)
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5561

Godzilla vs The Smog Monster AIP Dub HD reconstruction COMPLETE!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=26132